• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HDLOADER - Found Impressions

Yusaku

It sure would've been nice if the FAPLink guys would've mentioned the fact that it doesn't support games bigger than 2GB, making it useless for like 90% of games.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Yusaku said:
It sure would've been nice if the FAPLink guys would've mentioned the fact that it doesn't support games bigger than 2GB, making it useless for like 90% of games.

Hah, that sucks. I simply wouldn't use it cause the thing is slow as hell

Okay it looks like I wont be losing sleeping if I didn't figure out how to use FAPLink, but it would have been nice for transferring emulators or homebrew demos... Marconelly got me intrigued.

Yusaku

For emulators and crap use ExectFTP, not FAPLink.

Warrio, FAPLink is still faster and more convenient than freaking transfering the HD into a PC and doing it there.

<G> said:
Zer0-X has just released an experimental win32 executable patcher for HDLoader that should allow for larger hard drives to be used with HDLoader. The patcher uses Clement's modified ps2atad.irx
Get more info and the download from this thread

In addition to that great hack he has released a method for v9/10/11 users to manually patch their HDLoader elf so there is no need to have a disc in their tray when HDLoader is started up. You can get more info on this neat hack at this thread

Once again big thanks to Zer0-X for all of his great hdloader hacks. :D
looks like the hdloader really does still live on

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Defensor said:
The HDD will get hot and could pose a problem in the longterm scenario. I would get a fan like you are doing or buy a PS2 usb fan at some online site or at EB.

I dunno...

The same HDD I had on my PC (external) that I now have in PS2, gets nowhere near hot when in the PS2. I've used it for hours on end and it gets warm at that most. But when I connect it via USB on my PC for 15 minutes to rip a game... Sizzle City!

Question:

Is it possible to take an installed game and transfer it back to the PC and/or another PS2 hard drive?

Miburou

DaCocoBrova said:
I dunno...

The same HDD I had on my PC (external) that I now have in PS2, gets nowhere near hot when in the PS2. I've used it for hours on end and it gets warm at that most. But when I connect it via USB on my PC for 15 minutes to rip a game... Sizzle City!

Question:

Is it possible to take an installed game and transfer it back to the PC and/or another PS2 hard drive?

WinHIIP let's you do that.

DaCocoBrova

Really? How?

I tried the other day and it told me my PC hard drive didn't have a PS2 Master Boot Record. Care to walk me through it?

Also, the IP address info in WinHIIP stays grayed out.

Winhiip.jpg

sun-drop

where can i get a FAQ or tutoril on using HD_Dumb etc ..... even the sites on FAQ page is lacking .... like how for eg do u get the hdld_svr.elf on the ps2 drive.
and how do u format the drive using HD_Dumb? etc etc ...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Miburou said:
Never actually tried it. I was just going by the fact that there's a "Extract Image" feature in WinHIIP.

Yeah, that feature allows you to get the image from the HDD to the PC

I think the IP is grayed out in WinHIIP because network support is not implemented in the current release yet, but the author promises it will be "soon".

DaCocoBrova

Thanks. That explains that...

I'll try doing via the PC and see what happens.

Zer0-X has put up a very interesting command line tool that will update your HDLoader ELF Core to the HDLoader core contained inside of ToxicOS 0.2.
- PS2 Scene

HDLoader update 0.2
Another fancy Windows CommandLine application in the attachment to update your HDLoader with the core from ToxicOS 0.2.

To use it you need to have a "clean" HDLoader that has NOT been patched with 48bit LBA support or any date/time patches. (Skins, fonts, no seek, stop disc, etc. patches shouldn't matter.)

Nothing major like what core 0.3 would be but atleast Soul Calibur 2 and Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow should work without any patches and date/time should be fixed too (which means: DO NOT PATCH WITH HDLPATCH USING 48BIT & DATE/TIME PATCHES AFTER THIS!).
- Zer0-X

looks like there is new life after all, as compatibility has been increased...

wonder how long it'll take a HK company like Success to market these changes as "HDAdvance 3.0"

shuri

Banned
That site is highly hilarious, they get pissed off when their products are hacked, but hacking stuff like hdloader is a-ok with them

tenchir

Just tried out the USBAdvance(ripped version of USBExtreme) on my PS2 and an external 80GB HDD. The good news is that it works....... the bad news is that it is pretty slow. Using USB1.1 pretty much mean you are limited to 12 mbps, which is about 2/3 of what the PS2 DVD drive can stream so movies, audio, or anything that streams will have a lot of skipping. I installed Dynasty Warrior 5 and Kingdom Hearts on the external HDD through the PC and tried to run it on the PS2. It takes like 6-10 seconds to load the game up on the PS2, the movies would skip a lot, but when I just run the game, it had no trouble and was pretty smooth. I heard games that streams a lot like GTA will take 3+ minutes to load up.......

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Using USB1.1 pretty much mean you are limited to 12 mbps, which is about 2/3 of what the PS2 DVD drive can stream
Try more like 1/3.

Although it will depend on game - difference will be larger (% wise) for fast loading games.

ourumov

Will have to check this uo as soon as there is a way to load the USBAdvance from the memory card with no chip.
Been using Hdloader so far to load imports (legit ones, not copies) and it's very useful, but I am tired of having to swap HDD when I want to play (Linux Kit-Games).

ourumov

Well I have the hdloader that loads from the memory card using the infamous exploid. It will only read PAL cds so to put JP games on the HDD I need to use hdldump in the PC. The procedure is as easy as put the PS2 HDD in the PC and use hdldump then simply put the import on the DVD/CD drive and copy it to the HDD. It will appear on the Hdloader menu, you select it and run it :)

oh so it only works for the PAL ps2 and PAL copy of hdloader? I'm NTSC :(

I'm getting sick of having to use Swap Magic then throw my precious JPN games in my poorly installed flip-top case.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
The HDloader is the best thing I've ever bought for my PS2. I'm playing God of War right now and it's not compatible with the HDloader and the constant grinding away that is going on with my PS2 drive is so annoying. I miss being able to play my games in peace. :D

Truelize said:
The HDloader is the best thing I've ever bought for my PS2. I'm playing God of War right now and it's not compatible with the HDloader and the constant grinding away that is going on with my PS2 drive is so annoying. I miss being able to play my games in peace. :D
supposedly, there's a hdl patch for it

Fusebox

Banned
Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm about to order HDAdvance 3.0 and the network adaptor and I have a q.

I don't have a modded PS2 or a slide-tool.

Regarding the linked instructions - if I use step 1 to convert any DVD-9 (whether it be PAL, NTSC, DVD or DVDR) into an ISO and then use step 2 of the HDadvance instructions covering transferring ISOs from my PC using HD Dump will it let me move any imported PS2 DVD or backed up DVDR onto the HD and play them from there? Thereby negating the need for any kind of mod or slide tool?

From http://www.hdadvance.com/hd_advance_how-to-use.htm

Tia. :)

robo_robo

Fusebox said:
Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm about to order HDAdvance 3.0 and the network adaptor and I have a q.

I don't have a modded PS2 or a slide-tool.

Regarding the linked instructions - if I use step 1 to convert any DVD-9 (whether it be PAL, NTSC, DVD or DVDR) into an ISO and then use step 2 of the HDadvance instructions covering transferring ISOs from my PC using HD Dump will it let me move any imported PS2 DVD or backed up DVDR onto the HD and play them from there? Thereby negating the need for any kind of mod or slide tool?

From http://www.hdadvance.com/hd_advance_how-to-use.htm

Tia. :)

Yeah as long as the game is compatible.

Top Bottom