• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO GO blocked on PS4 if you use Comcast

Cornbread78

I have Xfiniti because it's the only decent choice to use around here and they con tune to price gauge and screw over their customers. ..

samar11

Dropping Comcast next month when HBO Now is up because I'm fucking done with cable. Wish there was a viable alternative for internet but the FCC victory was enough to keep me going.

Don't you still need internet connection ? How does it work ? lol

Afrodium

Banned
there isnt much difference between blocking Netflix for everyone on your network or blocking HBO Go on specific devices... you are still blocking. It is actually worse since these people are paying Comcast for HBO, vs nobody paying them a dime for Netflix or YouTube.

I am sure plenty of people said hey, they are not obligated to upgrade connection to Netflix, what do they have to do with Netflix? And yet here we are.

The difference is that if Comcast were to block Netflix then they'd be intervening in a contract they have no part of, and the only way they could block it is by throttling it which is explicitly what net neutrality protects against. HBO Go access, however, is dependent upon a contract between the customer and Comcast, and it's up to Comcast what devices they offer this service on. They're not blocking anything so much as not offering it.

I don't understand what the purpose of this is. If someone is already paying Comcast for HBO, then why does Comcast care what the delivery mechanism is?

I imagine that once HBO offers the monthly subscription independent of Comcast they won't be able to do this for those HBO GO users, only for people who get HBO through Comcast?

KaoteK

As an outsider looking in, it boggles my mind that cable companies /ISPs have so much power in the country that enspouses the free market more than any other country in the world. I'm mean, what ever happened to competition driving down prices and giving choice to the consumer?

Raistlin

there isnt much difference between blocking Netflix for everyone on your network or blocking HBO Go on specific devices... you are still blocking. It is actually worse since these people are paying Comcast for HBO, vs nobody paying them a dime for Netflix or YouTube.

I am sure plenty of people said hey, they are not obligated to upgrade connection to Netflix, what do they have to do with Netflix? And yet here we are.
It is completely different, and I'm not sure how to make it clearer here.

They literally own the distribution rights to it, and the service you are paying for (a subscription to HBO channels) in no way guarantees access to it via the internet. They are not allowed to make preferential or financial deals for content from 3rd parties on their WAN. How they grant access to their own content is entirely up to them.

Raistlin

I don't understand what the purpose of this is. If someone is already paying Comcast for HBO, then why does Comcast care what the delivery mechanism is?

I imagine that once HBO offers the monthly subscription independent of Comcast they won't be able to do this for those HBO GO users, only for people who get HBO through Comcast?
HBO Go is under their control for their sub holders.

The standalone HBO offering (HBO Now) and users of HBO Go on their WAN that sub from other HBO providers cannot be touched. That would be against net neutrality laws.

As an outsider looking in, it boggles my mind that cable companies /ISPs have so much power in the country that enspouses the free market more than any other country in the world. I'm mean, what ever happened to competition driving down prices and giving choice to the consumer?
This is a terrible example of the point you're trying to make. The only 'power' the cable companies have here is that they have a pretty standard distribution contract for HBO content. As part of that they can, at their discretion, grant access to view HBO content online for their users. In terms of distribution to their sub holders, they literally own the content and can do with it whatever they wish (within the confines of said contract).

They cannot in any way stop website access (including HBO Now and HBO Go) for people that are purchasing their HBO content from another provider.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Just found out the CenturyLink offers faster speeds at 1/3rd the price in my area. Switching ASAP from Comcast. No need to keep giving this company money.

geomon

Oh man, the moment, the exact fucking second there's a direct cable internet competitor to Comcast in my area, they can fuck right off with their shit. I am so done with Comcast but it's them or nothing. It's disgusting.

Yagharek

Some companies will always argue for a free market until they can act like a cartel and then its all about protecting marketshare through whatever means possible.

MageBoySA

What free market? Most cable companies have a monopoly for different regions. My choice here is Comcast or satellite, and if I don't go with Comcast, internet (which would still be Comcast, as they are the only one who offers real broadband in my area) and satellite TV would actually cost more.

HBO Go is under their control for their sub holders.

The standalone HBO offering (HBO Now) and users of HBO Go on their WAN that sub from other HBO providers cannot be touched. That would be against net neutrality laws.

This is a terrible example of the point you're trying to make. The only 'power' the cable companies have here is that they have a pretty standard distribution contract for HBO content. As part of that they can, at their discretion, grant access to view HBO content online for their users. In terms of distribution to their sub holders, they literally own the content and can do with it whatever they wish (within the confines of said contract).

They cannot in any way stop website access (including HBO Now and HBO Go) for people that are purchasing their HBO content from another provider.
Perhaps the issue is one of DRM certification? Both the PS3 and PS4 are getting major firmware updates for IPTV. The PS3 is getting Playready and the PS4 with Firmware 2.5 finally supports Low power IPTV as suspend/resume will finally be implemented.

If the above had an impact and we know Sony has plans to certify the PS4 and likely the PS3 for Vidipath = DLNA CVP2 with playready...is Comcast, which is the US Cable TV leader in providing the DLNA CVP2 RDK, waiting till Sony certifies the PS3 and PS4 with DTLA and DLNA? If not and after June 2015 a date by which I expect Sony to have certified both the PS3 and PS4, Comcast would be in violation of the FCC Net Neutrality guidelines/Law. If you allow Apple TV to stream HBO Go and not the PS4 for the same customer, it violates net neutrality.

Note: The testing for DLNA CVP2 certification takes about 2 months and PS4 firmware 2.5 is scheduled Late March or early April just slightly over 2 months from June 15 which is the FCC mandate date for Cable companies to provide DLNA CVP2 support with their DVRs. It's likely they have had the code done earlier but it ties in with the OS at a low level and Sony just started a PS4 Beta testing program which caused the leaks about Firmware 2.5.

Raistlin

Perhaps the issue is one of DRM certification? Both the PS3 and PS4 are getting major firmware updates for IPTV. The PS3 is getting Playready and the PS4 with Firmware 2.5 finally supports Low power IPTV as suspend/resume will finally be implemented.

If the above had an impact and we know Sony has plans to certify the PS4 and likely the PS3 for Vidipath = DLNA CVP2 with playready...is Comcast, which is the US Cable TV leader in providing the DLNA CVP2 RDK, waiting till Sony certifies the PS3 and PS4 with DTLA and DLNA? If not and after June 2015 a date by which I expect Sony to have certified both the PS3 and PS4, Comcast would be in violation of the FCC Net Neutrality guidelines/Law. If you allow Apple TV to stream HBO Go and not the PS4 for the same customer, it violates net neutrality.

Note: The testing for DLNA CVP2 certification takes about 2 months and PS4 firmware 2.5 is scheduled Late March or early April just slightly over 2 months from June 15 which is the FCC mandate date for Cable companies to provide DLNA CVP2 support with their DVRs. It's likely they have had the code done earlier but it ties in with the OS at a low level and Sony just started a PS4 Beta testing program which caused the leaks about Firmware 2.5.
I can't imagine it's a DRM issue since other providers grant access.

As for it being a net neutrality violation though, I don't think so. It is not a 3rd party service. Contractually they 'own' access since they have the legal distribution rights. They can grant access at will. They, contractually, can literally decide their subs do not get HBO Go access on any device if they so choose. It's theirs to give or not give.

Realistically, if enough of a stink is made in the media about this ... I'm pretty sure they'll turn it on. If it was a provider that wasn't allowing access on any device I'd be worried. Here, not so much.

I think the problem a lot of people have getting their head around this is that they see HBO Go as some separate service like Netflix or the upcoming HBO Now, but it's not. Contractually the provider is the one granting you access, and unfortunately they have control of what devices it appears on. At least that's my understanding.

What confuses me the most here is why people are freaking out on Comcast right now, or acting like this is conceptually new? Compare the different devices ... they've always had some differences in provider access - http://www.hbogo.com/activate/#/devices. Up until last year, DirecTV didn't show up on Roku, etc. Is Comcast/Xfinity even on PS3? Doesn't look like it.

Eddie Bax

What free market? Most cable companies have a monopoly for different regions. My choice here is Comcast or satellite, and if I don't go with Comcast, internet (which would still be Comcast, as they are the only one who offers real broadband in my area) and satellite TV would actually cost more.

And this is perfectly legal because most of the time (with exceptions) there's nothing actually legally in place to stop someone else setting up a network against the incumbent.

It's just really expensive to get right-of-ways (if needed), run cable, advertise etc. — especially in areas where the population density makes the business case hard to justify — which is exacerbated by the lack of local loop unbundling and things of that nature that other countries have, where a service provider can use pre-existing infrastructure without having to strike an expensive, individualized deal with the infrastructure owner.

I can't imagine it's a DRM issue since other providers grant access.

As for it being a net neutrality violation though, I don't think so. It is not a 3rd party service. Contractually they 'own' access since they have the legal distribution rights. They can grant access at will. They, contractually, can literally decide their subs do not get HBO Go access on any device if they so choose. It's theirs to give or not give.

Realistically, if enough of a stink is made in the media about this ... I'm pretty sure they'll turn it on. If it was a provider that wasn't allowing access on any device I'd be worried. Here, not so much.
I can imagine Sony not following through on a stricter Comcast DRM requirement knowing that DLNA CVP2 certification is coming.

My understanding is that Sony must prove the PS3 and PS4 meet DRM standards which is usually done by a third party that provides middleware routines. Further, it's my understanding that while the HBO GO program had DRM, it was not embedded as Playready DRM hadn't been implemented for the PS3 yet. The PS4 doesn't have Trustzone EMBEDDED DRM till it uses the Southbridge IPTV routines and that isn't till after Firmware 2.5.

Honestly? I'd just fuck it and say no internet at home. Fuck Comcast. It's better to be without any internet than pay those asshats. Just let them know why you're canceling your service and do it.

EatMyFace

Banned
Dropping Comcast next month when HBO Now is up because I'm fucking done with cable. Wish there was a viable alternative for internet but the FCC victory was enough to keep me going.
I don't get how Comcast would be your ONLY choice for internet. Where do you live?

Raistlin

I can imagine Sony not following through on a stricter Comcast DRM requirement knowing that DLNA CVP2 certification is coming.

My understanding is that Sony must prove the PS3 and PS4 meet DRM standards which is usually done by a third party that provides middleware routines. Further, it's my understanding that while the HBO GO program had DRM, it was not embedded as Playready DRM hadn't been implemented for the PS3 yet. The PS4 doesn't have Trustzone EMBEDDED DRM till it uses the Southbridge IPTV routines and that isn't till after Firmware 2.5.
You very well could be right, but it seems quite odd. Why would Comcast's requirements be so much stricter than its competitors, particularly for something like HBO Go? The majority of providers that support HBO Go seem fine with the DRM Sony is providing.

That's where this seems weird, and why the questions of console exclusivity have always come up.

Raistlin

I don't get how Comcast would be your ONLY choice for internet. Where do you live?
Unfortunately there are plenty of areas that only have one cable provider.

DSL is typically available as well, but in many areas it is simply not suitable for VOD usage.

Pyrokai

I'm so glad I dropped cable a few years ago now. Comcast can go suck a bag of dicks.

How do you get Internet in your home? I would prefer to get Internet without ever, ever using a cable company and I want to know your secret.

This is true for a lot of people. Even in my area that has a good amount of choice, my apartment complex is only wired for Time Warner. I literally have no other choice save for moving away...which I can't do right now.

Carnby

It's not as clear cut as you're making it out to be. Yes, in principle this is a fundamentally different situation than the one the FCC was thinking about when it drafted the Title II decision, but the fact that some devices have access to the service and others don't does bring some wrinkles to the situation. They're discriminating between different devices, which does go against Net Neutrality.

You're going to see a lot of exceptions made for certain ISP providers. Net Neutrality isn't going to make any drastic changes.

Berordn

It's not uncommon for newly constructed subdivisions/housing complexes to sign a contract for exclusive service (usually included in an HoA fee/agreement). And if Comcast has been on a buying spree in that area and purchasing smaller companies to add to their footprint, they may have very well assimilated the competition.

I have only Comcast internet and no cable tv service. I refuse to pay for cable tv, my brother does have dish network with HBO though so I should be good to use the app on my PS4. As far as internet goes in my area it's either AT&T or Comcast and AT&T service is so crappy regarding speed and stability. I heard we could be getting Google fiber in my area within a few years though so l hope that passes threw.

jWILL253

Banned
Yeah, this doesn't violate net neutrality.

But, I think the better question is: at what point does this become racketeering? Because this seems like racketeering...

Raistlin

You're going to see a lot of exceptions made for certain ISP providers. Net Neutrality isn't going to make any drastic changes.
No I don't think you will. But it doesn't matter since I've seen no evidence this falls under net neutrality legislation to begin with.

Yeah, this doesn't violate net neutrality.

But, I think the better question is: at what point does this become racketeering? Because this seems like racketeering...
Oh come on. How is this racketeering?

I am really waiting for all the streaming TV services Jeff Rigby has been talking about to jump off. He got me hyped regarding the direction consoles are going with that. I really would much rather stream my tv then pay for cable.

vazel

Banned
Similarly, Verizon FiOS (at least what their service reps have told me) require me to rent their internet modem... which is bullshit. I was thinking of switching to FiOS now that its available in my area, but both companies have trade offs. I hate Comcast, nonetheless I've got internet only through them, without renting any of their equipment.
You can buy Verizon's routers off their site, or buy cheaper secondhand units off eBay.

Raistlin

Similarly, Verizon FiOS (at least what their service reps have told me) require me to rent their internet modem... which is bullshit. I was thinking of switching to FiOS now that its available in my area, but both companies have trade offs. I hate Comcast, nonetheless I've got internet only through them, without renting any of their equipment.
You can purchase modems from Verizon (or other vendors), you don't have to rent.

Their fiber set up simply has specific hardware requirements (MoCA, etc) that limits what routers can be used if you want TV service.

Harmen

thumber

Hehe, first thing that came to mind.

cyress8

Banned
Oh man, the moment, the exact fucking second there's a direct cable internet competitor to Comcast in my area, they can fuck right off with their shit. I am so done with Comcast but it's them or nothing. It's disgusting.
Doing the same. I check monthly on Cspire to see if they started laying fiber in my neighborhood. 1gig connection is going to be sweet.

Raistlin

While I'm glad this is getting press and I hope Comcast gets shamed ... can someone explain why this general argument is only now getting attention?

Where were the people complaining about providers not granting access on Roku or other devices? And if the answer is that this thread is on the gaming side ...

... where the hell has everyone been regarding HBO Go Comcast on the PS3? Why haven't people been bitching for years about that? Or how about the Xfinity app not being on any Sony platforms?

While I'm glad this is getting press and I hope Comcast gets shamed ... can someone explain why this general argument is only now getting attention?

Where were the people complaining about providers not granting access on Roku or other devices? And if the answer is that this thread is on the gaming side ...

... where the hell has everyone been regarding HBO Go Comcast on the PS3? Why haven't people been bitching for years about that? Or how about the Xfinity app not being on any Sony platforms?
They have been bitching.
Just not on this forum I guess.

Comcast blocked NFL redzone on the XB1 in a similar fashion. Was completely baffled that there was a list of 200 some ISPs on the login screen and Comcast/Xfinity wasn't one of them. I remember running through the entire list twice because I thought there was no way that could be the case. Fuck comcast. Unfortunately, they are the only provider in my area offering actual "broadband" speeds.

Raistlin

They have been bitching.
Just not on this forum I guess.
Oh I know people in general, I just mean gaf specifically. It's weird
more like sad
it took an article by gamespot to actually get a coordinated bitch-fest here.

As for the direction this thread took, that blame squarely rests on gamespot's shitty writing. By incorrectly framing it as 'blocking' access, the conversation has unfortunately spiraled into net neutrality discussions ... which this is not at all tied to.

Hoo-doo

Banned
That's insane. It sounds like it should be completely illegal.
Even more insane is that people are fucking stuck with Comcast in some areas.

Over here there are over 20 different providers for me to choose from and none will ever pull any of this fuckery because they'd lose customers with the quickness.

Majanew

Banned
I hate Comcast. I either stick with them or I go back to AT&T that I had years ago that I hated back then. Both have bandwidth caps and charge bullshit prices for their speeds. Internet in the US is a fucking joke.

Raistlin

Sure, but I already own a Motorola surfboard and netgear nighthawk router. I can't justify buying new equipment when what I currently have is quality.
Do you use TV through FiOS? The issue is those routers do not support MoCA to my knowledge.

The 'problem' is how fiber TV works. In order for TV services like the guide, VOD, etc to work, the router needs to support MoCA to properly package the extra info IIRC. Plus I assume some of the features are custom.

If you want to use both, you can bridge - http://www.verizon.com/support/resi...peed/networking/setup/questionsone/123765.htm

If you really want to get rid of using the Verizon hardware entirely, you can actually do that. You just lose VOD, searchable guide, etc. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...verizon-fios-router-with-a-third-party-router

purg3

slept with Malkin
It's not uncommon for newly constructed subdivisions/housing complexes to sign a contract for exclusive service (usually included in an HoA fee/agreement). And if Comcast has been on a buying spree in that area and purchasing smaller companies to add to their footprint, they may have very well assimilated the competition.

Exactly, my condo building is wired specifically for comcast. Although I believe we are supposed to get fios as an option later this spring. But for years, I've been stuck with comcast as my only option.

Top Bottom