• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has there been FFX HD impressions yet?

It came out today or yesterday in jp right? Noticed a few streams on twitch, but have there been any written impressions yet? resolution framerate, hows them new character models etc.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It came out today or yesterday in jp right? Noticed a few streams on twitch, but have there been any written impressions yet? resolution framerate, hows them new character models etc.

From what I've heard, there are additional loading screens that weren't in the original, and the character models look fine at times, and incredibly shitty at others. Not sure about frame rate issues. Dude playing on a stream last night said he hadn't had any issues.

Ratrat

Reviews on amazon seem really positive.

Recurring negatives are usually about the altered models and music.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
wait the new OST is not an option? Like the old one isnt in there?

I remember you can switch between ost's in like ff4 psp

That was then, this is now. You will devour the new music as they shit it into your ears.

which is a nice way of saying, there's no option for the old music

MormaPope

Banned
That was then, this is now. You will devour the new music as they shit it into your ears.

which is a nice way of saying, there's no option for the old music

From the FFX remaster music thread:

So many bad changes, here are songs so far that have been trashed.

9. Normal Battle
18. Besaid island
19. Spira Unplugged (translated name is different, I listed the original English title of the song.)
24. Summon
27. Yuna's theme
30. Calm Before the Storm
32. Luca
34. Inflexible Determination
39. Mihen Road
50. Thunder Plains
58. Scorching Sanubai Desert
77. Wandering Flame

I loved the original versions of all these songs, the remastered ones sound like weird knock offs.

The site itself with the samples: http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/sem/page/FFXHD/

Some legitimately great songs have been fucked up.

Dunan

Does the remaster contain Japanese/English bilingual subtitles like the International version did?

The English translation of this game is so good that I prefer it over the original.

ffdgh

Aww the music is changed? I hope challenge and seymour's final battle is still good.

Time to listen to the samples first tho.

Famassu

The site itself with the samples: http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/sem/page/FFXHD/

All of those rearrangements sound really good, there's nothing "fucked up" about them (as in, that they'd sound completely horrible in a Resident Evil Dualshock Edition kind of way). The Besaid Island song is a beautiful one, even if a little bit different from the original.

I can understand people complaining about Besaid, but you're out of your mind if you think the new Spira Unplugged sounds bad

MormaPope

Banned
All of those rearrangements sound really good, there's nothing "fucked up" about them (as in, that they'd sound completely horrible in a Resident Evil Dualshock Edition kind of way). The Besaid Island song is a beautiful one, even if a little bit different from the original.

I'm just going to flat out disagree.

MormaPope

Banned
I am, too.

There are some solid arrangements in there, but the OST didn't need to be fucked with, and they really screwed up a fair number of tracks, judging from the samples they put up.

That's my biggest issue with the newly arranged tracks. If changes should be made they should be made for the better, not to put a new twist on what's already been established. Making something new just for the sake of that being new is dumb.

Having played through most of FFX recently, the majority of the soundtrack hasn't aged one bit.

ffdgh

Listened to a good bit of them and it may be nostalgia but yeah....Some of them sound off but a select few do sound good. Some of the tunes sound too soft like besaid, auron's theme and the thunder plains. Movement in green(#28) starts out good but afterwards...

Tohsaka

Does the remaster contain Japanese/English bilingual subtitles like the International version did?

The English translation of this game is so good that I prefer it over the original.

The Japanese version doesn't have English text, unfortunately. The Asian version (with Chinese text) doesn't either.

any reason why at the very least the ps3 version not have the original OST?

well this being japan, they probably lost the only backup on a floppy disk years ago

Dragon

Banned
From what I've heard, there are additional loading screens that weren't in the original, and the character models look fine at times, and incredibly shitty at others. Not sure about frame rate issues. Dude playing on a stream last night said he hadn't had any issues.

From what I could tell on the stream, the fades to white that were common in the original have been replaced by loading screens. But I could be wrong. If there are additional load screens then LOL at SE.

Wow, I loved the new besaid island song.

Edit: The Victory Fanfare is so much better too.

Edit 2: OH SHIT! The sample number 12 got a lot better too!!!!!!! March can't come soon enough.

anaron

The tracks aren't even remastered, they're straight up remixed and sound like some of those shitty YouTube fan jobs.

Wandering Flame aka the best song in the game and the one that needed to be preserved above all else, is tarnished.

-Horizon-

That doesn't sound good D:

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
Found a youtube walkthrough, a decent chunk of the game has been uploaded. Part one is below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCWSLa2g0d8

EDIT: This uploader is trying to go after the Platinum trophy, so we'll be able to see a lot of the game before March.

I've forgotten so much about these games - watching the second video there, I totally didn't know what he was doing learning the overdrives. It'll be fun to play this when it's released stateside.

Nah, Yuna's theme sounds better. However, they messed up the f'ing prelude theme! WTF. Also Besaid Island doesn't sound bad when the violin kicks in. Listening to the game rip atm...

And there are streams out there. I was watching a guy who's trying to beat the game in one sitting. But not trying to watch too much since I'm waiting for my copy next week.

Edit: Now actually listening to the soundtrack, the rearrangement doesn't sound bad at all. Heck, I think Besaid Island sounds really good as well. The prelude theme is actually growing on me too.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
I can't believe how fucking bad "Besaid Island" sounds now, that was my favourite tune :( it has lost all character.

Negator

Been watching streams on Twitch and the remastered music is a huge mixed bag. Some arrangements sound so good, but others just make me go WHY

juicyb

Wait.... they fucked with the OST? One of the best videogame OST's of the ps2 era? Sigh.... it's a no buy for me then

ZeroX03

Banned
There's not enough room on blu-ray discs obviously.

My bet is they will offer "Classic Music" DLC

*Vita carts. Doesn't this game push the space pretty hard on Vita?

Don't see why it couldn't be an option on PS3 though. Parity or w/e dumb reason.

Korezo

I just YouTube the new besaid island theme and of course I new it was over reaction from people. It sounded just as good. The old one is super basic.

Top Bottom