• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Healthy diet discussion

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Liquid calories are generally a bad idea when you're trying to lose weight. It doesn't trigger satiety in the same way that solid food does, so if your willpower isn't solid steel you can easily end up adding it on top of regular meals when you planned on replacing meals with it.

Willpower is the real commodity you're managing with weight loss. That's why intermittent fasting is good for a lot of people. They get to fully top up once per day and ride that satiety out, timing it so that they go to sleep right around when they would be having the next substantial meal.

Gotta figure out what works for you though.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I was thinking about trying Slim Fast shakes. The concept is you drink one small shake (milk based) to replace one meal, and eat the rest of your meals the same as before.

I think a shake is total calories of around 500.

I'll give it a go one of these days. You can buy a big can of this shit from Walmart for like $20.
It's all chemicals though. Go with Vega brand which is made from real food. It's half the price on Amazon for a tub. I add water and heavy cream in mine.

qZ2W3WL.jpeg

GivzWA3.jpeg

OzGytJx.jpeg

A bag of frozen peas can make for a great daytime snack. Pour some in a small bowl and enjoy!

images

Green peas are amazing. Throw some extra virgin olive oil in a pan, heat em up, sprinkle some cayanne powder or whatever your favorite seasoning is on em. Drizzle zero calorie Siracha sauce on them. Soooo fucking good

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
You have to be in control of your diet that’s a fact, keep sugars out of childrens grasp, diet is about progression, keeping pressure on yourself to make good choices.

DavidGzz

You eat more fat so people think you burn more fat but you're not burning more stored fat, just dietary fat. At the end of the day, calories are what matter.

As for eating late, it doesn't matter. I actually sleep better if I eat late at night.

GeekyDad

I think I need to chill out on the pistachios. For the past few weeks, I've been getting them when I'm gonna be off the next day, and eating half the bag (8 oz. total bag size) that day and the other half the bag the next day. So, I'm basically eating 4 oz. of pistachios four times a week. I don't know if that's a great thing... :messenger_smirking:

Papacheeks

Banned
I think I need to chill out on the pistachios. For the past few weeks, I've been getting them when I'm gonna be off the next day, and eating half the bag (8 oz. total bag size) that day and the other half the bag the next day. So, I'm basically eating 4 oz. of pistachios four times a week. I don't know if that's a great thing... :messenger_smirking:

If your crap starts to looks like peanut butter then panic. Lol

Kenpachii

I was thinking about trying Slim Fast shakes. The concept is you drink one small shake (milk based) to replace one meal, and eat the rest of your meals the same as before.

I think a shake is total calories of around 500.

I'll give it a go one of these days. You can buy a big can of this shit from Walmart for like $20.

Just eat a piece of bread with cheese and move on with your day, u get the same if not better results as its less calories. Those slim fast shakes are useless as i am 100% sure they contain some form of sugar which basically is something u want to avoid at all costs, also drink water and get used to drink water only.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

I'm giving intermittent fasting a shot starting today. I'm about 25 pounds from my goal weight. Already dropped about 35 since the last kid was born the beginning of last year...I usually have a decent breakfast with a couple eggs, cheese, some breakfast meat and a low carb wrap. But I think just cutting that out and eliminating any snacks after dinner would give me a decent 6/18 ratio.

I bet my brother in law $100 I could lose 25 before he can, starting today...but I'm starting at 220 and he's at 350, so I'm pretty sure he could take a big shit and win if I don't hit this hard.

About a year ago i started working out ...3 days out of the week...going to the gym for about 2 hours, 45 mins or so of lifting, 20-30 minutes of running. Cut all the heavy carbs ive lived off for 40 years ( italian). I wasnt really overweight but i had very very high tryglyceride count. Well after 4-5 months i cut the count in half and i kept going.

then about a month ago it hit me...a week long bout of anemia after coming back from the gym....then it went away i went back...week or so later...anemia again.....or tiredness fatigue. Then i stopped going to the gym and it came back anyway and now just kinda persists. Its terrifying really but my doctor is 86 and is awful and i move to japan in about 8 days so no time to go get tests.

It should be noted that ive been a vegetarian for 30+ years, though i never had problems with iron. It should also be noted that i have g6pd which means i naturally can become anemic if i eat the wrong things ( i had no triggers though before this started) . I Had full blood work during the summer and i checked out a ok in everything, except tryglycerides. However i did learn last year that i technically was not supposed to eat any types of legumes, not soy not beans not lentils....and even though i ate them my entire life with no hitch...i stopped early last year.

I was also eating really lightly , lighter then i realized the last few months....i mean i usually have a sandwhich and a side dish for dinner or something similar. I may have burned through my Iron reserves, i heard iron can be stored for up to two years. The last two days i tried to eat a bit heavier but im used to eating lighter now. I honestly dont even know if it is anemia, im not pale or jaundice or anything...everyone says i look really healthy.

Anyway im just guessing here, being a hyperchondriac and feeling this way is no fun....its why im always afraid to go to urgent care....basically the worst things are on my mind right now. Ive had everything in teh world prevent me from moving out of this shithole ( was supposed to leave 3 years ago) and now this is i feel is gonna keep me from leaving.

GeekyDad

Okay, so some folks have weighed in about the benefits/possible inaccuracies regarding organic foods. But...

How about grass-fed/non-GMO/artificial-hormone cows, with particular regards to yogurt? Valuable differences, or negligible?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Okay, so some folks have weighed in about the benefits/possible inaccuracies regarding organic foods. But...

How about grass-fed/non-GMO/artificial-hormone cows, with particular regards to yogurt? Valuable differences, or negligible?
Grass-fed results in better ratios of omega-3 fatty acids in the animal products. Beneficial.

GMO vs non-GMO doesn't matter for consumption.

Artificially boosted hormone levels in cows results in higher estrogen levels in milk, which may be harmful.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Stavros is unlockable ?

(Very old sketch of a kebab shop owner from U.K. comedian Harry Enfield. I’m sure it’s aged like early 3D games but what ever)

manfestival

Another thing to consider is that grass fed vs other in almost all cases will have more nutrients that your body can use over time. When it comes to yogurts you just have to avoid certain terms that may conflict. Like if they pasteurize the food. They may be effectively cooking out the benefit of the food you are eating. I don't eat yogurts(not my thing) but I recall watching videos on foods and one of the things I believe they talk about more with those is the gut biome benefits of certain yogurts over others.

GeekyDad

Another thing to consider is that grass fed vs other in almost all cases will have more nutrients that your body can use over time. When it comes to yogurts you just have to avoid certain terms that may conflict. Like if they pasteurize the food. They may be effectively cooking out the benefit of the food you are eating. I don't eat yogurts(not my thing) but I recall watching videos on foods and one of the things I believe they talk about more with those is the gut biome benefits of certain yogurts over others.
I'm wondering, though...

Though most yogurts may use pasteurized milk, most yogurts aren't re-pasteurized after the bacteria that creates the yogurts are introduced to the milk. So, in that regard, I can't really see much loss as it pertains to the digestive benefits of yogurt.

GeekyDad

I know a lot of folks weighed in on the idea that "organic" simply has no true benefit. So, I couldn't remember and looked it up, products cannot be labeled organic if they are GMO. Setting aside meat, which I don't eat much of, that's a pretty significant benefit in my mind, as it's fairly obvious fruits (especially) and veggies have been tinkered with in order to make them sweeter, more palatable, easier to grow in mass quantity, etc.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

the main issue with GMOs is that they've been programmed to be resistant to glyphosate.

the benefit of organic is that only certain types of pesticides are allowed. but some foods don't really need it. Things like onions, avocados, sweet corn, cabbages, mushrooms, melons don't matter.

but most thin skin fruits like strawberries, apples, grapes have high levels of pesticides. also more delicate greens like spinach and kale.

GeekyDad

the main issue with GMOs is that they've been programmed to be resistant to glyphosate.

the benefit of organic is that only certain types of pesticides are allowed. but some foods don't really need it. Things like onions, avocados, sweet corn, cabbages, mushrooms, melons don't matter.

but most thin skin fruits like strawberries, apples, grapes have high levels of pesticides. also more delicate greens like spinach and kale.
Huh...?

Wouldn't that be a good thing?

But the point being, is that I think tinkering with nature in that way (GMO), it seems like it's a shock to the system of nature, and in turn, a shock to our bodies. And it's got to have something to do with why we're seeing many so-called experts suggesting that fruit is somehow bad for you. If growers are manipulating it so that it has a much higher sugar content with smaller seeds, etc., I could see why they'd feel that way.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Green peas are amazing. Throw some extra virgin olive oil in a pan, heat em up, sprinkle some cayanne powder or whatever your favorite seasoning is on em. Drizzle zero calorie Siracha sauce on them. Soooo fucking good

What you do with peas is saute them in a pan with olive oil and small bits of spanish ham, then lower the heat and add in some cooking aromating wine. After the wine reduces the peas will carry all those incredible flavors.

Not very healthy dietous anyways.

I'm currently in the process of losing weight, 7kg so far.

GeekyDad

Not bumping, just don't wanna start another thread to discuss a related topic.

I've been experimenting with intermittent fasting each week -- one or two-day water fasts. Unfortunately, though the first two-day fast was quite successful, I tried a one-day fast the following week and ended up binge eating. Still eating healthy whole foods, but too much and unable to settle back into a daily regimen of 16/8. And if you're allowing your body to feed off fat for a day or two and then just overload it with more fat, the results are obvious.

So, I'm trying to do a prolonged fast, in hopes of regaining a better daily regimen. Been trying to add a pinch of salt to warm water during those hunger-pang times throughout the day, and though it seems fairly effective, it has also started to irritate the roof of my mouth. I'm measuring a 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt (fuck iodized salt -- I'll live without the iodine for the time being 'cause that shit irritates even more) for a full mug of warm water.

The real doozie, though, is...though I've been under the impression my black coffee doesn't have any calories or fat, the website I buy it off suggests (on the nutritional panel) that it has about 90 calories a cup and a slight amount of fat. I started my fast Sunday. Don't think it's going to fuck me up too much, but it looks like I'm gonna have to go to green tea tomorrow and throughout. That's gonna be a double whammy -- caffeine withdrawals and hunger.

🙏

DavidGzz

Triple whammy with the lean mass loss. Are you lifting? I'd ask if you were getting enough protein to avoid even more lean mass loss but you aren't eating at all. What's your goal?

Mato

Not bumping, just don't wanna start another thread to discuss a related topic.

I've been experimenting with intermittent fasting each week -- one or two-day water fasts. Unfortunately, though the first two-day fast was quite successful, I tried a one-day fast the following week and ended up binge eating. Still eating healthy whole foods, but too much and unable to settle back into a daily regimen of 16/8. And if you're allowing your body to feed off fat for a day or two and then just overload it with more fat, the results are obvious.

So, I'm trying to do a prolonged fast, in hopes of regaining a better daily regimen. Been trying to add a pinch of salt to warm water during those hunger-pang times throughout the day, and though it seems fairly effective, it has also started to irritate the roof of my mouth. I'm measuring a 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt (fuck iodized salt -- I'll live without the iodine for the time being 'cause that shit irritates even more) for a full mug of warm water.

The real doozie, though, is...though I've been under the impression my black coffee doesn't have any calories or fat, the website I buy it off suggests (on the nutritional panel) that it has about 90 calories a cup and a slight amount of fat. I started my fast Sunday. Don't think it's going to fuck me up too much, but it looks like I'm gonna have to go to green tea tomorrow and throughout. That's gonna be a double whammy -- caffeine withdrawals and hunger.

🙏

Black coffee with nothing added to it (no sugar or milk) is only 0-2 calories. You don't need to cut coffee if you don't want to, just find an alternative product.

DavidGzz

1-2 day water fasts and a reasonable daily diet, pick one. And maintaining lean mass as we age should be a top priority. Mobility, and all. Btw, breaking the fast does nothing. Fasting is just a tool to limit total calories, it has no special benefits besides that. Don't believe the propaganda around it. So have your 90 calories coffee drink. 90 calories in a day will still put you in a huge deficit.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

1-2 day water fasts and a reasonable daily diet, pick one. And maintaining lean mass as we age should be a top priority. Mobility, and all. Btw, breaking the fast does nothing. Fasting is just a tool to limit total calories, it has no special benefits besides that. Don't believe the propaganda around it. So have your 90 calories coffee drink. 90 calories in a day will still put you in a huge deficit.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6836141/ It's seems like a fairly reliable source.

My maintain concern with taking in something in the neighborhood of 90 calories is probably stopping the process of lowering my appetite. And there seem to be all sort of conflicting ideas regarding how many calories, or even if any calories, can break a fast.

DavidGzz

"Primarily due to a lack of research, the evidence supporting fasting as a treatment in human neurological disorders, including neurodegeneration, stroke, epilepsy, and multiple sclerosis, is indirect or non-existent."

"Despite this promise, the state of the evidence in humans is extremely limited; many more studies are needed before the actual clinical efficacy of fasting as a therapy in human neurological disorders can be ascertained. Yet if these studies can be prioritized, perhaps the day will come when fasting regimens are prescribed alongside medication-based approaches, culminating in the inception of a unified metabolic approach, capable of modifying not only the symptoms, but also the natural course, of the most common, disabling neurological diseases in existence."

So, for now, nothing is proven via actual studies but it won't hurt to test it out if you suffer from these conditions. I'd say that any fat loss that allows one to improve their health should help with most ailments and if fasting is how you want to go about losing said fat, then go for it. I do IF some days to reduce calories or to prepare for a meal out with family.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
being in my late 40s now and having been in the extreme ups and downs of going from extremely in shape building muscle in my twenties to not so much in my thirties to horribly overweight back to in shape I have learned a few things that not many diet/work out books or YouTubers seem to tell you that I would like to share.

1. Don’t go by calories burned! It’s not a good number. Walking 2 miles does a lot more for you than just burning a few calories during the walk. It helps stimulate your body and muscles to be constantly burning more calories all the time. It also helps mentally providing the motivation needed for a healthy lifestyle.

2. Lifting weights helps tremendously more than aerobics. You don’t need to be Arnold bench pressing 400lbs. Any form of weight training will help stimulate your body and muscles. Which again has a long lasting effect of constantly burning more calories.

3. Diet is 90% of your weight gain which means crash diets won’t work long term.
Lots of people say this but it’s true. A proper diet is a life style change. If you absolutely can’t do this then you might as well go buy some more sweat pants and Cheetos.

4. Eat less of what you love and not more of what you don’t. Of course there are limits . You can’t just eat doughnuts. But a lot of people will tell you things like eat a ton of broccoli to fill you up. This won’t work long term as you are keeping the same stretched stomach … keeping that same level of emptiness that needs to be filled. For a lot of people fasting helps a lot in this area. But anyway, cutting back on foods you love instead of getting rid of then means you are more likely to keep eating better and smaller portions than breaking a huge portion broccoli diet by eating a whole pizza to fill that same space.

5. Try not to drink your calories, water and diet sodas. But also it’s never all or nothing. If you are drinking 6 cokes a day move down to 4 with 2 waters or 3 regular cokes with 3 coke zeros. Any sustainable change is better than no change.

6. Experiment with food. This is simple. Try new things, like I found that I really like uncured turkey bacon. Not the horrible thin stuff like 99% of what you see in the grocery store. I also like to mix two eggs with egg substitute like egg beaters. Mix ground beef with different fat content. You may not like 90% lean but you may like 87. Even experiment with meal times themselves. Some people do better eating large breakfast and small dinners.

7. Slow burn foods are better than cutting out foods. High density meat and brown rice are all examples of slow burn foods. What this means is it takes longer for your body to digest them in turn keeping your metabolism up. Just keep the portion size reasonable.

again just some of my opinions and findings over the years. Maybe it will help some others.

GeekyDad

being in my late 40s now and having been in the extreme ups and downs of going from extremely in shape building muscle in my twenties to not so much in my thirties to horribly overweight back to in shape I have learned a few things that not many diet/work out books or YouTubers seem to tell you that I would like to share.

1. Don’t go by calories burned! It’s not a good number. Walking 2 miles does a lot more for you than just burning a few calories during the walk. It helps stimulate your body and muscles to be constantly burning more calories all the time. It also helps mentally providing the motivation needed for a healthy lifestyle.

2. Lifting weights helps tremendously more than aerobics. You don’t need to be Arnold bench pressing 400lbs. Any form of weight training will help stimulate your body and muscles. Which again has a long lasting effect of constantly burning more calories.

3. Diet is 90% of your weight gain which means crash diets won’t work long term.
Lots of people say this but it’s true. A proper diet is a life style change. If you absolutely can’t do this then you might as well go buy some more sweat pants and Cheetos.

4. Eat less of what you love and not more of what you don’t. Of course there are limits . You can’t just eat doughnuts. But a lot of people will tell you things like eat a ton of broccoli to fill you up. This won’t work long term as you are keeping the same stretched stomach … keeping that same level of emptiness that needs to be filled. For a lot of people fasting helps a lot in this area. But anyway, cutting back on foods you love instead of getting rid of then means you are more likely to keep eating better and smaller portions than breaking a huge portion broccoli diet by eating a whole pizza to fill that same space.

5. Try not to drink your calories, water and diet sodas. But also it’s never all or nothing. If you are drinking 6 cokes a day move down to 4 with 2 waters or 3 regular cokes with 3 coke zeros. Any sustainable change is better than no change.

6. Experiment with food. This is simple. Try new things, like I found that I really like uncured turkey bacon. Not the horrible thin stuff like 99% of what you see in the grocery store. I also like to mix two eggs with egg substitute like egg beaters. Mix ground beef with different fat content. You may not like 90% lean but you may like 87. Even experiment with meal times themselves. Some people do better eating large breakfast and small dinners.

7. Slow burn foods are better than cutting out foods. High density meat and brown rice are all examples of slow burn foods. What this means is it takes longer for your body to digest them in turn keeping your metabolism up. Just keep the portion size reasonable.

again just some of my opinions and findings over the years. Maybe it will help some others.
Wow, sounds like we've had very similar lifestyles.

When our daughter (the oldest) was born, both my wife and I quit smoking, and yeah, I started to pack on weight over the course of about 10 years. Finally got into a workplace I was comfortable with, felt rewarded by, and ended up changing my diet drastically -- but slowly over the course of a year or two. Been eating that way for almost 10 years now. What's been the most difficult are two things, side by side: stress due to illness, which often would cause me to eat more at the end of the day on certain days (still healthy foods, but too much, nonetheless) and being on mandatory medical leave for the second time in about two years. I'll be honest, I know I just have to listen to my own clock and stuff, but I have been feeling a bit desperate, watching my weight go up a bit and my activity drop to a lot less. Been walking at my local rec center daily, and do the yard once or twice a week. It helps.

p.s. -- The steroids during radiation treatment didn't help. I went from being very under-weight and fragile to heaping on a few extra pounds. But it was necessary just to walk.
I didn't eat for 36 hours, forgot that food was a thing.

A bag of baby carrots is a fun snack. Good mood food. Try it!
Love carrots! I put carrots, radishes, zuc, cauliflower (sometimes alternate with broc) and tomato with green onions in every salad every day. I absolutely love crunchy veggies.

Fools idol

Banned
Don't let the fitness industry fool you - it's all about calories in, calories out.

Very little evidence to support many of the fad diets that get peddled by companies selling supplements and what not.

If we take a look at the diets of the longest living human cultures are typically Japanese / asian regions. Traditional diets there are high in oily fish, vegetables, rice. Average Japanese persons diet is far healthier than western counterparts.

Italian diet also very good, rich in fish, legumes, whole grains.

Also it has been proven time and time again that giving the body time to fast has huge health benefits + helps to lose excess weight. A fasting period of 12 hours per 24 is ideal. I typically skip breakfast and eat 2 large meals at 1pm and 7pm each day, the fat melted off me during the first 6 months before stabilising and I started lifting to build muscle mass. I'm in pretty good shape now. I still have treats here and there but only 2-3 times a week max. No snacking, never been much of a grazer

Staple ingredients to ensure you are getting nutrients your body needs;

Red meat (B12, great source of iron, protein)
Wholegrain rice (fibre, vitamins, solid carbohydrate for energy)
Fish (squid, salmon, mackeral are amazing and taste good)
Avocados (high fibre and healthy fats)
Pistachios (taste great, high nutrients)
Dates (high fibre ,taste amazing)
Oatmeal
Sweet potatoes (vitamin A, rich in antioxidants)
Blueberries
Tomatoes
If you really want a treat, go with very high % cocoa dark chocolate. High in fibre and antioxidants.

You're good.

Last edited:
The main thing you need to do is cook for yourself, and be mindful of how much you eat on thanksgiving and Christmas.

Unfortunately that is much easier said than done because we are programmed by advertisers to want whatever they show us.

Diets imo are for people who actually need them to function like a normal person in their daily life. Like if you have POTS you can do low inflammation diets.

I do think that 10-12 hour fasting is effective, and can be added to your arsenal.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Anybody try Cloudies?

51836582466_3a129d00cf_z.jpg

I'm guessin' they ain't cheap. Worth it? I believe there's a store nearby that supposedly sells them. Haven't priced 'em yet, though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom