• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever met a celebrity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxcriden

If so, what were they like?

I guess to get the ball rolling, I will share a brief story.

When I was working on the West Side as an intern at a marketing firm in Manhattan, I met Tommy Hilfiger in the elevator one time. He was flanked by several staffers and his assistant was introducing him to everyone else in this big elevator, kind of like a freight-sized elevator. Everyone in the elevator worked for him except for me, so when they got to me and the assistant didn't know who I was, Mr. Hilfiger stuck out his hand and said "hi," and I said, "hi, I...I don't work for you...." He laughed raucously at the idea that a person did not work for him, and went back to his business.

Not too exciting, I know. I'll try to think of a better one, though. Okay, your turn.

I met Del the Funkee Homosapien at a clothing store in Columbus and Hironobu Sakaguchi (creator of Final Fantasy) at Sea-Tac airport

Oh yeah-Del was short, high, and funny; Sakaguchi was a pimp in gators and with a young female companion.

RPGCrazied

I probably wouldn't call him a celebrity I guess, but John de Lancie at a Star Trek convention many moons ago. Does wrestling count? The road warriors at some WWF event when I was a kid.

maxcriden

I probably wouldn't call him a celebrity I guess, but John de Lancie at a Star Trek convention many moons ago. Does wrestling count? The road warriors at some WWF event when I was a kid.

OMG! RPGCrazied, we are...three degrees apart? You met JDL. He's friends with a doctor I work with at my office. We're basically related! PM me for details on our family reunion.

I used to be Chad Kroeger's roommate years ago, but he wasn't really famous then.

In person I've met Louis CK, Pete Holmes and a bunch of other famous comedians, but that's about it.

MIMIC

Banned
If so, what were they like?

I guess to get the ball rolling, I will share a brief story.

When I was working on the West Side as an intern at a marketing firm in Manhattan, I met Tommy Hilfiger in the elevator one time. He was flanked by several staffers and his assistant was introducing him to everyone else in this big elevator, kind of like a freight-sized elevator. Everyone in the elevator worked for him except for me, so when they got to me and the assistant didn't know who I was, Mr. Hilfiger stuck out his hand and said "hi," and I said, "hi, I...I don't work for you...." He laughed raucously at the idea that a person did not work for him, and went back to his business.

Not too exciting, I know. I'll try to think of a better one, though. Okay, your turn.

T7EORfg.jpg

Rich!

Noel Gallagher bought some cigs from my old store and I had to refuse Gazza alcohol on another occasion

RPGCrazied

OMG! RPGCrazied, we are...three degrees apart? You met JDL. He's friends with a doctor I work with at my office. We're basically related! PM me for details on our family reunion.

I was probably like 14 years old, I even got his autograph, I recall him being nice, sadly I don't have his autograph anymore.

Tony Danza - very cool, very friendly and outgoing
Ted Nugent - not sure if dickish or was just in a hurry
Don McLean - cordial
Poison (hung out in CeCe Deville's room for a little bit and chatted with his wife and he came in and got changed in front of me after jogging, seemed really cool though)
Cinderella - best tippers I ever encountered and a lot of fun
Anthony Pettis - friendly and kinda surprised I knew him (he was just a WEC fighter at the time)
Scott Jorgensen - same as Pettis
Clay Guida - nice but all business

I've seen up close and personal but didn't get to meet: Kevin Smith, MC Hammer, Ice T, Lenny Dykstra, Joe Rogan/Mike Goldberg/Dana White

I feel like there's a lot more but thats all I can think of at the moment.

EDIT: Oh - my friend and I were hanging out with and buying drinks for the girls of Kittie before we realized who they were (they later took the stage and we were like 'ohhhhhhh')

Mr-Joker

Banned
Yes everyday when I look at myself in the mirror. I also once saw Eddie Izzard outside my house, it was an odd day.

I never met a celebrity...Well maybe the Queen of England when she came to Canada. but my Dad has Met Geddy Lee From Rush and Don Cherry

Dominator

Halle Berry, and coincidentally enough it was in an elevator in NY. She was just by herself though and I didn't want to be rude so I just said "Hi, how are you?" and she replied "I'm doing great thanks"

Was cool lol

I met Rich Vos after a stand-up set at the end of the show. He was cool. Bought a CD of his.

I've also met Hugh Dillon of Headstones & Hard Core Logo fame. Met him at an AMC theatre east of Toronto. He was there by himself, in a black trenchcoat, holding a massive container of popcorn, looking at 'coming soon' posters. Just walked up to him and introduced myself. He was cool too.

geeko

When i worked at EB in santa barbara, i Sold games to david arquette and to dennis miller twice. Whwn I worked for downtown parking I let Ron lowe, pierce brosnan, kathy ireland, kirk douglass, kevin costner and a few others out of the parking garages. I don't remember, as i was too young, but I supposably scared michael jackson away from a beach parking lot by yelling out " look! Its michael jackson".

Back when I cared about that kind of thing (I've lost interest, maybe due to depression), I went to Rue Morgue's Festival of Fear in Toronto. There, I met:

Clive Barker - Great guy. Very friendly and wouldn't leave until all fans had autographs.
Alice Cooper - Nice guy, it seemed, but it was like an assembly line.
Doug Bradley - Really nice
Tom Savini - Also quite nice

I also met the guy who starred in the Texas Chain Saw Massacre remake, but he was a douchebag.

Outside of those guys, I've also met Jose Bautista, who was nice.

sappyday

I've met Will Ferrel once but that's cause he and my mom know each other.

I've seen Ben Afflack and Ray Liotta at a Halloween shop that I used to work at. I also met met the Olsen twins and Frankie Muniz back when they were going to high school which I again was introduced to through my mom.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Paris Hilton. David Wright signed a cap for me. Also, I came within sniffing distance of Jessica Alba.

I met Maddox at his book signing and he was pretty cool. Not sure if this counts as meeting since it was an arranged thing or if Maddox even counts as a celebrity but that's all I got.

Got to hang out with Norm MacDonald after his show one night....and we smoked all my weed...which admittedly wasn't much. There's more to the story, but I don't know how to tell it concisely, so maybe some other time, or look at the official Norm MacDonald Live thread.

shuri

Banned
George A Romero:
He's not getting any younger but the man was SHARP as hell and very quick witted. A class act!

Carl Wheaters (aka APOLLO CREED!!)
A cool man, so calm and his voice is so manly, haha

Tom Savini:
I think it was not his day, he looked tired and pissed off.

Kevin Nash (aka DIESEL!)
Super incredibly friendly! He was kinda hungover from drinking lots of wine at a party the night before but he was hilarious and very cool.

i ran into Andrew McCutchen a few weeks ago down in the south side in Pittsburgh, he was cool, nice guy. i bs'd with him about random stuff for a few minutes. met a bunch of famous jazz and blues musicians growing up, a lot of them used to crash at my dads house when they'd be in town.

talked to Aesop Rock after a show in a parking lot. he was high as fuck but still what you'd expect him to be like, his laugh was pretty funny too.

Valhelm

contribute something
I met teen novelist Rick Riordan at an event when I was fifteen, but he's hardly a celebrity. Through high school drama classes I met a handful of actors who have had small roles in various TV and Broadway productions.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
I met Julian Cassablancas - real cool
James Mercer - really nice

And once saw Charles Barkley in a mall sitting on the bench next to me..was young and shy - knew it was him but didn't say anything
He kept looking at me smiling and throwing shots in the air to "remind me" who he was .. I just shrugged lol

I was invited to an after party by 343 Industries, and I met basically everyone from Rooster Teeth and Inside Gaming, they're all just as funny as they look on the screen. Especially Burnie Burns, super down to Earth guy, super humble and friendly.

Also, have met Rick Derringer several times, he's probably borderline a family friend at this point, after one of my concerts came up to me and we had a nice conversation and he gave me one of his picks.

Mau ®;130334231 said:
Mostly local celebrities.

I did meet Jared Leto once though.

I thought I saw Jared Leto walking down the street last week.

Turns out that it was just some dude wearing a 30 Seconds to Mars t-shirt.

I was disappointed at first, but then I realized that meeting a guy with a 30 Seconds to Mars shirt that's NOT Jared Leto is more rare than meeting Jared Leto himself.

So I got his autograph- dude was surprisingly down to earth!

THEY'RE JUST LIKE US!

BTM

Umm, does Larry the Cable Guy count? If so I met him at a high school football game like 9 years ago.

stn

I went to high school with Drake, played ball with him a few times. He dropped out by the time I hit grade 11, didn't see him from that point. He was an okay dude, not really much to say. I was somewhere around 17 or 18 so I didn't really pay attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom