• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heavy Rain Revealed on Next Week's GTTV

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
This doesn't look like a video game. This looks more like a "choose your own adventure" movie.

jett

D-Member
ZealousD said:
This doesn't look like a video game. This looks more like a "choose your own adventure" movie.

It is pretty much an interactive movie, no matter what David Cage says.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
ZealousD said:
what is game

stuburns said:
I said that on the last page (or possible an earlier one). The "QTEs, fuck that", style responses are their fault for making it look like that. However, I don't think it's an accurate description of what is actually happening.

This part of the issue with how to market it, unless they're planning 8 minute documentary style ads, I'm not sure how they'll make this clear. If it was going to live on non-gamers then sure, they wouldn't know better, and it's easy for them to understand how to play, but I'm fairly sure it's only the hardcore gamers who will buy it, and they are the people who hate the traditional QTE.

I was thinking the trailer or ads should simply be like movie trailer and ads. no need to really explain the gameplay imo. if the story is truly interesting people will probably buy that from that alone.

so, 2-3 minute trailer, used solely to explain backstory and premise of the story. use movie trailer narrator as well.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Callibretto said:
I was thinking the trailer or ads should simply be like movie trailer and ads. no need to really explain the gameplay imo. if the story is truly interesting people will probably buy that from that alone.

so, 2-3 minute trailer, used solely to explain backstory and premise of the story. use movie trailer narrator as well.
I could see this being great as a trailer in a movie theater. Put it in with the rest of the actual films and not some commercial beforehand. Sony Pictures could do this.

JCreasy

Ploid 3.0 said:
Man Jayden is so pimp how he activate ARI. It's like, bam, woosh, bleep. Very cool, I like it.

Yeah, it makes me wonder what other kind of high-tech gadgetry we might see in this game.

Early on I imagined that this same engine would work great for a Ghost in the Shell game, mostly because I was hoping to see some kind of hi-tech science fiction use worked into the context of an adventure game. I was dying to using something like the HUD in Iron Man. THEN May 22 comes along and I see that Heavy Rain has already taken care of that! AWESOME!

JB1981

Ploid 3.0 said:
Ok I saw the Gamevideos/1up video HD via download. You guys are crazy man, that stuff looked great. Maybe it's just me, and my turning every setting down to minimum on PC, but I do have Killzone2, finished uncharted, and other stuff. It looked very detailed, I especially liked the graphics when the guy jumped on top of the car and started swinging.

I think you guys expect way too much from games.

Exactly what I was thinking. Just got done watching some of the GT footage myself and came away impressed. I come to GAF to see the reaction and of course, it's mostly negative w/ Jett (Mr. Negativity) bitching up a storm.

David Cage seems to love the image of s single middle ages women walking around in her apartment with panties on...:lol Carla had some similar scenes in Fahrenheit.

Anyways, looks more QTE heavy than I would like, the detective stuff looks highly interesting though.

JCreasy

Darkpen said:
So is there any info on what's up with Jayden's right hand? It looks like it effects his glasses in some way.

Yup

"ayden uses a prototype device: the ARI (Alternate Reality Interface), comprised of a pair of glasses and a glove linked together. The glasses are capable of detecting fingerprints, ADN remnants, blood trails and such that'd normally be invisible to the human eye. The glove allows for inmediate analysis of the substances bypassing the wait for lab results."

Why is everyone calling it a QTE fest when he already stated you fully control the character during normal gameplay and only during "specific action sequences" there are QTE's?? So if there are only 10 action sequences that last 1min out of 5+hrs of gameplay Heavy Rain is considered an interactive movie and not a game? :lol

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
MWS Natural said:
Why is everyone calling it a QTE fest when he already stated you fully control the character during normal gameplay and only during "specific action sequences" there are QTE's?? So if there are only 10 action sequences that last 1min out of 5+hrs of gameplay Heavy Rain is considered an interactive movie and not a game? :lol

Because once the QTE starts it never fucking ends, just like Fahrenheit.

MWS Natural said:

Because regardless of what he's said, most of the footage they have shown thus far has been heavy on such events?

I think that QTE's are inherently annoying. They really just don't add anything to the gameplay imo. "Press L1 here", "Tap X here", whats the point? I've heard Cage get into all that "The physical angst that your character is going through is reminiscent of what you are going through with the QTE" stuff and I think it's bullshit. They are just a way for designers to have cool, cinematic scenes in their games while still adding a small amount of interactivity.

PowderedToast

My expectations are just based off what Cage has said. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he say a while ago that they'd finally conquered the uncanny valley with their tech? This was before we saw the first Madison video. I think it was around the time the video of the eyes was released.

Well anyway, that's just been confirmed as hyperbole. I've seen much better lip-syncing and voice acting than this. I'm actually really disappointed, I hope it improves.

.GqueB.

Banned
Liara T'Soni said:
Because regardless of what he's said, most of the footage they have shown thus far has been heavy on such events?

I think that QTE's are inherently annoying. They really just don't add anything to the gameplay imo. "Press L1 here", "Tap X here", whats the point? I've heard Cage get into all that "The physical angst that your character is going through is reminiscent of what you are going through with the QTE" stuff and I think it's bullshit. They are just a way for designers to have cool, cinematic scenes in their games while still adding a small amount of interactivity.
But if said interactivity can change the very scene and moreso the game and story as a whole is it still even considered a QTE by definition? Not many QTE's function this way. None that Ive played. So how is it even a QTE?

I dont think many people in this thread are asking themselves these questions and because of that I feel many of you are missing the point.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
PowderedToast said:
My expectations are just based off what Cage has said. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he say a while ago that they'd finally conquered the uncanny valley with their tech? This was before we saw the first Madison video. I think it was around the time the video of the eyes was released.

Well anyway, that's just been confirmed as hyperbole. I've seen much better lip-syncing and voice acting than this. I'm actually really disappointed, I hope it improves.

The demo with the girl going in the taxidermy's house was nicer graphically than what we have now, but moved the same way.

They never managed to have really convincing facial expressions, they put too much emphasis on the eyes, not enough on the eyebrows and the mouth.

Ether_Snake said:
Because once the QTE starts it never fucking ends, just like Fahrenheit.
Pretty much. Like that title, it seems all quite theoretically good 'n all (with a nice sense of janky but stylish presentation), but falls flat in execution when all you're actually doing is letting the game tell you that there's something important to interact with or not which leaves little left for the player to think about...just react in the most limited and spoon-fed fashion whether you're in a fast paced action sequence (of button presses shown to you and especially arbitrary controller motions to perform) or just pressing buttons that correspond to on-screen visuals that the game limits you to when 'looking for clues' or 'investigating'. Whatever hope for this to actually be as cool as Cage seems to enthuse about seems gone for me.

Darkpen

Banned
.GqueB. said:
But if said interactivity can change the very scene and moreso the game and story as a whole is it still even considered a QTE by definition? Not many QTE's function this way. None that Ive played. So how is it even a QTE?

I dont think many people in this thread are asking themselves these questions and because of that I feel many of you are missing the point.
I feel that way as well. When I think "QTE," I think random button presses flashing on screen in a static fashion. With Heavy Rain, its clearly more contextual than anything else. It may not be contextual in the sense of what Tomb Raider and Prince of Persia does (where the buttons for the QTE are related to the buttons you use in-game), but its integration into the scene itself helps remove itself from what we would normally associate with it.

But then again, I also disliked God of War's QTE style as opposed to Indigo Prophecie's (except for the R/L sequences), so take that as you will. I have no severe doubts for Heavy Rain, outside of lack of consistency in facial animation and quality voice acting/script.

Iksenpets

Banned
PowderedToast said:

The voice acting is definitely bad, but the writings not much better either. I'm kind of underwhelmed by what's supposed to be the game's strongest point.

Diablos

I watched some trailers and interviews on gametrailers earlier, and was very impressed. Let's not write this off as some QTE or Dragon's Lair ripoff.

Atrus

Gold Member
Voice acting needs to be a hell of a lot better and should be completed for the thought sequences as well. While they don't need known voice actors, they could certainly do much better. Both characters could use more baritone.

Animation looks to a be in a bit of rough shape as well since the FBI guy's model disappears completely for a fraction of a second at 3:08 while he's manipulating the gun.

Guled

the ppl complainging about qte's are retared. Do you guys want this to play like GoW or something. The way they are doing is the best way to handle it, also, its not really QTEs, unless you also consider GH and RB to be qte fests

StuBurns

Banned
Guled said:
Do you guys want this to play like GoW or something.
Which GoW? Maybe...

Seriously, I think some people in this thread just want the game to be completely different, instead of just thinking it's not a game that fits their tastes. It's very strange, usually people just ignore the games that don't appeal to them.

gantz85

Banned
stuburns said:
Which GoW? Maybe...

Seriously, I think some people in this thread just want the game to be completely different, instead of just thinking it's not a game that fits their tastes. It's very strange, usually people just ignore the games that don't appeal to them.

Seriously?

How long have you been on GAF? Have you never wandered into an Uncharted, LitteBigPlanet , Gran Turismo 5 Prologue or Killzone 2 thread? [I'm sure there are equivalents for the other platforms] GAF doesn't work like that at all.

.GqueB. said:

A QTE is when a button/direction pops up on screen that the player presses to make his/her character do something that they usually cannot do with the regular controls.

The branching path/interactive story stuff is different from the QTE.

I find that the QTE goes AGAINST the use of the branching stories. It takes longer to look at a screen, digest the information given on the screen, and to press the corresponding button than it does to do the same action in real life. What this means is that for all the "choose your own path" stuff, what you REALLY want to do with often depend on whether or not you got butterfingers, or whether or not you are quick enough with the button commands.

I understand what he's trying to do, I just find it unfortunate that he's placing so much importance on QTE's again. Maybe it's the only way this type of game can be done with current hardware and if thats the case than so be it, but the experience, in theory and in actual gameplay, is very limiting to me.

I still think we don't have enough footage to make statements like "Bad writing/voice overs", when all we've seen is a sarcastic druggie cop and a gangsta.

StuBurns

Banned
gantz85 said:
Seriously?

How long have you been on GAF? Have you never wandered into an Uncharted, LitteBigPlanet , Gran Turismo 5 Prologue or Killzone 2 thread? [I'm sure there are equivalents for the other platforms] GAF doesn't work like that at all.

01-09-2008, so either January last year, or September, no idea which.

I don't think it's true though. Unless you misunderstood my post. I'm not saying people are complaining, of course people do in all the threads, I know I do. However, mostly people seem to either like the game and wish they were a little different, or they don't really post in them, unless just to troll. Or to air legitimate criticism, as if they've brought it and it's not what they wanted.

It seems like a lot of people want this game to be a completely different game. I don't understand it. It's so far away from what they want, that it'd be a different game.

11.jpg

"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't you fail the QTE's in Shen Mue and the game would continue? I'm sure I remember that happening.

Another thing is, some of these button prompts are dialogue options and contextual actions. They likely have no time limit. An example would be those forensic sections where an arrow prompt flashes up but you don't need to press down at that exact second. That's what defines QTE. Not whether they have consequences, but if they're timed. Contextual actions and dialogue options aren't QTE's, even if they're triggered by on-screen button prompts. If you only have so much time to enter the correct button, it's a QTE. It has nothing to do with whether it repeats or not.

StuBurns

Banned
~Kinggi~ said:
So you guys think they are gonna show something new for E3?

Seems like they blew their load a little early.
They're defiantly going to be showing the game their. Announcing the release date as well. I'm hoping from now on they won't show anything really new, but I fear they will, Cage certainly suggested it. I might go media black out on this one.

gantz85

Banned
Liara T'Soni said:
I find that the QTE goes AGAINST the use of the branching stories. It takes longer to look at a screen, digest the information given on the screen, and to press the corresponding button than it does to do the same action in real life. What this means is that for all the "choose your own path" stuff, what you REALLY want to do with often depend on whether or not you got butterfingers, or whether or not you are quick enough with the button commands.

That's a silly argument though, because basic motor control skills are crucial to every game, since the controller is the input for game consoles. These input skills and coordination are important in varyingly different degrees dependent on the game genre and Heavy Rain falls more into the action-game genre rather than the tactical RPG genre with regards to the speed and accuracy of controller input.

To argue that QTEs are limiting because they restrict your choice through motor control and hand-eye-brain coordination is not appropriate. You may say, "But I wanted to do A and I could only do B!" Well, it's really the same for every game and in real life, isn't it?

Those are action scenes though. For something more involving and considered, it would be more interesting if you could have branching gameplay in some of the slower, more considered scenes which are not QTE dependent e.g. being able to choose where to go or what to do in a no-pressure scene that would result in a drastically different storyline.

stuburns said:
01-09-2008, so either January last year, or September, no idea which.

I don't think it's true though. Unless you misunderstood my post. I'm not saying people are complaining, of course people do in all the threads, I know I do. However, mostly people seem to either like the game and wish they were a little different, or they don't really post in them, unless just to troll. Or to air legitimate criticism, as if they've brought it and it's not what they wanted.

It seems like a lot of people want this game to be a completely different game. I don't understand it. It's so far away from what they want, that it'd be a different game.

How is that anything new to GAF? We've seen it in many forms everywhere. Like people complaining about the physics and jumping style in LittleBigPlanet to people talking about how MGS4 weren't living up to their expectations of what it would be. People like to join in conversations, and more often than not they like to go against the grain, make themselves heard, spoil other people's parties and so on. That's just the GAF way

Dante

I know Sony wants to show new stuff at their conf, but this game should really get some stage time with Cage demoing it. It's the perfect venue to expose something a bit different to the non-enthusiast press.

StuBurns

Banned
gantz85 said:
How is that anything new to GAF? We've seen it in many forms everywhere. Like people complaining about the physics and jumping style in LittleBigPlanet to people talking about how MGS4 weren't living up to their expectations of what it would be. People like to join in conversations, and more often than not they like to go against the grain, make themselves heard, spoil other people's parties and so on. That's just the GAF way
To me, those things are different.

Sackboy's non-Mario jump is something major in the LBP game, however, I could see it as being a thing that could be changed fairly easily, and it's still a game that is in the genre those people care about. If you like Mario, and you want Sackboy's jump to be that responsive, that makes sense to me.

Same with MGS4, complaints based on what the game is, in comparison to legitimate ideas of what it would be.

Heavy Rain is the natural evolution from the games that team have been making for a long time. It seems that people who are disappointed with this had very strange expectations of what this was going to be.

I just thought it was strange. People wanting the Mario jump in LBP doesn't seem strange to me. People not wanting Heavy Rain to be anything like the games QD make does seem strange.

gantz85

Banned
stuburns said:
I just thought it was strange. People wanting the Mario jump in LBP doesn't seem strange to me. People not wanting Heavy Rain to be anything like the games QD make does seem strange.

Because.. the makers of LBP made Mario?

Because... QD have a huge, long track history of making games like Heavy Rain?

Because.. you aren't making sense?

StuBurns

Banned
gantz85 said:
Because.. the makers of LBP made Mario?

Because... QD have a huge, long track history of making games like Heavy Rain?

Because.. you aren't making sense?
I don't know what you're talking about.

Mario is the standard for platformers, LBP is a platfomer. That makes sense to me.

QDs last two games are similar to Heavy Rain. It seems like a very natural progression to me.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Ether_Snake said:
The demo with the girl going in the taxidermy's house was nicer graphically than what we have now, but moved the same way.
I don't think it was nicer at all compared to that club scene. It looked great, but the club trailer looked even more impressive.

lupinko

stuburns said:
To me, those things are different.

Sackboy's non-Mario jump is something major in the LBP game, however, I could see it as being a thing that could be changed fairly easily, and it's still a game that is in the genre those people care about. If you like Mario, and you want Sackboy's jump to be that responsive, that makes sense to me.

Same with MGS4, complaints based on what the game is, in comparison to legitimate ideas of what it would be.

Heavy Rain is the natural evolution from the games that team have been making for a long time. It seems that people who are disappointed with this had very strange expectations of what this was going to be.

I see, I didn't know Alex Evans and company were actually ex-Nintendo staff rather than being ex-Lionhead staff.

jett

D-Member
A somewhat OT question...but am I crazy or was a real-time PC demonstration of "The Casting" video available for download at some point?

StuBurns

Banned
jett said:
A somewhat OT question...but am I crazy or was a real-time PC demonstration of "The Casting" video available for download at some point?
A PC version? I've only ever seen the PS3 version. You can still find that online I'm sure.

lupinko said:
I see, I didn't know Alex Evans and company were actually ex-Nintendo staff rather than being ex-Lionhead staff.
I'm not saying I agree with that opinion, I'm saying it makes sense to me. It seems legitimate.

Pistolero

The previous footage they released with the female character in that house looked way better than what they showed now. And they said the house scene will not be part of the game and that pretty much tells me it was target x level and the new footage shows they unfortunately will not be able to reach that level.

Incorrect, as you could already watch scenes that are just as impressive (The table scene, the girl behind the window...). What bothers me is some of the animations and the voice acting. I'll definitely keep an eye over this...

Guled

Pistolero said:
Incorrect, as you could already watch scenes that are just as impressive (The table scene, the girl behind the window...). What bothers me is some of the animations and the voice acting. I'll definitely keep an eye over this...
the graphics level was the same, but it seems like the new content is lacking polish. But since its coming out next year, I'm sure they'll fix the VA and framerate by the time it comes out

Top Bottom