• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heavy Rain - A Neogaf Official Thread on the Gaming Forum

Snuggler said:
I just had a weird glitch in the demo where the prostitute seemed to be standing in the wrong spot and she would frequently "teleport" back and forth in the room while talking. When she poofed away the camera would show an empty area but she would still be talking. When she went to have a smoke the pack and cig sort of levitated where she was meant to be and lit itself, it was some trippy shit. Anyone else see this happen?
Yeah happened to me.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
:lol Me too....thought it was pretty amusing.

Yeah it was pretty funny, but the shitty thing about it was that I was trying to show off Heavy Rain to my girlfriend when it happened. I was like "check out this game, it's just like a movie, the characters look so lifelike!" only to have her see a teleporting hooker and levitating cigarettes just a few minutes into the demo. "Uhm, that normally doesn't happen..."

templeusox said:
They are so good at fucking up other things. But the one thing they nail is making the actual games. It leads to so many love/hate relationships with them.

Funny thing is: I only REALLY care about their games and the diversity in their portfolio. The PS2 library, and especially Sony's 1st party efforts, did that for me.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Another review from Norway up, this time from Dagbladet, who gives it 6/6. The review also mentions that the game is unlike anything else, that it's a game that'll be talked about for a long, long time and that the controls might be a bit clunky at times.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Wow, I was looking at the 2006 "casting" vid. The character models in the demo make the 2006 vid look like crap. I've been waiting for this game for a long time, but thank goodness they didn't release it back then.

luxarific said:
Wow, I was looking at the 2006 "casting" vid. The character models in the demo make the 2006 vid look like crap. I've been waiting for this game for a long time, but thank goodness they didn't release it back then.

That was actually never meant to be seen publicly. Quantic Dream made it to test how well the current gen could handle facial animations. Somehow though Sony saw it and asked QD if they could show it at their booth during E3. It was also created in less than 3 months.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
SolidSnakex said:
That was actually never meant to be seen publicly. Quantic Dream made it to test how well the current gen could handle facial animations. Somehow though Sony saw it and asked QD if they could show it at their booth during E3. It was also created in less than 3 months.

I can see why they didn't want to release it. Uncanny valley-ville.

newsguy

Just got back from vacation and got the demo. I love the way QTEs are implemented in the game. Highly stylized, good enough time to push the button but not so much that it's too easy. Voice acting is weird, like sometimes it's ok and other times it's laughable. I think playing ME2 and going straight to this may be why I'm so sensitive to it though. I love the loading thing where you're seeing the facial models up close, it's damn creepy (and at 61 inches it's DAMN creepy). Can't wait till tuesday, the funny thing is I pre ordered this game over a year ago and I totally forgot I paid it off. It feels like I found $60 in my couch cushions.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
newsguy said:
I love the loading thing where you're seeing the facial models up close, it's damn creepy (and at 61 inches it's DAMN creepy).

I have to admit those scenes made me laugh. Look, we even gave them FACIAL PORES!!! :lol

I see and can understand the complaints most of the reviewers have about the Voice Acting but it's not that bad. I think it's just some people were expecting a certain voice to come out of particular characters and since it doesn't match their ideal VO, they decided to take points away.

Either way, I can't wait to finally get this game. Heavy Rain X FF13 X Yakuza 3 X God of War 3 = my wallet crying for help :D

GeekyDad

Crazypanda_85 said:
I see and can understand the complaints most of the reviewers have about the Voice Acting but it's not that bad. I think it's just some people were expecting a certain voice to come out of particular characters and since it doesn't match their ideal VO, they decided to take points away.

Yeah, I personally had no issue (during the demo) with any of the voice work. I liked pretty much everything about the game's presentation. My wife, however, complained that the command prompts were too small to read well. Considering so much of the gameplay seems comprised of hitting those prompts, I hope it doesn't ruin the experience for her (already pre-ordered a copy for her).

MrSerrels

Crazypanda_85 said:

Either way, I can't wait to finally get this game. Heavy Rain X FF13 X Yakuza 3 X God of War 3 = my wallet crying for help :D

I don't think that's it at all. The problem is that the game presents itself as an interactive drama, and demands to be taken seriously, but the voice acting just doesn't match the ambition. Uncharted 2 demolishes Heavy Rain in terms of motion capture and voice acting, and that's a third person shooter/action.

Heavy Rain over promises and under delivers – I don't think the edge review was harsh enough to be honest.

ACE 1991

Oh man... It just finally hit me how crazy the next 4 weeks are going to be for PS3. Next week we get Heavy Rain, then Bad Company 2, then FFXIII, then God Of War III.

Kittonwy

Banned
Combichristoffersen said:
Another review from Norway up, this time from Dagbladet, who gives it 6/6. The review also mentions that the game is unlike anything else, that it's a game that'll be talked about for a long, long time and that the controls might be a bit clunky at times.

Why out of 6.
Indifferent2.gif

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Thought the Eurogamer interview was interesting. Talking about a clip-on thing for the dualshock with lights that could be detected by the PS eye...for a while Sony filed a fair number of patents relating to light patterns on a dualshock as picked up by a camera, for tracking position/orientation. The sixaxis/dualshock already has 4 little leds on the front, but these patents also proposed different led layouts that might have been more useful...and I guess this is where a clip-on might have entered the equation.

Anyway, as it turns out they decided to make something more specific (Arc), but interesting nonetheless.

Also worth noting his comment about future projects - I dunno where people got the idea Sony had signed them to a multi-title deal, but the interview confirms that this wasn't the case. Maybe Sony will be their next publisher, maybe not...I guess a lot may depend on HR's performance. Whoever they sign with, though, I hope they get the time/resources/patience they need to make the type of games they want to make.

Combichristoffersen said:
Because they use a dice to represent what score the movie/album/game reviewed gets
Indifferent2.gif

Like this:
6-large.gif
Why do they want their review scores associated with objects which are intended to produce arbitrary numbers?

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
templeusox said:
Why do they want their review scores associated with objects which are intended to produce arbitrary numbers?

Because.. Because I have no idea, really. I guess it's because VG, the other big tabloid rag in Norway, began using the dice in their reviews way back in 1952, and Dagbladet just ripped off the idea.

An issue I have with the game (one that won't keep me from getting it) is the lack of freedom/options and the seemingly uneccessary awkward anolog commands.

When I appraoch the doors in the demo, they give me an analog stick prompt to interact. Why? I can understand if they gave me the options to: knock, check door knob, kick it down, place ear against etc... so why not just "Press X to knock'? Seems silly. Of course there probably are other areas in the game where they do provide these options and I'm just being anal? (I hope this is true...)

Just played the demo.

At first, the "push a button for every mundane task" was annoying, but it got a bit better as it went on. I liked the investigation part.

The movement scheme was a bit weird, too, but then I remembered it was similar to the best control layout in Resident Evil REmake! :D

EPIC MUDDY HILL CLIMBING. MADE EPIC.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Have any of you played Indigo Prophecy (PS2)? I've read that this is the next iteration of that style of game... does Heavy Rain improve on the flaws? Like the soundtrack being done all by one band? :lol

whytemyke said:
Have any of you played Indigo Prophecy (PS2)? I've read that this is the next iteration of that style of game... does Heavy Rain improve on the flaws? Like the soundtrack being done all by one band? :lol
Donny.jpg

Bishman

Doesn't everyone think that Heavy Rain will be a hard game to discuss? We will all make different decisions as we head on the path to find the Origami killer. But if we discuss out different ways, you are basically ruining the replay value for yourself.

beast786

Bishman said:
Doesn't everyone think that Heavy Rain will be a hard game to discuss? We will all make different decisions as we head on the path to find the Origami killer. But if we discuss out different ways, you are basically ruining the replay value for yourself.

But it also provides great discussion of why "you made that decision". I think more than the decision , its the why that makes this a more emotional /different experience. Finally an adult game.

Replicant

beast786 said:
But it also provides great discussion of why "you made that decision". I think more than the decision , its the why that makes this a more emotional /different experience. Finally an adult game.

I agree. For example, this is not that much of a spoiler since some have already seen it in some of the trailers, but the scene where you have to
cut Ethan's finger
. Would you do it or not?

If it were up to me, I wouldn't do it because I already form an attachment towards the character. But I know if I were the character, he'd want to do it because
in his view, that's the only way he can save his son
. In the first instance, I'm making decision based on what *I* think is good for my character. But in the second one, I'm the character and must make decision on what the character would probably do in such desperate situation.

teekun

Digital-Hero said:
You're telling me. The wait is so unnecessary and borderline laughable. Sony could have launched in all territories simultaneously.

Well, aside from Asia, they basically are. The US, European and Australian release dates are all within a day or so of each other.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Stream? I'd rather wait for DSP if I'm gonna watch the game on the Internet :lol

MrSerrels said:
I don't think that's it at all. The problem is that the game presents itself as an interactive drama, and demands to be taken seriously, but the voice acting just doesn't match the ambition. Uncharted 2 demolishes Heavy Rain in terms of motion capture and voice acting, and that's a third person shooter/action.

Heavy Rain over promises and under delivers – I don't think the edge review was harsh enough to be honest.

I do agree the VA in Uncharted 2 was better than Heavy Rain but I don't think the motion capture demolishes Heavy Rain's. I do think that Heavy Rain does deliver but it does have it's flaws. Since Heavy Rain is going for a super realistic feel, it's easy to see where it falls short. Since we live in the real world, it's easy to see when something that mimics it doesn't meet that goal.

As of over promises, I don't think QD ever over promised how effective Heavy Rain would be on the player. (This is where we go into opinion's territory) I feel that this game will not connect with everyone but that's okay, games that take risks are not made for everyone to enjoy. You can't please everyone and if you're trying to bring a unique experience, then you are asking for the naysayers to come out and challenge your product. Heavy Rain is a unique game no matter what people say and I'm glad that it exist.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Replicant said:
Noooooo!! Must...resist....aw, fuck it. *watching now*
Don't. Please don't.
netguy503 said:
Why is that fat ass so popular!?!
He's funny :)

luxarific said:
Given that Heavy Rain is all about the story, I don't know why you'd ruin it for yourself.

OH Crap! I should've listened to you instead of clicking the link. I think I just saw who the killer was :eek:( I haven't been this disappointed since someone told me that Bruce Willis was dead at the end of Sixth Sense before I got past the first act.

Replicant

Yoshichan said:
Don't. Please don't.

He's funny :)

Well, the streaming is not working for me so far......so I guess I can't watch it now. Probably a good thing too.

EDIT: Yeah, streaming totally not working for me.

Yoshichan

Replicant said:
Well, the streaming is not working for me so far......so I guess I can't watch it now. Probably a good thing too.
You're lucky, close the tab and don't click it again :)! For your owe good!

Top Bottom