• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearts of Iron IV |OT| Pimp My Reich

Can only play when I get home in an hour or so, think I'll be going Soviets again for my first match and see how I fair compared to the first time playing them in HoI 2 and 3.

Fitz

enhanced-14836-1414320930-8.jpg

It's actually not that bad, as someone with plenty of Paradox exp but basically zero HoI exp, just have to accept that some mysteries take time to be made clear.

First game I picked France, but I forgot about turning on Ironman so I restarted. However, France has so much stuff it kind of felt overwhelming. So I picked Brazil instead, seems like a good country to get the basics down. I can slowly build up and get familiar with the game.

Nete

First game I picked France, but I forgot about turning on Ironman so I restarted. However, France has so much stuff it kind of felt overwhelming. So I picked Brazil instead, seems like a good country to get the basics down. I can slowly build up and get familiar with the game.

Italy is usually *the* country for HoI newbies. Not too big nor too small. In the middle of the fun, with an easy war at the start (Ethiopia), a pretty good test at Egypt-Libya once the big party starts, and some interesting ways to expand under Germany watch. You will also be forced to manage a decent sized army, navy and air force.

Jinroh

I spent so many hours on HOI2 and 3. Tonight I prepared beers and monster energy drinks, and I've just realized I understand nothing about HOI4.

I'll probably have to postpone my first game for when I'm sober.

I just created the Berlin-Moscow Axis. Sorry world.

Having a lot of fun already after 3 hours or so of playing.

Edit: And 3 days later they leave again. Damn you, Stalin!

Fitz

Does anyone know how manpower works in this game? For instance, in HOI3 manpower grew at a certain rate, but in HOI4 manpower is based on a flat percentage of the population. Does population grow, or are you stuck with a fixed amount of manpower for the entire war (including what you gain from conquest)?

Not sure if you ever found out, but I'm just looking at the population tooltip for a province right now, and it's showing a monthly growth of 0.12% with a breakdown for military and civilian real numbers.

edit: took a screenshot

RCNlILm.jpg

Erheller

I spent so many hours on HOI2 and 3. Tonight I prepared beers and monster energy drinks, and I've just realized I understand nothing about HOI4.

I'll probably have to postpone my first game for when I'm sober.

Play it drunk! What's the worst that could happen?

Volodja

Mid to late 1942 and the US have finally decided to join the allies.
I guess my fun in India as fascist Bhutan is now over, the front line went from being free domain for encircling divisions by the handful to being pretty much an impenetrable iron wall.

I gotta say, the player needs to do quite a bit of micromanaging to actually get anywhere in situation where you aren't flat out smashing the opponents, but the generals help a ton with cutting down the more boring micro parts like covering the whole front line and filling the empty spots when the front line changes.
The enemy AI may be a little too bad at actually getting itself encircled, however.

No interest in this...

It shouldn't be titled HoI4, as it targets a completely different audience from HoI2 and 3, that were a lot more complex and specialized and somewhat "old-school".

It's an attempt to make a wargame playable by those who don't usually play wargames, but it also means it's not a wargame for those who enjoy the complexity of an actual one. And not another mid-tier strategic game.

Yeah, my Brazil game is clusterfuck. Paraguay is messing me up hard. However, Japan is GOAT and it looks like they are going to bail me out. Lol

Pretty fun so far though.

WTF Japan. We were winning, but then all of a sudden they just stop attacking and just leave and I'm fucked now lol.

Waaghals

After realizing that Stellaris had several fundamentally broken gameplay systems I am holding off on this.

Maybe after a few add-ons and some hotfixes I'll pick this up.

The complexity is also rather off putting, but I really want to get into this.

Dennis

Banned

This is me.

Except I am still at work.

*ba dum tss*

No strategy game has yet succeeded in outsmarting Dennis.

I like to believe that have I not devoted my life to science I would be Field Marshall of the United Nations of Earth Forces by now.

Impulsor

This is me.

Except I am still at work.

*ba dum tss*

No strategy game has yet succeeded in outsmarting Dennis.

