• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Healthy diet discussion

Prison Mike

Banned
Yep, eat them frozen. I find the flavour is better that way.
Lionel Ritchie What GIF

Yerd

Uncooked And plain?
My grandmother used to grow peas in a garden. I could eat them like candy, when eaten straight out of a freshly picked pod. It's a completely different flavor to cooked peas. Which is probably my most hated food that exists. It makes me gag trying to eat it. Which my parents would force me to do as a child.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
My grandmother used to grow peas in a garden. I could eat them like candy, when eaten straight out of a freshly picked pod. It's a completely different flavor to cooked peas. Which is probably my most hated food that exists. It makes me gag trying to eat it. Which my parents would force me to do as a child.

Interesting childhood memorys. I dont get parents forcing food on there kids.

Last edited:

Yerd

Interesting childhood memorys. I dont get parents forcing food on there kids.
Well for me, I hate pretty much all cooked vegetables. I eat mostly raw vegetables. My parents would cook peas, as mentioned, and lots of green beans, lima beans, baked beans, and they are the worst tasting things to me. So they would force me to sit and eat until finished. Peas are the top of my hate list.

Sosokrates

Well for me, I hate pretty much all cooked vegetables. I eat mostly raw vegetables. My parents would cook peas, as mentioned, and lots of green beans, lima beans, baked beans, and they are the worst tasting things to me. So they would force me to sit and eat until finished. Peas are the top of my hate list.
Boiled veg loose there freshness and flavour.
roasted or cook veg in a pan with a little butter/oil + salt on low heat is far better.

SpiceRacz

Yeah, I remember some months back having like three in one week, and I started to have chest pain. Truly, it must be full of sat fat because even just the small one I had this morning gave me slight heartburn, and I don't even get that when I eat fatty pork. I love 'em, but yeah, I don't eat them too often. When it gets warmer, though, I'll probably have one once a week with my black beans.

Avocados are totally safe to eat daily and actually good for heart health.

Sosokrates

Yeah, I remember some months back having like three in one week, and I started to have chest pain. Truly, it must be full of sat fat because even just the small one I had this morning gave me slight heartburn, and I don't even get that when I eat fatty pork. I love 'em, but yeah, I don't eat them too often. When it gets warmer, though, I'll probably have one once a week with my black beans.

Avocado should not give chest pain. Theres nothing in it that can do that unless u have an allergy to somthing in it.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Avocados are totally safe to eat daily and actually good for heart health.
Be that as it may, I can only have them about once a week. I love them, but yeah, too much and I get heartburn (or worse).
Avocado should not give chest pain. Theres nothing in it that can do that unless u have an allergy to somthing in it.
I don't think it's an allergy. Like I said, this morning it gave me an every so slight heartburn, which passed in minutes. But again, if I eat them back to back, like say one a day for three days, yeah, it gave some slight chest pain -- at least I think it was due to that. I typically have a very regimented diet. I think maybe they were on sale, so I bought a bunch. Not doing that again.

Sosokrates

Made some spaghetti tonight,

I made the sauce with total 5% yoghurt, garlic, salt and lots of pepper and had with fried sliced mushrooms and kale.

Its was really nice, like a cream sauce but way less fat and calories.

Biff

Intermittent fasting has been the biggest positive change in my life.

I fully admit to being prone to fad diets. Or trying something for a couple months and falling out of the habit. But IF is such a simple framework that it clicked with my monkey brain and I've been able to stick with it for a year now - never felt the need to cheat.

It all started with the braindead realization that all those Reddit nerds touting Intermittent Fasting were just... get this... skipping breakfast. Lmao. Leave it to Reddit to go high and mighty on this but sure enough there was an entire community of neckbeards rallying around their strength in skipping breakfast. But at it's essence, that's what the most common IF plan - "16/8" - is... 16hrs fasting 8hrs eating window. So, skip breakfast, eat lunch at 12pm, eat dinner at 6pm, and you can even have an evening snack at 8pm you fat fuck.

Once I realized how easy this was I had to try it. And it... kinda worked? I was consistently losing weight but wasn't sacrificing anything. I only ate breakfast because I grew up on the Kellogg's propaganda "most important meal of the day!" In fact, I was even saving the $2 per day protein shake I'd drink in the morning which adds up over a year.

