• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO orders Cold War Spy Drama, Aaron Paul In Talks To Star

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akia

HBO Orders Charles Randolph Cold War Spy Drama Pilot; Aaron Paul In Talks To Star

EXCLUSIVE: HBO has given a pilot order to Cold War spy drama The Missionary. Emmy-winning Breaking Bad co-star Aaron Paul is in talks for the lead in the project, from film/TV writer Charles Randolph (The Interpreter) and producer Stephen Levinson as well as best-selling author Malcolm Gladwell and frequent Levinson collaborator Mark Wahlberg.

Set in Berlin in the late 1960s, The Missionary, written by Randolph, centers on a young American missionary (Paul) who becomes involved with the CIA. Randolph and New Yorker writer Gladwell, who are friends, had been working on an idea for a spy project when they met with Levinson and Wahlberg, who also had been looking to do a spy drama. The four joined forces and last fall took the project to HBO, where Levinson and Wahlberg have produced four series: Boardwalk Empire, Entourage, In Treatment and How To Make It In America. Randolph, Levinson, Gladwell and Wahlberg executive produce The Missionary, which HBO is producing in association with Levinson’s Leverage and Wahlberg’s Closest to the Hole Prods. The Missionary is the second Cold War-era cable spy drama pilot ordered this year, along with FX’s The Americans, about undercover KGB spies in the U.S. played by Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys. At HBO, it joins another period drama, Prohibition mob series Boardwalk Empire, also executive produced by Levinson and Wahlberg.

aaron-paul1.jpg

link:http://www.deadline.com/2012/06/hbo...-spy-drama-pilot-aaron-paul-in-talks-to-star/

Paul is an incredible performer. His emotional scenes in Breaking Bad are incredible. I would watch an HBO spy thriller anyway, but Paul being the lead clinches it.

Makoto

"Yo, Mr. White when we gonna spy again, bitch."
"I don't KNOW, Jesse. I'm just trying to provide for my country. CANT YOU UNDERSTAND THAT"

dabig2

"Hammer and sickle this, bitch!" *grabs nuts*

Aaron Paul is a great actor. Him in an HBO period piece is greaaaaaat news.

This will force me to acknowledge that Breaking Bad is coming to an end.

What the fuck am I going to do when BB and Mad Men are both over? I don't want to live in such a cruel world.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Aaron Paul as a missionary?

lol

sounds awesome

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I've never seen anything by Charles Randolph, but Aaron Paul has my attention. Hopefully everything around him is up to snuff.

Meier

Crossing my fingers this happens. Love this dude. Makes me wonder if he's going to die in the upcoming season though..

Haven't seen Breaking Bad yet so I can't say this guy playing the lead excites me, but by everyone's reactions it looks like it's a good thing. Hope it turns out well.

- Benjamin Walker Set As The Lead Of HBO’s Cold War Drama Pilot ‘Missionary’
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter star Benjamin Walker has been cast as the lead of HBO’s Cold War spy drama pilot The Missionary, from film/TV writer Charles Randolph, producers Stephen Levinson and Mark Wahlberg and author Malcolm Gladwell. Set in Berlin in the late 1960s, The Missionary centers on Roy (Walker), a young American missionary who gets caught up in Cold War intrigue while helping a young woman escape East Berlin. Baltasar Kormakur is directing.

Missionary, written by Randolph, was greenlighted to pilot in June. At the time, Breaking Bad star Aaron Paul was in talks for the lead but he eventually couldn’t commit to the project, which will be filming in Europe. Randolph and New Yorker writer Gladwell, who are friends, had been working on an idea for a spy project when they met with Levinson and Wahlberg, who also had been looking to do a spy drama. The four joined forces and last fall took the project to HBO, where Levinson and Wahlberg have produced four series: Boardwalk Empire, Entourage, In Treatment and How To Make It In America. Randolph, Levinson, Gladwell and Wahlberg executive produce The Missionary, which HBO is producing in association with Levinson’s Leverage and Wahlberg’s Closest to the Hole Prods. The Missionary is the second Cold War-era cable spy drama pilot this year, along with FX’s The Americans, starring Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys, which has already been picked up to series. Feature and stage actor Walker, repped by WME and Inspire Entertainment, is best known for playing the title role in this year’s Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. He also appeared in Kinsey and Clint Eastwood’s Flags of Our Fathers.

5xTPY.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom