• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade’s permadeath is a bluff - PCGamesN

TGMIII

People are already crapping their pants at the even the idea of permadeath smh

That was supposed to be the idea but as usual with the gaming audience, every little detail has to be gutted and displayed in order to appease people who would rather bitch about something than actually experience it for themselves.

Yeah, the people who thought marketing permadeath was a good idea.

I was intrigued about the game before and now I'm not.

Ma64BGV.gif

Like if a perverted little elf were to walk in on me while I was in the shower.

Wulfram

It was a cool concept that was ruined because of people crying on the internet instead of playing the game. The gaming industry is full of non gamers. Rather talk than play.

People looked at the mechanic and decided it would be very unfun to lose all your progress. And apparently the developers agreed with them.

So now those people are the bad guys?

NateDrake

As a game concept it is quite smart to put fear of failure into the player's mind. It's not their fault TB threw a hot take on Twitter without knowing what the fuck he was talking about.

I'm not against the permadeath concept at all (particularly for a short-ish game like this), but having permadeath alongside scaling difficulty would have been... odd, so maybe it's for the best.

low-G

Read that title as PCGabeN lol

I've been having this problem for a long time with the site name.

Anyways part of me wants to say "suck it up" and vouch for permadeath, and another part of me thinks the game better have really good control and mechanics to validate permadeath...

Sucks that it's just a tease. Not sure if just a mode would have been a good play either...

Anung

Un Rama
I'm almost disappointed that I learned this. Even if it was just an illusion of tension there was still tension.

Unsurprised. I don't think it would make sense for a studio like Ninja Theory to give people more incentive to skip their games. It's probably a clumsy point about paranoia.

melkier33

Thread title kinda sucks, I don't think the game is hard at all but the feeling of looking doom is now gone for me.

tookhster

Except they never "marketed" permadeath. It literally did not become a topic until the game came out.

This is downright disappointing. I'm still buying the game but I was into the whole permadeath thing as I love tense battles. A shame a handful of crybabies ruined it for everyone.

It was a cool concept that was ruined because of people crying on the internet instead of playing the game. The gaming industry is full of non gamers. Rather talk than play.
So I'm not a real gamer unless I enjoy a mechanic that is almost always optional in every game it appears in?

Forced permadeath is bollocks

Nishastra

Banned
That's a real shame. Knowing this essentially removes a chunk of the game's experience.

Congrats to the people who aren't even willing to give unusual game mechanics a shot, though.

People looked at the mechanic and decided it would be very unfun to lose all your progress. And apparently the developers agreed with them.

So now those people are the bad guys?

Let's not pretend there's no difference between saying "I think permadeath is unfun" and saying "I think permadeath is anti-consumer and developers are stupid for putting it in games". Totalbiscuit's position on and weird reaction to this is untenable.

So I'm not a real gamer unless I enjoy a mechanic that is almost always optional in every game it appears in?

Forced permadeath is bollocks

It's pretty cool in arcade games, actually.

I'm not sure where I stand on this permadeath thing. On one hand, it limits player experimentation with the threat that all your data may disappear and you should stick to tried-and-true methods that quickly dissolve any sense of fun in the game. On the other hand, it's an interesting and immersive way of telling the story they want to tell - and I respect that.

To learn it's a bluff makes it feel like the full experience has been taken away from you, but also elation that your data is safe.

scitek

I'm sorry, I mistakenly thought they had made it known the game had permadeath for some reason. I was ready to not touch the game again upon finding this out, though, because I had a super cheap death from falling off a log in the first 15 minutes of the game. Games with petty pseudo-scripted shit like that and QTEs can fuck off with permadeath.

Shock32

I think it's funny that's this got so blown out of proportion, yet there wasn't one report of somebody's save getting deleted. Fucking cry babies.

Fbh

Cool, more interested in this now.

Permadeath is a shit mehcanic in basically every game that isn't based on like 30 minutes runs.

mileS

TharpDaddy said he is out of deaths. So I think it will still trigger based upon X deaths per checkpoint.
And now we have a side that is saying it doesn't exist at all. I'm glad this video is out there but it's pretty clear they didn't test everything. Not like that is a problem.. The problem now is people not watching the video or fully understanding that this feature is still in, just not like many have imagined it works.

I actually feel better knowing this.

I'm not against permadeath, but as a gamer with limited time, I'm likely to stay away from a game that I won't be able to progress in, even if it is an essential part of the design.

However, it seems like this was done not to inhibit the player, but to add to the theme and atmosphere of the game. Yes, you could trigger it, but it would take work. I appreciate it.

I'm in the camp of being more likely to play the game with this new information, although I totally understand why others would have preferred not to know.

GREAT, freaking GREAT! Entitled asshole on the internet couldn't stop bitching (without playing, calling devs stupid) and now a neat idea is pretty much ruined.

LiK

Kinda wish the thread title didn't straight up spoil what was a bluff. But hell, got a bunch of people on twitter spoiling the shit outta it anyway.

Z3M0G

So in the end it was an unnecessary spoiler to a very interesting psychological aspect of the game... :/

Fuck

As someone already posted in the review thread:

So it's not a bluff, it exists, but it resets to a different minimum baseline at certain points and requires a much higher than average number of deaths.

OH FFS

They did no such thing.

Top Bottom