• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heavenly Sword cameo in the latest Heroes episode (UPDATE: new footage, post #754)

Z3F

Banned
gbovo said:
I take it you've played the game to know how smooth it runs. Whether 60fps or 30fps, as long as it's smooth, that's all that matters really.

The developer of HS said that it would be a 30 FPS. I take it that they're telling the truth. In terms of smoothness, I'll take 95% 60fps over 100% 30 fps anyday.

jett said:
Last we saw of MGS4, it runs like dogshit and animates even worse.

Kojima has always been great with framerate optimization so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. The latest video wasn't as great as the E3 video but it still looked mighty impressive. HS developers hyped their game as having unprecedented character expressions but Solid Snake's expressions convey emotions much better, IMO. In terms of animation, HS's fight scenes just seem to be a minor step up from GOW, DMC, etc while the animation in the fight scene between the Metal Gear and Raiden was something that was beyond the scope of any videogame before.

not really the textures, but the animation combined with the art style make this game very impressive.

i´m glad it turn out to be this good.

i wonder how the games that nobody talks about are developing? (eight days...)

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
seattle6418 said:
not really the textures, but the animation combined with the art style make this game very impressive.

i´m glad it turn out to be this good.

i wonder how the games that nobody talks about are developing? (eight days...)

You mean like 2 Days to Vegas?

28131_med.jpg

Looks like thinks are shaping up quite nicely....:D

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Mmmkay said:
Hmm, I don't recall being the one who designed a giant uncut phallic shaped bazooka. Who do I call to thank for that one?
I just see a pump-action golf bag... *shrugs*

distrbnce

Banned
So what's the story behind the Heroes clip, Nostromo?

Was it an in-house idea that you took directly to NBC? Was it Sony's idea and did they work it all out? Were other games considered?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
distrbnce said:
So what's the story behind the Heroes clip, Nostromo?

Was it an in-house idea that you took directly to NBC? Was it Sony's idea and did they work it all out? Were other games considered?

Nostromo didn't know anything about it. Sony did it themselves. The build of that demo at that time was from November of 2006.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Z3F said:
In terms of animation, HS's fight scenes just seem to be a minor step up from GOW, DMC, etc while the animation in the fight scene between the Metal Gear and Raiden was something that was beyond the scope of any videogame before.
You are comparing the pre-calculated cutscene in MGS4 with a gameplay animation in HS (which I can safely say is major improvement over last gen action games, to say the least).

I'm a huge MGS fan myself, but credit must be given where it's due. Gameplay animation in HS and Assassins Creed is leaving everything else out there in the dust right now. I'd hesitantly incude the White Knight Story and Uncharted in this cream of the crop but before I know for certain what they look like being played, I don't want to. Again, as far as gameplay animation goes, MGS4 has yet to prove itself, and TGS06 video for the most part wasn't up to snuff there compared to the other games I mentioned. The only things that animated really nicely in it where the things with brand new animations, like the MGs. Otherwise, it looked like they recycled the MGS3 animations wherever they could.

jaypah

AAARRRGGGG!!!!!1 I'M ABOUT TO SMACK A BITCH TO DEMONSTRATE HOW AWESOME THIS LOOKS!!!!!

HS is looking quite f*cking stellar. the fluidity is crazy. when she steps off of the dudes nuts it looks.....right. she steps down so naturaly. i used to be down a little on this game because of the lack of a jump button but every single piece of media for this game has blown me the f*ck away. this gen needs more games of this caliber. there's only a handful of games so far that makes my jaw hit the floor and this is one of them. i'll refrain from listing the others as it'll no doubt bring a shit storm. Sony is heating up now and the industry is getting very interesting. this game will shut up a lot of people.

2660heavenly.gif

You guys noticed the object blowing up far away in the sky?

Edit: And again, this game has unprecedenced scale, you can see Nariko taking up 5 percent of the screen, swarm of enemies around her, and then waterfalls and bridges and building that are miles away from action, just as if there weren't any draw distance limitation, and all that with the game looking so great, with all the details you could want in a next-gen game.

jaypah said:
AAARRRGGGG!!!!!1 I'M ABOUT TO SMACK A BITCH TO DEMONSTRATE HOW AWESOME THIS LOOKS!!!!!

HS is looking quite f*cking stellar. the fluidity is crazy. when she steps off of the dudes nuts it looks.....right. she steps down so naturaly. i used to be down a little on this game because of the lack of a jump button but every single piece of media for this game has blown me the f*ck away. this gen needs more games of this caliber. there's only a handful of games so far that makes my jaw hit the floor and this is one of them. i'll refrain from listing the others as it'll no doubt bring a shit storm. Sony is heating up now and the industry is getting very interesting. this game will shut up a lot of people.

One thing I've been struck by, early in this new generation, is the growth in the quality gap between games. I think that the difference between, say, Heavenly Sword and Mass Effect on one end, and the standard-fare action and RPG games being finished up right now is much larger than it was between games of each respective stature in the last generation. I don't see why that gap won't just grow and grow over the next few years. That is, I suspect it'll be even harder to sell your medicore new-gen action game when it's sitting on the shelf next to Heavenly Sword than it was last gen sitting next to God of War.

On the one hand, this is great news for us gamers. On the other hand, it isn't such great news for publishers trying to sell their medicore games made with rapidly increasing budgets of their own.

B-Ri

one thing were really going to miss is E3. It was the one huge extravaganza of comparisons between builds, and consoles.

theBishop said:
lol... Wii is also in a gen of its own.

So Xbox360 is the only next-gen console?

It's not next-gen, it's now-gen, which will be old-gen when the Xbox 720 is announced next year, zomg waffles.

theBishop

Banned
Captain Glanton said:
One thing I've been struck by, early in this new generation, is the growth in the quality gap between games. I think that the difference between, say, Heavenly Sword and Mass Effect on one end, and the standard-fare action and RPG games being finished up right now is much larger than it was between games of each respective stature in the last generation. I don't see why that gap won't just grow and grow over the next few years. That is, I suspect it'll be even harder to sell your medicore new-gen action game when it's sitting on the shelf next to Heavenly Sword than it was last gen sitting next to God of War.

On the one hand, this is great news for us gamers. On the other hand, it isn't such great news for publishers trying to sell their medicore games made with rapidly increasing budgets of their own.

its all about tools and exclusivity.

eventually, someone will develop the next-gen equivalent of Renderware, and the gap won't be so obvious. But key improvements will still be coming primarily from 1st party and exclusives.

theBishop said:
its all about tools and exclusivity.

eventually, someone will develop the next-gen equivalent of Renderware, and the gap won't be so obvious. But key improvements will still be coming primarily from 1st party and exclusives.

Good point. I certainly don't hope that what I posted comes to pass. We'll just have to see.

Busty

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phZQWtTAP5Q - watch it
Looks familiar?
I actually have more faith in it being scripted in-game session, than it being CGi, especially seeing how it uses assets that were already used in tech-demos.

Agreed. I can't believe that we get LAIR (IMHO), Mass Effect (bar fights in space!) and (certainly) Heavenly Sword looking unlike else we've seen so far and yet something like Eight Days just seems totally unrealistic to some people still. I just don't get it. Both LAIR and Heavenly Sword have a sense of epic scope that frankly I would never have believed had I read it and not seen it with my own eyes.

I don't want to open the whole
Killzone
trailer argument up again, but the fact of the matter is, Heavenly Sword has really opened my eyes. I don't see what (apart from the animation I grant you) about that Eight Days trailer looks so unrealistic and unachievable.

Seeing as Harrison's GDC speech (and E3 the yeat before that) from last year heavily featured stuff from Eight Days that then featured in the trailer.

No disrespect to the Eight Day's development team. But the majority of their E3 trailer seems quite tame compared to what we've seen of Heavenly Sword of late.

Dante

Just watched this again on GameVideos.com The music is pretty amazing as well. Didn't notice it the first few times because I was gawking at the graphics :)

Aisenherz

Banned
Busty said:
Considering virtually every other first and (and indeed second) party developer for Sony is multi tasking a Blu Ray and PSn game development I think that Team Ico are also developing a disc based game alongside their PSN effort.
Yup, they do. You could even read it somewhere, a few weeks ago!

Z3F said:
None. I still think that MGS4 looks much better than HS. The animation in the E3 MGS4 video kills the animation of any other action game.
Wait until you see Uncharteds ingame-animation!

Btw: I like Nariko's eyes. Lifeless? BS! They look awesome!!

luca_29_bg

Aisenherz said:
Yup, they do. You could even read it somewhere, a few weeks ago!

Wait until you see Uncharteds ingame-animation!

Btw: I like Nariko's eyes. Lifeless? BS! They look awesome!!

for you what is the best graphic engine,uncharted's engine or cambridge studio's engine ?It's truth that uncharted is downgraded about 10 % shader respect to original trailer ? Im so need to see this game how looks now! :(

Damnit did I have to be banned during that glorious unveiling? And holy ****ing crap this really looks better than I expected, and my expectations were high...

Aeon712

Besides Resistance this was all I was looking forward to in the PS3's first year. Glad to see its looking so awesome.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This game has a truly ethereal look to it. The art design matches the game's directorial vision matches the graphical design matches the title. It's perfect.

And now for potty humor.

Someone take this
2660heavenly.gif

and loop it like 2/3rds way through....*nariko drool*

Top Bottom