• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2 will be built on UE5

Great Hair

Banned
Or is Epic allowing MS to use it earlier?

How, if it´s not done yet? :D

UE4.2.5 is what theyre using, doubt that Hellblade gonna make any use of nanite and lumen at all this late in development. Lets assume they´re deep in development and close to finish ... are they going to postpone this just for UE5?

According to epic 2021 at the earliest, for anyone.

I saw how good Hellblade 1 looked while only being a AA game, Ninja Theory are very well versed with using UE, and Microsoft money.
You didnt answer the question.

How do you come to the conclusion that this will be the best looking game for some time without seeing any other game from both Microsoft and Sony?

UE4.2.5 is what theyre using, doubt that Hellblade gonna make any use of nanite and lumen at all this late in development. Lets assume they´re deep in development and close to finish ... are they going to postpone this just for UE5?

I don't think these billion dollar game studios (XGS) have to wait for the same market dates we do.

EDMIX

I don't think thats the case, I actually think its simply not done and will be by the time UE5 is ready to release to transfer it over and add those goodies. I think its in deep development and the teams plan was likely always to transfer over.

longdi

Banned
The cheezy chanting part is probably in-engine cg with super rounded details.
But the other parts are clearly built on UE4, a bit drab, you can also see textures shimmering in the flyby.
With the upgrade to UE5, i expect these other parts to have a big jump in details and clarity like what you see in Epic techdemo. :messenger_bicep:

sendit

A better question would be if they are planning to integrate Lumen and Nanite for what they’re doing? Note: Fortnite will be the first publicly available game to use UE5, but don’t expect some magical upgrade in graphics just because they’re using a different engine. The tech has to be applied which equates to more dev time.

Last edited:

JLMC469

Banned
This looks insane.
hellblade_2.jpg

Ascend

It was quite clear to the trained eye that at least the majority of that footage was running in-engine. Yes, that includes the shots of the ocean and the mountains etc. There are some flaws if you look at the footage frame by frame, which is a typical sign of in-engine footage. Don't know if it was really real-time. There can be some slowdown to increase things like AA or post processing and then speed up the footage. Nonetheless, it is impressive. I think the only reason Digital Foundry was doubting its legitimacy was because it looked too good to be considered actual in-engine footage. But after the UE5 demo, it is no longer outside the realm of possibility to have these quality graphics in real-time.

And the same thing (i.e. this being in-engine footage) applies for the Inside Xbox games as well, including Medium and AC Valhalla.

jimbojim

Banned
So it was in-engine footage and using UE5. I know people were debating whether or not it was UE5 when the tech demo came out, now we

It was UE4 since start of development. You can't start a building a game on engine that wasn't available for devs. Like EPIC said, transition to UE5 from UE4 is easy

Rikkori

You don't dev on engine with incomplete and buggy tools when there's a stable version available. Even if you believe MS gets early-access to UE5, which you shouldn't automatically. Once you understand that in-engine means exactly nothing because the engine can be used to make even CGI films, then you can understand that the first trailer was simply a 'vision of HB2' and what they're aiming for rather than what it actually looks like at that time (or even today). Just like what happens with EVERY OTHER GAME EVER.

The smart money is on they're using UE4 until UE5 is ready but they'll switch over and the final release it will be a UE5 game. Makes no difference to the gamer but it's the right way from game dev pov.

Shin

Banned
Pretty significant news, couldn't get it in thread title of the main article thread but worth noting.
You are correct, I was on the fence of posting it last night only to have found out it was buried in a post.
Agreed that if certain games get threads upon threads as should a prominent one such as this given the light of day.

Not my kind of game, but happen to have come across the news on another site that ran an article about this tidbit.

sinnergy

It had a seamless LOD that DF found weird, maybe they had a early UE5 build or a UE4 experimental build on... and EPIC helped them out on the HB2 trailer if I am correct.

Last edited:
My favourite is when you have to crawl under an object at a painfully slow pace haha

To be fair, if it was me IRL if be taking that shit slow too. I'm not matrix sliding under objects. I only had like 4 hours of sleep and I've gotta go on an epic journey to save someone. I don't even know how I'm making the mortgage payment and I can't remember if I set up auto pay on my other bills. It's stressful man. Lara Croft was just up and running for months up to her shenanigans and didn't even have a cellphone.

Leyasu

Banned
@geordieimp

What are the textures and assets going to look like with that slow arse SSD? A ps1 game??

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
And your truth is that Sony can never do any wrong. So, I mean, sure man. Sure.

I'll call em out as and when they deserve it. However, as their market performance demonstrates they are doing a largely competent job of maintaining their position at the top of the console food chain, so there's not much in my view to complain about!

Same deal with Nintendo, a company I rarely have criticism for because they mostly know what they are doing and have the success to show for it.

Bottom line is that Xbox is languishing in third place not just because the world is full of mean ol' fanboys like me, its because despite the insane amount of money behind them they aren't doing as good a job as platform holder as their competition are.

That's a stone-cold fact. As is that circumstance warranting criticism of their performance/practices.

