• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever completed a game at an arcade cabinet?

DrKelpo

Banned
1FXJQsc.png

this one.
we were at a bowling alley to celebrate a friends birthday. some older friend of his already had a job at the time, so he had a lot more money than little school-me. we entered the cabinet, he put a ton of 1 or 2€ coins on the tray and told me to take what i need.
we played through the whole thing, i dont know how much he payed for it^^

Double Dragon two quarters.
My friend and I could complete it on one credit - for each player.

It was awesome fighting it out for the girl at the end.

Others I can remember, bound to be more -

Space Harrier
Super Mario Bros.
Xain'd Sleena.
Super Hang On
Powerdrift.

Man, I loved Powerdrift. I could finish first place in all races and turn into the After Burner jet for the last level.

[Fugo]

1cc several fightibg games. Latest was 3rd Strike in my Japan trip last January at Mikado arcade in Takadanobaba (Tokyo), just waiting for opponents to join-in I ended up beating Gill lol. Even got the top score on that machine :D

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I won't mention the ones I beat using continues or it would be a massive list.

A few I've beaten on one credit.

Double Dragon (this shouldn't count cos of the elbow exploit)
Shinobi
Ninja Gaiden
Virtua Cop
Rygar
Street Fighter II and Super Turbo
World Heroes 1&2
Ghost Squad
Midnight Resistance
Contra (or Gryzor where I lived)

Nyoro SF

So many. However in terms of least quarters spent, a friend of mine and I got extremely close to 1cc Time Crisis 2.

I remember burning through $4 to beat the Sailor Moon brawler game. lol

petran79

Banned
In the early 90s in co-op:

Burning Fight
Cadillacs and Dinosaurs
Warriors of Fate

Alone:

Virtua Tennis 1-3
Mazan: Flash of the Blade
The Ocean Hunter

Last year at a bowling center there was a MAME cab with many games, but only 4 buttons, 1 of which was mapped to START! Managed to finish Vampire Savior that way with Bulleta in 3 credits.

dave_d

Let me think, I've 1CC'd the following

Double Dragon
Dragon's Lair
Golden Axe
Ninja Gaiden (only once did I manage not to get hit by that horde on the bridge. You know the one.)
Street Fighter 2
WWF Superstars

Of course I like to brag how I managed to play MatMania for 2 hours on one credit. (But it has no end.)

lebowski4ever

Neo Member
oh yes. first was ridge racer, but with the gear stick / stick shift. was solid after racing with auto for so long, but mastered it after 6 or 7 months of playing every other day at some point. god, i loved that game in the arcades.

Other was double dragon. 10p a go, in my local chippy along with turtles in time. needless to say, the chippy owner got to know me and my mates really well. 10p to batter people and knee them in the head? co-op? ohhh yeeeahhh...

Paracelsus

Street Fighter II CE (cheap ass Bison Saiko Chruščëv run), Virtua Striker 2-3-4 (latter at the first game ever), HoTD 1-2-3, Virtua Tennis, Beach Spikers, Outrun 2, Tekken Tag Tournament, I believe Saturday Night Slam Masters.

Whoa I'm surprised so many! So many awesome nostalgic stories to go with it too! Wish I could quote them all!

I've personally never managed to complete one. I am a boss at the claw games for fluffy toys though :p

OP must be young. I finished a ton of games in arcades back in the day (late 80s/early 90s).

OP is nearly 25.

Feelsbadman.png

retroman

Golden Axe. Many times. With just one coin.

I owned the Master System and Mega Drive versions and completed those countless times before I even played it in the arcade.

Deception

I beat the original Donkey Kong back when I was like 10 at this hotel me and my family were staying at back in the early 2000s.

Shadders

In actual arcade conditions:

HotD 3
Sega Rally 95
I won the International Cup in one of the Virtua Striker games.
Star Wars Trilogy Arcade
Simpsons (four player co-op)

I own a JAMMA cabinet with a ton of games, but obviously that's on freeplay and I have all the time I need.

My uncle and I completed Alien vs. Predator together on a single credit. I think there are more but that's the only one I have a clear memory of.

PSqueak

Banned
Metal Slug 2 in coop. ~8 credits between the both of us :p

Metal Slug 2/X is one of the most forgiving, i never was able to beat it all with one credit, but beating the first 4 levels in one credit wasn't that hard, stuff got plenty difficult on the 5th level. 8 credits between two players is really impressive i must say.

Metal Slug 3 required you to do things very specifically if you wanted to make one credit last, like taking the hard route on level 2 to stock pile bombs from the yetis, carefully save a med pack on the boss area while willingly letting an anemy zombify you and then barfing death on the aliens and getting the medpack quickly before they hit you.

Writing that sentence made me realize how much i love Metal Slug.

Piers

This evening, in fact -- at The Heart of Gaming in London.
Helped a stranger beat Final Fight.
Twist: it was free play. :(

Dougald

I've beaten metal slug x many times, but it doesn't really count as I own the cab and just take the coins out of the mech and put them back in when I run out.

I completed the Jurassic Park light gun game on two seperate occasions with a friend.

The nostalgia from that game is too real.

shaowebb

Yes. The original Double Dragon. Hell we did it on the daily in high school. Fun times. The amount of times folks blew it on the disappearing platforms in the last level though...lol

Cth

Bubble Bobble.

I could beat it with two quarters, ended up getting as far as 165 levels before I had to go home.

It was great because I lived 4 blocks from the arcade and if I wanted to waste a few hours, I'd find 50 cents and play for hours.

The thing about Bubble Bobble is that they had that secret level with the code you had to decipher.

Bubble_Bobble_roomtext.gif

Bubble_Bobble_secret_room20.gif

Bubble_Bobble_secret_room30.gif

Bubble_Bobble_secret_room40.gif

Lots of fun secrets hidden in the game:
http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Bubble_Bobble/Secret_rooms

http://tjasink.com/games/bb/bb-stuff.txt

Arcadehero

Neo Member
I've 1cc'ed on real hardware/cabinet:

-Star Wars Trilogy Arcade
-Crisis Zone (used to be able to do it in about 12-13 minutes without taking a hit)
-Dariusburst Another Chronicle
-The Act: An Interactive Comedy
-Raiden

Completed w/ continues (in some instances the game doesn't let you 1cc, most new games do this by design)

-Time Crisis 5 (initial release software; they are releasing 3 more stages later this year)
-Jurassic Park Arcade (the new one)
-Terminator Salvation
-Aliens Extermination & Armageddon
-Batman
-Deadstorm Pirates
-Let's Go Jungle
-House of the Dead 2 and 4
-Transformers: Human Alliance
-Allied Tank Attack
-Friction
-CarnEvil
-Gauntlet Legends & Dark Legacy
-Blazing Star
-TMNT
-Oriental Legend 2

sphinx

the piano man
Bubble Bobble.

in my group of friends (15 gamers that would go several times a week to the arcade) we all were of the opinion that no game was as hardcore as Bubble Bobble, it took a ridiculous amount of patience and practice to made it to the final battle, few tried it and those who would would sometimes feel like crying after making it to floor 70 or 08 and see their playthrough fall apart because they made a mistake, died once and the gums are gone.

hats off for you.

Muchacho

If only single credit counts

Punisher
King of Dragons
Golden Axe
Street Fighter II
Sunset Riders
Outzone
Cadilacs & Dinosaurs
Metal Slug
Mortal Kombat