• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agraavan

Ok so I decided to go arena for the first time to see how I'd do - did pretty badly. 5-3 Hunter deck.

Now I'm going to try playing some ranked.
This is in no way, shape or form a "pretty bad" run, especially for your first try and being new to the game. It's more than most people (and probably you) will average.

You should feel good with this run, at least for now while you are still learning the ropes of the game.

Haunted

Ok so I decided to go arena for the first time to see how I'd do - did pretty badly. 5-3 Hunter deck.

Now I'm going to try playing some ranked.
5 wins is pretty good!

Just because pro players average more wins in arena doesn't mean that we plebes can expect the same treatment. :D My highest win ever was 11 and I expect my average to be somewhere around 4 wins.

Jadax

can you link your public heartharena profile?
Blizz has hearthstone profiles? I didn't know that - can you link to me, I can't seem to find mine.

This is in no way, shape or form a "pretty bad" run, especially for your first try and being new to the game. It's more than most people (and probably you) will average.

You should feel good with this run, at least for now while you are still learning the ropes of the game.
Really? that's kind of depressing looking at the rewards for 4 or less wins. Doesn't seem like Arena is worth it in the long-run then.

5 wins is pretty good!

Just because pro players average more wins in arena doesn't mean that we plebes can expect the same treatment. :D My highest win ever was 11 and I expect my average to be somewhere around 4 wins.
To be honest I didn't even know Arena was this tough, I just started playing a couple of days ago and assumed 12 was quite achievable. If 5 wins is good, then I'm happy :)

Really? that's kind of depressing looking at the rewards for 4 or less wins. Doesn't seem like Arena is worth it in the long-run then.

To be honest I didn't even know Arena was this tough, I just started playing a couple of days ago and assumed 12 was quite achievable. If 5 wins is good, then I'm happy :)

You have to look at it like this: packs are 100 gold. Every arena run comes with a pack as a reward. So you only need to get 50g as a reward in order to come out ahead, and this happens pretty consistently at 3 wins and up.

And, personally, I really love drafting. So even if I have a bad run that costs me 30, it's not all that bad either.

sgjackson

Blizz has hearthstone profiles? I didn't know that - can you link to me, I can't seem to find mine.

nah, but heartharena does. these are my runs since the full brm rollout.

edit: my current run is hilarious:

WimiiYvl.jpg

Jadax

You have to look at it like this: packs are 100 gold. Every arena run comes with a pack as a reward. So you only need to get 50g as a reward in order to come out ahead, and this happens pretty consistently at 3 wins and up.

And, personally, I really love drafting. So even if I have a bad run that costs me 30, it's not all that bad either.
True I guess arena has its pros as well. BTW how do you make the 150g to enter arena if e.g. you don't recoup that gold?

nah, but heartharena does. these are my runs since the full brm rollout.

edit: my current run is hilarious:

WimiiYvl.jpg
Wow that site actually looks really good - they have a deck builder too. This is going to come in handy!

Also, I noticed you got 12 wins once - grats :p

True I guess arena has its pros as well. BTW how do you make the 150g to enter arena if e.g. you don't recoup that gold?

I don't play every day, so I usually use quests to get some extra gold, plug the pittance that comes with Play mode wins. I think I average 4-5 wins in arena, so I'm not usually that far off another run at any one time.

It also helps to reroll quests to try to get 60g ones, or the 100g one, if possible.

Side question: that infinite reroll bug was fixed a while ago, right? I haven't tried it in forever.

Heropon

I was doing pretty well in Arena with Warlock and managed 7-0 until the crazy opponents came like a lucky Hunter and a constructed mage and I finished 8-3. The streaks in this game are crazy. Thankfully I got 80 gold in profit in this run and my first Annoy-o-tron.

sgjackson

Wow that site actually looks really good - they have a deck builder too. This is going to come in handy!

Also, I noticed you got 12 wins once - grats :p

you're guaranteed 150g if you win 7 games in a run. i average a bit short of that (probably 6.5 if I'm being honest with myself) and average about 135g per run. quests make up the rest, usually, so i'm usually about even on gold with an 800g or so cushion.

that's not my first 12 win run - i started a second hs account to do arenas on when brm started and made a heartharena account to stat track on it. i've had a few others on my main account. so far i haven't had to do any constructed and have basically broken even on gold so i'm pretty happy.

I guess it's a lot since it's 2 of the 9 classes, but that still means i face the other classes more often. I don't really mind. Your class in arena doesn't determine how many wins you're going to get. It's possible to do well with all of them and my winrates are about teh same against every class.

I guess it's a lot since it's 2 of the 9 classes, but that still means i face the other classes more often. I don't really mind. Your class in arena doesn't determine how many wins you're going to get. It's possible to do well with all of them and my winrates are about teh same against every class.

But you are a very limited sample size. Plus, the other classes are front-weighted. You will see a decent mix early on, but once you get to 6 or 7 wins, it's Mage and Paladin city. Other classes can get there, of course, but that usually means they had an _insane_draft.

What makes Mage (and Pally) so effective in Arena is that their most powerful cards are Commons: Flamestrike, Fireball, Polymorph, Water Elemental, Snowchugger etc. Because of this, they get them much more often than other classes get their equivalents.

Plus, both hero powers are insanely good in the Arena format.

I guess it's a lot since it's 2 of the 9 classes, but that still means i face the other classes more often. I don't really mind. Your class in arena doesn't determine how many wins you're going to get.

Mage - Very hard not to have a good deck
Paladin - With a few key cards, you'll have a good deck

Everybody else - Cross your fingers.

Which is why you see Mage and Paladin so often, at least half the time and more so as you advance. Sure your class doesn't determine the amount of wins, but there is a massive difference in the likelihood of wins.

Dahbomb

Most players aren't the top tier players who always pick Mage and Paladin even then you don't always get to play those classes in Arena. At lower ranks you get enough variety in the classes.

Plus as more cards are added the balance at the top end grows closer together. The new cards dilute the existing godlike cards of the top classes making it less likely for them to get those power cards. Before it was very likely to see Mages with 4 Fireballs or 4 Flamestrikes, now it's far less common. I personally have run many Mage/Paladin runs with out getting Fireballs/Flamestrikes/True Silvers/Consecrates etc.

That said Mage/Paladin are still the best especially Mage who still has a crap load of godlike cards they can get.

Gotchaye

It's worth noting that small numbers make a huge difference in terms of what classes you're likely to see in Arena. A trace class (a class chosen so rarely that it never plays against itself) with a 55% chance of winning each game is going to be about 70% over-represented in games at 7+ wins relative to classes with a 50% chance to win each game.

What stats I've seen show that classes' average wins aren't very different, but that's consistent with very small advantages which cause later Arena games to be dominated by a few classes.

CoolOff

So, I drafted a bit heavy on the lategame with this Rogue:

2 x Assassinate
1 x Fel Reaver
1 x Boulderfist
2 x Drakonid Crusher
2 x Molten Giant

Should be interesting if I can gain early control...

Jadax

I don't play every day, so I usually use quests to get some extra gold, plug the pittance that comes with Play mode wins. I think I average 4-5 wins in arena, so I'm not usually that far off another run at any one time.

It also helps to reroll quests to try to get 60g ones, or the 100g one, if possible.
Fair enough, so you can do the quests every day to gain atleast that money - and reroll if needed (didn't know that).

Which reminds me, is there a cap on gold earned per day?

you're guaranteed 150g if you win 7 games in a run. i average a bit short of that (probably 6.5 if I'm being honest with myself) and average about 135g per run. quests make up the rest, usually, so i'm usually about even on gold with an 800g or so cushion.

that's not my first 12 win run - i started a second hs account to do arenas on when brm started and made a heartharena account to stat track on it. i've had a few others on my main account. so far i haven't had to do any constructed and have basically broken even on gold so i'm pretty happy.
I was looking through your profile, and it kind of sucks that Blizz doesn't have proper tracking of games - would help to know how people lost, against what kind of decks/plays.

gutshot

Fair enough, so you can do the quests every day to gain atleast that money - and reroll if needed (didn't know that).

Which reminds me, is there a cap on gold earned per day?

I was looking through your profile, and it kind of sucks that Blizz doesn't have proper tracking of games - would help to know how people lost, against what kind of decks/plays.

No cap on the amount of gold you can earn through quests, but you can only earn 100g a day via the 10g every 3 Play mode wins achievement.

_DrMario_

So I'm watching Kaceytron for the first time (I know) since she's playing HS and uh please for the love of god tell me it's just an act.

Holy.

Shit.

Variety in Arena is a double edged sword. If you're up around the 7+ wins group and run into classes that are NOT Mage or Paladin, you're probably going to lose. :)

I still cackle at the time I ran into a Shaman that hit me with five Hexes.

Fucking esported by a mage who pulled Frost Elemental out of his ass(unstable portal) freeze my dr boom preventing me from taking back the board. Fuck Unstable portal so fucking broken.

Rapstah

35feae17.png

I made this. It's so bad if you get a Master Swordsmith since it won't activate on the turn you get it, but it's the only way I could figure out to represent the WoW boss encounter, which I remember wiping to for hours five years ago because people wouldn't get out of the fucking fire and falling shit.

I challenge you to make an Erudax card that in any way represents the boss encounter. "At the end of your turn, deal 1 damage to ALL minions; if any die, summon a Dragon Egg".

Shit, that's almost good. No Faceless art though.

Woah.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
To be honest I think that would be a pretty good card. The only downfall is it doesn't really fit into any of the current Warrior Archtypes.

So I'm watching Kaceytron for the first time (I know) since she's playing HS and uh please for the love of god tell me it's just an act.

Holy.

Shit.
Of course it is.

Here's a panel of women streamers talking about games and streaming and how much it can suck for women. She talks a bit about the character she plays and how she got started.

Part 1
Part 2

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
You know, its a shame Fiery War Axe already has its name, because a Warrior weapon that unfreeze's him on Equip could be really cool.

Lost three games in a row before I was able to find someone in the evening that was as unskilled as I am. Gotta play 30 minions under 2 mana to finish my quest.

sgjackson

i've really contemplated taking screenshots or recording my games so i can go back and see what my mistakes were in more detail. i think my two biggest wishes for hearthstone are a replay system and auto-squelch (i'd rather not open this can of worms but i find bm a little tilting and usually insta-squelch every game to avoid this problem)

FeD.nL

Well that flamewaker destroyed me, and seriously is every fucking mage secret viable atm? Just now I played a pseudo freezemage that was running Ice Barrier/Mirror Entity, yesterday the same kind of deck but he was running counterspell and fucking spellbender. Just getting tired of testing out for secrets every game since mage is all I face it seems.

Well that flamewaker destroyed me, and seriously is every fucking mage secret viable atm? Just now I played a pseudo freezemage that was running Ice Barrier/Mirror Entity, yesterday the same kind of deck but he was running counterspell and fucking spellbender. Just getting tired of testing out for secrets every game since mage is all I face it seems.

Kezan.

Secrets are just too good right now not to run it.

Snipe destroys so much of the meta.
Mirror entity against dragons destroys it. Hungry dragon? Not a good idea.
Paladin secrets?... Still suck other than an anti-patron eye for an eye.

But everything else is great.

zoukka

Wow bushPatron retains its power in slow matchups yet absolutely crushes facehunter! Just the deck I was looking for to remain sane in the meta.

Minsc

Gold Member
While the reaction was unnecessary, just curious why would you run handlock in casual. Even if you were just completing a quest there are far more efficient lock decks to do that with.

Casual doesn't mean quicker or easier. Though perhaps he was hoping for some quick concedes with such a deck. Ever try playing a steal-everything Priest in casual? Can easily be your quickest class to get quests done with. Most people don't want to play vs a Priest to begin with, since the games are super-long, let alone one that uses all your cards against you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom