• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heads up: Sony employees drunk on job, pressed send button accidentally

Manp

I got this email and opened and read it. Didn't click any links so does that make me safe?

xMpF7.jpg

:p

daffy

Banned
I knew these varmints were trying to make away with my shit. Thank zeus I checked gaf to clarify. Thanks op love xoxo

weird ..i do have funds on the accounts they send me emails and they knew my PSN name for each account ..is it because of the database leak or is this one legit ?( i have no need to buy anything so i didn't click ..

If this is indeed fake , i was almost fooled ( not by clicking ( i never click )) but this would be on another level of the spam i get every day ..

It comes from the same email address with the same header as almost all my PSN email, including the 5.99 store credit email recently and the Starhawk beta code email, I don't see how this is phishing unless someone's hacked Sony (again) and is using their email server to send it.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
What the hell is going on?

Sony: It's fake/phising
GAF: No, it's not. The e-mail is vaild and was the adress was used multiple times too

=S
----
Gonna delete it anyways

flowsnake

So why couldn't the sender address just be spoofed?

That said, it doesn't look like phishing at all, if it links to Sony's own site. If it isn't legitimate that would more or less be giving Sony free advertising...

Grinchy

Banned
Yep, I had the E-mail too. Deleted, thanks GAF. I don't think I would have done anything with it otherwise, but you never know. Looked pretty official.

notworksafe

Weird. Got this email in my normal inbox (Gmail) and was confused because I do have a balance but it's only been there for a month. I just deleted the email without clicking links, but good to know it was a fake

I got this yesterday. I received a $50 card as an early xmas gift and got the email a little after I entered it. Thought it was weird so I logged in using the email and it showed my balance as $50. I've now changed my pw and my account still has the 50 in it. You all scared me.

Oh crap. Well I got a PSN message saying I had some small balance in my wallet. It said I had less than 5 dollars and told me to check out the minis or something. I don't use PSN all that much so I wondered what it was and I clicked. Took me to some small games or whatever less than 5 dollars. It all looked legit to me. Should probably get to changing my password though. Damn, then a couple hours later I bought Beyond Good and Evil HD and entered in all my credit card info. :/

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
So why couldn't the sender address just be spoofed?
Because while you are able to change the "From" header in any mail you can not change the 'Received' header as the spoofer.

The 'From' header is determined by the mail sender while the 'Received' header is determined by your local mail server that accepts the incoming connection.

Facts:
- The mail server has been the same for the last few weeks that gave out 6 USD of PSN wallet money and gave everyone 3 months of PSN+.
- The links in the mail all point to Sony owned websites.

I can't even conceive of a way how this is supposed to be phishing in any form.

You are asked to log into a system that only accepts current genuine usernames/email and passwords which means they the alleged phishers would have to basically have control of Sony's server at this very moment.

And if they have that, why do they need to phish exactly? And the people that still think this is a phishing attempt have changed their password on Sony servers, which if this was some ridiculous phishing attempt would be under the phishers control. So nothing has been gained. Absurd.
jackiechanmyheadisfulloffuck.jpg

Someone please update the title, as the first line in the OP is being ignored by people.

Zoe

Oh crap. Well I got a PSN message saying I had some small balance in my wallet. It said I had less than 5 dollars and told me to check out the minis or something. I don't use PSN all that much so I wondered what it was and I clicked. Took me to some small games or whatever less than 5 dollars. It all looked legit to me. Should probably get to changing my password though. Damn, then a couple hours later I bought Beyond Good and Evil HD and entered in all my credit card info. :/

If you did everything on your PS3 without using the web browser, I wouldn't worry.

Makoto

I'll admit it. I clicked, but clicking again it still brings me to the verified Sony website.

With this e-mail I also found out I had $10 in my wallet that I had absolutely no idea about, but it's been in there for LESS than 6 months.

Because while you are able to change the "From" header in any mail you can not change the 'Received' header as the spoofer.

