• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Haze Official Thread, JCBossman Memorial and Skittles Appreciation. BOOSH!

Kweh

Need some more reviews before I plunk the money down on this. Might be enough to pass the time until MGS4 hits at least...

Canadian gaffers can hit Best Buy's web site right now, all video games are 10% off including preorders. I usually take advantage of these promotions to preorder whatever is coming down the pipe.

You do have to pay a $1.99 shipping charge, but it still ends up being a few bucks cheaper than walking in and buying it on release day and they are usually good about getting you the preorders on release day if you live in a major city.

Haze and MGS4 preorders @ $53.99, + $1.99 shipping.

sprocket said:
Seems like a solid 8+ fps to me. And looks better than most I have played this year. A lot of the stigma that comes with this game is due to pure fanboyism I think.

no, I think alot of it comes from this being one of those times a demo was not a good idea or atleast not the one they released. The Demo left a bad taste in many mouths and really didnt give you any idea as to what the game is about. Alot of people didnt understand why bodies just disapeared, why there was no blood, why your comrades scripts were written by a 12 yo from the land of happy.

I'll be getting it regardless and I'll be seeing you online Oro....err, Sprocket.

It's kind of disappointing Free Radical haven't done much to the game since I played an earlier build in November last year.

In all fairness, they cleaned up the framerate A LOT. It runs heaps smoother now, but it really doesn't play as well as previous FR efforts have.

I think the game had a lot of potential, but it almost feels like FR just couldn't be bothered after a while. To me, it looks WELL below what a PS3 exclusive built from the ground up should look like.

Big fan of the fully customisable controls though (not that it hasn't been done), but it's good to see none the less.

shagg_187 said:
Time to add some nectar to this thread. I'm going to work on all headers/footers/graphix for this thread whether you all like it or not! OP, please use these if you prefer them. I'll be updating THIS post.

Haze_Header.jpg

tableofcontent.gif

0. Features and Specs
1. Previews
2. Videos
3. Screens
4. Reviews

0Specs.gif

1Preview.gif

2Videoscopy.gif

3Screenscopy.gif

4Reviewscopy.gif

Haze_Footer.jpg

Done creating images.

mr stroke

is it me or is there zero marketing for this game? I have seen much print or tv stuff for this game? what is Sony/Ubi thinking, shouldn't they be hyping this with Halo like hype? I think with the right marketing push this game could be huge.

mr stroke said:
is it me or is there zero marketing for this game? I have seen much print or tv stuff for this game? what is Sony/Ubi thinking, shouldn't they be hyping this with Halo like hype? I think with the right marketing push this game could be huge.

Several websites have full ads for this constantly running that screw up my computer whenever i'm on that page. And i've seen the TV ads running for over a week now. Which is surprising since TV ads in general for games usually don't start until the week of their release.

Salazar

mr stroke said:

I seem to recall some form of deal that involved buying Haze, and then trading it in almost before you'd walked out of the shop.

Screw it. Will buy, want it early. Australian retailers should live up to their rep in this regard.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Famitsu Gives Haze a Glowing Review (34/40) - "gold award
"

... matching Orange Box's score, and with one reviewer giving Haze a 9 whilst they gave Orange Box a 7.

I dunno, i don't think the Japanese "get" what makes a good FPS and Famitsu are about as reliable as a chocolate sun screen (see : Halo and Muzzle Flash getting the same score)

that said, i love the Timesplitter games, so despite the demo, i'll still give this a whirl.

Defuser

Opus Angelorum said:
Some points from the Game Reactor review:

Good

- Nice environments
- Pacing is balanced
- Online can be fun
- Personality
- The drugs theme is an interesting topic

Bad

- Poor AI
- Unimaginative weapons
- Vehicles are hard to control
- Only two variations of enemy
- Repetitive level design
- Pop-up
- Ammo is plentiful
- Ugly design choices
Looks like they run out of bad things to say and decided to add more non breaking stuff which sounds like it is.

mr stroke said:
there's tons of ads during NBA games.

hteng

Banned
ok how the fuck do you guys figure what resolution the game's running on ? don't you need special equipments?

Speevy said:
It's nectar. You drink it and the game becomes 720p.

oh and /thread

sajj316

cool, got its own thread. My hope is that this game does well. This game that was super hyped ... lost steam ... but still worth a purchase. Reviews are coming in ... PSM EU giving it a 9/10 and Famitsu giving it a 34/40. Gamereactor gave it a 6/10 but they also gave Resistance a 6/10 (take it for what its worth).

I was initially upset over the games appearance (bit on the blurry side) but the gameplay won me over (specifically co-op). I also loved that you could modify controls and get it exactly the way you want.

LSM256

Banned
HallucinatingElvis said:
The Demo left a bad taste in many mouths and really didnt give you any idea as to what the game is about. Alot of people didnt understand why bodies just disapeared, why there was no blood, why your comrades scripts were written by a 12 yo from the land of happy.

My understanding is that one of the main effects of Nectar is that it edits out blood and dead bodies. Also, being high as a kite doesn't exactly make Shakespeare pop into mind while speaking.

I_D

BobJustBob said:
"Ammo is plentiful" as a negative? What the fuck?

I assume that means it's too easy, and there's no sense of urgency.

I don't really trust Famitsu reviews for FPS games, though. I'll wait for some more FPS-oriented sites/magazines to review the game, since they're big into game's competition and know what makes a good FPS game.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I think I might get it. The concept really appeals to me, but I don't have a lot of time to play games now that I have a full time job. :(

TDG

Banned
mr stroke said:
I've seen a lot of commercials during the NBA playoffs. Besides, I haven't played the game, and I'm not trolling, but I think it would be a mistake to pump a Halo-like amount of money into Haze's marketing. So far, it appears to be a good game, but certainly not something that's poised to be a runaway sales train.

If I was Sony or Ubisoft, I would be focusing my money on other games.

Dali said:
So does HAZE prove that people don't just get excited over Sony-exclusive games just because they are Sony exclusives, or are the naysayers saying this doesn't count because it's coming to 360?

Doesn't really matter, I haven't shown a lick of interest in this title since the debut trailer.

I just came in here to see if the new screens did anything for me...

*LOOKS*

Nope...

Immortal_Daemon said:

Ammo doesn't necessarily have anything to do with challenge. Look at the EDF games; those have infinite ammo and they're hard as shit. Some games restrict ammo and some don't; neither way is inherently negative.

Also, being too easy is never a flaw, though that's a different discussion.

Troidal

The only thing that irks me about the promo movies is that they always bash the Mental troops helmet and say, "It's pay back time!" like I've seen 3-4 different versions of the same thing. It's like yeah yeah I get it, teen angst with Korn music rawr and all that.

TDG

Banned
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Apparently the reviewer has never heard of multiple difficulties.
So wait, do you feel that it's unreasonable to knock a game's difficulty if it has multiple difficulties?

the disgruntled gamer said:
So wait, do you feel that it's unreasonable to knock a game's difficulty if it has multiple difficulties?

I was referring to the "ammo is plentiful" comment in the review. It seems like a pretty childish complaint. If the reviewer found the game too easy, he should have played at a higher difficulty.

TDG

Banned
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I was referring to the "ammo is plentiful" comment in the review. It seems like a pretty childish complaint. If the reviewer found the game too easy, he should have played at a higher difficulty.
Yeah, but when you're reviewing a game, you've got to take the difficulty into account, so you can warn people if the game is too easy and should be played on a higher difficulty level. Plus, playing on Normal for the review seems like the most responsible thing to do, since that's what most people will play on.

The demo was alright. The nectar bit is somewhat addicting, and a rather unique feature, but on the whole the demo didn't do much for me. However, I'm not the biggest fan of shooters, and I could see people who love the genre really enjoying this game.

I see it averaging around the low 8s overall. If you're a shooter fan, definitely go for it.

Rainy Dog

I've had Haze on preorder for what must be over a year now and was finally thinking of cancelling it this weekend. I love Free Radical, still think Goldeneye/Perfect Dark/Timesplitters 2 are some of the best MP FPS's ever, desperately want to support them and have every trust in them delivering. But...I've suddenly come extremely sterile to playing the game. Not because of the recent negativity surrounding the demo or the resolution...I'm frankly arsed about the latter, the divided opinion/prediction has always been there with Haze and I haven't even played the demo. Yet over the past few weeks I've really lost all anticipation for it. I always felt it wouldnt be anything particularly groundbreaking but at least felt it'd be very enjoyable, pretty, diverse and would without any doubt deliver on the MP front. Yet at this moment in time, and with the game finally actually coming out, I've really lost all enthusiasm :(

I dunno, maybe its with my most anticipated game in years (MGS4) being just around the corner... Perhaps its because these past few months I've been revisiting some of my favourite games of all time in the entire MGS series in prep for 4, Shadow of the Colossus, Okami, even the PS2 Ratchets...and its really hit home how tired I am of FPS's unless they provide something genuinely different or do absolutely everything better than the rest. And Haze simply doesn't look like it'll offer any of those :(

Anyways, the preorder still stands and I just hope come Thurs (UK release date) I can be bothered to pop it in and give it a fair chance :/

Played the demo with a friend and was totally underwhelmed with what I experienced. I felt the controls were clunky and shooting enemies really lacked that special 'oomph' FPS games need so killing enemies weren't really satisfying. It's a shame, too. GTA IV's online is unplayable mess on my end so I was looking for a game to kill time with 'till MGS4 totally obliterates my social life.

bad10

Banned
I'm in European country and i plan to buy an US version of the game

Do we actually know if the online servers are worldwide or limited to area ???

Thanks.

Ironballs

Totobeni said:
i didn't like the demo because the nectar using , i just hated that idea and i didn't enjoy cuz of it , but funky enough i liked the weapon !!

Were people this mad about shooting up in Bioshock? I honestly don't remember.

Anyway, demo was solid, 4p co-op, and I like Free Radical. Day 1.

Rainy Dog

bad10 said:
I'm in European country and i plan to buy an US version of the game

Do we actually know if the online servers are worldwide or limited to area ???

Thanks.

I don't think anyone knows yet, but should be clear within the next day or so. Speaking of the online side...is it definitely still supposed to be 24 players max? The OP states 24 but am sure I read that it was trimmed to 16?

FabCam

Rainy Dog said:
I don't think anyone knows yet, but should be clear within the next day or so. Speaking of the online side...is it definitely still supposed to be 24 players max? The OP states 24 but am sure I read that it was trimmed to 16?

Well the newest previews which are from early May say that it's 24, so I think it's staying.

test_account

XP-39C²
Immortal_Daemon said:
JdFoX187 said:
Too easy? Probably pick this up this week. Need a new game and my PS3 needs some loving.

This might be what they ment, but when i come to think of it i cant really recall any specific FPS title that i've played where i've really have runned out of ammo. Sure, there have been certain weapons that i've used that have runned out of ammo, but as in not having a single bullet left at all for any weapons, i cant really recall any specific FPS title where that have happend to me, atleast not often throughout the entire game. I'm not saying that it never have happend to me, i think it have happend to me, but i cant recall what/which games that were. If it happends it happends to me very rarely atleast.

Having more ammo avalible doesnt necessarily makes a game that much easier. It might be easier of course, but not necessarily that you can walse through the game just because you have more ammo avalible. Well.. it totally depends on what weapon we are talking about of course, i.e if you have unlimited ammo for the best gun in Doom 2 it would be much much easier to beat the game. Maybe this is what also happends in Haze? Maybe not unlimited ammo, but that ammo for the most powerfull weapons are really easy to find. If this is the case, then i can sorta understand that Game Reactor gave a negative about this thing.

However, i doubt that Haze is so unbalanced that ammo for the most powerful weapons are plentiful in the game, but i havnt playing anything other than the demo so i cant say if if the ammo for the most powerful weapons are plentiful or not in the full game. Haze is a shooting game and it would be more annoying if you kept on running out of ammo instead of having plentiful, atleast in my opinion.

Mr Epic

Banned
This is one pathetic uninspired project by Free Radical. Even my girlfriend who knows nothing about gaming saw the commercial and said "Shouldn't that be called Hazo?"

Guess I'll have to wait until GoW2 in November to get my online multi-player fix.

N30RYU

In a spanish website Derek Littlewood creative from Free Radical said about the 576p

"Personally, I don't think that there's such a difference. Was done the same with Call of Duty. Also with Halo. People get alarmed 'cause weren't running in true HD. But doesn't matter. To me is more important to get the game running well and being fun."

Brashnir

N30RYU said:
In a spanish website Derek Littlewood creative from Free Radical said about the 576p

"Personally, I don't think that there's such a difference. Was done the same with Call of Duty. Also with Halo. People get alarmed 'cause weren't running in true HD. But doesn't matter. To me is more important to get the game running well and being fun."

I agree with that. It's definitely better to lower the resolution than to have a choppy framerate. Obviously though, as a gamer, I want both as much as possible.

I'm still undecided on this game. I'm looking for a solid co-op game to play, but I think I'll wait and see if I can get it cheap. My co-op time is being filled by Pixeljunk Monsters Encore and Assault Heroes 2 for the time being.

Top Bottom