• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever met a celebrity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerX

Banned
I met Alex Webster from Cannibal corpse at a pub in Dublin after they had played a gig. He was really cool and hung around talking to everybody over pints.

I just remembered another one! I met Mike Patton, back when he was doing that Lovage project with Kid Koala and Dan the Automator.

He pulled me up on stage at a live show and got me to ride his guitar player across the stage like a horsey. The guitar player was wearing a Spiderman costume of course. Then he gave me a huge sausage that was over a foot long. It was in its plastic seal. He signed it, as did all the other members of the band. I kept it for a few weeks but it started to smell so I threw it out.

I have another one that I just remembered.

I've ran into Lou Ferrigno on 4 separate occasions over the past 10-12 years or so, all over the country. There's no rhyme or reason to it. I think he's following me or something.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
... and pauljeremiah wins the thread. What a cool array of pics.

I've interviewed Dave Gibbons (artist of Watchmen) once, that's all I got

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
I was bummed when Brooklyn's filming schedule got in the way of Saoirse attending the IFTAs this year, which seemed to be an eleventh-hour clash as she was originally supposed to present an award. Speaking of which, I was initially dubious about her being nominated for Byzantium over How I Live Now -- I honestly thought it may have been a deliberate choice so the judges had an "excuse" to finally give it to someone else (the one and only time she's lost an IFTA nomination was in 2009, although she did win Best Supporting Actress, so it kindasorta evens out) -- but she ended up winning anyway.

This years IFTA's were a complete clusterfuck. The hosts were terrible and as funny as bad dose of haemorrhoids. I only went this year because Mike was nominated for best supporting actor for 12 years a slave (which he won). After the actual show was over (and we finally go some food), we didn't even stay for the after party, we just went up to Mike's room, and drank there, about 8 of us in total.

The last time before that we hung out at the IFTA's was when he won best actor for Shame, we partied hard in the DCC, and then moved on to the VIP section (the private bar upstairs) of Lillies (if you're from Ireland or Dublin you will know of this place) and then on to the Dylan Hotel where he was staying and drank their till 8am, we only stopped because he had a flight at 12 to London for the BAFTA's and he wanted to go have a shower and change his clothes.

When I met him earlier this year at the Xmen DOFP Premier in London (my ticket) the first thing he said was how this party was going to be way better then the IFTA's. We drank until about 2am, Mike was flying to Moscow the next morning.

I had a friend back in HS who was an expert in getting backstage way back in the day.

Hung out with Orbital, Tricky, and Blonde Redhead.

Orbital was the best, they let us play some tracks we were working on over their epic PA setup after the show and we hung out with them until dawn talking about movies and life.

Skelter

Banned
When I worked in AMC in NYC close to Time Square. Met Joseph Gordon Levitt. He was decent and also met Liam Neeson. He asked me if I wanted to wrestle. I think he was there for Taken 2 can't remember but I do remember his hands are really soft.

KingErich

Banned
I met Lexi Belle. I was at the Hard Rock in Vegas during the AVN's. She was standing there with a couple other people. Walked up and asked if I could get a picture with her. And she said yup.

No hover hand on that. Got right in and pulled her close. She gave a big ol' smile. Still have the pic on my phone too. She was way cool.

:)

OmegaFax

Reese Witherspoon about a decade ago. The prop master was nice enough to drive me into the set as they were wrapping up for the day.

Reeks

I see them around LA from time to time. Most of them do not look good in person: bobble head, really short and WAY too skinny (looks great on film but nasty in person). Saw Sandra Oh once and she had the veiniest hands in the world, like giant worms crawling under her skin. The only one I can think of that actually looked good was Minnie Driver. She wasn't wearing makeup and looked amazing (never thought she was attractive until I met her). She was getting her bag at a carousel at the Burbank airport. I helped her schlep a big bag and she was so nice and down to earth.

I also met Werner Herzog. He's not a celeb per se but he's a hero of mine. He was engaging and sincere. I was so fucking nervous. My boyfriend basically pushed me towards him (thank god he did).

I had a friend back in HS who was an expert in getting backstage way back in the day.

Hung out with Orbital, Tricky, and Blonde Redhead.

Orbital was the best, they let us play some tracks we were working on over their epic PA setup after the show and we hung out with them until dawn talking about movies and life.

Blonde Redhead?! I'm so jealous.

hunnies28

Almost bumped into Jessica Nigri once. We both instinctively said sorry and a few seconds later when I was already on my way I noticed some girls (who were with her) laughing and I noticed who it was.

This was during this years Comic Con.

I've met with all the members of the pillows (japanese band) and took some photos with them.
I also met with POLYSICS on the last US tour (last tour with KAYO), got an album signed by all of them.

Writer, director, editor.

Awesome!

1524.gif

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I almost met Steve Jobs at MacWorld NY 2001. I was about 10 feet away from him but was too nervous to walk up to him and shake his hand like everyone else was. By the time I worked up the courage he had walked away so fast i couldn't find him. Such a bummer.

I was about to say that I didn't have any, but I guess I did have one. I was an intern at Microsoft back when they used to take all the interns out to BillG's house for the end of internship party, so I got to meet him then. He was super friendly and really seemed to enjoy interacting with all the interns, even though he had a big crowd of them all around trying to ask the most intelligent questions that they could and one up each other.

I smoked a joint with Yoshiko Fujiyama, the singer and guitarist from the 5-6-7-8's.

They were playing in a small club here (in the Netherlands) around the time Kill Bill was popular. We were waiting for the show to start and Yoshiko or "Ronnie" came on the stage asking if anyone in the crowd had a "jointo". I happened to have one and raised it in the air. She came down from the stage and pushed through the crowd to get to me and we smoked some of it together. She was a wet smoker.

MC Safety

I've interviewed celebrities and wrestlers in person.

My favorite was Frank Miller. I worked for Wizard: The Comics Magazine and could not reach him by phone. We used to be made to work the Wizard Comicon in Chicago, and I met Miller in the lobby of a hotel. When I spoke to him, he remembered my name from the phone messages I left. He was apologetic and took me to the hotel bar, bought me a drink, and we conducted the interview over the course of an hour or so.

I know people speak of Frank Miller as a crazy old man, but I'll always remember him as thoughtful and engaging.

The most touching moment I had was when I interviewed Adam West. He was a really nice guy and as I was setting up my tape recorder and taking out my notebook, he sort of lowered his voice and requested I not take any cheap shots. It was just a real human moment where I wasn't speaking with an actor but just a guy who maybe was wary of people using him as a punchline.

And the only meeting I ever regretted was with Stan Lee. I was at the Chicago Comicon in the show office and there was Lee. He started talking to me! It was the only time I was awestruck, and I came off poorly. I was nervous and had no idea what to say, and Lee thought I was too busy to talk. This one I wish I had a do-over for. I would have fought through the awestruck, sat down, and talked with the guy for as long as humanly possible.

DTJAAAAM

A few off the top of my head...

-Liam McIntyre. Saw him walking around the exhibits in San Diego Comic-Con, shook his hand and talked to him briefly about how I can't wait to see him in Spartacus since this was before Vengeance had aired. He was nice.

-Paul Schrier (Bulk from Power Rangers). Went into the hotel elevator after a day at the SDCC and suddenly Bulk walks in. I was kind of nervous about asking him for a photo, but he was more than happy to take one with me. Said he'd see me tomorrow since he had a Power Rangers panel that day, but I didn't actually end up going to it.

-Mel B. Waited with a few other people to meet her at E3. She was late and they rushed her out of there fast, but she did stop to pose for a pic with me that didn't turn out very well.

-Shigeru Miyamoto. Asked if I could get a pic with him when I saw him at E3, but Bill Trinen said they were on their way to a meeting. Miyamoto still let me take a pic of him though, and sadly that one also did not turn out very well.

-Method Man and Snoop Dogg. More E3 encounters! Method was hanging around Sony's booth, talking to fans and taking pictures with people who asked. Snoop was at some thing for Yoostar on MTV and kept behind a glass wall/window but you could still interact with him.

-Garrett Wang. A friend of mine told me to come hang out at a Star Trek party of some sort, so dropped by and she introduced him to me since they know each other. Took a photo of them together that actually did turn out well, and now he's (at least for the moment) following me on Twitter.

Bumbles

Patrick Stewart - Very cordial but OMG Patrick Stewart

Karl Urban - Funny Guy

Chris Judge and Christopher Heyerdahl - Funny down to earth guys

Julie Benz - She was so nice, we talked for a bit

Jason Momoa - Cant decide if a dickhead or high, but general consensus was high

Jim Beaver - Friendly

Michael Rooker bumped into me, turned and said 'Sorry lil lady'. Was hanging out in the crowd like thats where he belonged.

jacksnap

Neo Member
Shook Roger Goodell's hand when I was an intern, guy had a killer grip.

Was in line with Phil Fish getting free beer. We chatted about Montreal, told him I was looking forward to Fez coming out. Shocking I know, but he was just a regular, nice dude.

Anthony Daniels (C3-PO) is kind of into himself, but an utterly sweet guy. Told great stories about "George" and how production went on all 6 movies. On his birthday, being away from home, he bought a small cake to celebrate and we all sang him happy birthday and ate cake.

Edit: On the same internship I actually got a bad reputation as a chauffeur from a number of retired/current NFL players. First time I drove I clipped the sidewalk getting out of the hotel parking lot, hahaha.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Hey, I actually worked in small films with semi-famous people like Jonah Hill & Seth Rogen if that counts. o_O

Jonah Hill and Seth Rogan shot scenes for BangBros?

Rydeen

Cool thread.

I'm sure I'll forget people but off the top of my head:

Charlton Heston. I was 8 or 9 and had only seen Planet of the Apes and a little bit of Ten Commandments at that point. It was at a talk at a local university my dad took me to. He seemed impressed that I knew who he was and didn't fall asleep while giving the lecture.

Stephen King: Bumped into him at Disneyland of all places as I was walking up to get on the Railroad from Tomorrowland. Seemed to be in a rush like he was looking for somebody, I freaked out.

Stan Lee: This one I'll never forget. It was at Comic-Con San Diego in 2007, and I was at the Marriot bar meeting up with some friends. I was about to leave, and who comes up the spiral staircase to the lobby? None other than Stan Lee, excitedly talking to a entourage of Asian women. I start scrambling, thinking of something to say as he walks by. I blurted out "Hey Stan, Excelsior!", he turned to me, and in that perfect Stan Lee way exclaims "Excelsior! Yes! Thank you!" I'll never forget that.

Due to work I've met a few celebrities. Bumped into Dave Grohl, talked to British film critic Mark Kermode a little bit, he was very cordial. Chatted a bit with Bob Newhart, he seemed nice and quiet, but his handler people were annoying, loud douchebags. I felt bad for Bob.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
This years IFTA's were a complete clusterfuck. The hosts were terrible and as funny as bad dose of haemorrhoids.

Haha, yeah, I remember reading similar comments earlier in the year.

I only went this year because Mike was nominated for best supporting actor for 12 years a slave (which he won). After the actual show was over (and we finally go some food), we didn't even stay for the after party, we just went up to Mike's room, and drank there, about 8 of us in total.

The last time before that we hung out at the IFTA's was when he won best actor for Shame, we partied hard in the DCC, and then moved on to the VIP section (the private bar upstairs) of Lillies (if you're from Ireland or Dublin you will know of this place) and then on to the Dylan Hotel where he was staying and drank their till 8am, we only stopped because he had a flight at 12 to London for the BAFTA's and he wanted to go have a shower and change his clothes.

When I met him earlier this year at the Xmen DOFP Premier in London (my ticket) the first thing he said was how this party was going to be way better then the IFTA's. We drank until about 2am, Mike was flying to Moscow the next morning.

That's awesome.

Was about to post this. There will be blood.

I'm not that deranged. Uh, I mean, I'm not deranged at all! Yeah. That. ;)

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Met Peter Dinklage (got a photo with him) and seen a few other GOT actors. They lived across the street from me whilst filming in Belfast.

TomPUH

Met Mr Hudson once, one of two lads in the entire crowd (who was clearly there because his girlfriend dragged him along too) while he did a question and answer thing. Can't really remember much of the encounter I was still shaking off the train ride to Birmingham.

CloudWolf

I once met the singer from The Temper Trap in a club. He came up to me before the show asking if I had seen a bag lying around. Apparently he had left it at the bench I was sitting on.

Fun fact: They were pretty much completely unknown back then (500 Days of Summer came out about a month later and skyrocketed them), so they were the opening act that evening. Needless to say, my mind was blown when that same guy that lost his bag walked on stage five minutes later.

bengraven

I once met the singer from The Temper Trap in a club. He came up to me before the show asking if I had seen a bag lying around. Apparently he had left it at the bench I was sitting on.

Fun fact: They were pretty much completely unknown back then (500 Days of Summer came out about a month later and skyrocketed them), so they were the opening act that evening. Needless to say, my mind was blown when that same guy that lost his bag walked on stage five minutes later.

Fucking love these guys, but no one I know has any idea who they are still.

jesu

Lots of musicians before and after concerts I've been to or at festivals.

Ian Brown, John Squire, Mani, Jason Pierce, Damo Suzuki, Zoot Money, they might be the most famous ones.

Matriox

I mean not really celebritys as in main screen television or movies or anything, but I've met the members of Cloud Cult and Patrick Rothfuss. Cloud Cult was from a concert and they are pretty amazing, Rothfuss was when I was walking around the city and he was in town for a convention (Origins in Columbus OH.), I was like "OH Shit.. Its Patrick Rothfuss". All he said was Yep! and walked off to do his thing.

KHlover

Banned
Nope, but a few people around me did :(

My mom used to be friends with the lead singer of Fools Garden at school and they still get along excellent whenever they see each other (which seems to be every ~2 years with an astounding accuracy, considering they don't keep contact at all).

Regina Halmich is the aunt of a girl that was in the same Kindergarten as I was.

Nope, but a few people around me did :(

My mom used to be friends with the lead singer of Fools Garden at school and they still get along excellent whenever they see each other (which seems to be every ~2 years with an astounding accuracy, considering they don't keep contact at all).

Regina Halmich is the aunt of a girl that was in the same Kindergarten as I was.

I hate fools garden with a passion...

Ive met some soccer players in cologne and some rather regional celebrities, but nothing special. I guess I once saw David Hasselhoff on a german autobahn riding KITT (Not kidding he was in a town nearby for somekind of music gathering and they got him a KITT replica...)

One of the greatest weeks of my life was last year. John Landis was here in Melbourne for a retrospective of his incredible body of work. The final day culminated in Landis showing his personal original copy of Thriller. Looked simply breath taking. I'll never forget it.
After that screening we were all allowed to get items signed and then were told to move on because "Mr Landis needs to go to other engagements". Well, that's what the people setting up told us but they never told Landis that. He was so talkative. So friendly. So generous of his time. I got a poster of An American Werewolf In London signed and also my DVD copy of Amazon Women On The Moon! He was quite amused that I had the Amazon Women DVD and he was happy it was up my alley in terms of humour. Then to top it off, I asked if I was able to take a photo, which he was more than happy to do and I got a couple of happy snaps with the great man! Greatest day of my life. He was all I'd imagine he'd be, and more!

That's great! I know those dudes, nice guys.

KHlover

Banned
I hate fools garden with a passion...

Ive met some soccer players in cologne and some rather regional celebrities, but nothing special. I guess I once saw David Hasselhoff on a german autobahn riding KITT (Not kidding he was in a town nearby for somekind of music gathering and they got him a KITT replica...)

You can only hear Lemon Tree so many times before it starts to get really annoying really fast, so I think I agree with you :p

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I was hanging out at Bar Marmont about a year ago and I was trying to get change for the meter where I parked my car. I went all over the place and nowhere had quarters. I ended up going to the hotel valet and they didn't have quarters. But a nice guy gave me a dollar in quarters and said no when I handed him a $1 bill. That nice guy turned out to be Keanu Reeves.

Here is my list of celebrities met:

Jeff Brazier (TV presenter)

Now the wrestlers;
Mick Foley
Terry Funk
CM Punk
Alex Shane
Blue Meanie
Sandman
Raven
Steve Corino
Austin Aries