• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO and Cinemax launches on PS Vue

jfkgoblue

Saw this posted on Reddit, so I decided to check on my PS4

WQTaBzvh.jpg

No official word from Sony yet though

EDIT: I subscribed, it includes the live HBO East and West + every TV show episode and movie available On-Demand
EDIT2: Vue has been added as an HBO NOW provider
You're totally right, I see the Vue login listed here: https://www.hbonow.com/register
EDIT3: Sony's announcement
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/09/29/ps-vue-hbo-cinemax-new-ultra-plan-arrive-today/
EDIT4: HBO Now on PS4

oakenhild

Does the Vue support watching on OS X or Windows (like Sling) yet? I like the pricing and packages better than Sling, but the missing apps (or browser support) for computers is kind of a deal breaker.

This is conflicting me... i'd like to take advantage of this... Then I realize I already have comcast and can get HBO (and all additional HBO channels) for 10 dollars extra a month...

jfkgoblue

They take money out of your Wallet first for this service? Thought it was CC only that needed to be on file.
Yep! It works just like any other PS Store purchase, will use any wallet funds.
Does the Vue support watching on OS X or Windows (like Sling) yet? I like the pricing and packages better than Sling, but the missing apps (or browser support) for computers is kind of a deal breaker.
Unfortunately no browser support as of yet

I assume you're also eligible for Max GO if you sub to Cinemax? Be nice if there was some kind of package deal to get both for cheaper.

jfkgoblue

I assume you're also eligible for Max GO if you sub to Cinemax? Be nice if there was some kind of package deal to get both for cheaper.
There's a new "Ultra slim" which is elite+HBO+Showtime for $65.... That a $150+ TV package on cable

Vue isn't listed under Max Go providers yet

KodaRuss

Having completely switched over to PS Vue from cable has been just great. I am saving about 90 bucks a month and I have more channels than I did when I had cable.

As an HBO Now and Vue subscriber, seems like a no brainer to switch over to this. No need to Chromecast if I want to watch live episodes and gives me HBO Now functionality for the on demand stuff.

Now we just need that HBO Now app for PS4.......................................................................................................

Now we just need that HBO Now app for PS4.......................................................................................................

HBO Now should be coming to PS4 soon. When they announced it they said it would be out before the Westworld premiere on October 2, so any day now.

There's a new "Ultra slim" which is elite+HBO+Showtime for $65.... That a $150+ TV package on cable

Vue isn't listed under Max Go providers yet

Very nice. My internet connection sucks too much for Vue to be viable, but as soon as I move to another place, I'm going for that, I think.

For real. Been waiting on this forever, but have pretty much given up hope. It's so dumb, it isn't blocked on the Xbox One...

It's probably been answered a lot, but do we have any idea why one is blocked and not the other? I know the PS4 block is in regards to Comcast, does Sony have some type of relationship with Comcast that Comcast has more pull with Sony than MS, or is just totally a fluke of coincidence?

jfkgoblue

Very nice. My internet connection sucks too much for Vue to be viable, but as soon as I move to another place, I'm going for that, I think.
You should try the free trial, Vue doesn't need great internet, Sony says 10 mbps but the stream uses about half that.
As an HBO Now and Vue subscriber, seems like a no brainer to switch over to this. No need to Chromecast if I want to watch live episodes and gives me HBO Now functionality for the on demand stuff.

You don't need HBO NOW for on-demand, every single TV show and monthly movie is available On-demand through the Vue interface

Fisty

Finally, been checking every few days since the announcement. This should be the perfect complement to my Netflix sub

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
US only? Or Canada too?

Only in the US and probably for the foreseeable future though I can see Sony making the push once the service is well established in the US and has gotten the UI, channel selection and other features advanced to a certain point.

jfkgoblue

Only in the US and probably for the foreseeable future though I can see Sony making the push once the service is well established in the US and has gotten the UI, channel selection and other features advanced to a certain point.
I think the main thing holding it back is the fact that it is only American channels and broadcast rights are different from country to country.

It's probably been answered a lot, but do we have any idea why one is blocked and not the other? I know the PS4 block is in regards to Comcast, does Sony have some type of relationship with Comcast that Comcast has more pull with Sony than MS, or is just totally a fluke of coincidence?
Was Comcast on stage with MS when they were doing their TV/TV/TV thing? Might be some corporate cahoots?

Seems weird.

J-Skee

Right, but I imagine you can use HBO Go with the Vue subscription as well

Nope. It's actually HBO Now.

EDIT: As others have said, this is the best deal if you only do HBO Now, as you get live HBO on top of it for no additional charge. If you have access to a Vue compatible box, there's no reason not to switch your provider. Can't wait to try it myself when I get home.

Playstation blog says that HBO Now app is launching today as well!

J-Skee

No, apparently the Vue login will work with HBO NOW and not Go. Guessing HBO is trying to faze out Go because they are identical apps, and it would be better to just have everyone on the same app.

More like Vue is consider an internet streaming package rather than a traditional cable package, so like Google Play, Apple, Roku & Amazon, Vue goes with the Now service, whereas traditional cable companies are with Go.

Keep in mind, if you are switching to Vue+HBO NOW, you are gonna have to cancel your current sub on HBO NOW, then, using the same account, "link to new subscription". I had HBO NOW a little while ago and it wouldn't let me create a new account.
At work... I signed up for standalone HBO on Vue via the Vue website, then went and canceled my regular HBO Now account (via Google Play). I don't see anything about linking to a new subscription on the HBO NOW site?

jfkgoblue

At work... I signed up for standalone HBO on Vue via the Vue website, then went and canceled my regular HBO Now account. I don't see anything about linking to a new subscription on the HBO NOW site?
Well when I logged in it said "Renew your subscription" (I cancelled a couple of months ago because of no PS4 app) and then it said there was an option to renew via Apple(who I was subbed with before) and below that it said "Link to new subscription"

It's prob because your sub hasn't expired yet.

Top Bottom