• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heist [Mafia] |OT| Snakes on a Train

Right, it was a 1 on the Crab scale.

I always thought the basic bare bones mafia game was:

Scum - no PR. Single night kill. If they have a PR it will be Godfather.

Town - two PR. Doctor and investigator.

Granted when I first learned mafia it was over IRC and that game also included a single serial killer by default.

Not that I'm upset by the game being even more barebones than that. It is interesting for sure.
Don't ever do that setup. It'll result in a "Follow The Cop" where the Cop claims D2 and keeps investigating with the Doctors protection until Scum are lucky enough to kill the Doc. It's inherently broken and all games should have at least one, better two mechanism (scum roleblock, etc) to prevent it.

Karu

VOTE: Karu

Are you trustworthy? Let's hear you.

(Karu was one of the low-posters in the last game he played. I want to especially hear him enter the game, and see him post from the start.)
So you checked backgrounds beforehand? Interesting, indeed!

Anyone experience in a prior game with our current rule set?

Burbeting

Banned
The reason I went for Mazre initially aside from the incredible usage of Arnie, was because out of the list, he seemed to me most likely to be the least active. In a game of reads and vote behaviour only, activity is paramount. A handsome bear once told me this in a fever dream.

I shall now move to Ouro who hasn't said anything yet.

I want to know why squidy wants to vote me twice.

Why do you think Mazre would be least active? Based on statistics, that would go more likely to Karu, rather than Mazre.

SAT: 2090
ACT: 34

Fairly impressive m8. But you aren't in this game!

Royal, I do agree with you somewhat. I can't actively recall a LCBQ (low count, but quality) poster who was scum. However, I feel like people aren't often fooled by "oh he's posting a lot he must be town." In fact posting a lot while contributing very little often gets you the ire of any townie actually paying attention. Or makes you an easy target for scum to start a bandwagon on if you happen to actually be town.

cabot

Karu has only played one game, I don't know him well.

I remember Mazre in archer, he skated by and I was never not suspicious of him.

I'm Canadian?

What do Canadians take to get into college? There's no equivalent?

And while I am joking around with posting test scores, it might be best in this sort of game to use D1 to lynch whoever you feel would hold back town the most. Unless someone you are actually suspicious of arises.

squidyj

I like redhood, I want him to be a townie with me.

I'm watching someone's posts with great scrutiny, you know who you are, or maybe you don't, whatever, you're probably scum anyways. I'll say more later.

I'm perfectly happy with actually just lynching Cabot today, in case you thought I was messing around.

Kawl_USC

I'm not worried about your ability to contribute to town at all, so thats fine.

Who made you judge, jury, and executioner for town worth, bub?

And yea, I think I've played with very few people in this game before (any who I have I think come from ONUW which while fun, doesn't exactly compare). I'm looking forward to the contrast between this game and the role madness that is HP.

cabot

I'm watching someone's posts with great scrutiny, you know who you are, or maybe you don't, whatever, you're probably scum anyways. I'll say more later.

I'm perfectly happy with actually just lynching Cabot today, in case you thought I was messing around.

Well with logic like this, why are you all not taking me down.

squidyj

And while I am joking around with posting test scores, it might be best in this sort of game to use D1 to lynch whoever you feel would hold back town the most. Unless someone you are actually suspicious of arises.

our high school final exams?
no, there is no admissions tests for Canadian schools.

Ty4on

Everybody gets into college in Canadia.

VOTE:CornBurrito

Nah. I think we should keep the heat up against scum.

cabot

my logic in wanting you dead is bad? is that what you're saying? It is a poor use of logic?

Logic of i like this guy, i want to trust him,

calling out a someone as scum already and doing nothing else.

Wanting to kill me all jokes aside, but you still haven't said why.

redhood56

Banned

Thank you, I am a townie! And cabot is playing a interesting game. I don't know if they are going for a "let's have fun, even though I am getting lynched and I am a townie lol game"(The game that I played in the beginning last time, but began to panic once I started getting votes) or is playing the blatantly obvious mafia but nobody expects because it is so obvious.

#scumtell

VOTE: CornBurrito

(And yes, I'm serious).

I knew this would happen the second I posted it, but I don't really care. I called you Sherlock Holmes in the Werewolf Spectator thread because you figured out a lot of stuff with semi-limited information. If you are town, you aren't someone I'm concerned about holding town back.

I'm not even saying you are town or that I trust you. Only that I trust you to not be dumb if you actually are town.

Fairly impressive m8. But you aren't in this game!

Royal, I do agree with you somewhat. I can't actively recall a LCBQ (low count, but quality) poster who was scum. However, I feel like people aren't often fooled by "oh he's posting a lot he must be town." In fact posting a lot while contributing very little often gets you the ire of any townie actually paying attention. Or makes you an easy target for scum to start a bandwagon on if you happen to actually be town.

Kingkitty in Woof 2? Not quite scum, but close enough.

cabot

Thank you, I am a townie! And cabot is playing a interesting game. I don't know if they are going for a "let's have fun, even though I am getting lynched and I am a townie lol game"(The game that I played in the beginning last time, but began to panic once I started getting votes) or is playing the blatantly obvious mafia but nobody expects because it is so obvious.

blatantly obvious mafia give votes on people, and reasons for them?

They ask why someone else has a desire to kill them?

Bold predictions indeed.

You know whats scummy? blindly accepting someone else who says they want to trust you.

redhood56

Banned
I am not voting for anyone just yet because it is to early to tell. I am hesitant to vote cabot though only because it seems so obvious.

Who made you judge, jury, and executioner for town worth, bub?

Myself did. I'm free to judge however I please.

There are players (none in this game) that I'd surely have no problem lynching early on, because I've completely disagreed with their thought processes in the past. I'm not trying to say this in a rude way, but I'd absolutely lynch whoever you feel is the laziest or dumbest player.

If that is me, so be it. Though I happen to think my intuition has been getting better since my first game in Dangan.

cabot

I am not voting for anyone just yet because it is to early to tell. I am hesitant to vote cabot though only because it seems so obvious.

Don't see the 'obvious mafia' here, sport.

I voted Mazre, gave my reason (prior quietness/inactivity), voted myself to highlight the silliness of self voting this early, and voted Splinter for some opinions before I saw Kawl hit him first, I'm now on Ouro because he hasn't posted yet.

Classic scum.

Kingkitty in Woof 2? Not quite scum, but close enough.

I don't really believe this counts. Didn't his ability give him a secret mason chat with a bunch of other people? He likely did a bunch of talking in that chat that wasn't in the main thread, and felt safe not posting much in the main thread because of it.

redhood56

Banned
blatantly obvious mafia give votes on people, and reasons for them?

They ask why someone else has a desire to kill them?

Bold predictions indeed.

You know whats scummy? blindly accepting someone else who says they want to trust you.
I'm not trusting anyone just yet, all I said was thanks. Since their post was about you, I thought I could contribute what i thought about you, since you are constantly vote switching, including a self vote.

cabot

I'm not trusting anyone just yet, all I said was thanks. Since their post was about you, I thought I could contribute what i thought about you, since you are constantly vote switching, including a self vote.

Was it about me? all I saw was him saying he wouldn't mind lynching me. There wasn't much else.

I think it's just manners to give a reason for wanting to kill someone.

Kawl_USC

Myself did. I'm free to judge however I please.

There are players (none in this game) that I'd surely have no problem lynching early on, because I've completely disagreed with their thought processes in the past. I'm not trying to say this in a rude way, but I'd absolutely lynch whoever you feel is the laziest or dumbest player.

If that is me, so be it. Though I happen to think my intuition has been getting better since my first game in Dangan.

Given all players equally likely to be scum, voting based on strength of play as town seems valid early on. Fair.

redhood56

Banned
The game started 50 minutes ago, voting someone for not posting on the first day already is a little extreme You have to give them some time.

Burbeting

Banned

However, it also means that trusting anyone 100% is dangerous. The Scum will try their best to get to the good books of town, and just trusting them outright could spell the town's doom.

Sounds like Squidjy got instantly redhood under his wing, by simply calling him town. Huh....

cabot

The game started 50 minutes ago, voting someone for not posting on the first day already is a little extreme You have to give them some time.

Vote is my only ability in this game, I'd rather have it on someone at all times than have it dwindle in the wind.

Kawl_USC

Alternatively, some thieves have gone almost a full hour without using the main power at their disposal. Vote early, vote often.

cabot

If there was a dogpile this early, everyone involved in it would be under extreme heat in the following day phases. It would be pretty stupid to do/

Just depends on how much you value your vote. See, if anyone receives a vote from cabot, that's just whatever. If someone receives a vote from me, they can be sure it won't leave them without major effort being put in or some fuck-up from other people...

You know what guys, I'm going to bed. I'll wade through this mess tomorrow when you are done insulting each others and look if anything scummy came out of it. Good Night.

Karu

Given all players equally likely to be scum, voting based on strength of play as town seems valid early on. Fair.
Eh, I don''t know. Maybe for early votes, putting pressure on, but ultimately what's going to be posted in this very thread, Day 1 or not, trumps such notions every time in my mind.

Kawl_USC

But generally votes this early are just to make sure a post asking a question is noticed and addressed whenever the absent player does drop by. No one is claiming we lynch someone before they show up, its just giving them something to post about when they do.

Burbeting

Banned
you gonna answer my question?

hey burbeting if you had to call the next 4 lynches right now who would you lynch?

1. You
2. redhood
3. CornBurrito
4. Cabot

Based on:

1. You instantly tried to go for the very tactic I warned town about: Called someone a townie, and said townie seemed to instantly become more trusting of you.

2. Redhood's reaction to few votes is really defensive, and outright odd.

3. Noted before on my vote on him.

4. He too seems somewhat more defensive, somehow.

squidyj

1. You
2. redhood
3. CornBurrito
4. Cabot

Based on:

1. You instantly tried to go for the very tactic I warned town about: Called someone a townie, and said townie seemed to instantly become more trusting of you.

2. Redhood's reaction to few votes is really defensive, and outright odd.

3. Noted before on my vote on him.

4. He too seems somewhat more defensive, somehow.

okay now I want to open up the floor to everybody else to give who their first 4 lynches would be on.

cabot

well I'll be going to sleep angry, my vote isnt fickle for the sake of it, if I want you gone it will stay on you.

Belittling anyone's vote is interesting. I'll be watching you as you sleep, Flush.

Kawl_USC

Eh, I don''t know. Maybe for early votes, putting pressure on, but ultimately what's going to be posted in this very thread, Day 1 or not, trumps such notions every time in my mind.

Well at the start past performance is all we have to go on. Once this day gets rolling then I think posts in this thread become the largest contributor to determining worth as a town player. Barring a major slip up early and absent votes to analysis, perceived worth as a town player will be my guiding factor for who to vote for.

Top Bottom