The 'From' header is determined by the mail sender while the 'Received' header is determined by your local mail server that accepts the incoming connection.

Facts:
- The mail server has been the same for the last few weeks that gave out 6 USD of PSN wallet money and gave everyone 3 months of PSN+.

You are asked to log into a system that only accepts current genuine usernames/email and passwords which means they the alleged phishers would have to basically have control of Sony's server at this very moment.

And if they have that, why do they need to phish exactly? And the people that still think this is a phishing attempt have changed their password on Sony servers, which if this was some ridiculous phishing attempt would be under the phishers control. So nothing has been gained. Absurd.

Someone please update the title, as the first line in the OP is being ignored by people.

Agreed.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I juut got this. Maybe a payback for no 5.99 credit (ooh boy)

"Apologies- Here are The Codes For Free PlayStation Plus"

These same people just sent me 1+1+1 months of free PS+ (codes work). They are those lame ones that automatically switch to 3 months if not canceled.
azB5j.png

links go to playstation-email.com

Xena

Wow, I also just got this email and it mentioned me not having used my funds in 6 months... and I was like, what? I know for sure I used some of it in the past few months.

Thanks for sharing!

btkadams

i never received this one, but i would have definitely noticed something was up if i did. i never have anything in my wallet haha.

I got the message on my phone.. didn't think anything of it.. I didn't click anything because I just didn't care about PSN or my PSN wallet..

feel

Thought it was real because I do have some money on the psn wallet that has been there forever waiting for Journey to come out. Didn't click a thing in the email though.

Derrick01

Banned
I think it's legit but I never got an email, I got an actual message on the PS3 and it turns out I did in fact have about $2.50 sitting in my wallet. I would just delete it though, you can always manually check if you have a balance and do whatever.

edit: Ok I just checked for today and I do have the email now. I got the message about 4 or 5 pm yesterday on the PS3 though.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Huh. I got this, but since there was really no action to be taken I didn't click anything. I said "oh, that's nice of Sony to remind me" and deleted the email.

Yeah, I got it, and I kind of knew it was fake and never even bothered to look into it more. I would have maybe went to Sony's site and logged in if I hadn't turned my Playstation 3 on since the Easter Outage, but I just added like a 20$ point card last month, so then I really knew it was fake.

I wish you could troll these asses back.

J-Rod

If it is a scam I fell for it. I guess it's a good thing I forgot my password. I defeated the phisher with my own stupidity.

Hanmik

This is not phishing... MAMA MIA...

look at the latest TOS email from Sony..

wlNye.jpg

they used [PlayStation_Network@playstation-email.com] for those mails too.. they have been using this company for a long time now..

Gustav

Banned
This is not phishing... MAMA MIA...

look at the latest TOS email from Sony..

wlNye.jpg

they used [PlayStation_Network@playstation-email.com] for those mails too.. they have been using this company for a long time now..

Wow - are you on Windows 95?

Thought it was real because I do have some money on the psn wallet that has been there forever waiting for Journey to come out. Didn't click a thing in the email though.
THAT'S BECAUSE IT IS REAL!

Read this:

Facts:

TL;DR

IT'S A LEGIT SONY EMAIL SENDING YOU TO A LEGIT SONY SITE.

They probably just fucked up and sent it to everyone.

bubnbob

Banned
I got this email and the only time I have -ever- put PSN funds in my wallet is from the free video credit earlier, was that really 6 months ago?

anyone actually get this as a message from the ps3 message/mail(?) system itself? i thought it was some sort of automatic reminder thing because i actually do have funds in my wallet that i haven't used in 6 months. but i was like, eff you sony i'm in the middle of playing a game, stop spamming me annoying reminders, and went back to playing.

edit: okie, nm it is indeed real. still pretty annoying though.

Amagon

If I click on any of the links in the email, is some chick gonna crawl out of my computer screen and be my friend forever???

Top Bottom