• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever had a period in your life where you'd only play one (single player) game for months on an end? What hooked you in so much?

Well, have you?

• Sure did!

Votes: 147 87.0%
  • Nah, my attention span ain't that long.

Votes: 10 5.9%
  • No, because I have a huge backlog so I don't replay games that I already finished.

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • No, but for my own reasons that are not listed.

Votes: 4 2.4%

• Total voters

Banned
when I was very young yes. Mainly because as a kid you don't have access to a lot of money, so every game you get is squeeeezed dry before you stop playing 🤣

I think I played Pokémon Yellow for 3 months, partly because it was the hot new game out.
and then all the talk about glitches spread across the school, so we tried getting into the "Virus World" (or Virus Welt) as we called it... which was a glitch to get into a glitched version of the hub world by doing some crazy shit in the Safari Zone...
and of course hunting MissingNo.

Pokémon Gold similarly was squeezed dry by me, where you had even more stuff to do, including going back to Kanto and revisiting Gyms from the first game n stuff.
Pokémon you only get at night, only at day, trading, leveling... these games had you playing for months without getting old back then.

Last edited:
I'm not kidding when I say I put all my available gaming time into Returnal for months in 2021. Then the DLC content came out and I did it again.

Game catapulted itself into my Top 5 of all time.

K2D

Banned
Yes, and I am currently searching for a support group for my addiction..!

P7p1Gwm.gif

wwZ4IJ4.gif

(game is The Binding of Isaac)

GreatnessRD

OG Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - Game was just built real different! Man, what a game. Such a shame they modernized the remaster and it played like the current garbage.

All the wrestling games before 2008 had me in a chokehold, too.

Roxkis_ii

Final fantasy 7 - did 3 play throughs with my last save hitting the time cap 99 hours.

No Man Sky - I think I had about a 150 hour honeymoon with this game.

Deadcells - I'm still trying to get the thrid boss cell smh

Returnal - no timer to count my hours in this game, but I think I've done everything in the game but unlock some weason traits and beat the tower DLC (I think I got to the second to last boss)

Horzion Forbidden West - Was playing like an addict until I got to the last quarter of the story.

Special mention:

Gran Turismo 7 - Pure racing action baby.

Cyberpunk 2077 (PC) - I always wanted to play with mods so now Im starting a new playthough.

Yep, Uncharted 2. I would play that game over and over on repeat.

If I wasn't playing that it was MW2.

I have entire cutscenes memorized down to the exact musical que. I can listen to the sound track and know exactly where a characters line would fall.

I know exactly how many enemies spawn and exactly where they spawn from in most of the levels. Same with Drake's Fortune.

I know how to move Nate exactly in certain points to make his movement look as cinematic and fluid as possible.

I could honestly recite probably like 70% of the game from start to finish.

Oh and this one is weird, at the buddy boosting section near the river in Nepal with Chloe, Jeff and Elena, I know how to timed the game perfectly to make Chloe kick a certain blue milk carton that's lying on the ground next to the ladder.

Last edited:

BlackTron

This happened pretty much every time I got a new major game as a kid, but standouts were Sonic 1/2, SMW, Super Mario RPG, and the major Nintendo-published N64 games in order of release -SM64, Kart, Fox, Goldeneye and OOT got played to DEATH, often completely taking over from the week they came out.

I also went a really long time where my only games on Game Boy and Game Gear were TMNT II and Sonic 1. So of course I ran those games into the ground.

Humdinger

Yes. Skyrim around 2011 if I remember right. Played for about four months in a row. Same with Morrowind in 2001.

What hooked me in? I found the world very immersive.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I played Elden Ring almost the whole 2022, just had Returnal, NMS patch and Ragnarök as short side dishes. I just ticked all my boxes.

Deerock71

I think the last game that turn right around and start a brand new run through on was RE4 on the Gamecube. It felt so flawless at the time.

deathsaber

I've played nothing but "Trails" games since Trails from Zero released last September. Finished that, and then did a reply of Cold Steel 1 through 4. Played through Most Sky 1. Got Azure, and am know working through that, kind of taking my time though- will lead to Reverie in July when it releases. Got a pile of games for Christmas, which not a one have been played (Pokemon Scarlet, God of War Ragnarok, Valkyrie Elysium, Diofeld Chronicles, Bayonetta 3).

I thought I'd get RE4 remake at launch, but I'm worried about Azure, and since launch has come and gone might as well just get RE4 cheap when it inevitably starts discounting late summer/fall, after I'm finally through with Reverie.

ShakenG

GT7, been playing nearly every day since launch. Usually only giving it a break when the girl is off work. Can go through every race trying every Gr.4/3 car. Seeing what cars can win on hards vs meds, no extra power.. sometimes just for the dynamic weather.

After spending 10s of hrs doing that. Going back to slower cars and just enjoying the sunday cups and testing what cars are capable of winning under the suggested PP. The more cars/tracks they add, the more the replay value.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Oh yeah, for sure. That's why I love RPGs; I can get 120 hours out of one really good RPG and play it for 2 or 3 months.

I love trying to 100% them (although I usually only like 95% them :messenger_grinning_sweat: some challenges/unlocks just aren't worth the time). Leveling up to 99, getting all the abilities, weapons, armor and accessories, finding any other items so I have one of everything in the game, finding all the hidden areas, beating all the optional bosses, exhausting all the NPC dialogue, and of course beating the final boss. I love the adventure of all of it all and easily find myself getting lost in those games for months at a time.
Exactly what I do. I stretch those games out for months and usually play something short in between. TotK is worth the time too.

Btw, imagine if exhausting an NPC's dialogue caused all NPCs in a game to team up to lynch player 1. Now that'd be a plot twist lol

Andrenicks

Neo Member
Sure!

I think i've played for 5/6 month only FF8 when i was 10'

Then i played MGS2 for months again, and MGS3 After that.

And FF10 took me 4 months for complete It at 100%.

Everytime i didn't play no other games.

RickMasters

I think DS2 is underrated. I replayed it right before Elden Ring and it might be the most replayable Souls game just because the builds are so fun. Give it a shot if you haven't.
I think I will. I was trying to duck it because it because of their being less fire places.

Fools idol

Banned
Hitman: world of assassination.

On release of Hitman 3, I had never even touched a single Hitman game and just decided fuck it, went in blind with Hitman 3 and was so blown away I immediately bought the previous games and binged every single one to platinum in the space of around 1 month. I don't think I have been that engrossed with a game since the original Deus Ex or Tomb raider when they came out in the 90's.

It's one of the rare games that has a gameplay loop so perfectly satisfying, and a world so beautifuly immersive, and overall just so polished that at times it feels real. The replayability and quality of the level design throughout the series is that of a Michaelagelo masterpiece.

Elitro

Baldurs gate 2... I even replayed it a couple of times during vacations. Back when i was younger and had a lot more patience (and time).

The last single player game that really hooked me was Elden Ring, but it's a bit of a cheat, because you still see ghosts of other players (i killed everything alone though).

Nowadays replayability is out of the question for me, it's a one and done deal.

Top Bottom