• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever genuinely wanted a game to fail?

Slixshot

Banned
DOTA 2.(Yeah I said it)

Personally I don't wish any ill will to a specific project. People in the industry though that I can't stand, wish they'd lose their job because they are opportunistic assholes, trying to get ahead.

Every Aonuma Zelda game.

tumblr_m5cmq4inP81rwcc6bo1_500.gif

Ataraxia

I don't want other people to enjoy things I don't enjoy, so I hope the next BioShock game totally bombs because I thought Infinite was a bit overrated.

Budhapalm

Banned
Halo - can't understand the hype - played it and it was boring compared to CS.

And Every Resident Evil after RE4.
- Stupid force multiplayer, and action oriented bullshit.

Titanfall - can't understand the hype.

Mr-Joker

Banned
None, because I am not that pretty and pathetic to wish for a game to bomb in sales, as it will have a fan base that enjoys playing those games.

Even if it means I don't like the game as I simply choose not to buy them.

MechaX

wanting something to fail because of their own opinions is pretty close to being crazy and really shows how a lot people do not perceive anything outside of their own little bubble.

Unless you are the type who buys every single video game and tries to support every single developer, wouldn't the same end (ie, the risk of these developers not having jobs) be the same just by voting with your wallet? I mean, I guess you can separate the vindictive "I personally want this game to fail for reasons" from "I'm going to decline to take action, such as supporting this product," but when considering the only way to show support is through a purchase, it seems like a pretty meaningless distinction to me. When considering that actions do speak louder than words in this industry (most times), one's personal thoughts on whether a game should succeed is pretty harmless when at the end of the day, the sales numbers are going to be what matters (in other words, you probably actually fucked over developers by not supporting as opposed to just wishing for failure).

Of course, that's why I chose to vote down DmC with my wallet.

lol, but they'll just port it to the Wii U and people will still complain.
Those people will look so silly. MH3U proved WiiU is so superior to 3DS for MH that I can't even acknowledge the handheld versions exist. Nobody got time for controls that bad.

Not really. I don't want people (particularly developers and designers) to lose their jobs, but I hate seeing dreck rewarded too.

Even for most bad games, the people who were very hands-on (developers, graphic designers, etc.) with the project likely worked hard and are pretty skilled and knowledgeable in their line of work. I think most bad games turn out poor because of bad direction and design decisions by management and leadership, too much influence from focus testing and marketing departments, meddling publishers, bad budget, unnecessarily harsh milestones and deadlines forcing people to work ridiculous hours - leading to stress and burnout, and subpar working conditions. In other words, when greedy "suits" encroach too much on the game's original pure creative vision.

AGNT4SD6

Neo Member
"Too Human" - After I heard Dennis Dyack go off on Mark MacDonald unprofessionally during the EGM/1UP Podcast I decided never to purchase that game.

R0ckman

The DmC supporters make kind of want to know their personalities in real life. I watched someone play through it and he is actually fairly reasonable with games. He literally dropped the controller and couldn't bring himself to continue after about 30 minutes he thought the dialogue was so shitty.

It was pretty childish, as in tactless. The old DMC was cheesy but it never took it self too seriously. It was bad enough that the main character in DmC looked like someone I would beat the shit out of in high-school. He's the perfect main character for mentally and emotionally deranged teens of today I suppose.

Roubjon

No, why would I want people to potentially lose their jobs or their reputation because of my niche as fuck gaming tastes?

Did it actually divert any resources? I mean, it wasn't even made in the same country as their SP games.

Well, at the very least, they pulled Drew Karpyshyn off Mass Effect and onto the writing team for TOR. Granted, his idea for the original ending of the trilogy doesn't sound all that amazing, but at the very least it was at least one more quality writer in the room that maybe could have told Casey and Mac, "No, guys, this ending is terrible. Now, about my dark energy thing..."

massoluk

Banned
The latest SimCity is probably the only game that I genuinely wanted to fail commercially. I was really mad at a lot of decisions made for this game.

Celegus

The latest SimCity is probably the only game that I genuinely wanted to fail commercially. I was really mad at a lot of decisions made for this game.

Same here, and doubly so for the new expansion. Most games I'd rather simply ignore than wish it to fail, but when a team makes a huge number of common sense mistakes and then doesn't fix them for the expansion and just keeps adding more DLC instead of addressing the actual issues, that's not something I want anyone to support.

...maybe one Call of Duty post MW1. And I wouldn't want it to totally bomb, just not do the same sales it gets every year. On the off-chance that copying the style is no longer a safe bet, it'll be interesting to see where some games go
please don't be Capcom and go mobile

There was some wishful thinking with DmC to not do as well, but I never expected my wish of the DMC HD collection outselling DmC at certain times to really come true.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Nah. And I hate Activision with the fury of a thousand suns.

The thing is, developers don't set out to make shitty games or to piss you off. Tgat would be counter-productive to them actually trying to get your money.

Unfortunately, most of the time, they aren't the ones funding the game, or setting up the deadlines and release schedules, and their game can suffer for it.

I just speak with my wallet and not buy games that don't interest me. I don't hope for failure of the game(s)

KarmaCow

I wanted Other M to fail, not because I wanted retribution with the livelihoods of the people who worked on it, but because I would very sad if the future of Metroid was more Other M. I feel bad for the people who love Phantasy Star but not PSO or pre-SotN Castlevania and not Metroidvania.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Assassin's Creed series.

They're hardly games IMO and don't offer anything of substance. I can't stand annualized franchises.

Guitar Hero, etc.

every suda 51 monstrosity

they're all spectacular failures but he somehow keeps getting work so i have to keep hoping

and all nintendo games of course

angrygnat

I have wanted the Madden series to fall on its face for going on a decade. Tiny incremental changes year to year and people continue to support the franchise. I'm not saying I want the title to be done. Just give it enough of a break to where its not so noticeable that its the exact same game year after year.

DmC Devil May Cry.

Mainly because it tried to turn the series into something that it wasn't. It was a decent game in the end, but Ninja Theory's Dante is a horrible character.
This is how I feel about current Final Fantasy titles which have replaced everything that Final Fantasy used to be.

Not saying I wish anything to fail, but I just don't want them to stop making the kinds of Final Fantasy titles that I like.

I can't say absolutely genuinely but I have been pretty close. I think the closest I've been has been with the latest iterations of Madden and it's not because I hate the NFL... I love the NFL. I could watch it for the whole day even if my team isn't playing (it's less stressful that way actually). I just don't feel that that series has moved forward enough. I'm not wowed by anything the series does anymore. I want change and the millions of fans who buy it every year I deduce have created a conservative complacent EA Sports.

I have wanted the Madden series to fall on its face for going on a decade. Tiny incremental changes year to year and people continue to support the franchise. I'm not saying I want the title to be done. Just give it enough of a break to where its not so noticeable that its the exact same game year after year.

This right here, except it hasn't been 10 years for me, more like since 2006.

njean777

No, and why would I? Not every game is made especially for you. I have a lot of friends that want to see COD die, which would be a bummer because I enjoy COD.

I've wanted the Pokemon games to fail for the longest time. I honestly view them as the Elephant in the room that no one seems to talk about. Those games are so stupid to me and it frustrates me that no one else is as infuriated as I. They sell a gagillion copies, they haven't changed... like ever... the pokemon in them are getting worse and just stupid, and that same rock, paper, scissors gameplay wouldn't fly in any other game, but seems to get a free pass in pokemon. UGH.

I normally don't want anything to do poorly (okay well maybe Microsoft for stupid reasons), but developers especially I want to receive recognition for their hard work. Pokemon is an exception. I want that series gone.

GenericUser

Asking this because I've seen people say things along those lines constantly. I remember when FF13 was announced on 360 scores of fans wanted it to flop horribly.

I don't like saying things like this because the devs worked hard on the game, but it's certainly happened. MoH Warfighter is a perfect example of this.

What about you guys?

no

I've sort of secretly and vocally hoped for just about every gimmicky Kinect game to fail, hard... Come to think of it, just about every Kinect game now that I look back.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
If you want games you don't care about to fail you're failing at life

Astarte

Dragon Age 2. The disappointment in me playing and beating it reached critical mass and I thought bioware could do no worse or match its quality.
Then mass effect 3 happened.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
I think it's totally reasonable to hope for a game to fail if you think it's actively introducing shady business tactics or otherwise having a negative effect on the industry.

Silvawuff

All F2P games that force IAP and/or poorly-implemented DLC that adds little value or content to a title you've already paid full price for.

This is not the future I think gamers want.

spirity

I think it's totally reasonable to hope for a game to fail if you think it's actively introducing shady business tactics or otherwise having a negative effect on the industry.

Agreed. SimCity is a good example here. Although I don't actually want to see the people who genuinely did their best on that title out on the street so to speak, I also don't think that game should have sold anywhere near 1.5m, it should have bombed and I'd have been glad if it did.

Some games deserve to do well but don't. Some good companies go to the wall, and it sucks. But there -are- games that should fail both critically and financially, and there -are- people involved in making such games that don't deserve a penny of the proceeds.

Meia

DmC. I hated the redesign, but that wasn't what did it. The scene early on when the wig falls on his head and he makes a smartass comment to the camera with it on = fuck right off guys. No reason for that scene to even exist.

Dead Rising 3. Was becoming what it wasn't supposed to be, so yeah, I kind of hoped it'd do badly just so they could go back to their routes. Didn't matter if it destroyed the franchise instead since it WAS destroyed by the act of that game coming out. "We're trying to capture the CoD audience" attitude can also fuck right off.

Assassin's Creed 3. Buggy mess that got further and further away from what the root gameplay of the series was. Coupled with a horrible culmination of the modern day story, and yeah. Still sold a fuckton, so oh well for me I guess.

PROVISION: In no way do I want people out of a job, I just want these messes of gaming decisions to stop.

Rezae

Not really, but I even though I haven't been a big DMC fan since the original (which I loved), I absolutely hated the look of the newer DMC and how Capcom made Sony use that model for PSABR. I definitely wasn't rooting for it. Also the new Tomb Raider I was really looking down on for what appears to be an Uncharted rip-off and nothing like the original games .... but I haven't played it and it's gotten good praise for the most part, so I'll check it out soon.

Not that it'll ever "fail", but I'd like to see CoD come back down to Earth. More power to Activision for striking gold with their formula, but it's been killing the industry (other publishers fault chasing that $$$).

MYE

The DmC supporters make kind of want to know their personalities in real life. I watched someone play through it and he is actually fairly reasonable with games. He literally dropped the controller and couldn't bring himself to continue after about 30 minutes he thought the dialogue was so shitty.

It was pretty childish, as in tactless. The old DMC was cheesy but it never took it self too seriously. It was bad enough that the main character in DmC looked like someone I would beat the shit out of in high-school. He's the perfect main character for mentally and emotionally deranged teens of today I suppose.

Oh man lol

Sonic fan base, you are no longer the worst. Hand over your crown and sit next to the Zelda fan base.

Top Bottom