• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever genuinely wanted a game to fail?

Owwari

Banned
Not wishing for complete and utter failure, but I wouldn't mind if people cool it on the whole CoD thing. It's rubbing off on more games than I'd like, and some companies are going to absolute shit trying to replicate its success.

How about you just let your kid decide what their own tastes are. This is about as bad as people who want to force their kids to play only NES games so they develop an 'appreciation' for the history of video games.

About as bad? Give me a break.
I will not force anything, after all, I'm the one spending the money on videogame consoles. Not buying a Nintendo system is not about forcing things onto someone, it's preference.

KAL2006

Banned
Monster Hunter for 3DS. I want the series on Vita so Vita gets a big push in Japan meaning more games support from Japan devepers.not only that but Monster Hunter would look better and control better on Vita.

DmC Devil May Cry.

Mainly because it tried to turn the series into something that it wasn't. It was a decent game in the end, but Ninja Theory's Dante is a horrible character.

I'll admit to feeling schadenfreude over this one. Team Ninja's behavior towards the fans was appalling.

Edit: Ninja Theory, duh.

thebeeks

Banned
The Old Republic, Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3, Sim City (newest one).

I swear I don't have a thing for hating EA games, they all just happened to go in a direction I couldn't stand.

nkarafo

I've never wanted anything to fail prior to release but after playing and completing Metroid: Other M 100% I was glad that it was critically panned everywhere, by players and journalists.

the game is a 7 out of 10, by itself, without comparing it to anything else but being the sucessor to the prime games, (not even mentioning super metroid), then it transforms into a 2/10 game, it so fucking abysmal, nintendo needed to know it was a mistake.

the game single-handedly transformed a once stellar frachise into a bad looking, clumsy, mediocre experience.

the game is o.k, it's serviceable, and has fun parts but as part of the metroid canon, it's a fucking piece of shit, it should have never been greenlighted, and I am not thinking about the narrative here, just thinking about the game that is contained within.

I was happy it failed.
Cheers on that.

TrueBlue

I know I'll sound like a jerk but I always hope for Nintendo 1st party titles to fail (which is unrealistic as it gets).

I'm steadily getting into that age when I'll have my first kid and I definitely NOT want him to grow up with the goddamn same games I grew up with. I can hold off buying Nintendo consoles for him/her but whatever, you get my point.
I just want gaming to go forward. My father grew up with some classic movies and music. Those movies and music types aren't hot stuff anymore. There may be some remakes or reboots here and there but they are not as blatantly obvious as releasing almost the same 2D platformer for over 20 years.

Let your child decide what games to play.

Tuck

Any Pay to win game, as thats not what gaming should be about.

Also banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts cause I saw it as Rare spitting on their fanbase.

Fuck so many people having the same opinion as me on this thread so I guess I will refine my list.

Any CoD game post CoD 4.
F2P pay to win games
DmC (of course)
Super Mario Galaxy
Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts (Fuck you MS)
Any Minecraft clone
Gears of War Judgement
Castlevania Lords of Shadow
Zelda Skyward Sword (The only Zelda game I ever hated)
Mass Effect 3 (Way too linear in MY OPINION)
Any game sequel/reboot that abandons it's core audience and completely revamps it's core gameplay. Looking at you Duke Nukem Forever.

I've wanted games to fail, yes. Felt they were bad routes for series, genres, and careers to take. Thing is, in this generation, one bomb usually means at least dozens of pink slips and closed dev houses, so it's something dangerous to wish for.

Fuck so many people having the same opinion as me on this thread so I guess I will refine my list.

Any CoD game post CoD 4.
F2P pay to win games
DmC (of course)
Super Mario Galaxy
Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts (Fuck you MS)
Any Minecraft clone
Gears of War Judgement
Castlevania Lords of Shadow
Zelda Skyward Sword (The only Zelda game I ever hated)
Mass Effect 3 (Way too linear in MY OPINION)
Any game sequel/reboot that abandons it's core audience and completely revamps it's core gameplay. Looking at you Duke Nukem Forever.

I like you.

I'm afraid of pubs of big budget fighters next gen will be taking an extreme monetary route by releasing less content, avoiding the retail market and charging more in the long run. Killer Instinct is a great example of that and I hope that model for them bombs bad so ms is eventually forced to release the game retail.

Keep the 30 man roster for $60 retail please.

Platy

C'mon !

No game should be that hated !

I mean even the lowest of the lowest can have something GOOD right ?

I would be happy if games like Ryse would not make millions and show the industry that saying "fuck you" to gameplay is a good thing but to FAIL ?

Nooo... there are good people working there and they need their jobs.

I wished every possible level of failure and humiliation on the dirtbags who made that Android Pushmo ripoff.

blockshift-658733-2-s-307x512.jpg

burn in hell

OMFG THIS !
THOSE GAME COPIERS SHOULD DIEEEE !

RIP OFF GAMES !

dtHbsPc.jpg

Zelda Jumper, Mole Kart, Copy, Korean Team Fortress, Chinese Mario Galaxy...Copy and Paste unauthorized remakes and stuffs like that.
Please die in a fire.

I am not talking Gameloft's "creating a polished game in the style of games that are not on mobile" ... i am talking artwork ripping and crap rippofs of level design.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Every year CoD and Madden comes out I secretly wish to take the people who bash all other genres and consider those to be "real" or "man's games" out back and "Finish them" *Borat voice*

JWong

Banned
I want Microsoft and Nintendo to fall and the world to become a one console future under the leadership of Mark Cerny.

Apeopleman

DmC Devil May Cry.

Mainly because it tried to turn the series into something that it wasn't. It was a decent game in the end, but Ninja Theory's Dante is a horrible character.

DmC. Geniunely enjoyed seeing it fail.

DmC reboot.

Coming from a DMC fan, I was so happy to see it bomb

DmC like a mother fucker.

You are all social degenerates.

this is a DmC thread

People fear change.

Oh, and I guess over an 85 on metacritic, and rumors of a second installment = failure.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
You are all social degenerates.

People fear change.

Oh, and I guess over an 85 on metacritic, and rumors of a second installment = failure.

Classy personal insults.

People fear bad change. There are no rumors of a second installment. That's wishful thinking on your part.

I know, right?

I'd rather these games succeed just so I can listen to the butthurt from angry nerds who take these things a little too personally.

Don't like a game? Don't play it, but wishing it to fail is just childish.

Gaming's a serious hobby for people. I don't know why that's difficult for some to grasp. "Just games lol" is the poorest thoughtout and easiest copout answer ever given on these forums.

Tekku

Man, some of the games people are listing here doesn't make any sense to me. Why would you want a new IP to fail for instance? Or a game series that has potential but doesn't quite deliver; why would you want the next sequel to be another failure?

For me, it's World of Warcraft. I did play the game and I genuinely enjoyed it for the time I played, but because of World of Warcraft, there probably will never be a Warcraft 4. Warcraft 3 is one of my all time favorite games. I loved it's gameplay, but most of all I loved it's story. I felt that WoW totally muddled up the Warcraft lore. I think there's only two ways the lore can be salvaged for a new Warcraft RTS, and it's either making WoW it's own separate entity lore-wise and starting from where Frozen Throne left off, or rebooting it; but with all the races that Blizzard has fleshed out because of WoW, a total reboot to the lore is highly unlikely.

While it's not exactly a fact, the idea that Warcraft 4 not existing because of WoW still chaffs my hide, and it's damn close to the truth if you ask me. If there will be a Warcraft 4, it won't happen until WoW dies, and even then...I think Blizzard sees only Starcraft as their main RTS now, since it's pretty much the world's flagship RTS. They see Warcraft as an MMO, rather than an RTS...and that is NOT what Warcraft should be.

noobasuar

Banned
I know I'll sound like a jerk but I always hope for Nintendo 1st party titles to fail (which is unrealistic as it gets).

I'm steadily getting into that age when I'll have my first kid and I definitely NOT want him to grow up with the goddamn same games I grew up with. I can hold off buying Nintendo consoles for him/her but whatever, you get my point.
I just want gaming to go forward. My father grew up with some classic movies and music. Those movies and music types aren't hot stuff anymore. There may be some remakes or reboots here and there but they are not as blatantly obvious as releasing almost the same 2D platformer for over 20 years.

NSMB:U has some of the best level design of this decade in a platformer. Sorry that your blind to that fact and think that every game they release is a goddamn copy. SMH. And that goes for everyone on this board that thinks new IP is hot shit over games with fantastic gameplay design.

Nerokis

For me, it's World of Warcraft. I did play the game and I genuinely enjoyed it for the time I played, but because of World of Warcraft, there probably will never be a Warcraft 4. Warcraft 3 is one of my all time favorite games. I loved it's gameplay, but most of all I loved it's story. I felt that WoW totally muddled up the Warcraft lore. I think there's only two ways the lore can be salvaged for a new Warcraft RTS, and it's either making WoW it's own separate entity lore-wise and starting from where Frozen Throne left off, or rebooting it; but with all the races that Blizzard has fleshed out because of WoW, a total reboot to the lore is highly unlikely.

While it's not exactly a fact, the idea that Warcraft 4 not existing because of WoW still chaffs my hide, and it's damn close to the truth if you ask me. If there will be a Warcraft 4, it won't happen until WoW dies, and even then...I think Blizzard sees only Starcraft as their main FPS now, since it's pretty much the world's flagship RTS. They see Warcraft as an MMO, rather than an RTS...and that is NOT what Warcraft should be.

The failure of World of Warcraft would make a Warcraft 4 far less likely, not more. I mean, because of WoW we got Hearthstone, we're getting Blizzard All-Stars, even a movie...I'd say an RTS game is hardly totally out of the picture, and if it is, it's only because Blizzard doesn't feel the need/desire to make one.

I mean, while Warcraft lore has been MMO/modern Metzen/whoever is writing everything now-ified, wouldn't it be amazing to see post-WC3 lore developments sort of reimagined into RTS form, a format that lends itself far more to good storytelling than MMOs?

Seriously, the success of WoW begs for a RTS comeback. My interpretation is the opposite of yours. :p

Apeopleman

No, I haven't. Wishing for a game to fail seems desperate, lowly, and shortsighted.

Yes, considering if a game doesn't sell well, people can actually lose their jobs.

But when 17 year old cry babies don't get a Dante with white hair, they spam every message board slamming a hard working developer and wishing failure and difficult times among the creators and fans alike.

Arsenic

Yes, considering if a game doesn't sell well, people can actually lose their jobs.

But when 17 year old cry babies don't get a Dante with white hair, they spam every message board slamming a hard working developer and wishing failure and difficult times among the creators and fans alike.

When I want a game to fail, I'm mostly thinking about the design decisions forced on those developers to no longer be the norm. Like with Socom Confrontation, I wanted it to fail because it sends a message to the publisher NOT to fuck with the game's formula. I WANT them to succeed by doing so.

Well they didn't get the point nor listen to the loudness of their fans over the final 5 years or so and made Socom 4 with the same concepts in mind. And guess what? They failed, shut down the studio (Zipper), and hundreds of developers were out of a job. Good going.

Sometimes its good to listen to your fanbase, these are the very people that put the dollars in your pockets.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
When I want a game to fail, I'm mostly thinking about the design decisions forced on those developers.

Like with Socom Confrontation, I wanted it to fail because it sends a message to the publisher NOT to fuck with the game's formula. I WANT them to succeed by doing so. Well they didn't get the point, and made Socom 4 with the same concepts in mind. And guess what? They failed, shut down the studio, and hundreds of developers were out of a job. Good going.

Sometimes its good to listen to your fanbase, these are the very people that put the dollars in your pockets.

In certain situations it's really the publisher that feels the brunt of damage on a failed property. Not an outsourced developer. Failure can often lead to structural change. It's useful in establishing what works and what doesn't. What changes should be made and what things should stay the same.

A lot of people here are discrediting failure as something that is only negative. It can be a very productive, albeit expensive, lesson. Those people only wanting success and neutrality are the ones with childish perspectives.

Arsenic

In certain situations it's really the publisher that feels the brunt of damage on a failed property. Not an outsourced developer. Failure can often lead to structural change. It's useful in establishing what works and what doesn't. What changes should be made and what things should stay the same.

In this case, the outsourced developer had strong ties with the publisher (producers were Sony employees) and it seemed some of the decisions were directly coming from the publisher. Shit like "we want some of the COD fanbase" sounds like something a publisher would want, not a developer who usually just wants to make a great game.

Socom 4. The devs tried so blatantly hard to make a TPS call of duty clone that nobody wanted. Now the dev and franchise are dead forever.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
In this case, the outsourced developer had strong ties with the publisher (producers were Sony employees) and it seemed some of the decisions were directly coming from the publisher. Shit like "we want some of the COD fanbase" sounds like something a publisher would want, not a developer who usually just wants to make a great game.

Exactly. And it's the publisher that needs to feel the heat in their wallets. It doesn't always work out that way, but it's often enough.

Banned
No, that's just wrong. Some peoples lives depend on the sales of their games. But I read it a lot on GAF, especially with some Nintendo games (TW101, Bayonetta 2, etc).

Mman235

When I want a game to fail, I'm mostly thinking about the design decisions forced on those developers to no longer be the norm. Like with Socom Confrontation, I wanted it to fail because it sends a message to the publisher NOT to fuck with the game's formula. I WANT them to succeed by doing so.

Well they didn't get the point nor listen to the loudness of their fans over the final 5 years or so and made Socom 4 with the same concepts in mind. And guess what? They failed, shut down the studio (Zipper), and hundreds of developers were out of a job. Good going.

Yeah, the idea that wanting a game to fail is "short-sighted" is silly for exactly this reason (at least depending on the motive). In many cases the success of Franchise butchery just results in an even larger crash down the line due to the increased success promoting much larger budgets (and bigger teams), which makes an inevitable future failure much, much worse.

Top Bottom