• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO president on the Deadwood movie: "it’s going to happen"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for posting that. Im wondering if thats it and it was a quote rather than a video
KuGsj.gif
. I feel like I saw him say it in motion, but I'm getting old, maybe I read it. Thanks a ton for the link!

there was also this video essay that Matt Zoller Seitz wrote and Jim Beaver narrated for the 10 year anniversary of the show. probably not what you were referring to, but still

http://www.rogerebert.com/mzs/a-lie-agreed-upon-david-milchs-deadwood

https://vimeo.com/88681835

Jonm1010

Banned
I still think the middle of season 2 drags on a bit, but man I really want this to happen.

It does. And there are a few things I could pick apart in season 3 after watching the series three or four times now.

Still lands as probably my favorite show of all time along with The Wire.

Dr Prob

Banned
This is what Milch had to say in the 2006 Deadwood book (which is very good btw; he's an interesting fellow):

David Milch said:
Next year, in lieu of a fourth, twelve-episode season, Deadwood will end with two two -hour specials. Probably I had too much to do with the process to offer any fair-minded account of how that decision was come to. I'll take that as pretext for staying with vapid generalities. Here is an example: "There are no enforceable guarantees about anything that really matters."

I've been quoted as saying I had a plan to end the series at the end of a fourth full season. As a sociopath, I answer the questions of interviewers to achieve an impression of cogency and farsightedness rather than hewing slavishly to the truth.

The truth is, I never had a master plan for Deadwood. I know good stories about many of the historical characters in the series that would take them through another twenty-five years, and good ones, too, about the characters I've made up. But as I've said here, I work moment-to-moment; this includes acknowledging the variability of opportunity each moment affords. The present moment appears to exclude the twenty-five year alternative.

The two two-hour specials will be a good way to finish the series. The first thirty-six episodes took an Aristotelian approach to dramatic structure—more-or-less, each story took place in twenty-four hours. This seemed to me in service to creating an atmosphere of ordinariness, no matter how disjunctive with the viewer's idea of ordinariness the events portrayed might have seemed. These last two telefilms will deal differently with time.

If I've already said in these pages before that Mister Warren called Time the secret subject of every story worth telling, I don't mind ending by saying it again.

ryan299

They should just do another series or mini series on hbo. Entourage was a dud in theaters and I don't see Deadwood being a big performer.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
They should just do another series or mini series on hbo. Entourage was a dud in theaters and I don't see Deadwood being a big performer.

They are not talking about a theatrical release when they say movie, they are talking about length.

bengraven

Oh, our bi-annual Deadwood might be restored thread?

z212456385.gif

I know it looks more realistic, but I don't want my heart played with. And yes, Carnivale, but I would be happy with a series of books in that regard. God, no, I want a series. Quit being an ass HBO.

Edit:

And what about the potential scheduling nightmare that awaits trying to corral the show’s busy, in-demand cast? “I’m going to leave that in David’s hands,” Lombardo says with a smile. “He’s confident he will be able to.

“The cast is unbelievably [tight],” he adds. “Some casts and creators form a bond that becomes relevant for the rest of their lives. This was a defining moment for a lot of them.”

tumblr_m4n54n8xcD1qca6mzo3_500.gif

Well well, this looks promising.

Promise me this time HBO?

tumblr_lzcxlljWpY1qdrcyyo3_250.gif

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I really want this, but Richardson is dead, apparently Merrick is a paedophile(!?) and the cast in general will be so much older, McShane especially.

I wonder if he'll try bringing back Dillahunt in some role.

bengraven

Had to wait until Justified was off air and Ian wasn't doing any mini-series or failed first run series.

I'm okay with this.

Is this a fucking SEASON? Or a mini-series? Or movie?

Ellsworth. :(

bengraven

Would be nice to give the best TV show ever made a fitting conclusion.

I still like the feeling of
"we survived". Survived government takeover, survived Hearst. Everyone was beaten badly, but most are still around, licking their wounds. Survivors. And then you have Swearengen looking out over his empire in that last shot.
Actually makes me emotional just thinking about it.

But still, yeah, it won't be right if we never see (history spoilers lol)
Swearengen knifed Caeser-like in a railyard, penniless.

As long as none of the theater people are included, I'll be interested.

I think that and the N- General are just parts of the extended whimsy of Milch. Well, the general and the storyline with the racist asshole taking over the horses were those things that Milch is like "I like you, let's do a scene with you, give me a second to write it". Then again the theater was a bit more put together to be whimsy, but it wasn't necessary, especially in a season they should have been worried was their last.

It's weird, there's been about two pages worth of people trying to start threads about the news, but the actual thread with the news in it is barely two pages.

Motherfuckers might have waited too damn long after all.

I would take this or I'd be ok without it. It feels like it's been too long now and I don't really know what a shorter movie is going to do that a new season wouldn't have been batter at.

Denzar

Yeah, I'll need a rewatch. It's only been a year since I've seen it, but I can't seem to remember half of it.

Al Swearengen is one of the best characters in television history.

Josh5890

I just read the news. I am so hyped beyond all belief. It's been four or five years since I watched my blu-ray collection so I'll give it another whirl but I'll be damned I never thought it would happen. A true ending for Deadwood felt like Half Life 3 to me.

I wanted to post this the other day when I read about it but I'm still a junior so no go. Anytime I've ever heard of more deadwood I've gotten incredibly excited only to be disappointed again but this time....this time it's going to happen. Book it!!

Jonm1010

Banned
saw this on twitter just now

jk1Teic.png

Hold me lol.

No TV Series cancellation ever hit me as hard as this one.

And the stringing along by HBO with promises of a reconciliation and better closure made me feel like some sort of broken hearted significant other. Who's ex keeps stringing them along with false promises to keep them lingering.

Just finished watching this. Why was it canceled? Were the ratings bad? I read it was over money. Almost as bad as Firefly ending after just one season. The show got better and better with each season. And damn that series finale ended in such a shit way imho.

Just finished watching this. Why was it canceled? Were the ratings bad? I read it was over money. Almost as bad as Firefly ending after just one season. The show got better and better with each season. And damn that series finale ended in such a shit way imho.
Deadwood and Carievale were both canceled and both were excellent. HBO was ahead of the times, the world was not ready for such amazing TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom