• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has this always been here or is it new? Facebook Like/Share under Post Reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Were these other buttons there all along?

qzYUf1j.png

Mik2121

Sure. Why not.

The blue kind of stands out too much. Ideally grey icons would be the best so they blend with both the white and dark themes without standing out.
It feels like I'm reading some cheap buzzfeed website tho.

Having the option isn't a bad thing as long as this doesn't get too bad with links to twitter, pinterest, tumblr and whatnot.

Ultimadrago

Okay, fun story, everything got deployed completely contrary to requested specifications in every conceivable way...while I was asleep.

Bear with me a moment here while things get fixed.

Sharing this post!

And yeah, I like it better near the top.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I'm sure most of you know, but if you actually click Like, whoever runs or have proper access on the Facebook page can see your full name. They might not know who is who on GAF, but it's still there (for the page admins). Just in case someone didn't want that, but already hit Like.

Also if you visit a website then that website has your IP address and pretty much knows who you are on the spot. And then when that website has registration requirements that involve providing personal information, they super ultra extra pretty much know who you are.

Which is why websites have clearly stated privacy policies. Just in case you're posting from a paranoid militia compound in Wyoming and didn't know that.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
Also if you visit a website then that website has your IP address and pretty much knows who you are on the spot. And then when that website has registration requirements that involve providing personal information, they super ultra extra pretty much know who you are.

Which is why websites have clearly stated privacy policies. Just in case you're posting from a paranoid militia compound in Wyoming and didn't know that.

your smooth talking won't work on me, you will have to pry my farmville statistics from my cold, dead hands.

Gleethor

Nice try, EviLizard

Man seeing that Facebook share/like stuff on GAF is weird.

I will stay away from it but i hope it is generating you guys good money.

Facebook is Toxic.

riotous

Banned
Man seeing that Facebook share/like stuff on GAF is weird.

I will stay away from it but i hope it is generating you guys good money.

I don't think it generates any money directly unless EviLore made a specific deal with Facebook.

The idea is that encouraging people to share things on Facebook should drive traffic to the site. Random ass less than technical people browsing Facebook are good people to drive to the site as well since Adblock is less likely to be used and ad networks pay well for views from random visitors.

Do something like this:

hEFO41L.png

The pill shaped toggle on the left means those trackers are blocked on every webpage, but when you click the circular toggle button on the right it whitelists them for neogaf.com (the right side is site-specific settings that override the left side basically). Note how the FB stuff wasn't clicked so those are still blocked, only FB is blocked in this example pic.

This was really helpful, thanks!

Yep, noticed it just a few minutes ago, though mine is in the title bar, not below the post reply button.

Oh, I guess they just moved it.

Jeez you guys spot the slightest change, as its getting added.

I can promise that we are not going overboard with social stuff. We're adding the Like widget and then a Like link in the header next to the twitter one.. thats it! No share/tweet/other social media services/bloat.

We also added some better meta tags as well to make the sharing a little cleaner for users who do end up sharing something.

Personally, I'd prefer a Retweet widget rather than a Facebook one. Seems like it'd be more useful.

Kozak

Banned
14 people have shared this thread.

To the homies asking how to block/remove/bypass this. I'm sure NeoGAF is a big part of your day.

Show some support.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I don't think it generates any money directly unless EviLore made a specific deal with Facebook.

The idea is that encouraging people to share things on Facebook should drive traffic to the site. Random ass less than technical people browsing Facebook are good people to drive to the site as well since Adblock is less likely to be used and ad networks pay well for views from random visitors.

Yes, it's a feature...for the convenience of the enormous subset of people who use this sort of stuff...and not a nefarious scheme, a transaction with Uncle Zucky, or an invasion of privacy. It's just a button. You kinda want a community to continue to get organic traffic so that it doesn't become an insular echo chamber, and NeoGAF doesn't advertise, so this is a minimalist concession to the ubiquity and importance of organic discussion on social media.

riotous

Banned
Yes, it's a feature...for the convenience of the enormous subset of people who use this sort of stuff...

Yeah usually a fairly popular feature; not sure why people care that much if they don't plan to use it. There's a million and one ways to block the buttons from showing up and if they won't use them anyways it won't cost the site anything unlike full blown AdBlock.

For instance, if this really bothers people and they have no plan to use it, add this to your custom filters section in AdBlock options:

Jobbs

Banned
Yes, it's a feature...for the convenience of the enormous subset of people who use this sort of stuff...and not a nefarious scheme, a transaction with Uncle Zucky, or an invasion of privacy. It's just a button. You kinda want a community to continue to get organic traffic so that it doesn't become an insular echo chamber, and NeoGAF doesn't advertise, so this is a minimalist concession to the ubiquity and importance of organic discussion on social media.

I am satisfied with this explanation.

Still maybe they should be togglable as a concession to those who see the buttons and are infuriated.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Jeez you guys spot the slightest change, as its getting added.

I can promise that we are not going overboard with social stuff. We're adding the Like widget and then a Like link in the header next to the twitter one.. thats it! No share/tweet/other social media services/bloat.

We also added some better meta tags as well to make the sharing a little cleaner for users who do end up sharing something.

The idea of this is not something I have anything against. What I am against though is requiring it without the ability to disable.
Facebook loads in cookies and stores a cache even if you aren't logged in if you visit a page with one of these buttons. They use those cookies to track users across the web no and serve ads based on that data. That's not something I'm interested in having done just for visiting GAF.

Crayolan

They certainly stand out, I noticed them almost immediately.

Don't really care though since I don't bother with facebook anyway.

Aurongel

I like this implementation. Being able to like specific posts would just lead to Reddit-style dogpiles and circle jerking.

Took me a good 10 minutes before I had Ghostery setup properly to only block the buttons.

Really can't stand facebook and would rather not have a reminder of it on every page so I suppose this is an okay solution for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom