• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever had a period in your life where you'd only play one (single player) game for months on an end? What hooked you in so much?

Well, have you?

• Sure did!

Votes: 147 87.0%
  • Nah, my attention span ain't that long.

Votes: 10 5.9%
  • No, because I have a huge backlog so I don't replay games that I already finished.

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • No, but for my own reasons that are not listed.

Votes: 4 2.4%

• Total voters

Drizzlehell

Banned
I remember having this conversation with a friend of mine when I brought up the fact that I'd used to play nothing but Mass Effect (well, actually it was the whole trilogy but whatever) and it was an affair that lasted for over a year.

He then brought up the fact that he used to be obsessed with Metal Gear Solid 2 back when it came out because he was so blown away by every facet of that game that he just couldn't put it down and kept replaying it over and over.

So I wonder, how many of you had that kind of an experience? What game was it? What captivated you about it so much? How long did it take before you got it out of your system?

Chupanibre

Yeah. There's been a few. Been years, though... I used to go for 100% completion on every game I owned when I was younger. The ones I liked would get multiple 100% runs before I got tired of them. Back then, I'd buy the guide for games I wanted to take my time with.

Donkey Kong Country 1-3

Super Mario RPG

Final Fantasy 6

Crono Trigger

Mario 64

G-Police

Sonic Adventure 1 and 2

There's more, but those are the standouts.

Can't believe I forgot Super Mario World and Mario 3. Played those for years.

Last edited:

Sentenza

Not exactly. Not a single long full immersion, at least.

But I had single players games I returned to from time to time, accumulating hundreds of hours on them.

XCOM 2 War of The Chosen, where I played 20+ campaigns over the last 6 years, Mount & Blade and sequels, Heroes of Might & Magic 3 are all examples that come to mind on the spot.

I did, but not replaying it like many times over, but trying to get 100% Max Stats on FFX I remember spending manyyyyy days on it.

SSfox

There are few. One example i kept playing MGSV for months after i finished it , just going in the Map with a partner (most time D-Dog) and mess around is just so fun, specially with an incredible gameplay and top notch AI (best AI in PS4 gen also)

Back in PS1 i'd play MGS, or RE3 to no end, Likely finsihed those games more 80 times at least, i would finish MGS once each day. God Of War 2 PS2 as well, finish and repeat, game was so perfect in each area, it was just naturel to keep replaying it to no end, boss fights like Barbarian and twin sisters was so much Goospumps always.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Oh Yeah. I'm playing BotW to be followed by TotK right now. Those 2 will take a couple of months. After those games I'll be playing Starfield probably until the end of the year if it's as good as FO3. All Bethesda Games I play for ages and I don't even bother with mods. I just do EVERYTHING in the game and get all the DLC.

EDIT: I left out Halo. I've played through the entire series (except 2) numerous times.

Last edited:

RickMasters

Skyrim. I felt like I had a second life in that game. I still remember it was snowing when I first played it. it was also snowing in the game. I ate turkey legs levelled up a lot and drank coronas..... because I never had any real life mead!

I recall wanting a tonne of dark bortherhood DLC. Because....whats more fun than being a medievil assasin who can blow enemies off the side of mountains with 'thum' magic and a fancy looking great sword. I still play ESO online for my elder scrolls kicks, but...there was something special about skyrim! No game has devoured my time like skyrim did. No game ever heald my attantion for the hundreds of hours required to get the most out if. but skyrim was that one time, for me. Otherwise Im happy to lean on my years of fighting game and FPS expertise to get my kicks.

NES - SMB 2
SNES - Zelda: ALLTP
GC - Baten Kaitos: EWATLO and Baten Kaitos: Origins
Wii - Xenoblade Chronicles (took a break and never return to it)
Switch Lite - Zelda: BOTW

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. I can beat the intro for perfect stats, but before that, Xenogears Import, back in 1998. Took a lot of months to beat a game that was in a language I had no idea how to understand.

DaGwaphics

I'm not one to stick to a specific game for months without playing anything else. Some games I have put a lot more hours in than others though.

RickMasters

Every modern From Soft game did this for me.
I wish I could say the same. I skipped DS2 because people said it dont respect your time and the bonfire thing works different (less of them, making it more frustrating ?) Im absolutely gonna play bloodborne if it ever gets a PC release. D1 I think is easer than people made it out to be. but maybe its just down to me having fighting game player reactions in combat.

hey....did you used to walk up the black knights real slow like a real bad ass before engaging them? or invading somebody's world and standing still until they get close enough to parry their strikes? I could feel their hearts sink, everytime I sapped a big chunk of their health.......:messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_grinning_sweat: The fighting is so satisfying in DS games ! Im a parrying god on them too, if I dont mind saying so, myself!

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Quake 2 Action Quake 2 mod.
I had a Uni internet connection right to the UK backbone and it was my first online multiplayer game. Spent an insane amount of time on that game. Oh single player- nope.

Last edited:

RickMasters

I’m still regularly playing GT7 if that counts. I sometimes play online, but 95% of my time is just playing single player.
Id say so...GT is a car guys game. Im a forza player but id say the same things apply. We sink time into these games for the same reasons, I bet. sometimes you just want to builld a nurburing laptime killer...Sometimes you just want to build the fasted in class hot hatch, with subtle tuning mods, to keep it close to factory and see what you can do with it as a driver. sometimes its just about the pleasure of driving the cars when they have that satisfying realistic weightyness to them. I say GT or any racing game with a single player mode counts.

ZoukGalaxy

Fallout 3 did this to me, coming from the Wii, I played it on Xbox360, it was my first open world and it kinda fascinated and obsessed me for months, I wanted to discover every part and every single thing of the map, that feeling of freedom when getting out of your shelter was both exciting and frightening.
Also, I wasn't aware that 4 DLC existed (I played offline), once I got them it sucked me back again into the game.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

I'm not sure if it was entirely exclusive, but for like 6 months basically all I played was Uncharted 2. I must've finished it about 20 times. I even beat in on Crushing, and I basically NEVER play on harder settings (I mean, I could, I just don't have much patience usually).

I just absolutely loved it. Like my own personal blockbuster movie. And it looked *gorgeous* back then, too.

Markio128

Id say so...GT is a car guys game. Im a forza player but id say the same things apply. We sink time into these games for the same reasons, I bet. sometimes you just want to builld a nurburing laptime killer...Sometimes you just want to build the fasted in class hot hatch, with subtle tuning mods, to keep it close to factory and see what you can do with it as a driver. sometimes its just about the pleasure of driving the cars when they have that satisfying realistic weightyness to them. I say GT or any racing game with a single player mode counts.
Spot on. I’m currently having a lot of fun setting up my own races on the Nurburgring with varying conditions and vehicles. It’s such an amazing track once you get used to it.

A couple months back I replayed Max Payne 3 on Xbox. Finished every difficulty setting and modes, then did the same on PC, then picked up the PS3 version (rough port) and did it all again.

I still want to play it, fantastic game. Only downside is you can’t skip some cutscenes and the mod on PC to do so is a little janky.

RickMasters

Spot on. I’m currently having a lot of fun setting up my own races on the Nurburgring with varying conditions and vehicles. It’s such an amazing track once you get used to it.
And lets not forget....trying to beat real world times in the same cars! Im a porsche fanboy, so you already know that obsession with the green hell is real! :messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_fistbump:

one thing Ive always said about GT is its a car lovers game. PD really love cars and its shows. Im a car lover so yeah GT hits all the right notes!

Super Mario world 1 and 2 and super Mario kart. They lasted me years.

I’ve been playing Elden Ring nearly every day since it came out. The longest I haven’t played it for is like three days.

Before that, I finished Witcher 3 twice in a row. That took me months.

Markio128

And lets not forget....trying to beat real world times in the same cars! Im a porsche fanboy, so you already know that obsession with the green hell is real! :messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_fistbump:

one thing Ive always said about GT is its a car lovers game. PD really love cars and its shows. Im a car lover so yeah GT hits all the right notes!
I don’t know if you’re old enough to remember it, but Porsche Challenge was an amazing game.

GymWolf

I completed mgs1 11 times in a row.

played castlevania sotn for months, only discovered the inverted castle in my 2nd or 3rd run.

I played both sf2 turbo on snes and tekken 3 on psx for months.

Played monster hunter world for like 1000+ hours in 2 different platforms.

I'm a slow player so it happen often.

Kuranghi

Off the top of my head:

* The Settlers
* Monkey Island 2 and 3
* Max Payne 1 and 2
* MGS 2
* GTA 3
* Halo 1 and 2
* Half-Life 2
* Shadow of the Colossus
* MGS 4
* Skyrim
* Diablo 3
* GTA V
* MGS 5
* Just Cause 3
* Mad Max
* Hitman 2016
* Breath of the Wild

They are all mostly accepted to be universally amazing games is why 🤷‍♂️

I had one in the PS2/Xbox era that I immediately forgot, damnit.

For sure!

Skyrim, GTA V, and the Halo games are all most recent that completely took over my life for months at a time. I have also gone through periods where Alpha Centauri or one of the Civ games took all my attention for months. It's been a while since a game grabbed me like that and I played it for months though. Games that I have put 100+ hours into over the last year would be Yakuza 0, Yakuza Like a Dragon, Forza Horizon 5, and Assassins Creed Odyssey.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Yea, I played the OG 1996 Resident Evil pretty much exclusively for about 2 years. It was about 2015-2017.

Flawless game for me, I just love it. Simple as that really. It's always an absolute treat to play.

Aenima

Yeah, there was a time where i only played Ultima Online for 2 years, then when WoW came out also only played that for 1 year.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Borderlands series. The loot. Gimme the loot!! And after beating the game you realize the games is on easy when you first play. It feels like normal after you unlock true vault hunter mode.

GTA V. That open world is still amazing 10 years later.

And this is gonna sound weird...but GTA Online. GTA Online in Invite Only is 80%-90% solo. Some stuff I cant do, and I can still do specific pvp modes, and when that session ends I get put back into Invite Only. If you're new to GTA Online do Invite Only, Friends Only to get prepared to try a public session. Because you will need to level your character up some, maybe alot to unlock stuff to be better prepared.

Nope--I jump from game-to-game. So many good ones out there to experience; no time to waste. Even my most-played games like XCOM that I've put hundreds of hours into was done over the span of a few years.

Verchod

Not quite, but I did keep going back to Halo CE on original XBOX. And that's the single player. I played that a LOT.

I'm going to cheat, sorry. No single player game has ever done this for me or multiplayer game except for one. That game is WoW. I honestly thought I would never buy a console again just because how much fun WoW is and how much time I put into the game.

If it wasn't for the later expansions sucking (dragon flight was okay) I would never bought a console again. In fact, I still play WoW classic.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Ultima Online and WoW. I stopped with MMORPGs after playing WoW only pretty much for the first year. Was done with MMOs and raiding after that, lol.

Edit: SP only? No then.

Last edited:

Rockondevil

It's happened a few times, if we're legitimately talking months at a time (I see people saying Halo. As a Halo fan... how does that take you months?).

Minecraft when I get into a modpack I like.
Elden Scrolls
The Mass Effect trilogy might have been a month or so
Elden Ring I think I spent over a month on.
GTA V probably took a month
RDR and RDR2

Three

There was a time where I would just play Persona 4G and I did the same with Persona 5. Kind of did it with God of War 2018 too where I beat it on NG++ GMGOW and redid the trials over and over to unlock every armour set. Took me about 6 months for each before I put them down.

Last edited:

Rudius

Assassin's Creed Odyssey. After I finished the story I liked to just wonder around ancient Greece. The world interested me more than the game itself.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Yes. Bloodborne, because it's so fucking awesome.

I put a lot of hours on Final Fantasy XII, but I'm definitely not proud of that. I also played Tetris a lot. That's what I can remember now.

Top Bottom