• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO Original | The Last of Us | Part 1 OT | Endure & Survive

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
great episode

Quoting doesn't seem to be working for me.

Anyways, it was a passing, powerful moment. Sorry if I didn't capture Joel and Tess accurately. But for game only players, it's really glossed over that Joel has the capactity to be a monster. I was just trying to point that out.

Marvel14

Banned
Sure, good luck with that..

graph-from-scott-wing-620px.png

Couldn't disagree any more. Same difference that goes from reading a good book on your own with your S tier imagination (game) vs being vocally read an altered version of the book while being provided with pre-made illustrations on every page (live-action).

TV series so far is entirely devoid of all the environmental storytelling, the vast landscapes of the beauty of nature reclaiming the planet juxtaposed to the decaying humanity, all the subtleties going on step by step while traversing from point A to point B etc. etc. I mean as far as the intimate experience TLOU is supposed to be the game is light years ahead and things are only going to get worse as the series progresses given it's going to completely lack the organic personal bonding provided by the interactive format, which plays the primary role in the entire third and best act.
You do realise that humans have only flourished in the last few mm at the right most part of your graph (not visible on this scale ) when climate variability has moderated massively right?

And now we're in a process of upsetting that moderate equilibrium. You're making my point for me. Even if the climate is destined to vary once more, the pace of change is critical. We can adapt to a major warming or cooling if it happens over thousands of years. If the pace of change quickens because of all the gasses we've chucked into the atmosphere we may very well be royally screwed.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
wow this episode was amazing. Was it directed by Druckman himself? the change they made to the infected / tess scene was unexpexted but... I liked it. Slightly creepier vibe, would love to know what made them adjust how the virus spreads because it would have been easy to stick to spores so it makes me think there is a few more twists in the pipe coming.

This feels more like a directors cut of the game or something, and I'm here for it all so far. Overall so far the show has enhanced the horror elements.The clickers are fucking terrifying, my other half was squirming in her seat way more than when she was playing the game.

Makeup as you would expect from HBO is just another level.

Fools idol

Banned
Yep - Druckmanns TV directorial debut.

And yea the infected are done by none other than the legendary Barrie Gower. Same guy who did Vecna in Stranger Things 4

tmp_dHSXvl_01ca6ce71c262eb0_StrangerThings_StrangerThings4_4_01_11_32_10.jpg

Clickers-In-HBOs-The-Last-Of-Us.jpg

Fuccccccck damn that thing is horrible. Amazing work.

What is funny to me is that during season 4 of ST I constantly thought to myself how good the visual body horror effects were and how amazing it would be to see that in an adaption of TLOU andh ere we fucking are. Lol

Yoboman

I think the show runners are the best version of them

In the game they are basically just fast zombies in stage 1. The mouth tendril shit they have got going on is so creepy and works well as the first stage of the infection

Fools idol

Banned
Really great show so far. Impressed.

Bella nails Ellie perfectly. I really like Pedro's Joel, but it is a different Joel from the one I perceived/imagined when playing the game.
As with Tyrion in the GoT books, a great character made even better when on screen. I think he's done a good job. Keen to see how he develops as we all know what is coming later on.

Ulysses 31

Mutually beneficial companionship but Tess is in charge and that's ok. Maria is also in charge of their community, Marlene is in charge of the firefly. The leader of the Seraphite in part 2 is a woman. A major theme of the game is powerful women. The only reason why Joel is even on that mission is because Tess told him to as her dying wish. No dynamic is always 50/50. And i don't understand why people are bent out of shape that women are in charge.
Joel generally follows her lead when it comes to the connections/deals stuff(which is a lot screentime, I admit) but there were moments when Tess looked at Joel to see if he agrees. So it might more like be 40/60 in the game where as in the show it seemed more like 20/80 with Tess being in charge. Like I said, I'd need to see how much of the story is affected by the change before I make up my mind if it was a good/bad/unnecessary change.

I don't mind seeing women in charge but if it becomes a pattern then I will suspect it's some sort of theme with the writer(s) and ideology driven.

Last edited:

ikbalCO

Done with second episode.

Hoped not killing Tess off is one of the changes they made to show since anna torv is fucking amazing.

Really she is so good that bella and pedro feels like cosplay.

Last edited:
Loved the episode, especially that zombie kiss at the end, super creepy :D Only thing I didn't like were too much forced 'fucks' thrown around. Only one that made sense to me was when ellie said fuck you to Joel.

Done with second episode.

Hope not killing Tess off is one of the changes they made to show since anna torv is fucking amazing.

Really she is so good that bella and pedro feels like cosplay.

Didn't they just kill her off in this episode?

Last edited:

Gaelyon

Gold Member
Joel generally follows her lead when it comes to the connection/deals stuff(which is a lot screentime, I admit) but there were moments when Tess looked at Joel to see if he agrees. So it might more like be 40/60 in the game where as in the show it seemed more like 20/80 with Tess being in charge. Like I said, I'd need to see how much of the story is affected by the change before I make up my mind if it was good/bad/unnecessary change.

I don't mind seeing women in charge but if it becomes a pattern then I will suspect it's some sort of theme with the writer(s) and ideology driven.
And if it was men being in charge as a pattern would you suspect some sort of theme with the writers and ideology driven ?

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
wow this episode was amazing. Was it directed by Druckman himself? the change they made to the infected / tess scene was unexpexted but... I liked it. Slightly creepier vibe, would love to know what made them adjust how the virus spreads because it would have been easy to stick to spores so it makes me think there is a few more twists in the pipe coming.

This feels more like a directors cut of the game or something, and I'm here for it all so far. Overall so far the show has enhanced the horror elements.The clickers are fucking terrifying, my other half was squirming in her seat way more than when she was playing the game.

Watch the inside the episode clip to get your explanation about the virus changes.

This was a fantastic episode. The clicker scene was absolutely perfect in every way.

Ulysses 31

And if it was men being in charge as a pattern would you suspect some sort of theme with the writers and ideology driven ?
In communities where men and women are considered equal I would expect to eventually see a woman in charge.

If it's a position that requires them to use a lot of brute strength then it would be less likely to see a woman in that position.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
In communities where men and women are considered equal I would expect to eventually see a woman in charge.

If it's a position that requires them to use a lot of brute strength then it would be less likely to see a woman in that position.
Yeah we all get it, you're very concerned and if there's too much strong women in the show it's obviously a political woke feminist agenda right ?

Ulysses 31

Yeah we all get it, you're very concerned and if there's too much strong women in the show it's obviously a political woke feminist agenda right ?
If that's the ideology of the producers, they're free to inject things into their shows that validate their world view, as long as the story doesn't suffer too much because of it.

BaneIsPain

Like the last episode, it is still a solid episode, and I like the introduction. All additions so far are not intrusive, although I would say the ending is executed better in the game than tv. Hats of for the tv vibes make me want to play TLOU again after this episode.

Ar¢tos

Great episode. It looks like ep 3 will expand on Joel and Bill and how they interacted with each other. Maybe it will even show why Bill owed Joel “a favor”.
Looking at imdb both Bill and Frank are listed for 4 episodes. Frank basically wasn't in the game (just a corpse in a scene) and Bill presence was very short too. Are they using the show as a way to to explore what wasn't seen in the game via flashbacks? (I hate shows with constant flashbacks)

Ulysses 31

And yet you're the one concerned that having some strong women in charge in a post apo world is somewhat unrealistic and pushing a political agenda.
Had more to do with the quantity that made it a bit unbelievable for me. If it's not a big story focus or there's believable lore reasons for it in an otherwise well told story then I can easily overlook it.

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned

Let‘s be honest here, in a genuine post-apocalyptic, low-tech scenario, women would have a similar role in society as they had for all of human history prior to the 20th century. Most post-apocalyptic media assumes humanity would just maintain the social structures of the time the movie/book/game was written, which I find a bit silly. Sure, you get lots of violence, brutal militias, or crazy cults, but it‘s always just generic evil behavior, and almost never an exploration of social values and priorities that are genuinely different from our current age. I can’t really think of any examples of post-apocalyptic fiction where humans have re-adopted feudal structures for example, where men who are good at violence are celebrated in the same way as medieval knights were, or where the surviving population fractured along racial or ethnic lines.

