• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has there been FFX HD impressions yet?

anaron

idk why they didn't allow the option for both versions of the music...
Seriously. They know people loved the original music as is and the sound quality was already good to great. Just leave it in as an option to please the people you're selling it to instead of forcing something on them they may not like, especially when it is arguably the most memorable aspect.

Valnen

The game is out in Japan. It's not an option.

Do we have a gaffer confirming this?

Also the new OST sounds fine honestly. I was worried when I watched it in the trailers, but the mix sounds better than it did in those in the actual game and on the OST samples, so I'm not worried.

Valnen

Kagari.

It's not an option. This is old news that's been known for a while, if you've been following the game.

I don't believe Square-Enix has actually said it's not an option, so unless people have had this game for awhile now it's not "old news". It just came out.

Astral

Stop complaining about the music. We need Vita impressions. If this doesn't run well I'm gonna cry. That always seems to be the case with the Vita.

Sean*O

Well shit, I've had this game prepaid for months but I think I will drop it and get a refund if no OST option exists. New Square has lost it if they think it's OK to change the music in a FF game. They aren't even giving a real reason for doing so.

That OST holds up fine to this day, much better than any of the uprezzed textures they are using on the visual side.

They shit on Uematsu and Nakano with this move too.

Whompa

I don't even remember the old music enough to notice...I just watched the first 15 or so minutes on that video and I seriously could not even tell that it's been rearranged.

Atlantis

My impressions after watching a few minutes of streaming is that Tidus and Yuna's models are awful while the rest of the cast looks great. (Lulu and Auron especially)

Looks like they tried too hard on Tidus and Yuna and just missed the mark completely.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I may be willing to buy the Asian Chinese version if it is out. I'll check it out and give impressions if it is available and reasonalbly priced.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the original composers remaking their own respective songs for this project?

Most of uematsu's stuff went untouched, actually, from what I can tell.

And..wait..the cutscenes still aren't skippable?!

And someone was wondering file sizes..I can't find the link I got the info from anymore..., but FFX/x-2 on the PS3 is 24GB, and X is 6GB while X-2 is 3.5GB on Vita IIRC.

I haven't played the original release (for both) so I can't make comparisons, but the game is really crisp (except when transitioning to combat, the screen then goes pixelated for that time).
I don't have any issues with the music (and no, no option to play original music), the framerate is good at all times for now, and yes, there are some weird faces made from time to time...

After one initial loading at the beginning that is slightly longer than the rest, any other loading I've seen has been blazingly fast.

No skippable cutscenes, I tried everywhere but CG movies, goes into pause screen or just does nothing.
Speaking of pause screen, WHY does X-2 give the option to go back to title screen, but X does not? Why :(

As a side note, I've been playing only a few hours on both versions, and my copy is the downloadable one on PS3.

Pooya

Vita native res and no slowdowns?

here is a couple of vita shots

iFX3QW1.jpg

wPDz82N.jpg

Coonce

So did they ever end up changing Tidus' face? I remember there was a thread a while back that showed how childish his HD face looked compared to the PS2 version.

Tagg9

10 second loading times between areas is pretty bad, but everything else looks good.

Clearly a lot of effort went into this port.

Square Enix will gladly charge you $10 for a original sountrack DLC pack at some point in the near future I am sure.

Not a chance. I'm sure the thought never crossed their mind that people would prefer the original soundtrack.

Whompa

Bonus question: does any unboxing video ever matter? It's a guy opening a box.

Also wow Tidus in 2001 lol. That's something alright. March needs to happen right now ugh.

didn't square do a dlc for audio to a recent game but not charge for it for the first few weeks of release or am I hallucinating?

ranmafan

Been playing my vita copy of ffx since last night. Wanted to try out the ps3 copy but I only got my package literally minutes before I ran out the door to go on a a little vacation, so I can only talk about the vita one. From what little I've played so far, the game looks great. As others have said, really crisp, the characters looks very nice most of the time. I wish they could've done a little more work on getting the mouths to sinc with the characters voices some more though. The remix tracks aren't terrible but it's very noticeable and can be a bit off putting at times, at least it was for me. But also I'm starting to grow to them. I'll have to see what my final opinion is as I get more into the game. Game runs great on the vita. No problems what so ever. Even the occasional load screen is quite quick. It's just as fun as it was on ps2.

Overall very very very happy with the remake so far. I still can't believe I'm playing this on a portable. With this and Bravely Default for the sequel being my christmas presents this year, it's going to be a fun week for me game wise.

Shinta

Banned
Been playing my vita copy of ffx since last night. Wanted to try out the ps3 copy but I only got my package literally minutes before I ran out the door to go on a a little vacation, so I can only talk about the vita one. From what little I've played so far, the game looks great. As others have said, really crisp, the characters looks very nice most of the time. I wish they could've done a little more work on getting the mouths to sinc with the characters voices some more though. The remix tracks aren't terrible but it's very noticeable and can be a bit off putting at times, at least it was for me. But also I'm starting to grow to them. I'll have to see what my final opinion is as I get more into the game. Game runs great on the vita. No problems what so ever. Even the occasional load screen is quite quick. It's just as fun as it was on ps2.

Overall very very very happy with the remake so far. I still can't believe I'm playing this on a portable. With this and Bravely Default for the sequel being my christmas presents this year, it's going to be a fun week for me game wise.
Play it with headphones on. I bet the tracks will grow on you very fast.

MilkBeard

I officially have this game preordered now. You can put me into the camp that doesn't mind the remix/remastered tracks, mainly because I didn't really play through the original game and develop an attachment to them, unlike some of the older games like FF VI/VII.

I'm not seeing it listed anywhere, so I'm guessing that there is no dual audio option for Japanese voices. Should be alright I suppose. They have enhanced the original voices' audio quality (or rather, have used the higher quality voice files instead of the compressed ones from the PS2 release). Still, that doesn't help bad English voice acting.

Either way, I'm still looking forward to playing an older Final Fantasy game that I had originally passed up for the most part.

No skippable cutscenes, I tried everywhere but CG movies, goes into pause screen or just does nothing.

Oh god, I remembered that
Seymour battle in Mt. Gagazet
... I watched the cutscene before it 290294 times because I died repeatedly. And then again.

I don't want to do that again :( I hope they patch in the ability to skip cutscenes.

Oublieux

FFX is one of the better FF games I've enjoyed in my lifetime but, honestly, these remixes do not bother me too much. I've just listened to Normal Battle and Besaid Island remastered, and I think they are appropriately tweaked to get the most out of the orchestral instruments. That being said, an option to switch would have been the smart route.

What bothers me more is the new revamped textures; I still think some of the new texture work have affected the emotive appearances of characters to the point I'm not too invested in buying the remaster.

Top Bottom