• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Haze Official Thread, JCBossman Memorial and Skittles Appreciation. BOOSH!

G-Bus

Banned
After the demo I just might pick this one up. I enjoyed it for the most part. I think the MP is where it will stand out a bit more with the rebels and mantel having a difference in abilities. Should make things interesting online.

Wonder how long the SP campaign clocks in. With there being 4 player co-op I hope it's not too short. Around 15 hours seems to be the sweet spot for me when it comes to an FPS.

FabCam said:
It was kind of a joke. In the other HAZE thread everyone was making suck a big deal out of it being 576p. Plus there's the guy who just posts "meh" in every HAZE thread. Obviously it backfired : /

My question is, if it the final release is indeed in 576p how is that going to look on a 40" 1080p HDTV?

FabCam

Solideliquid said:
My question is, if it the final release is indeed in 576p how is that going to look on a 40" 1080p HDTV?

On my 32" 1080i screen it looked fine. It's not a stunner, but it's nowhere near as bad as some people make it out to be.

Plus I updated the OP with screens and websites.

sprocket

Banned
Solideliquid said:

Answer: HAZE sub 720 with AA will look better than Halo3 with its no AA.

Yeah might as well go there if this gen fanboyism is going to be about fictitious pixel counting.

Im sitting here looking a the demo and see a solid frame rate. tons of geometry being thrown around with a lot of detail. Excellent lighting and effects. and no Aliasing.

Now lets compare that to other FPS if you want to get technical about it.

watership

sprocket said:
Answer: HAZE sub 720 with AA will look better than Halo3 with its no AA.
Yeah might as well go there if this gen fanboyism is going to be about fictitious pixel counting.
Im sitting here looking a the demo and see a solid frame rate. tons of geometry being thrown around with a lot of detail. Excellent lighting and effects. and no Aliasing.
Now lets compare that to other FPS if you want to get technical about it.

Haze looks better than Halo 3?

dalin80

Banned
I may pick the game up and see how it plays on a long run, I tried the demo and wasn't too thrilled by it but i thought the same about resistance when i first played that only too love it by the final 3rd.

£38.98 at the moment ($80) cheap for a new release RRP is £49.99 ($100).

FabCam

dalin80 said:
I may pick the game up and see how it plays on a long run, I tried the demo and wasn't too thrilled by it but i thought the same about resistance when i first played that only too love it by the final 3rd.

£38.98 at the moment ($80) cheap for a new release RRP is £49.99 ($100).

If you buy it in store it costs £50, but online most sell it for £40. Where are you egtting that extra pound off? :D

Jeseus

watership said:

not_again_cat.jpg

nib95

Banned
Why is the OP and thread title so damn negative? Does the OP even like the game?

Also, does the game really run at 576p? Which by the way isn't actually 576 pixels....

Bigmac573

Banned
nib95 said:
Why is the OP and thread title so damn negative? Does the OP even like the game?
People seem to derive alot of joy from hating on this game, I guess they just want to see non-multiplatform games crash and burn. It's alot like Too Human, haters will take every step to put it down even if they haven't laid a finger on a demo.

FabCam

nib95 said:

Also, does the game really run at 576p? Which by the way isn't actually 576 pixels....

wtf, no I love the game. The old thread title was aimed as a joke to the haters in the other thread but it kind of back fired. Thanks for the title change EviLore.

antiloop

Yay, Haze. :)

Kibbles: Not surprising. They are Halobots. Not that I don't believe the score but I will just ignore it.

watership said:

Halo 3 looked like a jaggy mess on my 1080p LCD. Haze looks like a blurry mess on my 1080p LCD, pick your poison. If only Haze had an HD photo mode to improve the image quality...

During the DEMO, there is a point (after the gunships drop bombs) in the game where there is a loud noise and the nectar goes kind of crazy, later another soldier tells you it was an animal noise.

What the heck is going on there? I've heard that during this brief time you see bodies and blood, but I see nothing. While it happens nothing changes except things get darker for a second and then the brightness is back to normal.

Kibbles

MWS Natural said:
Halo 3 looked like a jaggy mess on my 1080p LCD. Haze looks like a blurry mess on my 1080p LCD, pick your poison. If only Haze had an HD photo mode to improve the image quality...
Actually if you play Halo 3 on VGA there isn't much jaggies.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Haze is the most overhyped FPS game to hit since Halo 3. What an amazing combination of blandness.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
EviLore said:
Thread title fixed.
Ow, harsh.

Anyway, as much as Haze may be a good game (And really, the hate here for FRD is insane), but the art style is severely wrong, I mean any army which has florescent helmets (And they appear to come in yellow AND red), either hates their soldiers, or really likes fair play, after all, any sort of strategic advantage at night is lost by the fact that the buggers would stand out from a mile away!

That said, I will persuade my PS3 owning best mate to rent this at least, as being a Timesplitters fan, I want to see what FRD have came up with here, silly helmets aside.

nib95

Banned
AlphaSnake said:
Haze is the most overrated FPS game to hit since Halo 3. What an amazing combination of blandness.

Haze over-rated? :lol

:lol

It's a game that receives tonnes of hate, if anything it's being under-rated, not over-rated lol.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
nib95 said:

It's a game that receives tonnes of hate, if anything it's being under-rated, not over-rated lol.

Woops. Overhyped, was my intention. Editing now.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
nib95 said:

being a PS3 only game is so difficult these days , you can ask Barrels Union and low-texture gun model Agency about Uncharted and Killzone2 .

pswii60

Blimblim said:
?

I'm expecting this to be a decent game. Free Radical has got a good track record. However, so had Silicon Knights.. but when the games media see 'development troubles' they then review the game with 'shit goggles' on and turn everything in to a negative. Even if this game is great I expect it to get lower scores as a result, same with Too Human.

Hell, I'm turning in to nib95 with my conspiracy theories.
Kibbles said:
Wow it got a 6/10 and 5/10 over at GameReactor Sweden. http://www.gamereactor.se/recensioner/13866/Haze/
5/10 for graphics? Have they played the same game? Haze is at least 8/10 for graphics in the demo. Unless that's the best looking part of the game.

Kibbles

I don't see how it's over-rated with 6/10 and 5/10... if that's over-rated... then this game must be pretty damn bad.

deadhorse.gif
? >.> My bad.

Some points from the Game Reactor review:

Good

- Nice environments
- Pacing is balanced
- Online can be fun
- Personality
- The drugs theme is an interesting topic

Bad

- Poor AI
- Unimaginative weapons
- Vehicles are hard to control
- Only two variations of enemy
- Repetitive level design
- Pop-up
- Ammo is plentiful
- Ugly design choices

I freakin love Free Radical, and think TimeSplitters:FP is probably the most underrated FPS of all time. Ok that was a bit much, but one of them.

However this game looks incredibly average. I just hope its polished average after all these delays. The fact that the game has ZERO reviews so far isnt a good sign though.

nib95

Banned
pswii60 said:
?

I'm expecting this to be a decent game. Free Radical has got a good track record. However, so had Silicon Knights.. but when the games media see 'development troubles' they then review the game with 'shit goggles' on and turn everything in to a negative. Even if this game is great I expect it to get lower scores as a result, same with Too Human.

Hell, I'm turning in to nib95 with my conspiracy theories.

5/10 for graphics? Have they played the same game? Haze is at least 8/10 for graphics in the demo. Unless that's the best looking part of the game.

It is a possibility. I remember previewers being disappointed with the visuals outside of jungle levels. I hope for Haze's sake the rest of the game looks as good if not better.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Opus Angelorum said:
Some points from the Game Reactor review:

Good

- Nice environments
- Pacing is balanced
- Online can be fun
- Personality
- The drugs theme is an interesting topic
Bad

- Poor AI
- Unimaginative weapons- Vehicles are hard to control
- Only two variations of enemy
- Repetitive level design
- Pop-up
- Ugly design choices

i didn't like the demo because the nectar using , i just hated that idea and i didn't enjoy cuz of it , but funky enough i liked the weapon !!

antiloop

Petter Hegevall Gamereactor Sweden said:
Gillar inte Timesplitters-spelen, har aldrig gjort. Och trots att Haze även doftar starkt av stulna Halo och Far Cry-idéer är Timesplitters-känslan hela tiden närvarande. Spelkänslan påminner om en stor burk ljusgrön skidvalla. Eller om att ratta runt stor båt på vindstilla vatten. Man liksom glider fram, och det känns aldrig riktigt bra. Spelmekanikens strömlinjeformade båtkänsla är en av minuspunkterna. Den gula/fula designen, de trista fordonen och de korkade fienderna är tre till. Pluskontot då? Det blir bättre då man trillar över på rebellernas sida, Jonas har helt rätt i det. Jag gillar också en del av vapnen, och vissa miljöer är rätt snygga, trots snål-upplösningen 576p. Bra skulle jag dock aldrig kalla Haze för, knappt godkänt snarare... 5/10

Let's see here:

-"Don't like the Timesplitter-games, never did"

-"Reeks of stolen Halo and Far Cry ideas but the Timesplitter-feeling is present all the time."

-"The gameplay mechanics reminds me about a big can of light green ski wax or like controlling a big boat on calm water" "That's one of the negative aspects"

-"The yellow/ugly design, the boring vehicles and the stupid enemies are 3 more" (negative aspects)

-"Gets better when you join the rebel-side"

-"Likes some of the weapons and some environments are good looking, despite the cheap 576p resolution"

Finishing line:

-"I would never call Haze good, rather almost not approved"

Sounds positive. :p

Edit: He gave Halo 3 10/10 and put it just after HL2 and HL1 on his top three. No complaints about the cheap 640p resolution there. Haze at least has 2x AA.

Time to add some nectar to this thread. I'm going to work on all headers/footers/graphix for this thread whether you all like it or not! OP, please use these if you prefer them. I'll be updating THIS post.

Haze_Header.jpg

tableofcontent.gif

0. Features and Specs
1. Previews
2. Videos
3. Screens
4. Reviews

0Specs.gif

1Preview.gif

2Videoscopy.gif

3Screenscopy.gif

4Reviewscopy.gif

Haze_Footer.jpg

BeeDog

Opus Angelorum said:
The second reviewer sounds really bitter, the initial review is much more insightful.

The second reviewer at Gamereactor (the editor) is always fucking bitter and whiny. I wouldn't really count on his words, ever. (or for anyone at Gamereactor for that matter)

I'm not saying Haze is a good game, but look elsewhere for worthwhile opinions.

Top Bottom