• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Have we forgotten about Avatar?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

cacildo

‘Avatar,’ in contrast, wasn’t primarily a product

Oh yeah not a product at all

its totally different from this other sell out movie blockbusters

Verger

Banned
I still don't get what Cameron is gonna do with the sequels without it becoming boring.

The universe was really set up for one movie, MAYBE two in an Empire Strikes Back type deal with the humans,

But SIX?

Come on, son.
Where did the number 6 come from? I've only heard of 3 sequels total.

As far as where they can go. Well, there's tons to explore on Pandora itself, I know Cameron was hip to going underwater at some point. He also even toyed with the idea of visiting the other moons of Polythemus, though that might have been abandoned.

If he wants to go really crazy there's all sorts of possibilities with the Avatar and "Dark Dreamer" programs as well as more advanced technology (the tech used by the RDA was limited both by treaties and the time it takes to get new stuff to the planet), plus Quantum Entanglement stuff if he so chose. I imagine the next villain/villainess will probably be an Avatar of something.

Cuburt

Oh yeah not a product at all

This definitely helps prove how forgettable it is. I didn't even know a multiplatform game existed and those toys all looks boring.

Generic military figures.

Generic warrior aliens.

Generic aliens wearing human clothes + Sigourney Weaver

sp3ctr3

As others have said it was a very pretty movie to look at, but the story was standard Disney fairytale bullshit that's been done a million times before. The only twist was that he fought Duke Nukem in the end.

I guess Cameron hype made the numbers but forgettable movies will always be forgotten by the general public.

cacildo

This definitely helps prove how forgettable it is. I didn't even know a multiplatform game existed and those toys all looks boring.

Generic military figures.

Generic warrior aliens.

Generic aliens wearing human clothes + Sigourney Weaver

Well, you didnt miss anything. At least the Wii version of the game was a complete disaster

(i think the other versions are all the same, just better graphics)

Anyway, the movie sucks. Its even sad that it had the biggest box office ever, because nothing good ever came from this movie. It was forgettable, a cheap shot of a plot, and the only thing that lasted was this stupid 3d trend that refuses to die.

Really, 3d movies sucks. Darker image and headaches (which is really an impressive achievement, because these two usually dont walk together)

Dead

well not really...yet
The revionist history surrounding Avatar's success and release at this point is funnier than Titanics. Good stuff.

Blue Lou

It was a visual feast. It was forgettable though.

The first time I saw it, I felt it should have ended shortly after
the humans burnt down their home
. There was no cliffhanger that I can remember. I think any sequel will suffer because of that.

It's a commercial product. Commercial products have extremely short lifespans. In the grand scheme of things it was a flash in the pan and had no artistic impact on storytelling or society, politics or culture. And 5 years is an eternity in pop culture.

Tbf you will see the exact same thing happen with almost all the Marvel/DC movies like Avengers, Thor, GotG etc. Frozen, too. They aren't really powerful enough to leave impacts for years or decades at a time.

Making tons of cash at the box office has very little to do w/ a film "leaving its mark", tbh.

District 9 deserved to be the 2009 alien empathy/giant robot film to remember. And so it was.

Yep. And those who liked District 9 should watch The Signal. It's not quite as good, but it feels like a spiritual continuity to District 9 in so many ways it's not even funny.

And I mean that as a very good thing.

Maxim726X

It was incredibly fucking forgettable. After all of the hype the movie got, I was shocked to see just how mediocre the damn thing is.

What did people love about it so much? Was it the world? I can't figure it out. It certainly wasn't Sam Worthington.

Tbf you will see the exact same thing happen with almost all the Marvel/DC movies like Avengers, Thor, GotG etc. Frozen, too. They aren't really powerful enough to leave impacts for years or decades at a time.

Making tons of cash at the box office has very little to do w/ a film "leaving its mark", tbh.

Tbf Spider-Man, Batman, and xmen led to those movies so the impact had already been felt.

gcubed

i didn't go to the theaters to watch it so didn't get to experience the great 3D... that being said, I can't sit through it on a pay channel on TV. I make it about 45 minutes in and start channel surfing

Tbf Spider-Man, Batman, and xmen led to those movies so the impact had already been felt.
Fair enough; you don't even see people really talk about the original X-men trilogy anymore, or the McGuire Spiderman fiilms. Begins has just kinda gone to the background (undeservedly) but Dark Knight is still very much on people's minds, and for good reason.

I think Nolan's Batman flicks will weather time better than many other superhero films, fwiw.

Now-a-days everybody wanna talk like they got somethin' to say
But nothin' comes out when they move their lips
Just a bunch'a gibberish
And motherfuckers act like they forgot about Jake

Maximus.

It feels like it came out before 2009. I just bought the bluray, but yes it's a distant memory and it feels weird they are taking so long to release the sequels. Really interested to see how that plays out for the franchise.

bengraven

people remember avatar..just normal people..fandom and geeks? maybe not their cup of tea..but people? man even my granma knows what avatar is

I would argue, at least in my experience, that it's the opposite.

Geeks are the only ones remembering it. Normal people never ever talk about it.

Avatar's success is crazy to me. Even compared to Cameron's other success it feels hollow. Titanic was a big fucking deal. It was an event. People quoted it for years afterwards. There were parodies. People talked about it. It seemed like a big fucking thing.

