• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have Smartphones Destroyed a Generation? The Atlantic

entremet

The more time teens spend looking at screens, the more likely they are to report symptoms of depression.

The more I pored over yearly surveys of teen attitudes and behaviors, and the more I talked with young people like Athena, the clearer it became that theirs is a generation shaped by the smartphone and by the concomitant rise of social media. I call them iGen. Born between 1995 and 2012, members of this generation are growing up with smartphones, have an Instagram account before they start high school, and do not remember a time before the internet. The Millennials grew up with the web as well, but it wasn't ever-present in their lives, at hand at all times, day and night. iGen's oldest members were early adolescents when the iPhone was introduced, in 2007, and high-school students when the iPad entered the scene, in 2010. A 2017 survey of more than 5,000 American teens found that three out of four owned an iPhone.

The advent of the smartphone and its cousin the tablet was followed quickly by hand-wringing about the deleterious effects of ”screen time." But the impact of these devices has not been fully appreciated, and goes far beyond the usual concerns about curtailed attention spans. The arrival of the smartphone has radically changed every aspect of teenagers' lives, from the nature of their social interactions to their mental health. These changes have affected young people in every corner of the nation and in every type of household. The trends appear among teens poor and rich; of every ethnic background; in cities, suburbs, and small towns. Where there are cell towers, there are teens living their lives on their smartphone.

To those of us who fondly recall a more analog adolescence, this may seem foreign and troubling. The aim of generational study, however, is not to succumb to nostalgia for the way things used to be; it's to understand how they are now. Some generational changes are positive, some are negative, and many are both. More comfortable in their bedrooms than in a car or at a party, today's teens are physically safer than teens have ever been. They're markedly less likely to get into a car accident and, having less of a taste for alcohol than their predecessors, are less susceptible to drinking's attendant ills.

Psychologically, however, they are more vulnerable than Millennials were: Rates of teen depression and suicide have skyrocketed since 2011. It's not an exaggeration to describe iGen as being on the brink of the worst mental-health crisis in decades. Much of this deterioration can be traced to their phones.

Even when a seismic event—a war, a technological leap, a free concert in the mud—plays an outsize role in shaping a group of young people, no single factor ever defines a generation. Parenting styles continue to change, as do school curricula and culture, and these things matter. But the twin rise of the smartphone and social media has caused an earthquake of a magnitude we've not seen in a very long time, if ever. There is compelling evidence that the devices we've placed in young people's hands are having profound effects on their lives—and making them seriously unhappy.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazin...the-smartphone-destroyed-a-generation/534198/

c42ed8709.jpg

Long article, but fascinating read.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Smartphones aren't the root of the issue.

Pedophile hysteria has confined a generation of kids to the home 24/7. If you can't go outside, why not spend all day on social media living vicariously through the lives of others?

Aiii

So not worth it
Terrible article. Shows decline long before the release of the iPhone, etc.

Tries to link cause and effect by assuming cause beforehand, and then finding proof to support assumption.

Fury451

Banned
I've been addicted to my phone. I was already dealing with life stuff and definitely noted depression when I retreated to my phone. This would be unsurprising from both my personal experience and others

That said these issues are complex and you can't point to any singular scapegoat as the reason for anything

In general people spend way to much time inside. I live in a neighborhood with an amazing park system nearby and I rarely see teens or kids (anyone not above the age of 25 or more) outside during the beautiful days of summer.

jph139

The internet destroyed it.

The internet was a paradigm shift, sure, but I don't think we can understate how huge an impact smartphones have been on modern society. The sum of all human knowledge, information, entertainment, politics, everything - in the palm of our hands. All day, every day, for our entire lives.

I don't think we'll be able to understand how huge our lives have changed because of it. Decades from now, maybe, well start to weave these trends together into some sort of coherent thesis.

Fury451

Banned
I don't think we'll be able to understand how huge our lives have changed because of it. Decades from now, maybe, well start to weave these trends together into some sort of coherent thesis.

