• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever played a sequel to a game, but not the originals?

Have you ever played a sequel to a game, but not the originals?

• Total voters

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I hope the title/question makes sense...

But after running through Fallout 3, I remember that there were a bunch of folks there that were interested in the game, but never played the originals, or commented that they ended up playing and loving the game without playing the originals since they don't play PC games.

So my question is, have you guys picked up a sequel to a game without ever playing any of the original games in the series? Like play Fallout 3 but not Fallout 1/2?

And if so, have you had enough interest to go back and play any of the older games? I can't think of any of mine, but I had been interested in Devil May Cry 4, but had never played the older ones and felt like I would be missing out.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
FSu10Gh.png

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.

Laptop1991

Fallout 3 and New Vegas was my first Fallout's, never played 1 or 2, if that count's.
And Battlezone 1 and 2 in the 90's, it was an 80's game apparently that got remade,
Also Return to Castle Wolfenstein, i never played Wolfenstein 3d either.

Last edited:

Dacvak

The more I thought about this post, the more I realized how many sequel games I’ve played without ever playing the original. I’m playing Lords of Thunder right now. Other notable ones for me are:

Ghouls n’ Ghosts, Streets of Rage 2, Baldur’s Gate 3, Diablo 2, Fallout 3, Earthbound, System Shock 2, Red Faction: Guerrilla, Nier: Automata, Blaster Master Zero, TMNT Shredder’s Revenge, Persona 5, any Fire Emblem, Civilization 3, StarCraft II, C&C Red Alert 2, Unreal Tournament, SimCity 2000, Borderlands 2, Elder Scrolls III, Tales of Symphonia (if you count that), Gran Turismo 2, Helldivers 2, and I’m sure there are a ton more.

Last edited:

Irobot82

Ultima - Started at 4 Quest of the Avator.
Final Fantasy - Started at 4 (2 US).
Fallout - Started at 3.
Mega Man - Started at 2.

Sorcerer

Anyone who says they played Persona 1 on ps1 in the 90s is a liar. Ain’t nobody outside Japan played that shit.
Raises hand!!!
I remember an EB employee warning me that it was garbage. That happened quite a lot at EB/Gamestop. I don't think I have an ever been in any other retail store where the employees actively discourage customers from buying the merchandise.
Edit:
I loved the game. As an avid rpg player anything that had a scenario outside of medieval dungeons was intriguing and a breath of fresh air. The only other one is this era I can recall was Parasite Eve.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Still have to play SMT I and II. Love their atmosphere and story but the combat is super broken. Hoping for a remaster, maybe some day. Same with Persona 1 and both 2.

Also skipped Baldur's Gate since the constant wilderness and low level stuff was quite boring. Jumped straight into Baldur's Gate 2 and man, that game's just so much better.

Never played Dragon Quest I either, but I want to. Heard it's pretty short, so it might be a good weekend game.

Also never touched The Elder Scrolls: Arena, and don't think I ever will.

Can't think of any more.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
I played and finished the Witcher 3. Despite not playing the first 2.

There's a whole bunch of dragon quest games I haven't played . Hey square enix how about a dq pixel remaster collection like final fantasy?

Topher

Gold Member
Literally finished Hellblade 2 less than an hour ago and never played the first one.

Good timing.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Played and finished dragon age origins, took a look at dragon age 2 and it didn’t impress me at the time, playing Inquisition now and it’s spectacular.

dragon age logo GIF

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES) was my first game in the series.
Elders Scroll IV: Oblivion - even though i never finished it.

just recently bought The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt complete edition (switch) but it's unplayable on switch lite due to font being an ant size reading. Still haven't bought 1 and 2 yet though.

Pelao

Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver, Duke Nukem 3D, Grand Theft Auto III, Nier Automata, and I'm sure a shit ton of other games, so yeah, I sure have.

T8SC

Games I played without playing any previous titles:

• Final Fantasy VII
  • Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
  • Mass Effect 2
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Twisted Metal 2: World Tour
  • Dragon Quest IX
  • Shadow Of The Beast II
  • Tekken 2
  • Street Fighter 2

Robb

Gold Member
Yeah, loads. If I enjoy it I’ll definitely be enticed to check out the prequels. But it depends a lot on how far back the series goes. Like, with Fallout the first game is top-down etc. (I.e. very different from the sequels) so I’d skip that completely since I already know I wouldn’t enjoy something like that.

Dazraell

Gold Member
I try to play earlier games, but it honestly depends from the series. The ones that I can think of right now is Persona 5, TES III: Morrowind, Heroes of Might and Magic III, Metal Gear Solid 3, Final Fantasy VII and Luigi's Mansion 3. A few of these franchises I would like to eventually play some of the older entries, but they are on my constantly growing backlog lol

Nice thread :).

I've done it a few times. I didn't get into Castlevania, until Castlevania IV on the SNES the same goes for Metroid where I didn't get into Metroid until Super Metroid on the SNES. I didn't into Street Fighter until SF2 in the arcades

Yep to both Fallout 3 and Oblivion.
Also, started Witcher 1 way back when it first came out and could not get into it. Witcher 2 however, played the shit out of it on the 360.

Fredrik

Oblivion was my first The Elder Scrolls
Fallout 2 was the first Fallout
Zelda A Link to the Past
Super Metroid
Super Castlevania IV
Super Mario Bros 2
Final Fantasy 7
Red Dead Redemption 2
The Witcher 3
Assassin’s Creed Black Flag
Diablo 3
Forza Motorsport 4
Forza Horizon 2
Battlefield 1
…among others

xrnzaaas

Morrowind was my first TES game.
Persona 5 was my first Persona game.
Risen 3 despite not playing 1 or 2 (although it still plays like every other Piranha Bytes game)
Sniper Elite 3 (I have V2 in my backlog and planning to play it)

Generally nothing big. If I still keep playing games from the same series chances are I know how it started. If it's a new series for me I try to discover it from the beginning unless the first game is super old and super outdated.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

I've started plenty of games that are sequels without playing the previous games. I've found it tends to be where playing the previous games isn't as important to the story. For example Auper Mario World, A Link to the Past, Final Fantasy 7, Diablo 3 etc.

If it's a game where the continuation of the story is a focus then I'll try my best to play the whole series.

Top Bottom