• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Neogaf ever met a celebrity? Tell your stories here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other day I walked past Rula Lenska as she was going into a newsagents.

A mate threw a mini-frisbee at Dave (Game Animal) Perry at ECTS while he was chatting to a 'booth-babe'.

When I was little (and you could actually get down Downing Street) I waved at then PM Maggie Thatcher coming out of Number 10 and she waved back (and then stole my milk (probably)).

I met Shigeru Miyamoto, and got my copy of Animal Crossing (Gamecube) signed at an event in London in 2003. Since I was one of the first 15 people in line (#15; talk about lucky), I also got a free signed copy of Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past on GBA as well.

He was scheduled to start signing stuff at 1.00pm. I showed up at 12.00am, 13 hours early, and there were already people there. Apparently, the guy at the front had been there since 1.00pm the previous day. We all had sleeping bags and GBA's. We all had a great time, and the queue built up really fast, despite it being the middle of the night. By morning, we couldn't see the back of the line. When the event started, they had to stop people from joining the line, as there were too many. There must have been at least a thousand.

Here's a picture I found online:

gen001430.jpg

That's just the basement, where the event was held. It's hard to see, but there are people packed all the way to the very back of the floor. The queue wrapped around the whole basement, went up the escalators, out the front doors, and well into the street. I'm actually the guy in the very bottom right of that picture, with the thick coat and short blond hair.

When Miyamoto appeared, he was awesome. He did a little dance when he walked in, and waved to everybody. He greeted everybody when it was their turn, and shook their hand, as well as sign their game. He was supposed to be there for about two hours, but he line was so enormous (there must have been at least a thousand people, had flew from other countries just to see him), he stayed for an extra hour in order to see everybody.

I also met Hideo Kojima and Yoji Shinkawa (lead artist for the MGS series), and had my copy of Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes signed at another London event for the launch of Metal Gear Solid 3.

The guy was a douche. He showed up late, sat down without a word, signed stuff without saying anything, or even smiling, and then left the minute his scheduled time was up, again without saying a word, leaving behind about a hundred people who were still lined up. Security were also really funny about anybody saying anything to him, taking pictures, etc.

Xun

Met Danny Boyle before/been to his house.

He's the father of one of my friends.

Oh and I saw Rowan Atkinson briefly in the Apple Store.

Medalion

Banned
Ben2749 said:
I met Shigeru Miyamoto, and got my copy of Animal Crossing (Gamecube) signed at an event in London in 2003. Since I was one of the first 15 people in line (#15; talk about lucky), I also got a free signed copy of Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past on GBA as well.

He was scheduled to start signing stuff at 1.00pm. I showed up at 12.00am, 13 hours early, and there were already people there. Apparently, the guy at the front had been there since 1.00pm the previous day. We all had sleeping bags and GBA's. We all had a great time, and the queue built up really fast, despite it being the middle of the night. By morning, we couldn't see the back of the line. When the event started, they had to stop people from joining the line, as there were too many. There must have been at least a thousand.

gen001430.jpg

That's just the basement, where the event was held. It's hard to see, but there are people packed all the way to the very back of the floor. The queue wrapped around the whole basement, went up the escalators, out the front doors, and well into the street. I'm actually the guy in the very bottom right of that picture, with the thick coat and short blond hair.

When Miyamoto appeared, he was awesome. He did a little dance when he walked in, and waved to everybody. He greeted everybody when it was their turn, and shook their hand, as well as sign their game. He was supposed to be there for about two hours, but he line was so enormous (there must have been at least a thousand people, had flew from other countries just to see him), he stayed for an extra hour in order to see everybody.

I also met Hideo Kojima and Yoji Shinkawa (lead artist for the MGS series), and had my copy of Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes signed at another London event for the launch of Metal Gear Solid 3.

The guy was a douche. He showed up late, sat down without a word, signed stuff without saying anything, or even smiling, and then left the minute his scheduled time was up, again without saying a word, leaving behind about a hundred people who were still lined up. Security were also really funny about anybody saying anything to him, taking pictures, etc.

lol @ pic of guy trying to kiss the girl, assuming girlfriend, and she's all disgusted and like "no!" :p

My favorite celebrity that I have met is Rivers Cuomo. I met him at the Nintendo World Store! It was a last minute signing, so not that many people showed up. He had some down time so he broke out some stitching. :lol

Medalion said:
lol @ pic of guy trying to kiss the girl, assuming girlfriend, and she's all disgusted and like "no!" :p

Haha, funny you should say that. A bunch of us kept in contact for a little bit over AIM after the event, and when that picture started appearing online, she herself was a bit embrassed that that's exactly what it looks like too. :lol It's actually just an unflattering photo taken at an awkward angle. If you look closely, you can see the guy is stood a fair distance in front of her.

I think you'll find that it's the guy behind my shoulder who was looking for a kiss. That's why I myself have such a stern look on my face.

bud

broony said:
  • Danced with Kelly Brooke

what kind of dance was it? did you press your chest against hers and where did you put your hands?

either way, i think you'd win... if it hadn't been for the guy that got to meet TOMMY FUCKING WISEAU

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
A few different people I've met, Jewel Staite (got a photo too :D) from Firefly / Stargate Atlantis, err a few different V8 Supercar drivers like Craig Lowndes, Peter Brock before he died obviously... yeah that's about it :/

gcubed

<---- BC about 10 years ago. Was at a book signing and it went way long, I was one of the last people there, talked to him for a good 15 minutes he was in no rush to get out. He sat at a Borders drinking beer all night. He called some girls boyfriend on her cell phone and left him a message. Great guy

2lar30m.jpg

and my pure douchey looking picture... and fuck, i look NOTHING like this anymore.

25k61lf.jpg

gcubed said:
<---- BC about 10 years ago. Was at a book signing and it went way long, I was one of the last people there, talked to him for a good 15 minutes he was in no rush to get out. He sat at a Borders drinking beer all night. He called some girls boyfriend on her cell phone and left him a message. Great guy

2lar30m.jpg

and my pure douchey looking picture... and fuck, i look NOTHING like this anymore.

25k61lf.jpg

This is it. If we have to pick a winner, you are it.

You have no idea how much I envy you.

Trent Reznor after a small show in 1990. He was actually really cool. I'm a lifetime NIN fan since late '89 when PHM released.

gcubed

Lé Blade Runner said:
This is it. If we have to pick a winner, you are it.

You have no idea how much I envy you.

ha, it was such a long time ago too. I was at a screening of My Name is Bruce last year in Philly where he intro'ed and did a Q&A session for a while afterwards. Was awesome. One of the few who doesnt take himself seriously at all and loves the fans.

thomaser

Ben2749 said:

gen001430.jpg

Yep, that's one of the places I met Miyamoto :) I came there four hours before the signing, saw that the line was long but not THAT long, and went out for a walk. Came there an hour later, and the line was suddenly THAT long. It took a good three or four hours from he went in until I finally got my game signed, and during that wait, security told us several times that we probably wouldn't get to him because time was almost up. Several people around me believed them and gave up. Luckily, he decided to sit much longer than planned. And he was still signing things long after I got out of there.

orion434

I met Henry Winkler on the streets of Manhattan and I made eye-contact and all I could think to do was the Fonz's thumbs-up AAAAA. Well I got one of the dirtiest looks in my life, I also took an elevator with Cindy Crawford in the Revlon Building, didn't even realize it was her until someone pointed her out.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
gcubed said:

[]http://i48.tinypic.com/2lar30m.jpg[/IMG]

[]http://i46.tinypic.com/25k61lf.jpg[/IMG]

You win. He is one of the few celebs I think would be cool to meet.

GodofWine

I met Dennis Rodman, Carmen Electra (they were together), Ronnie Lott, and..wait for it......Regis Philbin, all at the same marketing convention...and Ben and Jerry, from Ben and Jerry's ice cream.