PS. You know the irony is there are more people in the industry that I have a personal beef with at Sony than at any other publisher/platform holder. And over the years I've worked for all of 'em. Don't com

Seems that UE5 unveil & all the talk of working with Sony on some aspects of the engine was all smoke and mirrors if the Hellblade 2 reveal was actually the first showcase of UE5. Epic sure got everyone fooled there.

H . R . 2

that's great. I had a sneaking suspicion that the game might not have been developed on UE5 but when I heard this I heaved a sigh of relief. thanks for the confirmation OP
I admired HB for what it attempted to pull off, and the game was a solid 8 for me, but the puzzle sections were utterly boring and unnecessary. they were only used to add to the longevity of the game. and the game was extremely unoptimised on AMD gpus. by the time I replaced my R9 390x with a GTX 1080, I had already uninstalled the game so I never actually finished the final boss fight, shame.

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
I admired HB for what it attempted to pull off, and the game was a solid 8 for me, but the puzzle sections were utterly boring and unnecessary. they were only used to add to the longevity of the game. and the game was extremely unoptimised on AMD gpus. by the time I replaced my R9 390x with a GTX 1080, I had already uninstalled the game so I never actually finished the final boss fight, shame.

I enjoyed the game for what it was. I bought it day one on Ps4. It was basically a more limited Ryse imo. Very small, limited enemies, combat was repetitive but overall i respect the effort for an indie game. Was a 7.5ish to me if i had to rate it.

Im interested in seeing how they do with sufficient funding for the sequel.

H . R . 2

This looks insane.
hellblade_2.jpg

the first game's facial expressions looked just as impressive, at least up until the moment I realised they used real people and videos for the majority of the flashback bits. I was a bit disappointed to be honest but then again the main character's facial expressions were top-notch and the game was a AA title, so

H . R . 2

Seems that UE5 unveil & all the talk of working with Sony on some aspects of the engine was all smoke and mirrors if the Hellblade 2 reveal was actually the first showcase of UE5. Epic sure got everyone fooled there.
I don't think HB2 was being developed entirely on UE5 at the time, which might explain why Epic decided to partner with Sony for an exclusive reveal. I also think they found Sony's hardware a slightly better medium for showcasing UE5's new capabilities. using HB2 as the showcase would mean that it would be limited to the AA nature of the game and XSX hardware. they did specifically mention that some of the features were re-designed and built around PS5's SSD which is interesting

Last edited:
I don't think HB2 was being developed entirely on UE5 at the time, which might explain why Epic decided to partner with Sony for an exclusive reveal. I also think they found Sony's hardware a slightly better medium for showcasing UE5's new capabilities. using HB2 as the showcase would mean that it would be limited to the AA nature of the game and XSX hardware. they did specifically mention that some of the features were re-designed and built around PS5's SSD which is interesting

I was being a little sarcastic to be honest. There's a few folk in this thread that seem to believe the reveal was UE5 due to the thread title & quotes. With the engine still some way off from release it will be interesting to see how it'll differ from the reveal

While I'm in the "will be moved to UE5 when possible" camp, it's not unreasonable to think that MS has access to early builds of the engine due to DX12U and epic wanting to make sure they're ready as soon as possible.

VFXVeteran

Banned
It was quite clear to the trained eye that at least the majority of that footage was running in-engine. Yes, that includes the shots of the ocean and the mountains etc. There are some flaws if you look at the footage frame by frame, which is a typical sign of in-engine footage. Don't know if it was really real-time. There can be some slowdown to increase things like AA or post processing and then speed up the footage. Nonetheless, it is impressive. I think the only reason Digital Foundry was doubting its legitimacy was because it looked too good to be considered actual in-engine footage. But after the UE5 demo, it is no longer outside the realm of possibility to have these quality graphics in real-time.

And the same thing (i.e. this being in-engine footage) applies for the Inside Xbox games as well, including Medium and AC Valhalla.

More of cutscenes. Remember all the dynamic assets in the HB2 demo don't apply to Nanite tech. The ground rocks in the demo could very well be using Nanite though.

Last edited:
Is there a link you can reference? I don't think we did. In the article thread and speculation thread I wasn't the only one under the impression that it was just confirmed today. Articles being tweeted about it only after the Xbox Wired post talked about it a couple hours ago

I don't think it was ever officially confirmed to be UE5 until today

not digging it up, but Phil did tweet about it shortly after UE5 engine demo.

MrMiyagi

Banned
Just using the Unreal 5 engine doesn't mean much, though. Fortnite will migrate to UE5 as well, but does that mean nobody can't play it anymore unless they're rocking a RTX gpu and a super fast SSD?

What's more important are the pc specs required to run that game, and somehow I'm guessing that's not going to require specs that only 1% of the Game Pass users have access to.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
not digging it up, but Phil did tweet about it shortly after UE5 engine demo.

It was rather ambiguously worded, per usual. Does not confirm nor deny what we saw was UE5. Could have been, or could have been 4.2.5 and will be converted to 5 when it's sent out early next year.

Psykodad

Banned
It was rather ambiguously worded, per usual. Does not confirm nor deny what we saw was UE5. Could have been, or could have been 4.2.5 and will be converted to 5 when it's sent out early next year.

That's just a standard "we'll be using UE5 as well" response.

Top Bottom