I like to believe that have I not devoted my life to science I would now be Field Marshall of the United Nations of Earth Forces.

That's me too, finished the tutorial and have some basic understanding of stuff... but lots of learning to do still.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I don't have any time for this (already trying to find time for Stellaris is an issue), but I'm gonna likely pick it up at some point anyway.

After realizing that Stellaris had several fundamentally broken gameplay systems I am holding off on this.

Maybe after a few add-ons and some hotfixes I'll pick this up.

The complexity is also rather off putting, but I really want to get into this.

I'm waiting on Stellaris but I may buy this before an expansion if the historical mode works as intended.

It has the exact same technical issue stellaris did, on the surface book. You get a blank screen unless you set borderless windowed, but then if you do that you get a barely visible interface because you can't control the resolution unless you're full screen or proper windowed.

The giant cursor always obscures the name of everything you mouse over and you need to squint like a mofo ro read some things.

xealo

Suppose that passes for a somewhat ok first session.

Started playing as Sweden in 1936 and joined the allies. Got pulled into a war with Soviet whom Britain & co is involved in when standing up for finland. Will see where this goes.

UUli7qT.jpg

Still don't know exactly how strength or organization actually works. At least I have a nice easy war against Ethiopia to practice against whose army sucks and has only basic infantry with no aircraft, ships or tanks.

Volodja

Still don't know exactly how strength or organization actually works. At least I have a nice easy war against Ethiopia to practice against whose army sucks and has only basic infantry with no aircraft, ships or tanks.
Strenght is basically how close to being completely manned and equipped your army is and organization is basically like morale in the other paradox games, I'd say.

It has the exact same technical issue stellaris did, on the surface book. You get a blank screen unless you set borderless windowed, but then if you do that you get a barely visible interface because you can't control the resolution unless you're full screen or proper windowed.

The giant cursor always obscures the name of everything you mouse over and you need to squint like a mofo ro read some things.

I have this problem in crusader kings 2 on a touch enabled laptop

frontovik

Banned
To any HoI beginners, I'd strongly recommend playing the Tutorial & starting off as Italy.

The mechanics were a tad overwhelming at first, but I'm starting to get the hang of the game now. I've switched from Fascism to Communism, and have joined the Soviet Union's faction. Now planning to re-militarize and take over Yugoslavia and the Balkan nations.

CzarTim

They made setting up infantry so easy that setting up air and naval stuff feels like a chore.

Really liking it so far. In 1939 as Italy and eagerly awaiting Germany to get the ball rolling.

fanboi

Banned
Started as Sweden.

No idea what I am doing.

Spread the word of our Lord and saviour facism.

UK not so happy demand I stop dealing with Germany or invade, flip the finger at em.

UK invade.

Gets invited to big boys club Axis, they join war.

Took Finland.

It's fine.

WW2 started over a trade dispute...

Pretty fun game going as Germany. Messed around in the Balkans for a bit, puppet Greece, Croatia, Yugoslavia and Turkey. Japan and Italy in my faction. Did the Sudetenland event pretty late, and France and England got into a fight over it, so France LEAVES the Allies. Invade through Italy, they now own Southern France while I got the North and Czechoslovakia. Without getting the Allies involved, so peace for me to regroup.

Meanwhile Poland is begging to join my faction because the Soviets invaded and they need protection. Not right now buddy.

Pretty hooked. Hope it stays as much fun in the long run.

Fascist NZ is apparently the Kiwi Empire, because we needed more silliness after the Empire of the Platypus for Australia apparently.

facepalm.png

MoonGred

Being stuck at work for another 7 hours while HOI is downloading at home is excruciating. It'll be my first of the series and I've got a very limited experience with other Paradox games, seeing you guys praising the tutorial is a welcome sight.

Can you play as any country you want? I'm aware that some countries are listed as great nations (and have their own tech and decision tree while others have a generic one?), but could you hypothetically start as Luxembourg, officially adopt fascism and go to town on France?

