• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2 Review Embargo drops 1 hour before release

SenkiDala

Yeah it will be trash.
765040.jpg

The "spoilers" remarks must be tongue-in-cheek. I mean, the first game had no story, much less anything to be spoiled about. This is not Game of Thrones.

My assumption about the embargo is that despite this getting a +80 metascore, most reviews will tell what type of game it is, which many potential players don't know (and don't like)

Ozriel

M$FT
So yes, it’s still nothing but cope. Waiting until the last hour to let professional reviewers express their opinion on the game is a massive red flag.

Not always. Certainly wasn’t the case for Helldivers 2, perhaps the most recent example of last minute embargos

So the lowcost Sony inspired cinematic experience is going to be a commercial AND critical failure ?
tumblr_n01mvwYcNf1qzwh14o1_400.gif

I'm scared for the studio's future.

Yeah, you guys aren’t certainly aren’t subtle about these things anymore

Banjo64

cumsessed
The rationale makes no sense. Every game with a story ever made could use this argument.

There’s plenty to talk about in a review that’s not story spoilers, in fact most reviewers go out of there way to avoid spoilers.

And let’s be honest, the story isn’t going to be anything to write home about.

KaiserBecks

Don’t really care about an embargo for a digital only game nobody is going to buy. I suppose everyone who is interested will play this through gamepass.

Bond007

Will have high engagement due to Gamepass.
Little sales$ sure.

Not worth renewing a month for me. But if gamer feedback is OMG- id consider it. First one didnt interest me.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I 99% sure it going to get good reviews but first game had neat ideas but the combat super repetitive even tho the game was pretty short game.

This "we don't want to spoil anything" narrative never applied to SIE's story-driven games tho 🤔....

Now all of a sudden they don't want to spoil things. How convenient.

I expect it to review fine. 80s range (83-87). It’ll be judged on what it is - a game with a relatively quick completion time, that looks stupendous, and doesn’t cost much.

If only Western games journalists could do this with every game. Maybe a lot of the reviews for Hogwarts Legacy and Stellar Blade would've looked professional & respectable, and not the soapboxes they actually turned out to be.

If Ninja Theory gets shut down, they probably deserve it. They spent years taking vacations in Northern Europe as opposed to making serious shit.

Nah they are talented developers. It'd be a shame if they were shut down; maybe Naughty Dog could hire them onto the team because I don't think Ninja Theory have enough valuable IP they own (or a specific underserved niche) to get work the way Toys For Bob does.

So a studio buyout option may not be on the cards for them.

Last edited:
I really hope for Ninja Theory that this game is well received. It's definitely not for me as I didn't care for the first one and no amount of pretty graphics will sell me on a game, but it would be a shame to see them closed.

I have bought the game and I hope it’s brilliant although I feel it being received well will likely bring out the grifters and their defence of Phil Spencer and co rather than any sincere regard for Ninja Theory and its future.

nemiroff

Gold Member
we all know what kind of game this is by now. It will be hellblade 1 with better visuals.
Graphics is a bonus, but most of us non-warriors (not saying you're re a warrior) are simply hoping for a compact HB1 with a new story, better puzzles and better combat - and according to what NT has said in interviews, that's what I think is most likely to happen.

Last edited:
RIP Ninja Theory. Embargos this close to release are never a good thing.

The game is probably short AF or there's something they are hiding. I honestly don't know what it could be since graphically what we've seen looks good but the game has suffered an acute lack of gameplay from MS. We will know what it is soon enough.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It was concerning that Tameem left so suddenly before launch.

He didn't 'just left', he wanted to leave years ago but stayed on to help with HB2.

"I was ready to step off after Hellblade but stayed on for 2 more years to make sure the foundations were in place to fulfill our mission to craft life-changing art with game-changing tech which you'll see in Hellblade II very soon.""Huge shout out to Microsoft for taking care of our baby and letting us grow to become who we are!"

Mortisfacio

Banned
RIP Ninja Theory. Embargos this close to release are never a good thing.

The game is probably short AF or there's something they are hiding. I honestly don't know what it could be since graphically what we've seen looks good but the game has suffered an acute lack of gameplay from MS. We will know what it is soon enough.

