• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever played a sequel to a game, but not the originals?

Have you ever played a sequel to a game, but not the originals?

• Total voters

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Off the top of my head:

.Hack//G.U. Last Recode
Age of Empires IV
Back 4 Blood
Baldur's Gate III
Batman: Arkham Origins
Chrono Cross
Civilization VI
Dark Souls II
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Diablo II
Doom Eternal
Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot
Dragon Quest XI
Drakengard III
Fallout 4
Far cry 3
Forza Horizon 5
Granblue Fantasy Relink
Grand Theft Auto III
Helldivers II
Jet Moto 3
Metal Gear Solid
Moster Hunter World
Rage 2
Red Dead Redemption 2
Resident Evil 4
Soul Caliber VI
Star Ocean: The Second Story
Suikoden III
Tales of Legendia
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Breakpoint
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist
Tomb Raider (reboot)
Total War: Three Kingdoms
Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection
Y's VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana

Last edited:

Paasei

Too many to mention I think. I'll list some.
- Assassin's Creed 2
- Elder Scrolls Morrowind
- Fallout 2
- Sniper Elite V2
- Devil May Cry (forgot which one I started, but definitely not part 1)
- Metal Gear Solid V
- The Witcher 3
- Warcraft 3
- Age of Empires 2
- Spider-Man 2 (the PS2 game)
- Dead Space 2
- Mass Effect 2

There's plenty more, but I cba anymore.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Baldur's Gate 3, Dishonored II (I played the first right after finishing it as I loved it), Dragon's Dogma 2 and many more I don't remember right now.

Mass Effect 2
tumblr_mkc0mcQTWn1s8l1q4o1_500.gif

Last edited:
For those mentioning not having started with Final Fantasy 1, I don't think it counts because they are not sequels per se. I think having played Final Fantasy X-2 without having played Final Fantasy X would count though.

JCK75

I think this is going to apply to almost everybody who got on board with Grand theft Auto 3... Or anyone who is not a PC gamer that has played a Witcher, elder scrolls or fallout game

GriffinCorp

Played and loved Uncharted 4 but never played any of the others. Everyone said the 4 was the best and it was an incredible experience.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Aenima

Persona. Started with Persona 3, never played the 1st 2
Final Fantasy. Started with FF7, played FF6 later but still havent played the 1st 5 main games.
Diablo. Started with Diablo 3, never played the 1st 2
Fallout. Started with FO3, never played the 1st 2.

And many more, but most are just numbered entries in the franshise with self contained stories, so playing the previous games dont add much to the experience.

Ulysses 31

Fallout 3
Persona 5
Diablo 2
WarCraft III
The Goonies II
Fire Emblem 3DS
Contra III
Atelier Rorona DX
Heroes of Might and Magic III
Super Smash Bros. for WiiU
Fatal Frame Maiden of Black Water
Silent Hill 2

Alan Wake

Lots. I sometimes wonder how it impacted my feelings for the sequel, but most of the games I can think of I really liked to apparently it didn't hurt to skip the original in those instances.

Among others:
The Witcher III
Red Dead Redemption II
Gears of War 4 (played 4, 5 and then 1, 2, 3)
Virtua Fighter 2
Titanfall 2
Forza Horizon 3

The best outcome is when the sequel makes you curious about the original. Gears definitely had that effect on me.

Last edited:

Roberts

Can't think of that many, especially sequels that I started and bothered to finish.

I didn't play Forza Horizon 1 until After 3.
Nier Automata is the only one that springs to mind atm.

Synless

No, not if they are a directly connected sequel.

Yes if they are self contained stories not linked to others in the series (TES, Fallout, GTA, etc.)

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Like 99% of people playing games. You don't need to go back and play Hitman 1. Trust me, I did.

Dragon Quest XI.
Final Fantasy 6, 7, 8, 10, 14, 15, 16.
The Witcher 2 and 3.
Metal Gear: Solid, Sons of Liberty, Snake Eater, Guns of the Patriots, The Phantom Pain.
Diablo 2, 3, 4.

^^ There's definitely more, these are off the top of my head.

Alpha Male

Elder Scrolls Skyrim
Homeworld 3
Far Cry 3
Grand Theft Auto 4
Watch Dogs 2
Fallout 4
Total War Medieval 2 & Warhammer 2
Metal Gear Solid V
Dragon Age Inquisition
Borderlands 2
Sniper Elite 4
Age of Wonders Planetfall
Forza Motorsport 7
Battlefield Bad Company 2
Baldurs Gate 3
Witcher 3
Metro Exodus
Age of Empires 4
The Crew 2

marquimvfs

Oldest I can remember is Duke Nukem, 3D is the first and the oldest I've played. TES, I started with Daggerfall, Street Fighter I started at II. Cannot remember others, but for sure there's more.
Ah, there's also the situation were I played the first entry of a series after newer entries, like Metroid, Super Mario, Final Fantasy, Mega Man, Streets of Rage, Shining Force, and the list goes on and on.

Last edited:

Type_Raver

Uncharted 2 and 3, but never played the original.
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and 3, but did play through XC DE on switch later on but have not finished it.
King of Fighters, started playing it from 96, never dropped a coin in for '94.

First post nailed it! Same here with Street fighter 2.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Off the top of my head, I started the Persona series with 4 Golden for the Vita (which means life). Oh Disgea as well, I think I started with 3.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Mario 3 was my first mario game. Thats as far as I can remember.. but surely I played several sequels to older games

Monokrom

Final Fantasy VII - First game in that series that was released here in Europe.
Phantasy Star II - I never had the Master System.
Dragon Quest XI - Just never got around to try the earlier games.

Mass Effect 2 when it came out for the PS3.

Later bought a cheap, barely functioning 360 so I could go back and play the original (which is really not that good in my opinion)

Astral Dog

When it comes to old series im a fan of, i have played lots of titles but have very little interest in going through the first iteration(s), because as game design and consoles advanced, the first games were essentially 'replaced' by more advanced reimaginings, and i don't care for 8bit graphics and controls

For example:

The original Zelda ---> A Link to the past
Super Mario Bros ---> Super Mario Bros 3(then All Stars)
Metroid---->Super Metroid
Castlevania ---->Castlevania 3/Super Castlevania
etc.

Seider

First time i did that... playing Last Ninja 2 on Commodore 64 with no knowledge of the first game.

And it was awesome.

Roberts

FH3 was my first one.
How did you like FH1? I've never really considered picking it up.

While I don’t necessarily agree, a lot of people consider it to be the best one and I think I understand the sentiment. Compared to later entries it is super tidy - there is a limited amount of events and races so at one point you get the satisfaction of finishing the game to a point where there is nothing else to do. I played it through BC so in 4K it still looks pretty good albeit only in 30fps. I think it is worth a try.

CashPrizes

I try to always play the originals.
I started with FF4 and have never beaten the first 3.
Started with Phantasy Star II and never played 1.
But yeah most of my favorite series, Contra, Castlevania, Metal Gear, Mega Man, Secret of Mana, Baldurs Gate, Fallout, Witcher, Last of Us, Mass Effect, all Blizzard Games, I started with the first ones and beat (most of) them in sequence as they came out.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Loved this as a kid I had no idea "Loaded" existed for some reason until very recently lol

Re-Loaded_DOS_Cover_Art.jpg

Top Bottom