I've switched from Fascism to Communism, and have joined the Soviet Union's faction. Now planning to re-militarize and take over Yugoslavia and the Balkan nations.

...Well. This was made impossible in HoI3. It was literally a locked option.

So at least on this they made a step forward.

Can you play as any country you want? I'm aware that some countries are listed as great nations (and have their own tech and decision tree while others have a generic one?), but could you hypothetically start as Luxembourg, officially adopt fascism and go to town on France?

Yes, Lux is playable, so is Albania. Any country on the map is playable. Secondary powers do not have unique national focus trees or units, but are arguably unrealistically powerful in many ways since you'll have these tiny no-name nations pursuing their own domestic fighter programmes or light tank designs that they never could have done in RL.

MoonGred

Yes, Lux is playable, so is Albania. Any country on the map is playable. Secondary powers do not have unique national focus trees or units, but are arguably unrealistically powerful in many ways since you'll have these tiny no-name nations pursuing their own domestic fighter programmes or light tank designs that they never could have done in RL.

I suppose them being overpowered is for the sake of keeping the game interesting, I can't imagine a Belgian campaign where you're just occupied and powerless being any fun.

Does the limited numbers of playable years shorten the game substantially compared to CK2/EU4 where you span 100s of years?

I suppose them being overpowered is for the sake of keeping the game interesting, I can't imagine a Belgian campaign where you're just occupied and powerless being any fun.

Does the limited numbers of playable years shorten the game substantially compared to CK2/EU4 where you span 100s of years?

The game runs from 1936 onwards, with technologies ending in around 1946-48 or so. You can continue playing after that if you want but there won't be any new techs.

This is only 10 years but each day goes for 24 ticks instead of 1, since it's calculated hourly. It's more like 240 years of EU4 in terms of timespan, but that's not an exact 1:1 because the game is faster paced than EU4 based on what I've played. Definitely closer to Victoria 2 game length than EU4 game length overall.

Still pissed East vs. West got canned, why can't they just integrate that into the very late game of HoI???

My dreams of a Shadow President modern successor will never happen!

GodofWine

I'll have to look into the multiplayer, would be fun to run a coop war.

I remember back when either Hoi or Hoi2 was out, I installed it on my work computer and alt tabbed through a few wars :)

Almighty

Well I am doing my first play through as Japan and so far it is going well. I am really feeling the lack of raw materials though. My war with China is going well so far, but I am always worried the US will eventually intervene if I expand too fast. The Soviet Union is also a worry with all the troops they have on my border and my best divisions fighting in China, hopefully Germany gets their attention sooner rather than later.

On a side note those European colonies in the South China sea with all that oil and rubber are mighty tempting. One thing at a time.

Once I am done with Japan the next thing I will do is find a way to mod the US into being fascist so I can go to town on the rest of the world. All will fall before my fascist American empire.

Are you guys playing with historical focus on or off? Not sure what I am going to choose for my game yet

On, and that's not enough so I'll mod my game to be more realistic sometime over the weekend.

First on the chopping block: Empire of the Platypus, nerfing support regime, removing ideology drift ministers for most countries.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Not sure if you ever found out, but I'm just looking at the population tooltip for a province right now, and it's showing a monthly growth of 0.12% with a breakdown for military and civilian real numbers.

edit: took a screenshot

RCNlILm.jpg
Judging by that screenshot, France doesn't seem to get the population crisis modifier anymore.

HOI4 has fewer ticks than EU4 overall. Plus most players play at speed five for the first few years and probably don't play all the way to 1948.

This game is awesome so far, but the interface is just killing my eyes. I'm having trouble playing for more than half an hour before my eyes are burning and my head is damned near aching. I'm not sure if it's the font size, the tiny buttons, the colors, or what, but my eyes fucking hate this game. It sucks because I want to get deep into it, but it's difficult since I'm in physical pain almost the entire time I'm playing. My resolution is only 1920x1080, too, so it isn't like I'm playing at 4K with microscopic text or anything.

Is anyone else having this problem? Surely it can't just be me, right?

Top Bottom