• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever played a sequel to a game, but not the originals?

Have you ever played a sequel to a game, but not the originals?

• Total voters

Kokoro2020

I can only think of a few examples off the top of my head:

I've played many GTA games, but not the first one.

I've never played the first Guitar Hero game, but played most of the others.

I've played Splatoon 2 and 3, but not original..

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
Actually just sequels that had nothing to do with the predecessors in terms of plot. For example, I started with Final Fantasy VIII or GTA III and then caught up on the “classics” later.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Baldur's Gate III
Sad Gordon Ramsay GIF by Hell's Kitchen

Fallout 3 and New Vegas was my first Fallout's, never played 1 or 2, if that count's.
Cringe Wince GIF

The Witcher started at 3.
Elder Scrolls started at Skyrim.
Metro Exodus and Witcher 3, two of the best games i have ever played in recent years, but never played the prequels.
Dragon Age Inquisition
Spit Out Peoples Choice Awards GIF by NBC

Witcher 3 and MGS4 come to mind. Wasn't a huge success in my book. Without the proper context, these story-driven games just don't hit the way they should. Many series like Final Fantasy, Persona, TES etc. are more standalone in terms of their story, so it's not as much an issue there.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Started Resident Evil at part 4 as I hated the controls on the first three games..

First Final Fantasy I played was 7 since I was mainly a PC gamer in the 90s and a home computer gamer in the 80s. Same with Dragon Quest where I started with 8.

I'm sure there's plenty more examples.

Sentenza

Christ, I know I'm getting old, but I just realized that I started with the first of MOST of the old series that are being mentioned here.

Witcher, Elder Scroll, Fallout, Mario, Zelda, Assassin's Creed, Battlefield, Street Fighter, Tekken, Resident Evil, Diablo, Metro, Dragon Age, GTA, etc, etc.

Back to the topic: "never played an Ultima before the fourth" (I just know their plot by summary) and "never played a Final Fantasy before the sixth" are the two first examples that come to mind.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Christ, I know I'm getting old, but I just realized that I started with the first of MOST of the old series that are being mentioned here.

Witcher, Elder Scroll, Fallout, Mario, Zelda, Assassin's Creed, Battlefield, Street Fighter, Tekken, Resident Evil, Diablo, Metro, Dragon Age, GTA, etc, etc.
Nbc I Gotchu GIF by Sunnyside

Laptop1991

LOL, Black Isle Zealot detected, you must have been on the Bethesda forums 10+ years ago, what a happy bunch you are lol, I will always prefer 1st and 3rd person over isometric view and came to Fallout through Bethesda, i was playing first person shooters in the 90's on Voodoo graphics card not Fallout, and i know you don't like it, you never have lol.

Top Bottom