Never a good thing, unless they dont fit the narrative, like Helldivers 2. Then we just ignore those cases so we can continue to say "never" right?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Nothing bad in a game being short, as long as it is good. Scorn comes to mind and that was an enjoyable experience.

Now, if the game is mostly cinematics and barely any gameplay, then we'll have a problem.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
this image? this image is amazingly, incredibly unappealing to me. it's feels like it's some kinda experiment in 'reverse psychology promotion'...
Choose wisely.
You can still choose to spend 50 hours with beautiful Eve.
I mean she is probably a bit crazy too !!!

You really have to be crazy to not wear pants with that jacket !!!!!!!!!!!!
cdhLVmq.jpeg

LObVe5Z.jpeg

gGUGF4G.jpeg

li40yqW.jpeg

RU8sSaU.jpeg

IHUas0D.jpeg

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Choose wisely.
You can still choose to spend 50 hours with beautiful Eve.
I mean she is probably a bit crazy too !!!

You really have to be crazy to not wear pants with that jacket !!!!!!!!!!!!
cdhLVmq.jpeg

LObVe5Z.jpeg

gGUGF4G.jpeg

li40yqW.jpeg

RU8sSaU.jpeg

IHUas0D.jpeg

Bro, this ain't it. Delete this post and go put it in the stellar blade thread...you're in the wrong thread.

Never a good thing, unless they dont fit the narrative, like Helldivers 2. Then we just ignore those cases so we can continue to say "never" right?
What are you talking about and how is Helldivers 2 related to Hellblade 2? Last time I checked Helldivers 2 is an online only GAAS game that requires servers to even run. Hellblade 2 is a short single player only cinematic game. Does it require stable servers like Helldivers 2 to play and give reviews in a timely manner?

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Graphics is a bonus, but most of us non-warriors (not saying you're re a warrior) are simply hoping for a compact HB1 with a new story, better puzzles and better combat - and according to what NT has said in interviews, that's what I think is most likely to happen.
I am not a fan of the first game because it was too basic. I dont mind linear games as long as there is enough variety. there wasnt much. The puzzles were atrocious. There were zero setpieces. And there wasnt much to do other than walk. I loved Uncharted despite its linear nature because they had climbing, setpieces and good puzzles to keep things from getting too boring. Thats what I wanted from HB2 and the first gameplay trailer showing a big epic setpiece and the first trailer showing a massive world hinted at a much more epic game in scope.

Turns out its more of the same which is disappointing.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Yeah it will be trash.
7 years to develop 4h long cutscene about internal voices...
Don't get me wrong. I absolutely loved hellblade 1. The poem about Dillon mid-way through the game is beautiful..
But somehow I lost all hype for the 2nd game.

Because it didnt need one

Rockman33

Yeah it will be trash.
7 years to develop 4h long cutscene about internal voices...
Don't get me wrong. I absolutely loved hellblade 1. The poem about Dillon mid-way through the game is beautiful..
But somehow I lost all hype for the 2nd game.
You loved the 1st one and this one is supposed to be that but better in every category and you aren’t excited? That doesn’t make any sense to me.

rofif

Banned
You loved the 1st one and this one is supposed to be that but better in every category and you aren’t excited? That doesn’t make any sense to me.
Because it didnt need one
It's really disappointing she is still a psycho. Really undermines the first game story and ending....
They are doing the same game again. why. First game already did it great.
I was hoping that it would be her leading a small army or a village to an expedition. Something that it looked like in the first trailer. Something a bit more expanded.
not crazy again.

Also, bragging that everything was performance capture is nothing new. Games do that for forever now. It only makes you feel more like watching a tv show

Mortisfacio

Banned
What are you talking about and how is Helldivers 2 related to Hellblade 2? Last time I checked Helldivers 2 is an online only GAAS game that requires servers to even run. Hellblade 2 is a short single player only cinematic game. Does it require stable servers like Helldivers 2 to play and give reviews in a timely manner?

Would have been less words to just say "Yes, I ignore examples this is the case to fit my narrative"

Top Bottom