Agreed. I won't fault people for trying to figure it out now, but right now it's amounting to grasping at straws until concrete things become clearer

Mesoian

Real talk, all I and my peers ever heard when we were growing up is how our parents didn't want us to do the things that are in those charts. Now 15 years later, they're saying kids not doing those things is bad.

We can never win.

Aiustis

The driving thing doesn't necessarily have much to do with smartphones. Driving teens has been declining for more than 10 years.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah. This seems sort of like shooting the messenger.
Smartphones are but a mere vessel.

Eh, the Internet alone didn't do it on a wide scale. The mobility piece--having the entire Internet at your fingertips anywhere and everywhere, always--was key to really get *everyone* addicted and glued to their screens.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Real talk, all I and my peers ever heard when we were growing up is how our parents didn't want us to do the things that are in those charts. Now 15 years later, they're saying kids not doing those things is bad.

We can never win.

Lol good catch.

Helicopter parents could explain all this shit. Parents demanding their kids attention at home and demanding they work their asses off the rest of the time at school.

kirblar

I wonder if this is why "can't get off Facebook" depression people complain about has been so foreign to me. I signed up in the early '00s on a PC. It's always been a family/friends networking tool to me, nothing more. I don't really look at it on my phone unless I've got a notification.

MindofKB

Mark Manson talks a lot about the psychological deterioration brought on by social media in his book, The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck. In the book, he notes that popular Instagram accounts are manicured versions of a person's life that makes them look like they're perfect and never have any bad days or problems. People post things like "Here I am on a boat! Here I am at an expensive dinner! Here I am in a new BMW!" but they never post a picture of themselves at a funeral or in any other situation that would make it look like things aren't going well in their lives.

When outsiders (especially susceptible teens) see these manicured versions of life, they try to do everything they can to also have perfect lives and it's just not possible. They say things like,"I got a flat tire today, but this guy on IG never gets flat tires. Why isn't my life like that?" These comparisons create self-doubt and can quickly lead to depression.

Before the interconnectedness of social media, we couldn't see all of these people having the time of their lives. They only existed on TV or in movies and they didn't give us a glimpse into their ACTUAL lives unless they were on an episode of Cribs or Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.

It's important to remember we as humans can't help but compare ourselves to others. I'm 31 and while growing up I was comparing myself to people in my grade and in my neighborhood. Teens today, through Instagram, are comparing themselves to everyone in the world who's their age, some of whom are famous for absolutely nothing. That's gotta be incredibly frustrating.

I feel this discussion is much bigger then just the smartphone. The constant non-stop media consumption - which the smartphone plays a big role in - has some serious effects on people. It will be something that parenting and education will have to take into account more.

Also, with some graphs, how does this tie into the money situation. 2007-08 was kind of a big thing financially, so no wonder less parents pay for their kids new car for example.

I mean, every time I open my phone and read Trump's latest tweet, I want to throw myself off a bridge too, so I guess it makes sense. But maybe that's not the phone's fault. Maybe we're living in a reality that really fucking sucks for young people.

Hm...those charts aren't remarkably compelling.
Yeah most of those charts the trend seems to be continuing as you'd expect from the years before smartphones. The sex one practically seems like a straight horizontal line. The only compelling one at all is the loneliness depression chart

We can never win.

Yeah it's like there's a generation of repressed, stunted young adults on the horizon and people are realizing, "oh shit, maybe we shouldn't be stunting our children to deal with our own parental anxieties so much."

Stopdoor

Good thing I was born in 1994 and am magically segregated from this """iGen""" generation.

To be honest I wonder if half of this article is just to try to lay a claim to the next "Millennial" moniker.

Ogodei

Mark Manson talks a lot about the psychological deterioration brought on by social media in his book, The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck. In the book, he notes that popular Instagram accounts are manicured versions of a person's life that makes them look like they're perfect and never have any bad days or problems. People post things like "Here I am on a boat! Here I am at an expensive dinner! Here I am in a new BMW!" but they never post a picture of themselves at a funeral or in any other situation that would make it look like things aren't going well in their lives.

When outsiders (especially susceptible teens) see these manicured versions of life, they try to do everything they can to also have perfect lives and it's just not possible. They say things like,"I got a flat tire today, but this guy on IG never gets flat tires. Why isn't my life like that?" These comparisons create self-doubt and can quickly lead to depression.

Before the interconnectedness of social media, we couldn't see all of these people having the time of their lives. They only existed on TV or in movies and they didn't give us a glimpse into their ACTUAL lives unless they were on an episode of Cribs or Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.

It's important to remember we as humans can't help but compare ourselves to others. I'm 31 and while growing up I was comparing myself to people in my grade and in my neighborhood. Teens today, through Instagram, are comparing themselves to everyone in the world who's their age, some of whom are famous for absolutely nothing. That's gotta be incredibly frustrating.

You'd figure that would balance out with stuff like Epic Fail videos or the numerous GoFundMe's or other tragic stories we get exposed to, but i guess we have (psychologically) never been good at counting our blessings compared to honing jealousy. But you can just as easily be exposed to people who have it a lot worse than you do.

Steejee

I have a WinPhone and no Facebook or Twitter account (or even LinkedIn).

Basically use phone for pretty basic stuff like calls/texts/photos (phone is a Lumia, bought specifically for it's photo quality)/GPS/internet. Only a handful of apps installed, and rarely try to add new ones.

As a result, I get the 5 minute version of family drama when I visit. All the crap that gets posted to social media exists in a different universe I do a quick tour of a few times a year via a tour guide.

It caused an undeniable cultural shift, but "destroyed" is one hell of an alarmist term - awfully close minded as well, as if a generation of people can only exist if it exists the way it did for years prior.

I like how most of those trend lines have very little correlation with the release of the phone, many of them starting well before.

And the economic crash plays into this a huge amount, how many of those not driving teens are because their parents couldn't afford insurance, etc.

The scales on those graphs are all kinds of messed up. It makes it look like seismic shift and crash, but loneliness went up from 26% to 30% :/
This too. And how was the situation before 1990? Because that is looking like a downtrend, and now it is reversing. Were people more or less lonely in the 70s and 80s?

Being a young person is a lot harder today than it was when I was growing up.

When I got bullied, it was at school or outside randomly. Not serious bullying, but what I would call being picked on.

Kids these days can't escape.

You see the way younger kids are behaving these days? My generation was still innocent until we got to high school. 13 year old kids looked and acted like kids.

I see little girls emulating the kardashians and I know society has failed.

I don't blame them for being addicted to their phones. It's just the times and they can't not do those things when everyone around them is.

Non stop bombardment from social media. Obsessing and following people on twitter and instragram.

I am so glad I didn't grow up in a time where handing a kid a phone or a tablet was considered acceptable parenting.

They referenced increasing rates of teen depression/suicide since 2011 but don't provide numbers/references. It would be nice to see those data too.

The "more likely to feel lonely" graph seems pretty significant.

They referenced increasing rates of teen depression/suicide since 2011 but don't provide numbers/references. It would be nice to see those data too.

The "more likely to feel lonely" graph seems pretty significant.
I mean it does, but the scale is also really wonky on that one where the huge "climb" they show wouldn't have appeared significant at all on any other chart they showed

Roo

It reminds me of that time I went to a friend's birthday party at a park and once there I couldn't help but notice how kids from several families around us were playing on their iPads and cellphones instead of running on the grass and or having fun on the swings.

kind of sad how parents would rather give a tablet to their child and "be done with it" instead of, you know, spending some quality time with them.

I like how most of those trend lines have very little correlation with the release of the phone, many of them starting well before.

Yeah, you can see the almost perfect downward curves in some of these, and they just stuck the iphone launch date somewhere in there lol. At least they should have drawn a tangent or something for more dramatic effect

Top Bottom