This is one of those topics that always comes around again, so I'll C&P my post from the last thread:

I once got stoned with the original lineup of the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

658hoj.jpg

This was at West Virginia University in 1986*. One of the college radio DJs/concert-booker was in my fraternity. One evening I was getting a soda and his door opened and he looked out and saw me. He grabbed me and pulled me into his room. It was dark and thick with marijuana smoke. He introduced me to the band and we all shared a joint before they had to leave for the club. I went early to the show and they autographed something for me. I still have it, though I couldn't find it just now. I remember that Flea signed it, "I fucked your mom 9 months before you were born."

* I couldn't remember the exact year (I saw them twice at the same bar), so I visited the band's wiki page. The random photo of a promotional flyer is from the VERY SAME show I'm talking about! :lol
x5ctie.jpg

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Sasha - met him at a house party in Miami, was sitting down on a couch chilling and he came over and asked for a light. I almost didn't recognize him, age hasn't been too kind to him. Later went over and asked for a pic.

Tony McGuiness from Above and Beyond - was at Ultra Music Festival 09, saw him walking around during I think Booka Shade's set (?), my friend and I got into a conversation with him, we were talking about NYC and stuff.

Ferry Corsten - met during a few "meet and greet" events, one of the most down to earth people I have ever met.

Mick Foley - haven't actually went up and introduced myself to him, but he lives nearby and I see him occasionally around town.

WarMacheen

Famous people I've met:

Triple H - Visited my company in the military
Stacy Keebler - same
The Rock - had a conversation and gave directions to nearest Gold's
Kurt Angle (autograph)
Muhammad Ali - (picture with, hit me in the jaw lightly)
Arnold Schwarzenegger - as governor
Miss America 2002 - (picture with)
Jimi Haha - Jimmie's - Chicken Shack (had a beer with)
Arn Anderson - (autograph, airport)
Rick Flair - same
David Flair - (airport)
Richard Gere
Charlie O'Connell - (Airport, post Sliders)
Couple presidents
Couple secretaries of state
Bob Dole - (told me to drink Pepsi)
LL Cool J
Kim Cattrall

And a few others, mostly due to work I used to do

Pinball Clemens (CFL Football guy): I was trying to sell him an LCD monitor in the Oakville Future Shop when I was filling in.
Stana Katic (Actress): Her sister worked with me, and once when she was visiting her at work, we had a cigarette outside our store.
Red Green (Actor): Bought a computer from my Future Shop in Hamilton.
Joe Satriani (Musician): Saw him perform in Toronto to support the Engines of Creation tour, stood in front of his tour bus while he signed for autographs and posed for pictures.
Hinder (band): Didn't know any of their music, but signed autographs anyway. They were opening for Motley Crue.
Brian Melo (Canadian Idol winner): Signed autographs when the Ancaster Future Shop opened up. Talked to him very briefly in the warehouse where he camped out until he went outside. Even had a posse of bodyguards follow him when he took a piss.
Charles Barkley (NBA Athlete): Met him at a bar in Blue Mountain where he was golfing for the Wayne Gretzky Golf Tournament. Tapped him on the shoulder to say "That's cold, Obi-Wan." (His line in Clerks Animated). He gave me a look like "WTF?" After I explained to him that he said it, he said "Oh, I was in that??" And proceeded to buy my friends and I a round of shots.
Jason Mewes (Actor): He did a solo "An Evening With.." engagement in a small club in Burlington, Ontario. He signed his autograph with "I love pussy."
Cheryl Pounder (Athlete): Worked with her during the Bell Olympic Mall Tour across Southern Ontario
Gordon Ramsay (Celebrity Chef): Book signing in Burlington, Ontario
Anthony Bourdain (TV travel/Celebrity Chef/Author): Book signing recently in Rochester, NY. Thanked me for coming all that way to see him.

thomaser said:
Yep, that's one of the places I met Miyamoto :) I came there four hours before the signing, saw that the line was long but not THAT long, and went out for a walk. Came there an hour later, and the line was suddenly THAT long. It took a good three or four hours from he went in until I finally got my game signed, and during that wait, security told us several times that we probably wouldn't get to him because time was almost up. Several people around me believed them and gave up. Luckily, he decided to sit much longer than planned. And he was still signing things long after I got out of there.

