• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO president on the Deadwood movie: "it’s going to happen"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cipherr

Just finished watching this. Why was it canceled? Were the ratings bad? I read it was over money. Almost as bad as Firefly ending after just one season. The show got better and better with each season. And damn that series finale ended in such a shit way imho.

I felt the same way after watching this show. It was fantastic. Hard to imagine a network wanting to cancel it when lesser shows have come and gone.

CloudWolf

Just finished watching this. Why was it canceled? Were the ratings bad? I read it was over money. Almost as bad as Firefly ending after just one season. The show got better and better with each season. And damn that series finale ended in such a shit way imho.

Deadwood, Carnivàle, Rome. Three shows HBO had to end early due to low ratings and high budgets. Game of Thrones is the first really high budget HBO show that's actually finished.

Jonm1010

Banned
Carnivale, Rome and Deadwood got caught up in HBO's moment of temporary insanity.

Right before they began to recognize first run viewing numbers should not be the be all, end all to determining a shows value in the emerging DVD, on-demamd, DVR era. Before they put a value on prestige and reputation as factors for subscriptions and maintaining them. Before they gave shows 2 seasons almost at a minimum to gain an audience(carnivale). They have gone on record saying they fucked up and GoT is actually kind of a make up for Rome. Which they said had they factored in the way they do now, it would of never been cancelled.

AND it was a period where HBO.went through a moment of cheapness. Running away from their growing reputation. They wanted a network full of Sex and the City, Entourage type shows. Budget shows(relatively speaking) that had mass appeal.

It was a shame because when you factor in The Wire(which escaped the HBO axe miraculously) it really was their golden period of dramas and they killed them. And have never been able to replicate what they threw away since.

Ian McShane says the word "cocksucker" better than any other actor.
Wu.jpg

I wish I could make that facebook smiley with the hearts for eyes right now.

Regarding the third season finale, I was OK with it. Everybody gets at least mild sociopathic tendencies in hard times. Or so I believe.

It spoke volumes as to the world that the show was set in.

DKehoe

Carnivale, Rome and Deadwood got caught up in HBO's moment of temporary insanity.

Right before they began to recognize first run viewing numbers should not be the be all, end all to determining a shows value in the emerging DVD, on-demamd, DVR era. Before they put a value on prestige and reputation as factors for subscriptions and maintaining them. Before they gave shows 2 seasons almost at a minimum to gain an audience(carnivale). They have gone on record saying they fucked up and GoT is actually kind of a make up for Rome. Which they said had they factored in the way they do now, it would of never been cancelled.

I remember reading the creator of Carnivale saying he was told by people at HBO that they thought it could get better ratings than The Sopranos. It seems like HBO were insanely confident at that time. I love Carnivale but expecting it be bigger than The Sopranos is baffling.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The backtracking has begun:

Programming president Casey Bloys noted that Deadwood creator David Milch is “writing the script,” adding, “We haven’t read it yet. I imagine it will be very good. I feel good about it… But I can’t tell you that [it’s happening] for sure.”

lol

LaneDS

I'm unable to read these quotes from Bloys in this thread and the Game of Thrones thread without hearing them in Trump's voice.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Deadwood Revival Script 'Has Been Delivered to HBO,' Says Ian McShane

Series creator David Milch’s “two-hour movie script has been delivered to HBO,” Ian McShane reveals to TVLine exclusively, before adding with a laugh, “If they don’t deliver [a finished product], blame them.”

McShane, who has a starring role in Starz’ American Gods (premiering April 30), says he’s spoken to Milch “about some of” the script. “I’ll be seeing him for lunch [soon],” he continues. “We’d all love to do it… It would be nice to see all of the old gang again.”

BigDug13

I hope this happens. I've been putting off a rewatch because I'm still pissed about how they ended it or basically left it hanging.

As much as I want this I sometimes think the ending was perfect as it was. Ending spoiler:
The bad guys won just like they do in real life.

As much as I want this I sometimes think the ending was perfect as it was. Ending spoiler:
The bad guys won just like they do in real life.

i think the ending is perfect too, and i don't really need any more. at the same time i feel bad for Milch and the cast and everyone else involved, who all still feel like the work that they were super proud of was left unfinished

also i'd happily settle for just reading that script if HBO doesn't end up producing it

Davey Cakes

Glad to know that the script is good. The thought of more Deadwood is genuinely exciting to me. I'd rather have more Deadwood than have more GoT or Westworld, if we're talking about HBO shows.

Spaghetti

Seems like this is as good a place as any...

Deadwood GAF, I don't want to be the asshole who asks "when does X get good?", but I'd like to know if there's an identifiable point where if it hasn't gripped me yet I should just stop watching.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Deadwood GAF, I don't want to be the asshole who asks "when does X get good?", but I'd like to know if there's an identifiable point where if it hasn't gripped me yet I should just stop watching.

How far are you?

It's only three seasons and i thought it was good and gripping throughout. How much have you watched?

The first scene of the first episode. I'm not even being facetious.

Spaghetti

How far are you?

It's only three seasons and i thought it was good and gripping throughout. How much have you watched?

The first scene of the first episode. I'm not even being facetious.
Episode four, first season. It's growing on me enough to keep going for a few more episodes, but I dunno about beyond that.

I'm coming from a six month marathon of contemporary crime drama watching Oz for the first time, rewatching The Wire for the second time, and rewatching The Sopranos for the third time; so maybe the setting is just throwing me off.

I'd watch all of season 1 and drop it if you aren't feeling it.

It's not really a show that greatly improves or anything. Most people would say season 2 > season 1 > season 3 in overall rankings.

ubique

Oh look a new tweet talking about the Deadwood movie. Maybe the script is a collection of the tweets from cast and crew talking about it

Episode four, first season. It's growing on me enough to keep going for a few more episodes, but I dunno about beyond that.

I'm coming from a six month marathon of contemporary crime drama watching Oz for the first time, rewatching The Wire for the second time, and rewatching The Sopranos for the third time; so maybe the setting is just throwing me off.

The first episode of the second season is the high water mark for me.

gun_haver

Eh, the first season took a little while to hook me. I don't blame anybody who isn't sold immediately.

The dialogue is pretty intricate right from the start. It isn't something you can just let wash over you, really, you need to be paying pretty close attention or a lot of it will just completely slip past you and even if you do understand what is going on, you might not have caught why, and so on.

Deadwood is pretty unique as far as TV shows go for that reason. I think even in a time where high quality TV shows are doing well, Deadwood was probably too good, because while it's got more to offer in terms of character and theme than any TV show I can think of, you need to work along with the show to experience it. Others shows which are more visceral, like Breaking Bad, don't ask that of you so the audience for it is wider. Even something like The Wire will really beat you over the head with the theme to make sure you understand what it is about even if you aren't following every plot detail.

I'd like to think if Deadwood premiered now that it would do better - people go online and have the details of episodes spelled out to them on commentary websites and social media, so if you didn't get something, there would be a chance you would get sucked back into the story that way. I dunno though, I think it's just that Deadwood's audience was limited by the fact you had to be smart and attentive to even understand the show most of the time. Maybe if it had a lower budget from the start, it could've lasted longer.

In my opinion, if Deadwood had more time, it could of been the GOAT Show

it would of surpassed The Sopranos, Breaking Bad and even The Wire

the writing on this show was pure ace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom