• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever genuinely wanted a game to fail?

NotSelf

Aubrey-Plaza-no.gif

Tiops

Breath of Fire VI and almost every S-E mobile game. And I woul like to see a decline in the mobile game industry.

Yes, I'm salty. And yes, I know I'm going to be really disappointed.

Melchiah

I'm sorry, but Resident Evil 4 was f'ing great. 5 and 6, not so much though.

It was a good game in itself, but it wasn't really a Resident Evil sequel many expected. It ushered the way for more action into the series, and contributed on throwing the horror on the backseat.

DrZeus

I just try not to focus on games/genres I have not interest in for whatever reason. People work hard on some of these games and need to make a living like the rest of us.

Nah. There are better things to do in life than seethe over some shit like a game. I will laugh when hyped games turn out to be shitty though.

jonkeee

Unconfirmed Member
All of the franchises that have been milked to death so companies start releasing original non every year sequels so you name it:

Call of Duty
Assassins Creed
Uncharted
God of War
Batman

Let them burn and something new grow from the ashes.

And if Nintendo could innovate it would please me greatly. I don't want anymore remakes.

Amir0x

Banned
Sure, a bunch of times. Mostly when it's a game that actively ruins a franchise to appease a bunch of people who aren't fans of the damned series anyway.

Most recently, I wanted DmC to fail and Tomb Raider to fail; both molested the legacy of the original series, although DmC is much closer to the original vision than TR was, anyway. I wanted them to fail for obvious reasons: if they were a success, we'd all have to suffer years more of atrocious games in that mold. Tomb Raider was the most offensive reimagining of a series I can think of. Literally abandoned anything that made the original compelling, held everyone's dick because apparently gamer's today don't like losing at things, massacred platforming - one of the keys to TR's success - with absolutely zero compelling or challenging moments of platforming. One of the most laughably awful game stories this year. The "tombs" were embarrassingly simple little challenge rooms. The island is filled with boring generic bad guys to slaughter mercilessly as Lara Croft pretends to have a fucking moral crisis about it as she drives the pick axe into someone's head. Just an atrocious game all around, an affront to the uniquely original vision of the original series, and an affront to quality game design everywhere.

Other than Animal Crossing, I never wanted a game to fail as hard as Tomb Raider. Whether my wish succeeded or not was of course beyond the point; it was never in my control anyway. But voicing how awful the entire game is, how insulting it is to game players, how unimaginatively derivative it is of every awful checklist game design trend this generation is in a way cathartic. Just an awful effort all around and those guys should feel bad for making such a terrible game that destroyed any reason Tomb Raider was loved in the first place.

But there is logical reason to want such a game to fail, as one can see. In this case, it is because one has been a fan of a series since the start and following the 'new' path meant abandoning those of us who actually supported and loved the series for an alternative vision that is my-first-game pathetic in its cynical approach to gamer design. So naturally, if one was to have hope of ever getting a return of more traditional Tomb Raider design philosophy, one must hope for the new title to fail.

Mario Sunshine. I was like 10 though and hated the demo I played at the mall after loving 64. Did not want a Gamecube because of that lol.

I actually like the CoD series, but part of me wants the next installment to fail so that other studios stop aping CoD-like gameplay in titles that don't need it. The only justification I can think of for wanting something to fail is so that it isn't imitated by or seeps into other work.

Melchiah

Sure, a bunch of times. Mostly when it's a game that actively ruins a franchise to appease a bunch of people who aren't fans of the damned series anyway.

From my perspective that certainly applies to Resistance 2, as it changed many things that made RFOM a FPS game of its own. It felt like they were chasing the COD/Halo crowd, instead of aiming to please the fans of the first. I didn't really wish the game to fail, quite the contrary, before I had played it through I hoped it would be as good as the first one, or even better. I sure as hell didn't get what I wished for.

I did hate the MP part with a passion, as it took resources from the development of the SP campaign, which is probably one of the reasons why it was so lackluster.

Even tho i play some of them, any franchise that releases a game on a yearly basis to me deserves to fail. They might make money, but they are very rarely exciting.

Kyzon

Traditional Game? Never.
Candy Crush and anything else blowing up my Facebook can burn in the 7th ring of hell though.

Kasumin

I remember a Namco Bandai exec speaking a few years back saying that his ideal gaming situation as a businessman was selling a little piece of a game and then additional pieces, slowly making more money than they ever would've just by selling all the content already on the disc. And really, if you look at Namco Bandai games, thats exactly what they have done. For example, modern Tales games sell costumes as DLC. Those cool bonuses which were originally hidden in previous tales games are now $4 each! I remember reading an article on Kotaku where someone calculated how much money it would cost to buy all the items in an Idolm@ster game and it ended up being in the hundreds of dollars. The new JoJo's game has DLC up the wazoo as well. I love a lot of these Namco Bandai games (I'm a big fan of the Tales series), but what they're doing is really sad. So, I don't want Namco Bandai games to fail, but on the other hand, I don't want these tactics to be successful either...ugh.

Ugh, that's disgusting. But it explains so much about how Namco Bandai operates these days. I just hope that Tales games don't go beyond costumes and attachments as DLC... I can live with that since costumes and attachments are just cosmetic. But if they started doing that with post game dungeons... ugh.

I don't believe I've ever actively wished for a game to fail, but I have felt disappointment over certain games and their design decisions, so I can understand why other people would wish that others would "vote with their wallet" to make a change. Of course, things are never that simple, and I figure the best I can do is buy what I support, not buy what I don't support, and leave the rest to fate. Sure, I've been able to make an argument for or against certain games when talking to friends, and maybe that's made a very slight impact, but wishing games to have bad sales does nothing, and gives me no satisfaction. It's no guarantee that it will shape the industry to make the games I like, and besides, I would just be depriving others of game that THEY like, and I really don't feel like being a dick like that.

model13

Ever since Taco Bell dropped the Enchirito, I hope they fail and burn in hell.

Seems less rational when you are talking about food... or maybe it's just as rational as wanting a video game to fail because you don't like it or the company that made it.

sphinx

the piano man
I've never wanted anything to fail prior to release but after playing and completing Metroid: Other M 100% I was glad that it was critically panned everywhere, by players and journalists.

the game is a 7 out of 10, by itself, without comparing it to anything else but being the sucessor to the prime games, (not even mentioning super metroid), then it transforms into a 2/10 game, it so fucking abysmal, nintendo needed to know it was a mistake.

the game single-handedly transformed a once stellar frachise into a bad looking, clumsy, mediocre experience.

the game is o.k, it's serviceable, and has fun parts but as part of the metroid canon, it's a fucking piece of shit, it should have never been greenlighted, and I am not thinking about the narrative here, just thinking about the game that is contained within.

I was happy it failed.

LtOrange

I selfishly want Titanfall to suffer alittle because of the timed xb1 exclusivity. Just enough so that Respawn/EA doesn't do it again with future titles. I hate admitting how salty I am that I have to wait.

Zabuza

Banned
I selfishly want Titanfall to suffer alittle because of the timed xb1 exclusivity. Just enough so that Respawn/EA doesn't do it again with future titles. I hate admitting how salty I am that I have to wait.

I can agree with this one. Too bad it won't.. :(

SoulUnison

Banned
The DmC supporters make kind of want to know their personalities in real life. I watched someone play through it and he is actually fairly reasonable with games. He literally dropped the controller and couldn't bring himself to continue after about 30 minutes he thought the dialogue was so shitty.

It was pretty childish, as in tactless. The old DMC was cheesy but it never took it self too seriously. It was bad enough that the main character in DmC looked like someone I would beat the shit out of in high-school. He's the perfect main character for mentally and emotionally deranged teens of today I suppose.

I like how you talk about the "mentally and emotionally deranged teens of today," right after saying the character looks like "someone [you] would beat the shit out of in high school." Presumably, just because of how they look. *That* sounds pretty "childish and tactless" to me, so why isn't this game right up your alley?

Wthermans

Banned
Anything from Uber Entertainment. Loved their development up until they lied to their MNC/SMNC playerbase and started milking Kickstarter. Eagerly awaiting the failure of Planetary Annihilation and I sincerely hope the studio closes.

JordanN

Banned
If there's a game I don't like, I just generally show disinterest. Wanting them to die also kills the devs behind it who may just be doing their job.

Just Ghost Recon Future Soldier.

Been a fan of the series since the original .

Play in the beta for grfs, went to gamestop the same day and change my pre order t max payne 3....

Still pissed at ubi/redstorm for making that game.

mishakoz

In my younger years, I was really hoping Halo 3 would bomb, just because of all the fucking annoying hype.

Now? No, it was an immature thing to want back then and I've matured as a gamer since. I never want any game to fail, though I wish some games did not have so much success.

-Horizon-

I don't think I'll go that far to express my dislike of a game. If I really don't like it, I won't even bother commenting on it.

Myzer

The new "Sim City" game. The more I heard about it, the more I started to hate it to the point where I hope it would fail.

ios and android as gaming platforms - every game for them, genre unimportant. for completely selfish reasons of course

i dont find games on either one enjoyable, and it bugs me off when i see big name developers doing a mobile game when they could be doing something i would be interested in

like i said, for completely selfish reasons :)

valeo

Nope. Life is too short to be that petty. The cream *usually* rises to the top and the crap normally falls to the bottom; the way it should be.

Dmc

and it did. beautifully even.

Even though the western media did its best to try to hype it up, it failed..and I enjoyed the salty tears of its supporters..they powered my dream machine for eons.

Call of Duty. Not because I don't like the game (I just don't play it) but because I think if other publishers have to orient themselves on the biggest selling franchise the flagship might just be a game I actually like gameplay wise.

Yes. Call of Duty series after denying all competitive gaming since CoD4

Even if you don't consider CoD "competitive" (under whatever arbitrary criteria), do you hold the same disdain for the thousands of other games that aren't "competitive"?

Top Bottom