I don’t even think this is always a conscious decision by the writers; I think most of them simply can’t even imagine that society would ever disregard modern social structures, even under post-apocalyptic conditions.

digdug2

There is something strange about watching the main stream media and masses find out about this forehead sweat inducing, gem of an ip, us gamers have cherished since 2013.
For sure. I have been telling my dad about The Last Of Us for nearly a decade. He isn't a gamer and has had no desire to pick up a controller since the NES, so it's incredibly rad that he's getting to experience this now for the first time.

Ulysses 31

Let‘s be honest here, in a genuine post-apocalyptic, low-tech scenario, women would have a similar role in society as they had for all of human history prior to the 20th century. Most post-apocalyptic media assumes humanity would just maintain the social structures of the time the movie/book/game was written, which I find a bit silly. Sure, you get lots of violence, brutal militias, or crazy cults, but it‘s always just generic evil behavior, and almost never an exploration of social values and priorities that are genuinely different from our current age. I can’t really think of any examples of post-apocalyptic fiction where humans have re-adopted feudal structures for example, where men who are good at violence are celebrated in the same way as medieval knights were, or where the surviving population fractured along racial or ethnic lines.

I don’t even think this is always a conscious decision by the writers; I think most of them simply can’t even imagine that society would ever disregard modern social structures, even under post-apocalyptic conditions.
I suspect social standards will greatly regress in a lot of instances with the only thing mattering is if you're useful or a liability/burden. It could happen that a strong community survives and is able to maintain these "more civilized" social standards but those should rare.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
The intro in this episode was masterful. The acting from the lady who played the professor Ibu was amazing

The clickers were also done really well, that scene was nerve wrenching

Good job to both Craig Mazin and Neil Druckmann

Yoboman

Gotta give Druckmann some real credit here. Directing horror must be among the hardest in film making. He absolutely nailed the scenes with the clickers and throughout the museum. But also that more foreboding tension that was all over the first 5 minutes.

And to pull out a 9+ IMDB episode your first time. The guy is nothing less than extremely talented at anything he does it seems

Hugare

I'm baffled by people preffering Tess death on the show

The whole bombastic, "hero" death with a huge explosion was cringe. Her having a pathetic death with some FEDRA guys was so much better.

Also, why she didnt use one of the many grenades on the floor? Maybe using one at the "kiss" scene.

Trying to light up the lighter when infected were already there was goofy

And the whole "infected are all conected" is a little eh ... to much, even for a franchise with zombies, imo

To think that touching some vine on the ground would alert all infected in the area ...

Still a good episode, but the first one was so much better

The director said some things work for games and some dont. For example spores in real world dont make sense because, if its in the air then its in the air, everyone should be infected, cant be in the air in just a tiny part of the building.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Joel generally follows her lead when it comes to the connections/deals stuff(which is a lot screentime, I admit) but there were moments when Tess looked at Joel to see if he agrees. So it might more like be 40/60 in the game where as in the show it seemed more like 20/80 with Tess being in charge. Like I said, I'd need to see how much of the story is affected by the change before I make up my mind if it was a good/bad/unnecessary change.

She leads the conversation with Robert's men

Man - "Bitch, I will bash your skull unless you turn around and get your dumb ass outta here."
Tess - "Fuck this."

Dialog between Joel and Tess on the way to Robert.

Joel - "Be careful."
Tess - "When am I not?"

Joel - "Ladies first."
Tess - "Lady? You must be thinking of someone else."

Tess - "Get your ass up here. Let's move
Joel - "Bossy today."

*Tess shoots the man in the head*

Joel - "Who was that?"
Tess - "An old headache. Don't ask.

Tess leads the conversation with Robert
Robert - "We ain't got fuckin' nothin' to talk about."
Tess - "Put your gun down."

Joel doesn't say anything.

Tess again leads the conversation and kills Robert.

Robert - "C'mon. Fuck those Fireflies. Let's go get 'em."
Tess - "That is a stupid idea."

*Tess kills Robert.*

Tess leads the conversation with Marlene when she finds out they're smuggling Ellie.

Tess - "Speaking of which - where are they?"
Marlene - "Back at our camp."
Tess - "We're not smuggling shit until I see them."

-------------

Tess was obviously more "in charge" in the game in comparison to the actual TV show.

You should try playing the game again.

Top Bottom