• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heads up for people who want to get Zero Escape: VLR ($12 eShop super sale now)

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
So, with ZTD coming out, I know we have a lot of people running through 999 and VLR for the first time in preparation.

If you happen to get Virtue's Last Reward on the 3DS, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT save in the puzzle rooms. There is a save corruption bug, which I believe may have been fixed in the eShop version of VLR, but I am not 100% certain.

This bug does not occur when saving during the story sequences, nor does it exist on the Vita version of the game.

I own the 3DS version, and have never once experienced save corruption in two complete playthroughs of the game. Follow this advice, and you'll be fine.

Good luck!

Seek a way out!

Edit: and for the love of god don't play VLR before 999.

Labrys

in the eShop version they "fixed" it by disabling saving in the PEC room but it could happen in any puzzle room. It was just more prominent in that room.

In any case, $12 is a great price for it. One of my favorite 3DS games.

Gvitor

I see a bunch of people avoiding the game because of the bug, even some that did enjoy 999. People, do not do this. VLR is fantastic and if you know of the bug beforehand, it's completely avoidable.

I can't make excuses for it not being fixed so far, and it's obvious it won't get fixed, ever. We also do not really know if the digital version fixed it or not. That all said, just don't save in any puzzle rooms. Not just PEC, or Crew Quarters. Any. For good measure, don't save in them even if you are in novel sections (that is, in the room, but not solving any puzzles within it). It's not ideal, sure, but it is far from a deal breaker. They are really short and will be over quickly if you desperately need to save for some reason. If you need to stop playing while in one of them, just close the 3DS.

Again, VLR is a fantastic game and people are missing out on it because of a bug that they already know exists and how to avoid it.

GaimeGuy

IIRC, the digital eShop 3DS version fixed the bug a few years ago.

As mentioned above, they simply disabled saving in the puzzle room where the corruption was most prominent. It has been reported in other puzzle rooms, though.

Just don't save in puzzle rooms/sequences! It's not hard!

GaimeGuy

I thought about getting this game but I don't want to support a game that's still broken.

Then get the Vita version.

Or just avoid the completely avoidable part of the game that's broken!

And only play either version after you play 999!

Woffls

Just played VLR (3DS cart) and had no idea about the bug. I saved a lot in all the rooms so I must have been reeeal lucky.

Play 999 first. No exceptions.

Azuran

Banned
The most important thing to remember is to NEVER LISTEN to people that say you can play VLR without experiencing 999 first.

They're always going to be 100% wrong because they will never know what they missed.

The most important thing to remember is to NEVER LISTEN to people that say you can play VLR without experiencing 999 first.

They're always going to be 100% wrong because they will never know what they missed.

I've never seen someone argue that one couldn't find enjoyment playing the games out of order, but argued that the player would've enjoyed the games even more had they played them in the fashion that the writer designed the narrative around.

Back on topic, I lost my save file 2 times. Thankfully they were kind of near the beginning, but I became so worried about how the puzzle rooms (all of them) have the potential to glitch your file (I even had it freeze during the PEC room mid-puzzle but I lucked out and my file was still fine) I had to use this alternative to play safely:

Any time I needed to save, I jumped to the novel segment after the first puzzle room and saved there. After loading my file I'd jump back to where I left off. I did use a walkthrough for the PEC room because I wanted out of there as soon as goddamn possible.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
To be fair, I kinda sympathize with him. A glitch like that is unacceptable and it's a shame that they never patched it. Thank goodness I went with the Vita version.

Yeah, I have so little time to play games these days that I can understand it. Although for $12 I would give the game a 2nd chance.

aett

Thanks for the warning! I'll just get the Vita version the next time it's on sale. I only just started 999 anyway, so I'm in no rush.

hwy_61

Banned
Playing VLR now, but I'm definitely buying this game at $12. Thanks for the heads up about the save bug OP!!

It's worth homebrewing your 3DS just so you can back up your save. I caught the bug 80% through the game. For that matter, if anyone wants my 100% VLR save, let me know.

Phenomenal game, though.

Top Bottom