With 16/8 being literally "easy", I decided to take a jump to the much more difficult 20/4 strategy. This is a lot less common on Reddit - I wasn't sure why until I tried it. This one is actually hard and legit sucks for the first month. I originally ran with a 4pm-8pm eating window to maximize dinner time but I'd get too hungry during work so shifted it to 3pm-7pm. And 11 months later, I'm still doing 20/4 3pm-7pm every day. Again, I admit the first month was hard. But I kept reminding myself how easy and straightforward this plan is once you break through the initial barrier. So I sucked it up and just drank more water during the day and pushed through.

Once you get through the first month of 20/4, you are golden. Your stomach right-sizes for your new eating routine and you stop getting hungry during the day. Now there are many days where I'll be deep in work and check the clock and it's 3:30pm without realizing it. I actually appreciate food now and I enjoy it tremendously during a restricted window. I eat what I want for 4 hours per day with no guilt. I feel sharper. I'm saving a shit ton of money. I've lost all my COVID work-from-home weight, and then some.

Intermittent Fasting is the first "internet diet" that actually worked for me, and has stuck. The science behind it is logical. Our ancestors ate one meal a day for tens of thousands of years, and they did fine. We eat 3 meals a day across 16 hours of constant eating with snacking in between meals and we are shocked to have an obesity epidemic? 10,000 years isn't enough time for evolution to change our digestion system. We are standing apes whose brains got just barely large enough to process language. You'll be fine eating less - I promise. Just try it.

Last edited:
Dieting is straight forward and anyone can do it technically. It’s only complicated when you have afflictions (such as key allergies, POTS, hormone issues, addictions, very poor genetics, etc).

Will you do it? Can you get over your sugar addiction? Can you eat out less? Can you limit doing things that make you eat unnecessarily (alcohol, weed, stay up late bored, etc). Can you avoid healthy but bougee recipes for taste because they are more expensive and harder to do making you give up? Can you not go information overload on your diet?

Last edited:
Be that as it may, I can only have them about once a week. I love them, but yeah, too much and I get heartburn (or worse).

I don't think it's an allergy. Like I said, this morning it gave me an every so slight heartburn, which passed in minutes. But again, if I eat them back to back, like say one a day for three days, yeah, it gave some slight chest pain -- at least I think it was due to that. I typically have a very regimented diet. I think maybe they were on sale, so I bought a bunch. Not doing that again.

People who are fodmap intolerant can struggle with avocados pending the portion size. Not saying you have that because you likely don’t, but as you said if it is making you feel worse don’t do it. But for me i like avocado toast and an egg for breakfast.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
I gained 20 kilos during the covid years and lost 10 again already. Just eating 3 healthy, high protein meals a day, drink only water and coffee. It works, but god damn why can't we all just eat what we want all day!

GeekyDad

Made some spaghetti tonight,

I made the sauce with total 5% yoghurt, garlic, salt and lots of pepper and had with fried sliced mushrooms and kale.

Its was really nice, like a cream sauce but way less fat and calories.
So, like a healthier Alfredo sauce? Very nice idea.

Also, I discovered a new guilt-free (I believe) snack at the store yesterday...

WEBMelties_BBGB-313x500-1.png

Yes, it's sold for babies, but it is just three ingredients: banana, blueberries and green beans -- no flour, added sugar, nothing else.

3.jpg

They have the texture of a kids' cereal. It was surprisingly good.

I'm at about a month of the keto/carnivore thing now. Dropped about 15 lbs. Just held out on a 24 hour fast, and it was incredibly easy. At the end I was probably less hungry than I would be maybe 3 hours after a normal carby meal of my past. At the moment it feels like I got wallhacks and aimbot.

GeekyDad

Trying to reel it back in. My normal belt notch and such are starting to feel snug, and I don't care for that feeling. I know I need energy for the type of work I do, but I'm also concerned about carrying extra weight I don't need because of my feet and legs. Trying to cut out the day-off snacks and overeating (whether healthy or not) after work. It's never easy once you slide off the wagon.

I'm at about a month of the keto/carnivore thing now. Dropped about 15 lbs. Just held out on a 24 hour fast, and it was incredibly easy. At the end I was probably less hungry than I would be maybe 3 hours after a normal carby meal of my past. At the moment it feels like I got wallhacks and aimbot.
Carbs stimulate hunger, while protein and fat promote satiety. When I switched to very low carb (and carnivore - sometimes going between them a bit, but always very low carb), I was shocked at the fact that I was almost never hungry. I've never been overweight - I did it for autoimmune and digestive issues, but I've always had a tremendous appetite and could eat like I had the largest tapeworm in existence (maybe I do :p). But keto/carnivore *ended* those incessant hunger pangs and cravings. In the beginning before my body adjusted, I had to literally force myself to eat at times.

GeekyDad

Carbs stimulate hunger, while protein and fat promote satiety. When I switched to very low carb (and carnivore - sometimes going between them a bit, but always very low carb), I was shocked at the fact that I was almost never hungry. I've never been overweight - I did it for autoimmune and digestive issues, but I've always had a tremendous appetite and could eat like I had the largest tapeworm in existence (maybe I do :p). But keto/carnivore *ended* those incessant hunger pangs and cravings. In the beginning before my body adjusted, I had to literally force myself to eat at times.
I wonder about that, though. There are lean herbivores that live off mostly fruits and such.

Kenpachii

Sugar is what makes me hungry. best thing to lose weight is cut all sugar out of everything which takes me about a month to kick off from and hunger is basically non existent at that point. then just eat small amounts throughout the day whatever u want and train and u are good.

Jsisto

I wonder about that, though. There are lean herbivores that live off mostly fruits and such.
I think the argument is more about empty carbs like pastas/chips and such. Fruit doesn't have everything you need but its very nutrient dense and doesn't leave your body craving like carbs do.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Halfway on my 21 week weight loss challenge, 21 pounds down. Bit of encouragement for anyone doing the same. Done almost entirely through diet, I hate exercise (yes, yes, I'm still doing it). Last week was the first week I gained as we hosted a family party and there was 4 days worth of leftover food, I ain't throwing that shit out.

oO1psX5.png

Got some festivals in summer so wanting to slim down and get a new wardrobe, Christmas 2021 was heavy. Will post my full table and pictures of what I've been cooking in June.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Even with intermittent fasting, if you don’t eat well, it will reflect poorly.

I’ve been doing it but I know I have to step up my diet because I have a very bulbous tummy, despite being relatively slim. It’s partly my posture too, but I don’t think that’s all of it. I think there are a lot of carbs in my tummy.
I don’t drink often at all, so I know it’s not from beer. I eat a lot of pizza and bread, so despite exercise and IF, I am having trouble gettting my tummy to not stick out when I walk around or stand straight.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm overweight, eat junky, but amazingly has maintained my weight pretty well during covid (lucky as I eat out less but eat more at home sitting around so it balanced out).

I will never be a work out guy, but two things that I know hurts my chances of losing weight comes to habit and value.

1. I'm one of those guys who grew up with mom making big dinners, and eat it. Dont waste money throwing shit out. And eat it then and now. Dont bother eating half and putting the leftovers in the fridge. So combine a big plate of food and eat it all and you can see why I cant lose weight

2. I got money, but just like growing up with my cheap ass parents (who still are the cheapest fucks you'll ever meet in their $2M house now), all of us kids are value conscious. So that means buying shit (even if junky) when I see it on deal because like mom and dad buying stuff on sale, I do the same and stock up. I should be buying apples and lean chicken, but I see a deal for chips or cookies for $1.49 and cant help it but buy it. I should know better because I work in the industry and know all about high margin front page teasers, but I am caught in the marketing too!

What I really should be doing is eating and buying less junky food.

If you guys got the will power, try to avoid my two points above. It'll help you lose weight.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Here's a good video on the consumption of higher levels of fructose imho.

Watched it, and again, though a bit more subtle and makes some valid points, it seems to go back to the keto vs. Mediterranean-style diet. I honestly believe both can be great approaches to healthy eating, but I think it depends on you. And it's probably going to be varying degrees for each individual. I think, after trying various things over many years, a more Mediterranean-style diet works better for me. It's more my natural inclination to be driven toward those types of foods, and those types of foods make my machinery feel better. And I just feel more confident throughout the day when my machinery feels like it's running well. ;)

All that being said, I think I need to continue to work on restraint. No matter how healthy any food is, too much of it can pack on the pounds.

Last edited:
Watched it, and again, though a bit more subtle and makes some valid points, it seems to go back to the keto vs. Mediterranean-style diet. I honestly believe both can be great approaches to healthy eating, but I think it depends on you. And it's probably going to be varying degrees for each individual. I think, after trying various things over many years, a more Mediterranean-style diet works better for me. It's more my natural inclination to be driven toward those types of foods, and those types of foods make my machinery feel better. And I just feel more confident throughout the day when my machinery feels like it's running well. ;)

All that being said, I think I need to continue to work on restraint. No matter how healthy any food is, too much of it can pack on the pounds.
Yes, I agree with you in principle. People are so fixated on what is "correct" when in reality, we're all unique biochemical soups with different backgrounds and physiological challenges that respond best to a unique approach.

I do think that, in general, our bodies are not well-suited to an abundance of sugars in any form, "healthy" or otherwise, simply from an evolutionary standpoint. Fruit and other sugars would not have been a consistent possible food source for the bulk of our evolution. And many things that people think of as healthy (oatmeal anyone) are simply turned into sugars almost immediately by the body. But again, I'm with you in general. We've all got to listen to our own bodies and how they respond to how we treat them.

Jsisto

Yes, I agree with you in principle. People are so fixated on what is "correct" when in reality, we're all unique biochemical soups with different backgrounds and physiological challenges that respond best to a unique approach.

I do think that, in general, our bodies are not well-suited to an abundance of sugars in any form, "healthy" or otherwise, simply from an evolutionary standpoint. Fruit and other sugars would not have been a consistent possible food source for the bulk of our evolution. And many things that people think of as healthy (oatmeal anyone) are simply turned into sugars almost immediately by the body. But again, I'm with you in general. We've all got to listen to our own bodies and how they respond to how we treat them.
It’s so tough to nail down. While I understand your point about fruit not having widely been available in our evolutionary history, it is now, and evolution never ends and we continue to adapt. If our distant hunter gatherer ancestors had more access to fruit would that have possibly been a good thing? I feel like if you eat a reasonable amount of fruit per day combined with a healthy lifestyle, it can certainly be of benefit. Anecdotally, I certainly feel significantly more energy and better overall on days where I’ve had fruit, especially in the morning. A reasonable amount of course. An organge, a banana, maybe some berries. And you best believe when stonefruit season arrives I’ll be downing multiple peaches, plums or nectarines a day! I’m very active though and work out three times a week, so I can see if being a problem if someone just sits on their ass eating a bunch of fruit.

GeekyDad

This video here I've watched many times, as it's been very inspiring to me, and many of the foods and eating habits therein are ones that align with my body, sans the cheese:

I know perhaps to people are not as pretty as the guy in the video posted earlier in the thread, but again, for me, I just feel so much more confident and safe when my body is feeling healthy.

(Most folks will want to turn the CC on.)

MairJ23

Neo Member
I feel alot of people group carbs as bad and focus too much on protein. Most North Americans aren't protein deficient but most people are fibre deficient. Everyone says cut out the carbs, which I agree, eating white bread or pasta is like having a donut. Replace those carbs with whole grain bread and pasta. Fibre is essential for heart health as well as weight loss.

Fiber is not 'essential for weight loss'. By all means add some good veggies to your diet if you want, but fucking pasta is not the play.

GeekyDad

Okay, this has kind of stuck on my mind, since reading it. I sense a negative connotation when you mentioned oatmeal. What are your specific thoughts regarding oatmeal as it relates to your reply?

I found this, and am just curious what your possible reservations might be: https://www.healthline.com/health/diabetes/oatmeal 'Cause I eat the Cascadian Farms no-sugar-added oat cereal everyday as a dessert after dinner.

Last edited:
Okay, this has kind of stuck on my mind, since reading it. I sense a negative connotation when you mentioned oatmeal. What are your specific thoughts regarding oatmeal as it relates to your reply?

I found this, and am just curious what your possible reservations might be: https://www.healthline.com/health/diabetes/oatmeal 'Cause I eat the Cascadian Farms no-sugar-added oat cereal everyday as a dessert after dinner.
I'm only speaking from my own experience regarding things your body converts to sugars and how it affects me. I wasn't trying to criticize those who eat oats. If it works for you, then by all means proceed. Much depends on your current state of health. We can often get away with things if our health isn't compromised that can otherwise be damaging. The more significant the issue, the more vigilant we sometimes have to be. For my own health, eliminating all sugars and/or things the body readily converts to quick sugars has been very helpful, and I know that is the case for many others as well. There are no carbohydrates which are necessary for human health. We need proteins, fats (certain fatty acids), vitamins and minerals. The human body has need for a minimal amount of glucose, and that is easily generated through gluconeogenesis from the protein we consume - via the liver. While we don't technically require any carbohydrates to function and even thrive, they are quick and easy energy which some can use without issue better than others. If it's working for you, you should listen to your own body.

GeekyDad

I'm only speaking from my own experience regarding things your body converts to sugars and how it affects me. I wasn't trying to criticize those who eat oats. If it works for you, then by all means proceed. Much depends on your current state of health. We can often get away with things if our health isn't compromised that can otherwise be damaging. The more significant the issue, the more vigilant we sometimes have to be. For my own health, eliminating all sugars and/or things the body readily converts to quick sugars has been very helpful, and I know that is the case for many others as well. There are no carbohydrates which are necessary for human health. We need proteins, fats (certain fatty acids), vitamins and minerals. The human body has need for a minimal amount of glucose, and that is easily generated through gluconeogenesis from the protein we consume - via the liver. While we don't technically require any carbohydrates to function and even thrive, they are quick and easy energy which some can use without issue better than others. If it's working for you, you should listen to your own body.
Oh, no, I wasn't reacting because I thought you were being critical, I just was wondering if you could point to certain information that states that oats can have negative effects on health.

But...there does seem to be some conflicting information on fiber. You're saying the human body has no need for carbohydrates. I can't really imagine getting the required fiber from meat.

Last edited:
Oh, no, I wasn't reacting because I thought you were being critical, I just was wondering if you could point to certain information that states that oats can have negative effects on health.

But...there does seem to be some conflicting information on fiber. You're saying the human body has no need for carbohydrates. I can't really imagine getting the required fiber from meat.
Well, I wouldn't make a blanket claim that oats are necessarily "bad" for you. Much depends on the type...instant vs rolled vs steel cut and/or groats. My issue is with the lack of clear benefit...in my view. There's nothing we get from oats that we can't get elsewhere and more efficiently/readily absorbed.

Fiber is an interesting topic, with conflicting information, as you mentioned. I will say that I'm aware of many pure carnivores that have no issue with digestion. Personally, I mix in low carb vegetables occasionally, so I am getting a modest amount of sporadic fiber. I can't make any personal observations on absolutely no fiber diets. I will say that my own digestion is better as I've transitioned *away* from a higher fiber diet.

Here's a couple of videos that I've found interesting on the microbiome, fiber, carnivore eating, digestion and the like. The first also incorporated red-light therapy, but if you watch, she explains how her microbiome became stronger and more diverse (via the tests she took) in the absence of fiber. Just thought I'd share in case you might also find it interesting.

There are plenty of others of course, and as always there are opposing viewpoints and voices. And we've all got a bit different set of genetics that influences what we're best suited to consuming. Our heritage predisposes us to better success with some diets/foods over others. As with most things, it comes down to what you personally experience as having a greater weight than what you are told by others. We've all got to find and walk our own road in the end.

GeekyDad

...I will say that my own digestion is better as I've transitioned *away* from a higher fiber diet.
Wow. See, I'm the opposite. That's why I try not to eat much, if any, cheese. And even if I eat too much, like say a full 1/4 lb. of turkey, it does not agree with me in that regard. Love how both of those things taste, but I just value and appreciate the after effects of how they make me feel more.

And ultimately, that's why I created this topic. Was just really curious about how other folks are affected by certain foods and diets. It definitely seems evident that certain folks seem to operate better on different types of food routines. Guess I'm more of a deer or cattle than a carnivore. :D

Thank you for the vids, btw, will try to check them out in the morning.

Wow. See, I'm the opposite. That's why I try not to eat much, if any, cheese. And even if I eat too much, like say a full 1/4 lb. of turkey, it does not agree with me in that regard. Love how both of those things taste, but I just value and appreciate the after effects of how they make me feel more.

And ultimately, that's why I created this topic. Was just really curious about how other folks are affected by certain foods and diets. It definitely seems evident that certain folks seem to operate better on different types of food routines. Guess I'm more of a deer or cattle than a carnivore. :D

Thank you for the vids, btw, will try to check them out in the morning.
My ancestry is Nordic and I'm blood type O+, and both of those things seem to indicate a more meat-centric diet, although that can vary as well. Again, we're all a bit unique, which is why I don't understand when people have religious zealotry for whatever worked for them. I understand wanting to share what was of benefit - that's beautiful, but all things don't necessarily apply to all people and in all situations. It can also be a source of confusion when you get caught up listening to *everyone* when there are and will always be so many conflicting voices...because there are so many different individual circumstances. You've got to find your own way and filter through the noise until you sort yourself out.

MairJ23

Neo Member
Just to add to my previous post, unprocessed carbs such as oats, grains and of course vegetables like sweet potatoes are in fact key in not only weight loss but studies have shown help with muscle building moreso than a keto centric diet. Not pretending to know it all, but have found this to work for me. I've cut out meat proteins out of my breakfast/lunch routine but still have "normal" meat and potatoes types of dinner. Feels like a right balance for me.

GeekyDad

Okay, so I want to eat more beans, basically five days a week. Not because I think they're healthier per se, but man, they just agree with me so much more than meat. Right now, I'm doing three different bean dishes a week: Tri-bean, reduced with fresh tomato and avocado; chickpea curry; and lentils (either as a makeshift curry, or just with a pinch of salt, or I'll buy a can of Amy's low-sodium lentil soup on days I do overtime and only have a short time to have dinner). So, I was hoping maybe folks might have a healthy recipe or three for beans -- different beans, simple recipes. Don't matter to me. Or even just recommendations of things that pair up nicely in beans.

Thanks

teezzy

Banned
I've been eating a lot of mixed nuts and tropical fruit lately. Mostly kiwi, oranges, and bananas.

It's a solid diet. Dinner I'll usually eat meat of some sort

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Okay, so I want to eat more beans, basically five days a week. Not because I think they're healthier per se, but man, they just agree with me so much more than meat. Right now, I'm doing three different bean dishes a week: Tri-bean, reduced with fresh tomato and avocado; chickpea curry; and lentils (either as a makeshift curry, or just with a pinch of salt, or I'll buy a can of Amy's low-sodium lentil soup on days I do overtime and only have a short time to have dinner). So, I was hoping maybe folks might have a healthy recipe or three for beans -- different beans, simple recipes. Don't matter to me. Or even just recommendations of things that pair up nicely in beans.

Thanks

This was me about a year or so ago. One of my coworkers recommended me this book:

I have enjoyed every recipe I've cooked from it.

MikeM

Easy healthy meal especially if in the gym:

- cook 3 whole eggs + 220g of egg whites.
- place in container and store in fridge.
- next morning, place 1 cup oats, cooked eggs, 1 tblsp pure cocoa, and 1 banana into blender (sub banana for 20g unpasteurized honey if sensitive to banana).
- add in two cups of unsweetened vanilla almond milk and two cups of water.
- blend and enjoy.

Macros: 55g protein, 25g fat, 80g carbs

Adjust the oats accordingly if you want less carbs. Be sure to adjust the water with it to ensure its not too watery.

GeekyDad

This was me about a year or so ago. One of my coworkers recommended me this book:

I have enjoyed every recipe I've cooked from it.
Thank you. Looks like a good place to start.

Shtef

It was really weird for me when i found out that in US the main big meal is dinner and not lunch. In our diet (mediterranean diet) for breakfast we have some light food like sandwiches or eggs, lunch is the main meal, we eat cooked food with a lot of salads on the side. Another thing that I didn’t know that people used dressings for salads, we use only olive oil, vinegar and salt. Dinner is another small meal or a snack.
My question was, is there a reason why dinner is the heaviest meal in the day instead of lunch?

Kenpachii

Intermittent fasting made me lose 50lbs in the last two years. I usually have two protein shakes a day with added vitamins. Eat lunch and supper and a small snack from 10am-6pm. I barely eat carbs though.

Doing the same for the last 2 weeks aswell, dropping weight like its nothing.

GeekyDad

It was really weird for me when i found out that in US the main big meal is dinner and not lunch. In our diet (mediterranean diet) for breakfast we have some light food like sandwiches or eggs, lunch is the main meal, we eat cooked food with a lot of salads on the side. Another thing that I didn’t know that people used dressings for salads, we use only olive oil, vinegar and salt. Dinner is another small meal or a snack.
My question was, is there a reason why dinner is the heaviest meal in the day instead of lunch?
I think traditionally, it likely has the most to do with it being the time of day most families could come together for a meal. Kids are typically in school until about 3pm, adults at work until about 5pm. Also, most adults used to (and probably still do) make up the working class, so hunger plays a role in that as well.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Intermittent fasting made me lose 50lbs in the last two years. I usually have two protein shakes a day with added vitamins. Eat lunch and supper and a small snack from 10am-6pm. I barely eat carbs though.
Doing the same for the last 2 weeks aswell, dropping weight like its nothing.
I was thinking about trying Slim Fast shakes. The concept is you drink one small shake (milk based) to replace one meal, and eat the rest of your meals the same as before.

I think a shake is total calories of around 500.

I'll give it a go one of these days. You can buy a big can of this shit from Walmart for like $20.

Last edited:
Top Bottom