• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[HDTVTest] Unboxing the world's first 42" OLED TV

Curious about uniformity. The 48 inchers (really all oled last year) had poor uniformity. You’d think smaller sizes mean better but it’s not exactly happening that way.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Surprised nobody is talking about that video's major bombshell: it still has a WBC panel.

So much for the EVO revolution. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

TLZ

Banned
How wide would that be? I need something that is 34" wide.
The Office Thats GIF

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I dont mind unboxing a 42 inch oled but i do mind unboxing my wallet

OZ9000

Banned
42" is too big. give me a 27-32" oled
I use a 40 inch TV as my current monitor and it really isn't that big. Just wall mount it and use a wireless keyboard and mouse and you're golden.

42 is perfect. My limit would be 48 or 50 however. I tried 55 and that is way too big.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I think I’ll have to top out at a 34 ultra wide. I play a lot of twitch shooters at high fps like apex legends and while I would love to game on a 42 ( if I sat back) I just can’t imagine using that size for when I’m sat like a foot and a half from the screen.

it does look nice though and I get why some people do it. I think it’s just too big for my use case.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I thought the C1 had the full 48gbps hdmi 2.1 controller?

im half tempted to buy this around Black Friday, or the 48 and carry on using my rog swift for pc gaming on twitch shooters then use this for when I’m playing more cinematic games.

i had my heart set on the Alienware 34 ultra wide but we will see How that reviews.

ooops double post sorry.

Last edited:

TVexperto

that was known for a while
not true. LG literally told him all new tvs will have evo panels

Doesn't the WBC panel mean that it's not EVO OLED? Hasn't Vincent been saying all year that LG has told him that "all 2022 OLED TVs come with the latest panels from LG electronics" or whatever? Doesn't that mean they were completely lying?

Why does he play it off with a dick joke, rather than getting upset that they were lying to him this whole time?

I'm totally confused, is there something I'm missing or wrong about?

rofif

Banned
42" is too big. give me a 27-32" oled
It really isn’t. 48 also is not.
It’s always the same reaction from people.
Friend comes by, laughs at 48” on my desk, tries it, his head spins, plays for 30 minutes and by the time he is finished, here is Being his wife to allow them get a new tv :p

Armorous

I was planning to pick this tv up for my computer monitor. What does WBC mean... I thought it was going to have the higher end Evo panel in it.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

Doesn't the WBC panel mean that it's not EVO OLED? Hasn't Vincent been saying all year that LG has told him that "all 2022 OLED TVs come with the latest panels from LG electronics" or whatever? Doesn't that mean they were completely lying?

Why does he play it off with a dick joke, rather than getting upset that they were lying to him this whole time?

The info that the smaller sizes are not the the latest panel was known for a while. I remember those previews stating it from a few weeks back. LG Evo just refers to the proprietary algorithm-based ‘EX Technology' and the heatsink. Seems to me this is borderline a vendetta on your part ,"Tvexperto".

ParaSeoul

I was planning to pick this tv up for my computer monitor. What does WBC mean... I thought it was going to have the higher end Evo panel in it.
Some C1's had an "Evo Panel'' but were not marketed as it. The Evo name refers to tvs that have both the the proprietary algorithm-based ‘EX Technology',the the heatsink. The C2's with the WBC panels are still brighter than the C1.

Armorous

Some C1's had an "Evo Panel'' but were not marketed as it. The Evo name refers to tvs that have both the the proprietary algorithm-based ‘EX Technology',the the heatsink. The C2's with the WBC panels are still brighter than the C1.

Is that accurate though? Everything I see online says Evo is a different panel technology not just some heatsink and processing ...

ParaSeoul

Is that accurate though? Everything I see online says Evo is a different panel technology not just some heatsink and processing ...
Evo is the marketing term,its a combination of all of those things. The panel used for those is the WBE panel. The WBC panel is what the C1 uses and the smaller sizes of the C2 it seems like. LG still calls those smaller C2's Evo so they probably perform within the range LG considers to meet the Evo specs. If it matters to you,you could probably wait a while for every C2 to be manufactured with the new panel.

TVexperto

Evo is the marketing term,its a combination of all of those things. The panel used for those is the WBE panel. The WBC panel is what the C1 uses and the smaller sizes of the C2 it seems like. LG still calls those smaller C2's Evo so they probably perform within the range LG considers to meet the Evo specs. If it matters to you,you could probably wait a while for every C2 to be manufactured with the new panel.
do you work for LG?

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Surprised nobody is talking about that video's major bombshell: it still has a WBC panel.

So much for the EVO revolution. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
It's still going to have better pq than any other tv or monitor at this size. Don't worry.

Last edited:

Chiggs

Gold Member
that was known for a while

Going to have to disagree with this. At first, it was announced this way, and then an LG Product Manager on YouTube said that all units were considered EVO because of their components, even the 42" inch version.

Also, may I direct your attention to the actual box in the video? What's it say on there?

YoXvpCy.png

The LG Panel Lottery continues...?

I'll be curious if we see 55" and 65" inch C2 owners also getting WBC panels.

Last edited:

TVexperto

you are clearly a troll
The box clearly says OLED EVO, just like all the other C2 models. And we have been told for months by LG themselves, it will have a new EVO panel.

I figured Vincent would be making multiple videos of this false advertisement scandal, slamming LG. But instead, he glosses over it like we should have known the whole time it wouldn't have an EVO panel, even though its ON THE BOX.

ParaSeoul

Going to have to disagree with this. At first, it was announced this way, and then an LG Product Manager on YouTube said that all units were considered EVO because of their components, even the 42" inch version.

Also, may I direct your attention to the actual box in the video? What's it say on there?

YoXvpCy.png

The LG Panel Lottery continues...?

I'll be curious if we see 55" and 65" inch C2 owners also getting WBC panels.

Reallink

These smaller C2s look to have a number of substantial downgrades from the C1. The 48 C1 hit 790 nits peak and 164 nits full field, the smaller C2s evidently do 690 and 115 in the name of burn in prevention. That full field value is particularly worrisome and will definitely be noticable without a side by side comparison. 115 nits is worse than a bad Plasma, ~30 footlamberts is definitely subjectively "dim" in any room. The 164 nit C1 (~45 footlamberts) is subjectively bright in most rooms. 120Hz black frame insertion also removed in the C2. I certainly wouldn't be running to the store to pay $1400 for these.

Last edited:

dolabla

Samsung trying to compete with LG. Looks like they're bringing over the 43" QN90B to the states: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09WG7262X/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And it looks to have a 144hz panel from reading the specs on the Samsung UK site. So sounds like they may have finally got their head out of their ass by gimping the smaller sets (of the same model lineup) with 60hz panels.

I haven't bought a Samsung tv in years, but this has definitely got my attention.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Samsung trying to compete with LG. Looks like they're bringing over the 43" QN90B to the states: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09WG7262X/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And it looks to have a 144hz panel from reading the specs on the Samsung UK site. So sounds like they may have finally got their head out of their ass by gimping the smaller sets (of the same model lineup) with 60hz panels.

I haven't bought a Samsung tv in years, but this has definitely got my attention.
I hope that's the case. I hope it's not priced higher than the equivalent oled too.

ParaSeoul

One of the reasons,I went with LG after years of Samsung only. Needed a tv asap and all I saw were compromises. Good to see thats no longer the case.

benno

I've never owned an OLED. The differences in nits from full screen white (150 nits) to 10% window white (600+ nits), does this mean you can see "breathing" in white areas as the amount of white shown on screen changes?

If so, does this "breathing" have an effect on the colours too, does the whole screen dim or get brighter or just the white areas?

Last edited:

dolabla

I hope that's the case. I hope it's not priced higher than the equivalent oled too.
Looks like we may know pretty soon. Sounds like it might come sometimes in late April. Samsung just confirmed its US release: https://news.samsung.com/us/2022-sa...lized-home-entertainment-line-unbox-discover/

Three Neo QLED 4K TVs, the QN95B (available for the first time in the U.S.), QN90B and QN85B, will be available in the U.S., spanning sizes from 43” to 85”.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned

This is the first time I am interested in a Samsung product

As long as screen uniformity is good, no dirty screen effect and a game mode which does not butcher the local dimming, then this might be a viable alternative to the C2.

Andodalf

Banned

EVO is a meaningless marketing term, they had those panels in some TVs last year and didn't use the name. I'm surprised he didn't make a bigger deal of it, but he probably wants to find out more first. If for sure avoid the 42 until we learn more about this, if it's a panel lottery that sucks

dolabla

This is the first time I am interested in a Samsung product

As long as screen uniformity is good, no dirty screen effect and a game mode which does not butcher the local dimming, then this might be a viable alternative to the C2.
Hopefully with it being a smaller size it will have less uniformity issues. I was watching a video of 65" QN90B (or maybe 55" version) and the guy showed the local dimming in game mode compared to out of game mode and it was not an issue. So I guess they fixed that.

Another thing is hopefully they are all VA panels and no IPS panels in sight. I think some of the 43" QN90A did have IPS (outside the US), but the ones in the US all had VA. Such a weird thing to do, but they straight up bastardized that set.

I am still interested in the 42" OLED's, but this has no doubt jumped to the top of my list. First time in a while that a Samsung set has interested me this much. If it's as good as it sounds, I'm thinking it will be my next set.

OZ9000

Banned
Hopefully with it being a smaller size it will have less uniformity issues. I was watching a video of 65" QN90B (or maybe 55" version) and the guy showed the local dimming in game mode compared to out of game mode and it was not an issue. So I guess they fixed that.

Another thing is hopefully they are all VA panels and no IPS panels in sight. I think some of the 43" QN90A did have IPS (outside the US), but the ones in the US all had VA. Such a weird thing to do, but they straight up bastardized that set.

I am still interested in the 42" OLED's, but this has no doubt jumped to the top of my list. First time in a while that a Samsung set has interested me this much. If it's as good as it sounds, I'm thinking it will be my next set.
Think I'll wait for rtings or HDTVTest's review of the QN90B.

I kind of wish they made a 48" version instead of a 43, 50, 55, 65 etc.

rofif

Banned
I had a good plan to replace my 48" c1 with either 48 or 55" c2 this year and retire my c1 to replace my ancient living room tv.
But now? 48" c2 is 350$ more expensive than 48" c1 was in march last year on release.
That c1 was 250usd cheaer 2 months later. That makes c2 total of 600 $$$ more expensive than c2. wtf is going on.

Right now here lg c1 is about 4600pln and c2 is 7000pln.
That's 1100$ vs 1700usd. 600usd difference. Now that is crazy. Not to mention c1 55" was 1300usd... and now 55" c2 is 2000usd. CMON

Last edited:
Top Bottom