Avatar was just another movie. I've never known someone excited about it. It didn't feel like a big thing when it came out. I mean I guess I knew people who saw it, but no one really talked about it afterwards. It wasn't really recommended by anyone. There was no merchandise, no parodies, no quoting of it. Nothing. I honestly have no idea how it got so successful. A lot of those big movies are at least mentioned around me once in a while. The only times I've heard Avatar mentioned since release is pretty much here... with people asking why it's been forgotten... or wondering how the hell they're doing so many sequels.

i have seen parodies everywhere,even ben stiller on the oscars painted like a navii,people recognize the navii blue creatures

u seen people talking about gone with the wind? godfather? event movies are like that,people expect avatar to have the presence of a franchise like the marvel movies,and avatar isnt that its a self contained history in 2016 we will see if avatar is still recognizble,some of you will be surprised

I would argue, at least in my experience, that it's the opposite.

Geeks are the only ones remembering it. Normal people never ever talk about it.

you can argue whatever you want..in 2016 crow will be a endagered species

Violet_0

Banned
It was incredibly fucking forgettable. After all of the hype the movie got, I was shocked to see just how mediocre the damn thing is.

What did people love about it so much? Was it the world? I can't figure it out. It certainly wasn't Sam Worthington.

childish fantasy about living in a perfect world (Pandora) in a near perfect society in complete harmony with nature that even comes with it's very own non-abstract version of an afterlife. And also sexy blue cat people

bengraven

One game and shitty figures?

Another big movie had those: King Kong.

The article made a good point, too. You can get Avatar stuff dirt cheap on eBay and Amazon because it's just not in demand.

cacildo

One game and shitty figures?

Another big movie had those: King Kong.

The article made a good point, too. You can get Avatar stuff dirt cheap on eBay and Amazon because it's just not in demand.

Well, there is also the fact that 3 sequels are planned

What else can a movie make in terms of merchandise?

It runned its course like every other blockbuster. While it was extremely sucessful in box office... it just wasnt sucessful in anything else

I still think the last 30 minutes are fun.

It had the most advanced CG ever combined with the fact that it was the first live-action movie with well executed 3D that wasn't a nature documentary. It was a "must see" blockbuster at the time because of those reasons.

Empty

i realize that it's going to have sequels and more franchising in the future, but it's nice that avatar at this point just a forgettable bit of flashy fun spectacle. what's there is just what you get when you see it, then you move on. i can't stand these horrible superhero film universes that are everywhere, on tv now too. it's the same level of forgettable spectacle, but then they refuse to let you forget so it just sours. avengers and avatar are about as good as eachother but i feel way more kindly towards avatar these days as a result.

BashNasty

Avatar was, and still is, a pretty great movie. Cameron built an interesting world, and damn if he doesn't know how to direct an action sequence.

I look forward to the sequels.

u seen people talking about gone with the wind? godfather?

People talk about those everyday, especially Godfather. And others like Blade Runner, Alien, Pulp Fiction, 28 Days Later etc. If not just folks at the grocery store or barber shop, then critics and film enthusiasts definitely do. That's because those are movies with a timeless quality and a reach beyond just being a spectacle and product.

Avatar is nothing like those movies.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Avatar was enjoyable and was a huge visual spectacle, but jesus is it forgettable. The characters were forgettable, the dialogue was forgettable, even the world...while "imaginative" and done with extremely impressive CG...was very uninspired in my opinion and reminded me of a nice looking but boring 3DMark environment or something. Oh and the Navi design or whatever they're called looked fucking ridiculous. I'll see the sequels, but unless I'm dragged to the theaters it'll be on blu-ray or netflix.

wachie

Millions upon millions of people paid to see ‘Avatar,’ and millions upon millions of people have apparently forgotten about it completely
Because it was a shitfest wrapped nicely. As soon as the the "shine" wore off, people forgot it existed.

Fox318

Best character in the movie was killed off.

BlgVnBU.jpg

Plus the main character is a dick that betrays his own people. Humans needed that mineral to survive on earth as supplies were so strained.

DrZeus

Ok movie. Liked it better when I saw it first as dancing with wolves and pocahontas. It was beautiful though. The only 3d money where I at least got my money worth visually. I do still resent for taking the avatar name and along with the terrible m might movie killing the avatar the last Airbender's credibility/ownership of the name avatar.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I watched it in the theatre in 3D, and walked out saying 'well that was a dumb but fun way to waste a couple of hours' and would have forgotten about it completely if not for all the hilarious news stories that appeared the year following, you know, the stories about people that were totally obsessed with Pandora.

Where are these Pandorans now? Dressing like Dwarves?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Best character in the movie was killed off.

BlgVnBU.jpg

Plus the main character is a dick that betrays his own people. Humans needed that mineral to survive on earth as supplies were so strained.

Needed it to survive? Where did you get that idea?

Ok movie. Liked it better when I saw it first as dancing with wolves and pocahontas. It was beautiful though. The only 3d money where I at least got my money worth visually. I do still resent for taking the avatar name and along with the terrible m might movie killing the avatar the last Airbender's credibility/ownership of the name avatar.

Pocahontas? Really? Pocahontas was awful.
And there's basically no room left for original stories. Name a movie and there are fifty that it aped, at minimum. The tale is in the telling, always has been and always will be, and Cameron is a god-tier storyteller.

Verger

Banned
Needed it to survive? Where did you get that idea?
It's in various wikis and literature, though I'm not sure about the "key to survival"

It's supposedly primarily used for the Global Mag-Lev train network on Earth and is the key in the interstellar propulsion tech. It maybe is also needed for the energy needs of Earth as well.

Slavik81

Avatar hasn't been forgotten, no matter how hard certain people or groups like to pretend. It just hasn't been turned into a brand, unlike virtually all other recently successful movies.
I have to agree. What are we expecting people to be talking about 5 years on when there haven't been any spin-offs?

People will talk about it again when there's new content to talk about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom