• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever bought a game because a hot girl/guy was in it

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
If it strikes a chord with our individual tastes, of course it adds to the appeal of the game. Few people are going to say 'yeah, I bought it for the hot chicks', because that isn't the only consideration when buying a game, but based on the honest replies in the thread, it seems pretty obvious that it helps sell games.

Case closed?

robotrock

Banned
I'm a habitual offender...

Bravely Default on 3DS - bought because of that damned sexy fairy...

25d98b5562a0e02637f60672fc0a01d0.png

uhhhh, what the fuck?

Raonak

Banned
Summer Lesson is probably the only game i've bought purely because of the character.
It was pretty damn underwelming.

DOA5 VR looks interesting.

Nope. Not a whole lot of video game characters designed to appeal to people that are into dudes. The last time I had a crush on a video game character, it was probably a sprite.

I've bought games because they had dress-up/cute costumes, though.

This was how I got the first Shadow Hearts.
I didnt know about Sophitia when i picked up SC 2 but i got the sequels for that though except 5 fuck that.

Mihos

Gold Member
Yes, of course. And my wife only watches Thor and the new Ghostbusters because Chris Helmsworth is in it.

Nier is just the most recent. I still get pissed if the game sucks, though.

Razzorn34

The gems of this thread are definitely the people who have to go that extra mile to make sure no one even questions their comment on this. Gotta love these guys.

I.E. "Hell no! LOL! I'm a grown ass man that gets real sex from my real girlfriend daily. Only teenagers would buy something like that. I could never be attracted to pixels on a video screen!"

20cent

Banned
Fatal Fury 2 for Mai... I was a teenager and we didn't have internet... And it was a good game anyway...

DylanEno

Surprisingly, no, but I've spent money on fire emblem heroes bc I want to collect all the hot guys and girls. I don't even like the game that much tbh

Strictly because? No. Does it help close the sale? Of course. 2B in Nier Automata being the latest and very common example.

[not referencing games for which this is a primary starting point, like Senran Kagura or DOA]

GLAMr

Never. Gameplay & story matter most to me. I still would have bought and enjoyed Horizon if Aloy were 40lb heavier and riddled with acne.

I guess when I tried out DOAX3 (lesson learned, not worth it)

But generally it's never a major consideration, otherwise I would have already bought Nier Automata lol.

It's not a main motivation but it helps a lot.

No that's ridiculous. How can people find fictional cartoon characters attractive ?

How do people get aroused when reading a fictional story including a romance or otherwise. Ideas are very powerful. It's a large part of what makes humans different from other animals. I also think anyone who acts like they've never been aroused by a piece of non live action fiction whether man or woman is almost certainly lying.

Humans have physiological reactions to real people obviously, but sexual stimuli without fail are usually found in people's fantasy, idealization or imagination as well. I don't see why anyone would find this that odd.

spiritfox

I can't say as the sole reason, but yes it does have a large influence on it. It helps if I'm looking at the characters for long periods of time.

vato_loco

Yup. The Dead or Alive series, mostly. Even the spinoff, yes.

Watching Nier: Automata's GIFs didn't sell me on the game, but they sure as hell didn't hurt.

Now it doesn't mean I'll buy a crap game just because it has hot girls. The game has to be good or at least enjoyable. And yes, I did enjoy Xtreme 3, thank you very much.

Atomski

Honestly don't think so but if you said because a character looked cool or fun to play as I am sure my answer would be yes many..

Jintor

Honestly, it helps.

Nier would have been a buy in any case due to its pedigree but seeing 2b all over the net was... Convincing in its own way

Jotakori

Sorta?
I can't think of a game where I specifically went 'holy moly this character is hot, I must buy this' - however art style and character design fitting into what I find pleasing to look at is honestly extremely important to me. If I think the characters/art look cute I will likely think about picking it up even if I know nothing of the game. On the other hand, I will straight-up pass on games that have ugly or boring (imo) looking character designs.

Aske

Never. Gameplay & story matter most to me. I still would have bought and enjoyed Horizon if Aloy were 40lb heavier and riddled with acne.

This made me realise I totally wouldn't. That would have stripped away any enjoyment I could have had with the game. And thinking about it, there are tons of examples of games where an unappealing protagonist was enough to switch me right off. This applies to people of all genders, and non-human creatures too. A big part of my enjoyment of escapist media is being surrounded by beauty. I didn't expect Aloy to be so cool in terms of personality and VA, but her quips add so much to the game.

I might be the only person who bought Onechanbara Z2 Chaos for the gameplay and the violence. I had no issues with the main characters, although the one younger sister feels kind of creepy, and I enjoy their banter, but I didn't buy the game because they were pretty.

On the other hand, Lara Croft is a major reason I enjoy the new Tomb Raider games.

1upsuper

Nothing immediately comes to mind. I definitely don't think it's weird that a lot of people have though. Different people prioritize different things.

Edit: looking through the thread, I'm kinda surprised at the number of posts questioning how people could find non-real characters attractive. Does it really seem out there, or is it just a knee-jerk reaction to something that just doesn't appeal to them? People like different stuff. It's seriously not hard to understand.

L Thammy

You know when you think it about it, most people who claim to be attracted to some actor or actress, what they're actually feeling the attraction to are a series of flat images being displayed at a high speed. Lights coming out of a rectangle.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I wanna say no but like I am pretty sure I was mostly thinking with my dick when I bought Valkyria chronicles.

Something about that artstyle man.

Thankfully the game kicked ass and the edelwiess ended up being the real best girl.

moonbeam

Nope. Not even once. In fact I don't like it when it seems like the game feels like it has to try to rope me in with ass and titties.

Definitely a turn off for me as well. "We're not really that good at making games that are inherently fun to play so we added lots of T & A."

I pretty sure Nowi is the only reason I bought Fire Emblem: Awakening.

I don't think I even knew what Fire Emblem was at the time.
I also bought Dead Or Alive 5 Ultimate for Maria Rose.

Top Bottom