• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Haze Official Thread, JCBossman Memorial and Skittles Appreciation. BOOSH!

N30RYU

Gold Member
Haze dev responds to IGN review (maxconsoles)

Rob Yescombe of Free Radical has responded to IGN's 4.5/10 review score for Haze. "My thoughts are "Owch". No, wait - MEGAowch. Haze has had mixed reviews, but even GoldenEye got a 4/10 when it first came out. With a 9/10 in the Italian PSM, and an extremely positive review in Famitsu, we're looking forward to people playing Haze and making a judgment for themselves." said Rob

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
N30RYU said:
Haze Dev talk about IGN review (maxconsoles)

Rob Yescombe of Free Radical has responded to IGN's 4.5/10 review score for Haze. "My thoughts are "Owch". No, wait - MEGAowch. Haze has had mixed reviews, but even GoldenEye got a 4/10 when it first came out. With a 9/10 in the Italian PSM, and an extremely positive review in Famitsu, we're looking forward to people playing Haze and making a judgment for themselves." said Rob

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298309

sprocket

Banned
Brashnir said:
Total pixels: (difference in parentheses)

640x480 = 307,200 ( -282,624) NTSC Standard Definition

720x576 = 414,720 ( -175,104) Pal Standard Definition

1024x576 = 589,824 Haze's Resolution

1280x720 = 921,600 ( +331,776) 720p HD

seriously you people need to die.

sajj316

nib95 said:
Someone post that demo direct capture shot. It still looks great, and is definitely not close to a 4. I have a hard time believing it's glitchy enough to warrant that kind of score for visuals when other games have been worse and given a pass.

Here ya go ...

Me personally, GAF should just ban bullshots!

66w8pv.jpg

nib95

Banned
sajj316 said:
Here ya go ...

Me personally, GAF should just ban bullshots!

66w8pv.jpg

Exactly, now compare that to the Time crisis 4 shots. Like I said, IGN PS3 channel are losing touch. They complained about similar things with Uncharted, where the tinciest bit of screen tear and texture pop in (it occurs in the game rarely) got it a 9/10. Similar reasons for GT5P getting a 9/10 for visuals. Lord knows what would have happened if the IGN PS3 channel had to review Mass Effect.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Doc Evils said:
Who mentioned Halo?

Free Radical's script writer, Yescombe compared Haze to Halo in terms of maturity, going as far as to call Halo 3 "brilliant," but stating that Haze's story would deal with more serious, adult themes.

Online publications ran with leads like "Free Radical: "Halo 3 Is Child's Play" and "Haze: Like Halo 3, But For Adults."

FrankT

Doesn't suprise me Ubisoft embargoed the rest of the reviews in the EU until this weekend. I wonder when the rest of the US reviews will start rolling in.

Ryuuga said:
I wonder how AltogetherAndrews is taking this news.

It would be interesting to see his comments on it now.

Doc Evils

urk said:
Free Radical's script writer, Yescombe compared Haze to Halo in terms of maturity, going as far as to call Halo 3 "brilliant," but stating that Haze's story would deal with more serious, adult themes.

Online publications ran with leads like "Free Radical: "Halo 3 Is Child's Play" and "Haze: Like Halo 3, But For Adults."

Silly thing to do. :/

sajj316

N30RYU said:
surely you all have alredy seen the video with the Haze graphics issues... in the final release.

If not... here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20OnIZZ3aVc

With this video, i don't need any more reviews whatever famitsu said... I'm not gonna buy it to shorten the wait for MGS4.

Thanks for the link!

4 GB install and still textures pop-in and out based on proximity? I hope thats not the final release .... I stress hope because if so ... that is VERY poor.

besada

Banned
Doc Evils said:

The Haze marketing campaign has been the epitome of "silly thing to do" pretty much from the beginning. You've got Yescombe hyping his own writing to the heavens and namechecking Halo, Korn, Ubisoft's "when will it release" game, Ubisoft's "is it an exclusive" game, etc.

pn18

Banned
nib95 said:
Exactly, now compare that to the Time crisis 4 shots.
Ok, let's compare a multi-million budget AAA(?) title with a port of an arcade game.
This thread finally delivers.

methane47

Doc Evils said:

especially considering the collective hard-on that the gaming press has for it.. Anyways... That was the beginning of the end for them... I never thought that Haze would have gotten a fair shake... But doesn't matter too much for me since I never intended to buy it.

Lord knows what would have happened if the IGN PS3 channel had to review Mass Effect.

probably right on this one. Seems to me like graphics of a ps3 game have super lofty expectations.. which is understandable.... but because of that... reviewers penalize the game in every area... I mean.. seriously.. a 5 for Sound? come on now.. thats really pushing it.. There are plenty other games that have equally crappy voice work, with equally generic sound tracks but have done better in the Audio category...

nib95

Banned
methane47 said:
especially considering the collective hard-on that the gaming press has for it.. Anyways... That was the beginning of the end for them... I never thought that Haze would have gotten a fair shake... But doesn't matter too much for me since I never intended to buy it.

probably right on this one. Seems to me like graphics of a ps3 game have super lofty expectations.. which is understandable.... but because of that... reviewers penalize the game in every area... I mean.. seriously.. a 5 for Sound? come on now.. thats really pushing it.. There are plenty other games that have equally crappy voice work, with equally generic sound tracks but have done better in the Audio category...

In regards to the sound comment, Army of Two comes to mind.

N30RYU said:
surely you all have alredy seen the video with the Haze graphics issues... in the final release.

If not... here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20OnIZZ3aVc

With this video, i don't need any more reviews whatever famitsu said... I'm not gonna buy it to shorten the wait for MGS4.
Hard to make out much from that video. I can see some texture pop-in, low res textures (no worse than COD4's copy machine), and shitty fast-trees (oblivion-like). It looked like it had a decent amount of geometry in some of these levels, however. Then again, video is so shitty, it's hard to see much. On top of that, it's hard to generalize from a few examples to the overall quality of the game.

nib95 said:
How does IGN give this a 7.5 in graphics....
time-crisis-4-20070919082133229.jpg
Awesome gun textures? :)

quicksilv

another review (believe not posted yet)

Gamershell review
http://www.gamershell.com/ps3/haze/review.html

Ultimately, Haze is still sitting in the wake of Call of Duty 4, and falls into that category of being just another FPS. The game tries to include different content with Nectar abilities and rebel dynamics, but a confused story, lacking gameplay elements and technical bugs bog the game down from being a stellar PS3 exclusive. It’s worth a rental, but know that Haze isn’t a name you want throw out there next time you’re having a console-focused debate.

Hell yeah:
+ Bots in online play ensure you always have 16 players
+ Great animations give characters a “realer” feeling
+ Tries to death with the philosophical/ideological dilemma of war

Oh, hell no:
- Short campaign, without the ability to skip in-game cinematics
- Overacted, “Huh?” plot
- Mantel-Rebel dynamic misses the mark

industrian said:
Sony had nothing to do with UT3. If you want to have a little bitching session regarding UT3, then aim it towards Midway.
not entirely true. the game was an exclusive, Sony helped Epic with the engine, and it was eventually featured in the 'Ladies and Gentlemen' advert along with Burnout Paradise.

Sony, who aren't publishing Haze, decided to put their focus on Haze over UT3.

nib95 said:
Exactly, now compare that to the Time crisis 4 shots. Like I said, IGN PS3 channel are losing touch. They complained about similar things with Uncharted, where the tinciest bit of screen tear and texture pop in (it occurs in the game rarely) got it a 9/10. Similar reasons for GT5P getting a 9/10 for visuals. Lord knows what would have happened if the IGN PS3 channel had to review Mass Effect.

Why do you care so much about one tiny metric in their reviews?

Also, this game would go unnoticed and uncared about like Timeshift if it weren't exclusive. Now it's got a comprehensive official thread and a boatload of defenders. Amazing...

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
To say that this game is worse than blacksite is truly hard for me to believe. I think Blacksite deserved a 2/10, but still. I really do think this game is going to get crazy 4.5's mainly because they hyped it so hard early on. If you're going to hype a game like that, you have to deliver.

drakesfortune said:
To say that this game is worse than blacksite is truly hard for me to believe. I think Blacksite deserved a 2/10, but still. I really do think this game is going to get crazy 4.5's mainly because they hyped it so hard early on. If you're going to hype a game like that, you have to deliver.

Based on the demo and my limited experience with Blacksite (2 shitty hours), I would tend to agree, but unless they are the same reviewer, it's not really a fair comparison to make.

Blacksite was incompetently mediocre while Haze at least seems to be competently mediocre with co-op, which is at least worth something.

dammitmattt said:

Also, this game would go unnoticed and uncared about like Timeshift if it weren't exclusive. Now it's got a comprehensive official thread and a boatload of defenders. Amazing...
It's so ridiculous because it's true.

This game looked like a wreck from the start, the demo didn't help at all and now the reviews are starting to confirm it. But wait, it's an exclusive game!

EagleEyes

dammitmattt said:

You wouldn't have to ask this question if you frequented the PS3Gb on IGN. This is one of the reasons why I signed up here but lo and behold some of IGN's finest posters are here as well. Oh well....

nib95

Banned
dammitmattt said:
Based on the demo and my limited experience with Blacksite (2 shitty hours), I would tend to agree, but unless they are the same reviewer, it's not really a fair comparison to make.

Blacksite was incompetently mediocre while Haze at least seems to be competently mediocre with co-op, which is at least worth something.

They are saying it's worse than Turning Point fall Of Liberty in every way possible. And seriously, I REALLY have a had time believing that. Since the game was even worse than Blacksite and pretty much downright terrible.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
dammitmattt said:

That's true too. My sense of the demo was that the mechanics were all solid and that technically it was leaps and bounds beyond the mess that was Blacksite. Regardless they were both boring. I think that Blacksite deserved a worse score simply because it was such a complete mess technically.

kbear

I'm stunned at the score... even my lowest expectation weren't that low, lol.

dammitmattt said:

Absolutely nailed it. This happens all the time, too. Mediocre exclusive games get hyped because they're, well, exclusive. If it was multi-plat, it would've been totally ignored like TimeShift, which by the way is actually a pretty damn good game. The gfx in that game are seriously some of the most technically impressive I've seen in an FPS. Getting too off-topic.

boco77

Banned
drakesfortune said:
To say that this game is worse than blacksite is truly hard for me to believe.

Yes but Blacksite was in 720p and had better graphics. This game sucks the demo looked like xbox 1 graphics. Hyped because its exclusive to ps3, end of story. Timeshit, Blackshit would have got just as much hype hell even Jericho if they were exclusives. Bye.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
drakesfortune said:
I played Blacksite on the PC and actually enjoyed it somewhat. It was a buggy game, but there were still some good segments in there and the shooting felt good.

How does IGN give this a 7.5 in graphics....
I think TC4 received a better visual score simply due to its framerate. From the quick demo I saw, the game was running at 60 fps (I don't know if there is slowdown, however). It also runs at full 720p.

kbear said:
I'm stunned at the score... even my lowest expectation weren't that low, lol.

Absolutely nailed it. This happens all the time, too. Mediocre exclusive games get hyped because they're, well, exclusive. If it was multi-plat, it would've been totally ignored like TimeShift, which by the way is actually a pretty damn good game. The gfx in that game are seriously some of the most technically impressive I've seen in an FPS. Getting too off-topic.

I didn't mean to slam TimeShift. I actually enjoyed the demo despite the "win" button time mechanic. I was just referring to the fact that it was one of a slew of non-elite shooters that came out last fall that were barely noticed. But yeah, it's still somewhere at the bottom of my Gamefly queue to try out when I get through other non-elite shooters like Turok and Dark Sector.

tahrikmil said:
wtf is up with the sudden flood of juniors in this thread?

I only saw three junior posts on this page, and you're just as likely to find idiots among juniors as you are with the members.

FFObsessed said:

:lol :lol :lol

Zer0

Banned
sajj316 said:
Thanks for the link!

4 GB install and still textures pop-in and out based on proximity? I hope thats not the final release .... I stress hope because if so ... that is VERY poor.

that video was made by a famous spanish ps3hater and a well know troll and halo fanboy so beware,that guy have his personal agenda to make these kind of videos

Top Bottom