• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have Smartphones Destroyed a Generation? The Atlantic

Purkake4

Banned
Sorry, but that seems awfully complacent to me. Society has changed radically as a result of the way digital technology has advanced in recent times, and at some point it needs to be considered that change is going to bring new challenges.

Recession is not a phenomenon unique to the last decade, however the ever present influence of a 24-hour news cycle churning away and shaping young people's world-views is. At no point in human history has the youth been so submerged in "information", much of which is of dubious value.

If you want to believe that propaganda never works, please continue to argue that the deluge of information and opinion marinating kids today is irrelevent. However if you do believe that people can have their worldview and reality shaped by externally constructed narratives, you need to question how healthy it is for young minds to be exposed to the chaos generated by a media that primarily exists purely for profit.
Obviously there will be new challenges, but you can't fix anything until you understand what those challenges are.

Similar thoughts/challenges/problems came with the printing press, universal literacy, radio, TV, etc. This is not unique, it's just another stage in technological development.

karnage10

Banned
I only took a glance at the graphics but the downward curves normally start before the iphone. Don't the graphs show that the smartphone had no effect?
I didn't read the article, but with those graphs i don't think it is worth reading the conclusion which will probably be the above.

DJChuy

Smartphones did ruin concerts somewhat. There are always some people who feel the need to record the whole show and ruin the view for others.

I'll admit I'm addicted to my phone at times. It's not just social media, but you can read the news, email, listen to music, watch videos, shop, etc with just a tap. But I put it away when I'm at a gathering. Most youngsters I've seen at bars or restaurants use the phone while hanging out.

Zoe

I only took a glance at the graphics but the downward curves normally start before the iphone. Don't the graphs show that the smartphone had no effect?
I didn't read the article, but with those graphs i don't think it is worth reading the conclusion which will probably be the above.

You would really need to determine when high school kids started having their own smartphones in significant numbers. The loneliness graph looks like there could be a strong correlation.

Zee-Row

Banned
I had to deactivate my Facebook awhile back. I'm just the type of person that is frequently depressed and the sight of people on my friends list that are happier and doing things that I can't do was too much for me to handle.

karnage10

Banned
You would really need to determine when high school kids started having their own smartphones in significant numbers. The loneliness graph looks like there could be a strong correlation.
yeah that would be nice. As someone that really likes tech I'm always quite sad to "never" see good studies on their effect.

koolaroo

I feel some of my depression could be worsened by the internet but it's a mixed bag. Most of my friend group I met a arcade I go to which I never would have found without the internet. I'm assuming I would find people some other way but as of now the internet is why I'm even social in real life.
Most of my depression comes from living at home at 22. I can't seem to find any work that would pay me enough to afford rent despite being in a fairly large metropolitan area with access to a car. I guess the internet does effect me in this area as I feel like I have access to all the information and resources I could ever need and I'm still failing. Facebook envy doesn't really get me much seeing as most of my friends have problems too.

Lamel

Banned
The one I can really believe is the "feeling lonely". FOMO is so much more apparent now with the insane amount of social media presence we have these days.

Here's a far more compelling and alarming trend
rU46zfO.png

Well, when I'm not studying I'm like 90% on my time at home on my PC or Smartphone or game console, not because I want to do that only but because there is like no activity besides that

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Man I love my phone but would that come on my way of going out and chilling with friends? fucking shit fuck hell no bitch

In every graph the trend kicks in a few years after the iPhone released, which I assume the author would assume represents the proliferation of smartphones to younger persons in the 2009+ period.

Smart phones are a portal to the internet (incl social media) that is always with you and works almost anywhere. In my own life I've definitely noticed changes in my habits since I started making use of mobile data. It's not the phone itself, it's the portable internet connectivity that does it. I don't know whether or not this data itself has validity but I do expect that over time we'll get a clearer picture of what the impact is on people's lives from this pretty radical change.

BraXzy

Before the interconnectedness of social media, we couldn't see all of these people having the time of their lives. They only existed on TV or in movies and they didn't give us a glimpse into their ACTUAL lives unless they were on an episode of Cribs or Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.

That's a point I'd never even thought about, at one point your inside look to rich people was a snippet that didn't really seem real. Now we're swamped with rich instagram accounts, real housewives of and the 24/7 celeb coverage. It's a lot harder to avoid seeing grandeur that seems out of reach.

Breakage

I carry a dumb phone when I'm out and about. I notice that, unlike my fellow smartphone-equipped citizens, I can appreciate the trees, bees, birds, etc in my environment. It's good to have time away from the internet.

i definitely think the internet has done more harm to my life than good

and yet it's also a form of escapism from how much i hate my life

deadly cycle

trembli0s

I'd be more inclined to think the trends are related to increased social media usage than simply having a smart phone although the phone as an access point is obviously a huge part of it as well.

There's research out there showing getting pings on your phone gets you a dopamine hit akin to sex and drugs.

mcfrank

Smartphones aren't the root of the issue.

Pedophile hysteria has confined a generation of kids to the home 24/7. If you can't go outside, why not spend all day on social media living vicariously through the lives of others?

A million times this.

Bakercat

Johnny! Do not sit so close to your iPhone. You are gonna hurt your eyes and become addicted.

damn Millennials

I don't understand some of the comments here.

Are arguments here being made that preteens and teenagers centering their social life and free time around smartphones is NOT having a damaging effect?

I wouldn't ask anyone to prove a negative; the onus is not on you to show that smartphones are ok for kids.

But if you're raising a kid, I'd strongly encourage you to think about what perspective of the world he or she is forming when viewing it through the lens of social media and YouTube.

bomma_man

I'm addicted as fuck to my smartphone tbh (mostly GAF).

I'm really glad I watched so many great movies and TV shows and read so many books before I got one, because it's really fucked my ability to sit down and concentrate on something.

Also, being a teen with 24/7 social media presence would be hell.

Nydius

For all of those talking about the 2008 bust, you realize the people on these charts are 16-18 year olds, right?

The author sets the beginning date of her supposed iGen as 1995 and the data is supposedly gathered from 2012 through 2015. Those on the earliest end of her generation line were 6 when 9/11 happened and 13 when the 2008 crash happened. Kids born in 2000 were 8 when the 2008 crash happened. That's definitely old enough to understand, even in the most basic terms, what happened when, all of the sudden, the family couldn't afford shit, maybe lost their house, had to move, or were struggling to feed the household. And the ones closer to her start date also saw family and family friends go off to war and not return, or return markedly different.

There are a whole lot of issues that converged in the mid- to late-2000s that have long term deleterious effects on the development of children/teens of that period. Smartphones probably play a part but the author argues that smartphones are the primary reason for developmental issues. I'm just not seeing her assertion borne out in the data. The article gives VERY short shrift to all of the other issues that happened along side the rise of the iPhone and the iPad.

Lynd7

It's too addicting. Adults find it hard to not check their phones constantly, kids are probably even more at risk of it. Need to lessen the need to constantly check FB and messages etc.

The introduction date of smartphones doesn't actually mean anything, so the whole concept is flawed. Saturation is what matters, where it increased over time and only the past few years has it been overwhelming majorities. To that end, only the samples with some kind of exponential drop off are noteworthy-- Where overall socializing and social isolation are consistent with increased device usage. Ask again in 5 years on dating. The rest? Meh. I'm shocked 60% of kids still get 7+ hours of sleep! When do you fit that in?!

timshundo

To echo others, I'm gonna guess it's specific apps doing this to people. I recently went on a trip out of the country with a friend who was obsessed with getting good photos of herself (just herself, not me) in various places around where we were staying in order to get good shots to update her friends with on instagram. At times it felt like her motivations for visiting certain places, if not the entire trip, were motivated on getting those good shots for her insta profile & story. I asked her to stop asking me to be her personal tripod because I was there to relax and she understood but then quickly continued to ask me to take photos of her with her phone again.

She admitted she just wanted to show up "those girls" on instagram "who travel all the time and look so good doing it." For the sake of continuing the trip without having to have an explosive argument, I just let her have her reasons and moved on. It was clear that I've never had that kind of pressure to perform placed on me in a social setting and there was nothing I could say to immediately snap her out of it to try to make her be more "present" on the trip. :/

...but then again I guess Grindr has a similar affect on me. Trying to seem like one of the "attractive" gays, as subjective as that sounds...

...we're all fucked.

Estoc

Smartphones, avocado toasts addiction, getting blamed for everything wrong in this world, buying house for dogs instead of the traditional family...

Damn, millennials have it tough!

I think millennials having higher rate of depression has a lot more factors than phones.

Also, as an introvert, take my phone away and I'm still going to be staring out of the window instead of talking to you. #NotEvenAMillenial

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Smartphones, avocado toasts addiction, getting blamed for everything wrong in this world, buying house for dogs instead of the traditional family...

Damn, millennials have it tough!

I think millennials having higher rate of depression has a lot more factors than phones.

Also, as an introvert, take my phone away and I'm still going to be staring out of the window instead of talking to you. #NotEvenAMillenial
Hate to tell you this bro, but this thread is about the generation after millennials...

The youngest millennials are entering college in a year or two.

Estoc

Hate to tell you this bro, but this thread is about the generation after millennials...

The youngest millennials are entering college in a year or two.

Oh yeah, my bad... Teach me well for scanning the article at work and rushing to post...

I don't understand the dismissive responses. I would say yes, to an extent. Smartphones are isolating by design. Nothing wrong with that in small amounts, but since they are a constant part of our lives now, they do lessen face to face talks significantly. I'd assume this is obvious and common knowledge, but apparently not? Especially with kids who've never "learned to socialize normally," aka socialize without using smartphones/internet aka the way we humans did it for tens of thousands of years until the last decade or so. Which leads to isolation + depression + short attention span etc etc.

I know a teacher and he says the same. Kids even in recess don't communicate face to face where he teaches.. not even when they are next to each other. They just whip out smart phones. Then there is the lessened physical activity, no playing outside, worse air, no rest for the mind, all sorts of stuff that isn't even mentioned!

So how come so many of you handwave this away? Also, no this isn't the same as TV or Laptops. You saw people whip out TV's or laptops constantly before, everywhere? Obviously not, (not to nearly the same extent before some nitpicker responds) that is the entire point of a smart phone, the ease of carrying a computer anywhere you want.

big_z

I don't think its the smartphones at fault but social media in general. Phones are simply a quick access portal to all the social links which are typically heavily curated to paint a specific images and to make things worse marketed. Social media is just fake images and when you compare yourself to what's out there it can be easy to feel a bit shit.

Anyone that has gone on vacation for a couple weeks and fully disconnected can probably relate but at first there's a lot of anxiety of being left out/behind and then it is incredibly freeing and you feel really good. The fact that happens is, in my opinion, a warning sign and theres something to worry about.

HariKari

So glad I graduated right when social media was just starting to be a thing (Myspace). I cannot imagine growing up in that bubble. I've avoided all forms as much as possible. I probably read the news and GAF the most on my phone, and use it for very little else outside of work and texting. Feeling the need to use it 24/7 must be shitty.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
was in the pub watching the football not long back and a young woman came in and sat down infront of the screen. she took her coat and scarf off just long enough to get a picture of herself watching the football, then put it all back on got up and walked out.

besada

Banned
Nah, millennials are more like 1990-2005. Coincidentally when water fluoridation amounts increased again.

Nope. The vast majority of researchers and marketers using the term mean it to include children born from the early 80's to 2000. By the time you were born, people were already talking about your generation as millennials.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I definitely think there will be some things we figure out about social media as the generation that grew up with it gets older that will mean the millennial generation will be heavily disadvantaged going forward.

(e.g. privacy, imagine the first presidential candidate who's had a Twitter account since their teens)

Top Bottom