• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever genuinely wanted a game to fail?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
No, I have never wanted a game to fail.

I am not threatened by games or the actions of game publishers.

Dicer

Banned
Every Nintendo game. I wanna see them exit the console business ASAP.

I enjoyed the W101 review thread and I will enjoy the September NPD just as much. Nintendo fanboys are crazy as all hell which always makes me laugh.

So, you hate fun? Good to know I guess.

Oh and btw: PS2 launched 18 months prior to Xbox/GC.

MYE

Why would you not want DmC to fail? It's an insult to it's fans. Thought up by greedy marketing men without a clue.

Many of the things you have enjoyed through out life started as a pitch by "greedy marketing men" out to make lots of money. Most things, actually.

Regardless of your cartoon-vilain view on how marketing works, the development part is usually fueled by one or more individuals that have a vision, and a team that contributes and works hard and passionately to get it done.
The team at NT was obviously passionate about making their take on DMC, and even though entertainment is made to be criticized, going beyond the "vote with your wallet" mentality to actively wishing everyone hates it so it crashes and burns while you laugh at their misfortune, is a fucking disturbing thing.
Specially if it comes from anyone older than 12.

I also want the following games to fail:
Mario3DWorld
Mario Kart 8
Animal Crossing whatever
Smash Bros U/3DS

Nintendo needs to learn to innovate and stop cashing in on mindless drones willing to pay for the same shit every year.

Nintendo used to be better than this!

We are all selfish to some degree. But maybe, just maybe, the continual success of these games shows high demand and appreciation for what they offer.

Maybe if I have a boiling hatred for everything company X does, I should stop praying for their failure and being angry at how others seem happy about their products, and look for shit I like somewhere else.
I also don't see how Smash Bros is guilty of being "the same shit over and over" when there are only 3 games out, and all of them play differently.

And we don't know much about Mario3DW. But I find it funny that we live in a world where a sequel to Galaxy gets almost universal praise but a main console game that apparently uses the foundation of the original 3D Land to build something new is suddenly target of angry fans that cry for innovation. Seems like a case of people crying that its not what they wanted, more than being mad because it isn't something new.
And the game is not even out yet. Not like that matters much anyway lol

Brera

Banned
Hey! lets make a list of 4 things that try to prove my point and completely ignore things like motion gaming, dual screen and second screen gaming, touch screen gaming, 3D display, augmented reality games, etc!

Even though I hate most of that crap, they still did it when no one else did.

I hate all of that crap as well.

Best and worst thing Nintendo has ever done is making and then ignoring this beast:

Wii-U-Pro-Controller1.jpg

Aside from DmC ?

That's like the only game where i genuily felt i wouldn't want it to be a sucess , that was before and after i tried the game.

Caronte

It's not exactly that I want them to fail but I wish games in first person view were less succesful. The reason is because I can't stand that view but I want to play those games.

Bkey

Banned
I want all EA games to fail as I have had it with this company. Its practices of releasing games ever year that is just the same game with minor changes needs to stop.

I wanted Live to fail and I wanted the first Halo to fail. I hated what live has turned console games into...a monthly fee . I was very excited for Halo when it was announced for PC...when it changed to Xbox I skipped it. I still wonder to this day what Halo would be like if it stayed PC only.

It's funny because the ones I usually want to fail, I usually end up buying into later on. But right now, I want the Xbox One to fail, so that Microsoft may learn the error of their ways with it and just end up dumping the console market (so realistic, I know).

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Many of the things you have enjoyed through out life started as a pitch by "greedy marketing men" out to make lots of money. Most things, actually.

Regardless of your cartoon-vilain view on how marketing works, the development part is usually fueled by one or more individuals that have a vision, and a team that contributes and works hard and passionately to get it done.
The team at NT was obviously passionate about making their take on DMC, and even though entertainment is made to be criticized, going beyond the "vote with your wallet" mentality to actively wishing everyone hates it so it crashes and burns while you laugh at their misfortune, is a fucking disturbing thing.
Specially if it comes from anyone older than 12.

I'm sure some people are doing that, just like some people sent NT death threats through email and on their message boards, but is that really the majority of activity in this thread?

I don't see why extending the "voting with your wallet" mentality to feeling satisfied when sales reflect the message you wanted to send makes someone an irredeemable asshole.

Sure game failures can result in lost jobs, and I don't wish ill on anyone who gets tossed aside in the midst of all that, but that's a problem the industry has to deal with. As a fan I just want there to be games being made that I want to buy.

Basically I just don't agree with the idea that wanting games to underperform to send a message = Wishing the devs of that game were jobless/homeless.

Nymphae

Banned
Not really. Although when I heard about the Sim City always online thing, I kind of hoped it would fail to a degree so that they would consider changing that.

MYE

I'm sure some people are doing that, just like some people sent NT death threats through email and on their message boards, but is that really the majority of activity in this thread?

I don't see why extending the "voting with your wallet" mentality to feeling satisfied when sales reflect the message you wanted to send makes someone an irredeemable asshole.

There are A LOT of people here in GAF that proudly announce that they would rather see the DMC franchise dead than watching Capcom release DmC 2 instead of DMC 5.
Do I even need to comment on how retarded this is?

Its one thing to be happy that voting with your wallet got you the game you wanted in the end. Its another to cheer the death of a product and misfortune of their creators, without even knowing if these events will lead to the development of whatever you wanted in the first place.

The Old Republic, mostly because of how it diverted so many resources from BioWare's SP properties and ended up producing worse games as a result (although I doubt it's the only thing to blame for DA2 and ME3's ending).

And while I don't really sit around hoping for them to fail, I must admit to getting a little bit of satisfaction every time another shallow attempt to create a "WoW killer" (usually by making an MMO that's 90% just like WoW) fails miserably. Just because it'll hopefully mean that studios will eventually stop trying and start spending their resources on games I have more of an interest in. Yeah, I'm petty.

IvorB

At least use a pic of the final design lol

tumblr_mg7p5xXdg81ryfipvo1_500.gif

tumblr_mim0oystZg1rdln0lo1_500.gif

ugh, I really hope we don't go back to the old insufferable Dante.

If you hated Dante so much why even play the DMC games in the first place? Anyways I don't really want to get into the Dante debate again.

Why do threads like these ALWAYS breed DmC haters?
I loved the game and I also loved DMC1, 3 and 4, yet I think DmC did everything right in its own way.
Yes, the series as a whole has the sole problem of being owned by Capcpom, so there's always a chance that it just gets shelved and forgotten about, but DmC will definitely not be the final nail in THAT coffin, so please stop acting like it is.

Foffy

Banned
We are not robots programed to search and dissect the perfect fighting system without being affected by everything else surrounding the final package, in order to find some kind of enjoyment.

Its about balance, and DmC balanced a very enjoyable battle system with interesting characters, world and presentation in general. The latter parts being something previous DMC games failed miserably at, to the point of actually harming the overall appeal of the product for some people.

I suppose what you say is true, but it is also to be mindful that this is Devil May Cry. The whole core of the game is about style in combat. It's hard to have style when the systems in play are weak and broken to the point you can cheese the rating system and the enemies with no trouble. I am not even claiming DMC has the best fighting system in 3D games, but DmC is nearly around DMC2 in terms of genuine depth. It's all flash and nothing else. I would even argue characters as all of them are absolutely forgettable. The main antagonists aren't even threatening in the slightest, and the twist the end of the game has is absolutely poor. A DeviantArt twist if there ever was one for the series.

Now, I am not one of those who is claiming the game should fail and any idea moving forward with this type of game should never exist. I am only stating that DmC is a very poor Devil May Cry game. Maybe it's a decent action game, but that's the best it is. Decent. It does nothing to improve on the previous games in terms of core mechanics, and even goes so far as to take out things.

If all it took to have a favorite game in a genre was to have the deepest gameplay system that defines that genre, everyone would have a simulator type game that gives you 100 variables to take into account before squeezing a trigger as their best FPS ever made (for example).

That sounds like something I'd find to be true, seeing as I think ArmA is hands down the best military first person series out there. But maybe I hate modern military games where you have nanotechnology and super healing abilities while being a one man army capable of dishing out World War III on your opponents.

Wiktor

I'm really glad I'm not the only one who prefered the new Dante. Huge improvement, especially over the embarasment than DMC3 Dante was. WTF was Capcom thinking back then?!

Wiktor

The Old Republic, mostly because of how it diverted so many resources from BioWare's SP properties and ended up producing worse games as a result

Did it actually divert any resources? I mean, it wasn't even made in the same country as their SP games.

Splint

Any COD game. (For other devs/publishers to stop making clones)
Killzone 3 (So they learn their lesson)
TitanFall (too much ADS and quick killing COD ness)

KageMaru

It's sad when/if people truly want a game to fail. Hard working people have dedicated countless hours of their life to a 2-3 year long project and people want games to fail. I'll never understand it.

Saiyan-Rox

You don't understand. He has black hair and a remodeled face. He's super awful
/s

I don't understand the hate anymore for DmC having played it. When it first was announced I was in the "wtf have they done" group and was determined not to buy it. When I got it on steam and actually played it I really enjoyed it and I honestly don't see much difference between this Dante and the old one but that could be me.

kubus

All those rip-off facebook and ios games.

Seeing ads that say "Animal Crossing on your iPhone!" or "Pokemon + World of Warcraft = This game!". Also that Ridiculous Fishing rip-off. God, that stuff makes me so angry.

Other than that... nothing much. I hope that yearly installments will start selling less (looking at you, CoD and Assassin's Creed) because it'll hopefully cause publishers to spend more time on their titles and thus increase quality.

Lasdrub

I think a lot of people want 3D World to fail because it's not Galaxy 3. I think it will be a lot of fun like NSMB. Learn to local coop!

Not really, but I want Monster Hunter 4 to underperform (it wont) so it gets ported to a console with appropriate controls for the series.

Melchiah

Resident Evil 4, 5 and 6 because they weren't resi games anymore.

This, and also REmake, as it wasn't available on the platform all the rest of the RE games were, and where most of the series' fans were. I partly got my wish, as it sold far less than RE1-5.

Basically every mobile and Facebook game.

And this, as I feel the mobile trend is a threat to the future of consoles, and more traditional (and expensive) games.

TrueBlue

Not really. There's a lot of people who work tirelessly behind these things, even if I don't agree with what they're doing. So, purely on the level that people's livelihoods and jobs could possibly be at stake with the failure of a game, then no.

RMI

Banned
Not really, but I want Monster Hunter 4 to underperform (it wont) so it gets ported to a console with appropriate controls for the series.

lol, but they'll just port it to the Wii U and people will still complain.

I wanted ME3, Dead Space 3, and Dragon's Age 2 to fail. 2/3 ain't half bad.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Every casual games that Nintendo makes, Wii Fit or Wii Sports, don't care about those, don't want to see them again, and i want to see their Wii U versions fail so that Nintendo can put their resources only on non-casual stuff again, just like the old days.

DOTA 2.(Yeah I said it)

Personally I don't wish any ill will to a specific project. People in the industry though that I can't stand, wish they'd lose their job because they are opportunistic assholes, trying to get ahead.

Top Bottom