Those people who left got burned. But not as badly as the people who arrived before me and left, leaving me to get spot #15. Originally, it was supposed to be the first 10 people who arrived that would get a free signed copy of Link to the Past, and before I arrived, there were two people who showed up and left when they realised they wouldn't get a copy. It was shortly before the event started that they said they'd give copies to the first 15 people, since we had been waiting so long.

Sucks to be the douchebags who left. Who goes to a signing (14 hours early no less) JUST to get a free game? Since getting something else signed and meeting Miyamoto in person wasn't enough of an incentive for them, then I'm glad they lost their free game.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
the last time this sort of thread popped up someone mentioned they checked out alton brown at a grocery store.

whoever that was, you win.

Woodsy

Banned
Talked to Carrot Top in the Vegas airport about 5 years ago for 5-10 minutes waiting for a flight. That was earlyu in his plastic surgery days before he totally looked like the Joker, but seemed like a pretty normal guy.

soyboy

I hung out with Anna Paquin once.

I had a crush on her best friend who worked in the same store i was working in but different departments. After her friend quit we all ended up going out for drinks. I basically ignored Anna the entire time we were in the bar since she was being really annoying and girly while we were playing darts. I didn't realize who she was until she left and a couple of guys rolled up to me in the bar wondering how i knew Anna Paquin.

Saw Alice Cooper and his son's new band a few months back in Phoenix. Shook their hands, congratulated them on their successful professions, that's all.

jergrah

- My dad was in the Army when I was in 7th grade and worked with/was good friends with Tony Pena's (Baseball Catcher) cousin. We lived in NJ at the time and the Cardinals (Pena's team) were playing the Phillies. I got to go to the game, go in the Cardinals dugout and meet Ozzie Smith, Pedro Guerrero and Tony Pena. They gave me a baseball and all signed it. I also got to play catch with Ozzie Smith and hit a few baseballs with Pena's bat out on the field. Game got a rain delay in the 4th inning and was ultimately postponed.

- Also when I lived in NJ, I was on the 'All-Star' basketball team and we made the regional championship and got to play at the Spectrum a few hours before a Sixers v Bucks match. A handful of players from both teams came out during our practice and talked with us (Barkley wasnt there as he was hurt). Most memorable was getting my picture taken with Manute Bol who was like 7-7 or whatever and I was probably 5-2 at the time.

- Ran into and chatted with Shawn Kemp a few years ago at a small bar in Seattle (he was already out of the league)

- Ran into Captain Lou Albino (RIP) at a rest stop in NJ when traveling with the aforementioned b-ball team to a game. He chatted with our whole team and signed my WWF magazine I bought there.

- At this past year's PAX in Seattle I bumped into the 3 hosts of The Totally Rad Show outside of Pacific Place and talked to them for a bit --- though they arent really celebs.

- 2 American Idols: The beatbox dude who came in 2nd a few years ago, Blake?, he is from the city I live in outside of Seattle and Ive ran into him at the burger joint down the road 3 or 4 times. The other one is the kid from a few years back that Simon said looked like some sort of monkey with the huge eyes and he got a bunch of pub from that. He also lives in the same area as me apparently, I see him waiting at a bus stop down the hill quite a bit and my wife and I have seen him working at Macaroni Grille as a waiter/bus buy and a few weeks ago he was working at the local Target.

CaptainABAB

jergrah said:
I got to go to the game, go in the Cardinals dugout and meet Ozzie Smith, Pedro Guerrero and Tony Pena. They gave me a baseball and all signed it. I also got to play catch with Ozzie Smith and hit a few baseballs with Pena's bat out on the field.

That sounds awesome!

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Oh shit how could I forget... met Shiggy at E3 2006.

Not linking to the pic, was way too fat back then :lol
It's on Twitter though so meh

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Oh yeah, I saw Tim Allen (Santa Clause 2) at a gas station in Michigan, he must have pooped his pants on the road because he smelled awful. It was kind of weird.

Baker

Banned
I met two of my favorite horror actors at a convention and fucked up both pictures.

Nice and lovely picture with Doug Bradley until my friend pointed out that even though he was the FIRST guest we met, my armpit was already completely soaked through a black shirt.

21q1zp.jpg

Later on was Kane Hodder. I brought a machete for him to sign. I wanted to have a terrified look on my face, but I was so goddamn giddy that he was pressing it against my neck (HARD) that I ended up with a dumbass smile on my face.

30crml1.jpg

Other random celebs I've met:

- Ernest P. Worrell
- Dexter Holland (lead singer of Offspring) in like '94
- Handful of wrestlers (Jericho, Trish, etc.)
- Bunch of horror movie people
- Kerry King (Slayer) talked to me on my friend's cell phone which was one of the most surreal moments of my life

Other random celebs I could/should have met:

- Next door neighbor's cousin is J.K. Simmons. He comes around every year or two.
- Buddy's wife's cousin is Keri Russel
- Buddy's wife's cousin #2 is Kris Draper so they've hung out in the Red Wings locker room after games and shit
- Friend in college was the MTV Fanatic (that old tv show) for Jewel
- Got split up with a buddy at a metal festival and he ended up hanging out back stage for like four hours with Machine Head and some other people

bjaelke

Morten Andersen. He was part of the group I went to Wembley with and watched NFL in October 09. Cool guy but my god he talks a lot...

Stewe Irwin. Met him before one of he famous shows in Australia Zoo back in 06. He shook my hand before the show which resulted in me having a man crush on him for the rest of my trip.

LosDaddie

Banned
I've met most of the Orlando Magic team. My firm has season tickets with courtside passes (where the Magic come out of the tunnel). So if you get to the arena early enough (or stay late enough), the players will talk to the fans and sign autographs.

I've also met a good amount of FSU (my alma mater) football players. I had Ernie Sims on my XBL friends list, but he removed me a while ago.

EviLore said:
I've trained with some well known pro MMA fighters, that's about it I think.

Not only does EL own the best forum on the 'net, he can also kick your ass! :D

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I saw Har Mar Superstar in Camden once and my girlfriend stopped in front of him and went "Fuck me it's Har Mar Superstar!".

He wasn't all that impressed...

Az

Sat next to Chris Marquette at the Atlanta Airport smoking a cigarette. Pretty cool guy.

Also at the Atlanta Airport told The Iceman he's the man.

Had coffee with some Bosnian singers that are really famous.

I met Garrison Keillor while waiting in line at the St. Paul International Airport. We had a brief conversation (can it even be called that?) about how much I love the Prairie Home Companion and what I major in. He's as mild mannered, warm, and generous as I expected him to be.

Met Lars ulrich at a alice in chains/stone sour concert. He was standing alone and people were all looking at him, scared to say anything so I went over to him and talked to him for a while. Surprisngly nice guy and I was really surprised to see him just standing in the back of the crowd.

Less celebs I have met and talked to everyone in the dillinger escape plan, raunchy and enter shikari. I also shook hands with Bill Clinton when he was here this year (or late last year...), I didn't own his book or anything but I saw him when leaving the store.

In my dreams I had sex with Kristen bell and Sarah Chalke, many times.

Edit : Forgot Rudi Völler when I was little. I got a picture my parents took of him holding me at training and me crying my heart out. :lol

Zapages said:
Video games:

I've met and interviewed Ben Mattes of Ubisoft Montreal. Also I have a bunch of friends there. Also I've exchanged emails with Jordan Mechner. He is a really a genuine and nice person. :)

Family:

My Aunt is a daughter of the owner of one of the largest newspapers in Pakistan.

My other Aunt is a daughter of some folks in the Pakistani military.

So I get most of the news concerning Pakistan from them... :) Trust me its nothing real special though. :)

My aunt lives in Canada. She's a nurse.

My other aunt lives in Florida, and her mom (my grandma) also lives there. So I pretty much have direct access to whatever's going on in their town. But I don't ever ask them about it.

Seriously, your post...wtf?

skybaby

Hellraizah said:
Met Simon Collins in an elevator in Toronto. He was playing at that particular hotel. From his look, I thought he was one of the musician so I asked :

"Hi, are you playing here today?"
"Yeah"
"What's you name?"

He looked at me like I was SOOOOOOOOO out of touch and said :

"I'm Simon Collins!!!!!" (he is Phil Collins son)

"Huh, ok. Nice to meet you" even though I had my "Who?" face.....
This reminded me of a cousin of mine that toured John Glenn around the football stadium he worked at, right after his 1998 space shuttle flight. Even though he was all over the news, he didn't recognize him and Mr. Glenn and his entourage gave him shit the entire time they were together :lol

linkboy

Back in 94, my mom worked for a dentist and his son was the camera dolly operator on the set of Dr. Quinn (I know).

We got to watch them film some scenes and got to meet the cast. Highlight was when my brother, the producer and Shaun Toovey (the young kid) got in a snow cone snowball fight.

I met Bubba Paris (49ers OL men from the 80s) at an Awanis event.

Was standing in line at a taco place on south beach, turned around and Lenny Kravitz was behind me. I told my friend who thought I was joking and screamed "I hate that guy" right in his face....

Meier

When I was a kid, I met Shaq when he played in Orlando. Was walking to the Downtown Public Library with my mom and he got out at a lawyer's office across the street. I was freaking out and went up and shook his hand and said "Thank you, Mr. O'Neal." He responded, "Don't call me Mr., it makes me feel old." This was of course when he was like 22 or 23. Highlight of my life at that point in time.

Got to hang out for a night with Bruce Campbell after a screening that was done at FSU's movie theatre. Funny, funny guy. Very down to earth.

Played pingpong/hung out at a BBQ with Mark Tremonti and a few of the other guys from Creed/Alter Bridge (no Stapp fortunately). Also hung out some with Johnny Damon at a Creed concert. My bro is good friends with Mark so he's been able to do a lot of stuff with them over the years and I got to tag along a few times.

My brothers were batboys for the Orlando Sunrays/Rays when we were younger so we got to sit with the players' wives and scouts at games. I got to meet a lot of the players on the team and other teams over the years including Frank Thomas, Chuck Knoblauch, etc.

My cousin was a ballboy for the Magic so I got to meet a bunch of Magic players too but I was quite young. My hero was Dennis Scott since I was pretty pudgey and could shoot the 3... he was the biggest dick in the world. :(

I've met musicians after shows and stuff and had some classes, etc. with FSU players but I haven't really bumped into too many celebs on the street outside of Shaq that one time. Almost forgot, I used to play Halo with Brodrick Bunkley a lot back when we were at FSU. I didn't even know it was him originally.. he was just "Brod." Blew my mind when it clicked.

Baker

Banned
Meier said:
When I was a kid, I met Shaq when he played in Orlando. Was walking to the Downtown Public Library with my mom and he got out at a lawyer's office across the street. I was freaking out and went up and shook his hand and said "Thank you, Mr. O'Neal." He responded, "Don't call me Mr., it makes me feel old." This was of course when he was like 22 or 23. Highlight of my life at that point in time.
My grandma knew someone in the Magic organization when Shaq played there. She got a ball signed by the whole team. This was around when Shaq broke his thumb, so he traced an outline of his splint next to his signature.

My grandma (who is seriously 100% certifiably insane) proceeded to take her own marker and write "HA HA HA" with an arrow pointing towards his sig. I tried to sell it back before the internet really took off and no trading card store wanted anything to do with it.

theJwac

Johnny Knoxville cut me in line once in Las Vegas. He was a lot shorter than me (I'm only 5'10") and he had a lot of ladies with him.

I met Angelina Jolie at the benihanas in bevery hills, CA on mothersday 2003. I brushed my hand across her butt when I hugged her, haven't showered since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom