• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you gone off the Resident Evil series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

molasar

Banned
The only ones I care about are RE 1-3 and REmake (still prefer the original one). The others could be called 'Barbie and Ken's Adventures in Wonderland' as far as I am concerned except RE4 and RE2 Remake as they are good action games.

Last edited:

EDMIX

No? For the first time since 2005 it's not absolute dog shit, re7 and especially re2 brought this series back from the dead.

This.

I only care about the RE concept in terms of limited health, ammo, puzzle solving etc. When RE7 brought that back, I was in and will keep buying if they keep the concept intact. I don't mind the normal mode removing those features, so long as they have a hardcore mode for classic fans, I'm in.

Never cared for the story and won't pretend it even remotely makes any sense or is good to pretend I play it for that lol

At some point Rebecca doesn't remember fighting zombies and Chris Redfield is fighting in a volcano.... this isn't the series to really care that deeply about its story lol

I also like Evil Within 1 and 2 as well. I think OP's issues are a bit silly and Capcom isn't going to stop this series as they are a business and their goal is clearly to make money. The point of Capcom doing it to make money just makes so little sense, its like.....well yes, that is what the majority of this industry is. It is still a business and such is a moot point. So I don't care about their reasons for making RE7 or RE2 remake, I only care that what they made aligns with my wants with survival horror and the series.

That is all anyone can ask for.

Capcom making it to not make money wouldn't suddenly make this user like Resident Evil out of the blue or something so I'm not sure its relevance.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I played all through 5, skipped 6 and jumped back in for 7 in VR on PlayStation. Honestly, I’m done. I think it’s time for them to give the series a rest.

I understand why RE5 went full action, it makes sense in the story progression, but I’ve just become a bit bored of the story and setting.

ethomaz

Banned
I played everyone except the new REmake.
Loved some, hated others and was tied with the rest.

Overall the first Resident Evil still continue being the best one imo... it atmosphere and tension are even superior at the REmake... so it is my favorite and the one I played the most.

Said that RE7 is a big surprise... it is probably in my TOP3 RE... it shares a lot of what made original the best.

Controversial... RE4 is the most boring RE I ever played... you need to understand you will feel asleep playing it... it is way superior to RE5 and RE6 in every sense but it is more boring than these... these three RE were not what I expected from RE games too.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

I'm waiting for the return to the RE4/RE5 style of things. The series seems to fluctuate in terms of focus.

Arachnid

No? For the first time since 2005 it's not absolute dog shit, re7 and especially re2 brought this series back from the dead.
Agreed. RE is in a good spot now.

Do I miss the older games and their unique style of gameplay? Definitely, but if they didn't evolve with RE4, 7, and 2make this series would be even more dead than Silent Hill. OG Silent Hills were similar to OG REs but superior in a lot of areas, and even they couldn't survive. IMO RE is lucky it managed to evolve and stay a horror powerhouse. The fact that we got RPD Leon and Claire in 4k Raccoon City and in 2019 still blows my mind. I'd KILL for some of my favorite dead game franchises to get similar treatment.

Geki-D

Banned
Why is this Azurro guy flaming folk on here? Who is this person even referring to anyway? I assume it's a guy.
What he said is perfectly valid. Your complaints tend to be childish, poorly constructed and all based around your own fanboyish idea of a game in your head you want Capcom to make.

Don't pretend you haven't heard this before. I know you've been banned from the majority of RE fansites to ever grace the internet.

Dude, just be quiet. Tons of users in this thread and others, have said how they feel about the franchise or the genre. That's their very own views. They're entitled to say whatever they feel needs to be addressed, as a fan should. That's why forums like this exist. If nobody was entitled to express an opinion, there would be no point in forums like this even being around.

JimmyJones

Banned
there's nothing lazy about the incredible detail and skill they put into the RE2 remake and it will remain a goto example on how any developer should remake any property.

The RE1 remake is a goto example on how to remake a game and improve on it in nearly every way.

The RE2 remake is a goto example on how to casualise a beloved game for a new audience.

I'm waiting for the return to the RE4/RE5 style of things. The series seems to fluctuate in terms of focus.

The RE2 remake is more like RE4/5 than the original RE games.

Last edited:
By the way, nowhere in this thread did I say that anyone sucks for liking the newer variety of games, even if I am an old-school purist. I believe in the policy of free speech. If they think the old games are awful now, then that too is just their own take on what games they choose to play. Maybe I won't agree with that part of their statements at all, but hey. People have a voice and they want to use theirs to express how they feel, which is acceptable.

This is a trend that really ought to continue across other forums too, as well as on YouTube. Users don't always agree, but that's life. The minute certain members outright flame others and do that because they think Capcom is doing a fine job, it just proves they're sour over something silly. Not naming anyone, of course. But I know on YouTube, it has occurred with the likes of Nemesis and Renegade Operative.

To the rest of you: I may not like what Capcom is doing right now, but that doesn't mean I'm not an optimistic guy when it comes to what we can see in future titles. I'm able to post how I feel as a fan of over 20 years, but I force this stuff on no one.

Maybe they will, you know? Perhaps they will prove me wrong. It has nothing to do with nostalgia whatsoever. But when a series has gone on for so long, it has to maintain a reputation.

New horror games can still be just as good, if not better, than older types of horror games. I know some recent examples that I think have gained their own legacy, despite being from this era as opposed to the classic period from 1996 to 2004. That era is truly dead now, however. It isn't right to compare them. Trends change, unfortunately. But companies are still working hard at it.

I'm not sure where some folk get off saying things about me because I posted what I like or don't like about a long term franchise, that has had its ups and downs for years now. So all the others who posted their opinion pieces, they must be creating e-pollution too. Am I right?

This.

I only care about the RE concept in terms of limited health, ammo, puzzle solving etc. When RE7 brought that back, I was in and will keep buying if they keep the concept intact. I don't mind the normal mode removing those features, so long as they have a hardcore mode for classic fans, I'm in.

Never cared for the story and won't pretend it even remotely makes any sense or is good to pretend I play it for that lol

At some point Rebecca doesn't remember fighting zombies and Chris Redfield is fighting in a volcano.... this isn't the series to really care that deeply about its story lol

I also like Evil Within 1 and 2 as well. I think OP's issues are a bit silly and Capcom isn't going to stop this series as they are a business and their goal is clearly to make money. The point of Capcom doing it to make money just makes so little sense, its like.....well yes, that is what the majority of this industry is. It is still a business and such is a moot point. So I don't care about their reasons for making RE7 or RE2 remake, I only care that what they made aligns with my wants with survival horror and the series.

That is all anyone can ask for.

Capcom making it to not make money wouldn't suddenly make this user like Resident Evil out of the blue or something so I'm not sure its relevance.

Um, okay. But you do know that if Chris fought Wesker around lava, that was all on Capcom. They proceeded to add all that sort of stupid stuff in not just that game, but several other sequels, arguably because they ran out of ideas and they just milked it, because they assumed a fight in an alarming environment like a volcano would get people worked up, and because it is still part of a major series, despite the change in style.

That's what they did, essentially. You praise Capcom, yet you forget it was them that made all this ridiculous stuff become our reality. So if you don't like that, you can only point the finger at the development teams.

They had built up a pretty compelling story up to the point of Code Veronica, but then it gradually started going downhill from there.

The biggest failure was there was never really a satisfying ultimate confrontation with Umbrella, we're just told in 4's prologue that they simply went out of business and it moves on to an unrelated story, Capcom did eventually expound on it but it was through a light gun game of all things.

I still wish we got the original version of 4 which would have had Leon infiltrating Spencer castle, learning the origins of the T-Virus and defeating Wesker, that would have been a good clean break for the series to start an all new story arc, rather than the muddled mess of 4, 5 and 6.

They lost me after RE4 (outside of REmake, and RE2Make and RE7), even though RE4 was a great game, it wasn't as great as the style of the older ones. RE5 I also played and its big redeeming feature was the co-op mode, which me and my buddy played for hours. I did like RE7, although it was different. And RE2Make felt more back to form.

Drake

the REMAKE got me back on the series. That game is what all modern resident evils should be. What a fucking amazing game that was.

What he said is perfectly valid. Your complaints tend to be childish, poorly constructed and all based around your own fanboyish idea of a game in your head you want Capcom to make.

Don't pretend you haven't heard this before. I know you've been banned from the majority of RE fansites to ever grace the internet.

Well, there's no point in arguing about that either. But those forums you bring up are full of assholes, so maybe that was the reason. It's not like I go out of my way to bother people over all of that pettiness.

I'm not sure what any of that has to do with this topic, unless you were a member of any of those sites, and know me from there. But it's off topic.

EDMIX

Um, okay. But you do know that if Chris fought Wesker around lava, that was all on Capcom. They proceeded to add all that sort of stupid stuff in not just that game, but several other sequels, arguably because they ran out of ideas and they just milked it, because they assumed a fight in an alarming environment like a volcano would get people worked up, and because it is still part of a major series, despite the change in style.

That's what they did, essentially. You praise Capcom, yet you forget it was them that made all this ridiculous stuff become our reality. So if you don't like that, you can only point the finger at the development teams.

I know it was Capcom, its why I brought it up. I don't know why you didn't read my whole post either....

"Never cared for the story and won't pretend it even remotely makes any sense or is good to pretend I play it for that"

As in...I never cared for the story, its not good....I DON'T PLAY THE SERIES FOR THAT.

I would not class these games as ones you play for fun, but again, if that's how you feel, I'm okay with it. But to me, the story means a lot. The characters in franchises should endear us, but I think Capcom is probably going to use them less, or just make them the clean-up crew, like how they treated Chris in the last one.

EDMIX

They had built up a pretty compelling story up to the point of Code Veronica, but then it gradually started going downhill from there.

The biggest failure was there was never really a satisfying ultimate confrontation with Umbrella, we're just told in 4's prologue that they simply went out of business and it moves on to an unrelated story, Capcom did eventually expound on it but it was through a light gun game of all things.

I still wish we got the original version of 4 which would have had Leon infiltrating Spencer castle, learning the origins of the T-Virus and defeating Wesker, that would have been a good clean break for the series to start an all new story arc, rather than the muddled mess of 4, 5 and 6.

"They had built up a pretty compelling story up to the point of Code Veronica, but then it gradually started going downhill from there."

Agreed and agreed. I feel most RE fans ultimately agree that after CV is where things just go insane lol

Resident Evil 4 is an amazing action game, but that is the start of the series just going to a waaaay different direction.
Getting rid of zombies, getting rid of limited saves, ammo, health etc.
The story is soooooo bad, it doesn't just make Leon some officer, but the man works for secret service protecting The President....seriously folks, come on now lol I could deal with the weird things in the series, but 4 was the breaking point where I realized I couldn't play that series for its story and couldn't any more if I was looking for that classic gameplay of the original series. So 4 and 5 are great action games, but I didn't buy 6 cause if its not going to be limited saves, ammo, health and puzzles, i'm gone.

EDMIX

I would not class these games as ones you play for fun, but again, if that's how you feel, I'm okay with it. But to me, the story means a lot. The characters in franchises should endear us, but I think Capcom is probably going to use them less, or just make them the clean-up crew, like how they treated Chris in the last one.

"I would not class these games as ones you play for fun " ? Ummmm ok. So no one has no fun playing anything? You sure about that?

I don't play anything if its not for the concept of "fun" ie "what provides amusement or enjoyment". So I'm not sure why I would play something that provided me zero enjoyment.

" to me, the story means a lot " Thats nice. To you....

I'd argue most of us are playing the series to actually play it....not simply hear a story as someone that LOVES stories in games, The Resident Evil series has legit one of the worst stories and characters in gaming. So bad, to the point where I don't really recommend someone get into the series because of that. Other games just have better stories, settings, plots etc. They are iconic sure, but I don't see them any more then just that.

If RE6 is legit just a action game with removing the core concept of RE, I'm not buying. The story isn't good enough to change the whole concept and still have folks like it and buy it. Most still buy games for their core concept vs story. So you can't put RE in a RTS game and expect the majority to buy it.

You might, but you of all people should also know that most won't agree with you and most likely are not buying games to hear a story.

I read books for that fam.

"They had built up a pretty compelling story up to the point of Code Veronica, but then it gradually started going downhill from there."

Agreed and agreed. I feel most RE fans ultimately agree that after CV is where things just go insane lol

Resident Evil 4 is an amazing action game, but that is the start of the series just going to a waaaay different direction.
Getting rid of zombies, getting rid of limited saves, ammo, health etc.
The story is soooooo bad, it doesn't just make Leon some officer, but the man works for secret service protecting The President....seriously folks, come on now lol I could deal with the weird things in the series, but 4 was the breaking point where I realized I couldn't play that series for its story and couldn't any more if I was looking for that classic gameplay of the original series. So 4 and 5 are great action games, but I didn't buy 6 cause if its not going to be limited saves, ammo, health and puzzles, i'm gone.

I enjoy 4's cheesy story for what it is and enjoy it as a game for what it is, but it's neither a very good Resident Evil game nor a good RE story.

I mean to just jump into an unrelated story that only teases a connection to the rest after 4 years of people waiting for a follow up to CV was just dumb.

The story elements that were there weren't bad, the parasite thing was creepy, the whole idea of a creepy cult out in the middle of nowhere, it was fine, but it had nothing to do with what was built up to that point, it would have been cool if it was an all new series like how Devil May Cry was spun off from RE.

It was easy to overlook the game's flaws when the game was new because it was such an impressive technical achievement, but as the game has aged and the luster has worn of it's graphics it's only made it's flaws more apparent.

The series having a cheesy story is no doubt on purpose, because I think the series was originally meant to be an homage to low budget zombie films. And I don't think even Shinji Mikami knew how huge the series would become, but sometimes stuff that gets to be too popular, can be a victim of its own success. That has been shown.

Anyway, I will give you lot some credit. At least you guys are more sane than this other creep I know. There's this guy in New Zealand who stalks me online, and he uses stupid pseudonyms like Stain, My Garage Sale and Gimpy. Lately, he has been posting images of coprophilia at acyberlove.com, because the stupid owner left it with no moderators, so there is nobody else there who can ban his accounts and delete his spam, and if you Google the forum, you will see all the disgusting posts he made on there as recently as yesterday.

He also posted some stuff about my friend, then sent people to his door somehow, and made fun of my sister's partner for ending his life 2 years ago. Among other insults. Now, how is that a nice thing to do to some guy you don't even know, over a video game debate? Nothing justifies anyone being an asshole towards someone they've never even met, just over a petty online grudge, that is probably from like, well over 10 years ago by this point.

This is the forum here.

http://www.acyberlove.com/showthread.php?t=132309

Also, I had people making videos about me too, because I stuck up for a guy who calls himself Nemesis. They will try to say I am the bad guy, because I made one solitary 9/11 reference, but these guys have no room to talk regarding copyright. But that's their business. It's not really right though to talk about others supposedly abusing copyright, when they steal people's videos and post them back on YouTube without the permission of the owners.

Whether you agree with someone or not, isn't that big of a deal. But bullying others over it, sets a bad example. So it's not advisable that anyone do that, because it makes you look bad. Furthermore, the guys who were doing it were eventually doxxed, so they started acting like it was "old drama" in order to camouflage their antics, and they even tried to get rid of evidence by deleting the videos about Nemesis. Altough they retained the ones about myself, like this one here.

Lanrutcon

The RE2 remake is more like RE4/5 than the original RE games.

I have to disagree with you there, sir. Not one boulder gets punched. Not one enemy is a small fry.

So here's what's funny about the discussion: it used to be that RE fans were split into two groups. You had to oldschool survival horror bunch who hated RE4 onwards, and then you had to new crowd who saw RE4 for the brilliant masterpiece it is. Now there's a apparently a third group who think people that like RE2:R aren't hardcore enough?

"Oh, you like RE2:R like some kind of casual."

...what?

JimmyJones

Banned
I have to disagree with you there, sir. Not one boulder gets punched. Not one enemy is a small fry.

So here's what's funny about the discussion: it used to be that RE fans were split into two groups. You had to oldschool survival horror bunch who hated RE4 onwards, and then you had to new crowd who saw RE4 for the brilliant masterpiece it is. Now there's a apparently a third group who think people that like RE2:R aren't hardcore enough?

"Oh, you like RE2:R like some kind of casual."

...what?

The RE2 remake is a shitty mish mash of both styles.

If they wanted to make an over the shoulder game again they should have just done it with RE8 and made the RE2make the same way they made the RE1make.

Last edited:

klosos

If Capcom stay with the RE2 remake formula yes ill be back on the RE train , if they go to the more action , arcadey 5-6 then no , if they make another RE like 7 as well il be off the train ( sorry i thought RE 7 was garbage )

Lanrutcon

The RE2 remake is a shitty mish mash of both styles.

If they wanted to make an over the shoulder game again they should have just done it with RE8 and made the RE2make the same way they made the RE1make.

So, what would you like your subdivision of RE fandom called? The Shoulder Camera Activist Team?

I made a video response to all of this.

giphy.gif

DanielsM

Banned
I'm barely 2 hours into RE7. Too much first person sneaking around. Miss the old Silent Hill 2 days. (not saying its bad, just not my cup of tea all the sneaking around horror)... although the remake doesn't look like that.

Last edited:

-MD-

I don't really see what there is to complain about, the games are getting better as we go along.

5 sucked, 6 was beyond terrible, 7 was pretty good and RE2 is great. Capcom is learning, their last like 4 or 5 major releases are sitting in the high 8's or 9's on meta (deservedly so which isn't always the case) and have sold a shit load.

Unless of course you're a fan of 5, 6 or the mediocre Revelations series and you want more games in that style, in that case I don't really know what to tell you, I can't relate to that at all.

I’ve been playing the series since 1996. I love it, one of my favorites. Now, did I lose interest at some point? Yes! When Resi 6 hit, I hopped out. I was done. Tried the Revelations games for a bit but they weren’t for me either. Those were dark times...

Resident Evil 7 in VR restores my faith in the series. One of the best gaming experiences I’ve ever had. Resi 2 remake was stellar as well, I finished it eight times in two weeks.

Resi is back. You can nitpick all you want, but these are good games. I don’t know what you want. You can’t go back to the past. If you want old school resi, play old school resi. I revisit those old games all the time. Of course the overall story arc is a mess. Oh well...

Compared to any other 20+ year old game series, Resi is in a very healthy place right now, quality wise. Only others I can think of quickly are Mario and Zelda.

Geki-D

Banned
I made a video response to all of this.

-You have been banned from a lot of RE fansites, this is a fact. The idea that it's always them and not you is just silly. You really need to question your behaviour.

-"When Shinji Mikami left, they started all these shooting games and chickens laying egg and you sell stuff to a merchant. The tone of RE4 doesn't suite the franchise" Proof right here you have no idea what you're talking about; Shinji Mikami was the writer, director on RE4.

-You're not a "purist" you're a fanatic and your opinions suck You can have them but we're allowed to say they suck and when they're so poorly constructed we can do nothing but that.

-"The game's are a cash grab" Fun fact: YOU'RE WRONG! The best selling RE games in the franchise are 5 & 6, the most actiony. Capcom going to survival horror is purely to please fans because if they just wanted to make as much money as possible, they have pushed out another game just like their best selling ones.

-If forums are dead then stop using them? How many times are you meant to have "left the internet" now?

-"Other people are nitpicking": Dear lord, the irony here.

Here's the thing, RE1 is the ONLY RE with its own identity as it took heavy inspiration from Alone In the Dark.

From 2 on till Nemesis, and even Code Veronica, Resident Evil was ALWAYS trying to be a third-person shooter. Capcom at first didn't have the tech/skills to pull off an actual third-person shooter and instead used the Alone in the Dark formula for it instead. As you can see as a TPS style game the original tank controlling RE games haven't aged that well, but the first game was the ONE that didn't fully try to clearly go the TPS route, went with a bit more puzzle and explorations and creepiness since it was aiming to be like Alone in the Dark.

The irony about Alone in the Dark New Nightmare taking influence from RE2+ is that Alone in the Dark 2 was already heading in the shoot direction, which is one of the reasons why Alone in the Dark 2 got mixed reception. Hence why 3 focused more on Puzzles (that were insane which also infleunced some of the more crazy puzzles in RE2+)

Once they got to RE4 after finally catching up with 3D like other devs, they got what they were aiming for. Some RE fans were mad about the direction RE5 and RE6 went, yet they "wanted more 4" well those were "more 4" and RE5 is the best selling franchise because most people got what they wanted. "more 4". RE outside the first game was always trying to be a TPS and then people complained after they continued making TPS after RE4, a TP got critical acclaim and got called one of the best games made.

Alone in the Dark 2008 was misguided because they wanted to combine TPS with a but of old school Alone in the Dark formula which can't work. The reason why RE4-6 and some spin-off games worked was because RE was already mostly a TPS in the first place.

I bet the OP was also one of those guys that put RE4 on a pedestal and now is complaing about RE4's infleunce on RE and other companies horror games because he like many are hallucinating that older Resident Evil games weren't TPS games with horror elements. Sometimes with dumb obtuse puzzles.

mneuro

Resident evil lost me at 4. Contrary to popular opinion, I have always disliked RE4. I've purchased it multiple times giving it another chance, even recently on Xbox one, but I just feel it's a bad game. 5 was trash. 7 won me back, though. Can't wait to play RE2 remake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom