• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HDR comparison shots

Ashhong

The left just looks ugly regardless, and reminds me of what I see in a lot of LEDs these days. My plasma looks more like the right, at least from what I can see in the pictures.

BHK3

Banned
I actually just bought the 65 inch KS8000 tv yesterday, what tips should I follow for the best image. I assume just taking it out of the box and plugging it in with my XBO isn't ideal?

Link for reference

Samsung UN65KS8000 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV (2016 Model) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C5TFNSM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

My Inside-Out Blu Ray has a calibration thing in it's settings, check any disney blu rays you might have.

KyleCross

People need to learn that comparison shots are not going to do HDR justice, in fact it'll make HDR look bad for many people. You quite literally have to see it in person.

Izayoi

Banned
Not sure what the appropriate thread to ask this in would be, so I'm putting it here.

Are OLED TVs good enough now to replace my plasma?

I've been holding on to this thing for ages, but I'm afraid to let it go.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
People need to learn that comparison shots are not going to do HDR justice, in fact it'll make HDR look bad for many people. You quite literally have to see it in person.
Yup. Went to the store, saw the life of pi with the employee switching HDR on and off. It's literally a difference like day and night.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Given it took us a decade to get 10bit color in the entire pipeline* (GPU, signal transmission, monitor), I'm hoping for at least some basic adoption of (read: compliance to) standards along this whole '4K HDR' hoopla.

* posted from a 12bit display and 12bit-capable transmitter, artificially limited to 8bit in drivers.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Any TV can do oversaturated colors. Pretty sure that's not the point of HDR. Isn't the actual benefit that you can have a larger range of color brightness on the screen at the same time? These simulated comparisons don't show that, they just make HDR look like a Samsung phone screen. I prefer natural colors.

Izuna

Banned
Any TV can do oversaturated colors. Pretty sure that's not the point of HDR. Isn't the actual benefit that you can have a larger range of color brightness on the screen at the same time? These simulated comparisons don't show that, they just make HDR look like a Samsung phone screen. I prefer natural colors.

You're right. All these comparison shots are useless.

Note to TV manufacturers. You gonna finally have to calibrate your shit.

I know some places like Dell do it for your monitors but they simply arrive looking like shit anyway.

Still Chasing CRT it seems. Maybe the new HDR stuff will force us to surpass it.

DeeBatch

Not sure what the appropriate thread to ask this in would be, so I'm putting it here.

Are OLED TVs good enough now to replace my plasma?

I've been holding on to this thing for ages, but I'm afraid to let it go.

Yes just get the 2016 LG or panasonic oleds

TyrantII

HDR isn't about saturation.

It's about number of colors that can be reproduced, contrast, and brightness/darkness.

You can blow it out if need be, but a calibrated HDR set with HDR content will look more natural over any SHD set Everytime.

Muzicfreq

Banned
What kind of comparison is this?? lmao

Tbh. i am not liking what i'm seeing. Specially not for the games. I always turn these kind of effects off if i can. Because it just looks bad imo. It's oversaturated and sky/lights usually look blown out.
Pretty much.
All my pictures I take I have HDR options but fuck it changes the look of the scene from what it looks like.
It's like the Samsung oversaturated screens on their phones.

People want that pop and wow factor without realizing it isn't natural colors

Withnail

Yep, HDR should look more realistic than SHD, that's the whole point of it, so if HDR mode is making colours over saturated or "more vivid" then it's either not set up correctly or it's just a poor implementation.

Angry Fork

The only issue I have with HDR (from the comparisons I've seen) is it looks artificial, like someone used photoshop to enhance colors rather than it being representative of what real life colors look like. The images look more beautiful obviously but also more fake to me, which takes away from the appeal sometimes imo.

GrayFoxBH

The only issue I have with HDR (from the comparisons I've seen) is it looks artificial, like someone used photoshop to enhance colors rather than it being representative of what real life colors look like. The images look more beautiful obviously but also more fake to me, which takes away from the appeal sometimes imo.
That's because you can't really see it. The only way to realize the difference is watching live a 4k HDR capable display.

Top Bottom