• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2 will be built on UE5

The power of Xbox Series X was first demonstrated with the unveiling of Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II. The team will be building the game on Unreal 5 and leveraging the power of Xbox Series X to bring the Hellblade franchise to levels never before seen. The footage shown was captured in-engine and reflects the power of Xbox Series X available to developers to deliver new universes, experiences and games in ways you have never imagined.

Pretty significant news, couldn't get it in thread title of the main article thread but worth noting.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it had never been officially confirmed to be UE5 before. There was a vague tweet from Phil but that was it. IMO this is pretty exciting news.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Buried in the Xbox Wire article about the Xbox Series X was this little bit:

The power of Xbox Series X was first demonstrated with the unveiling of Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II. The team will be building the game on Unreal 5 and leveraging the power of Xbox Series X to bring the Hellblade franchise to levels never before seen. The footage shown was captured in-engine and reflects the power of Xbox Series X available to developers to deliver new universes, experiences and games in ways you have never imagined.

So it was in-engine footage and using UE5. I know people were debating whether or not it was UE5 when the tech demo came out, now we know.

EDMIX

99% sure we already knew.

It would be weird if they didn't use Unreal 5, I mean literally it would be news if they said they were using Unreal 4 instead or something. So going forward I think many of us will expect FFXVI to use Unreal 5, Days Gone 2, Kingdom Hearts 4, Star Wars Fallen Order 2 etc.

We'll get to see how good the scaling is as I'm pretty sure this game is a XONE game

Last edited:
99% sure we already knew.

It would be weird if they didn't use Unreal 5, I mean literally it would be news if they said they were using Unreal 4 instead or something. So going forward I think many of us will expect FFXVI to use Unreal 5, Days Gone 2, Kingdom Hearts 4, Star Wars Fallen Order 2 etc.

Is there a link you can reference? I don't think we did. In the article thread and speculation thread I wasn't the only one under the impression that it was just confirmed today. Articles being tweeted about it only after the Xbox Wired post talked about it a couple hours ago

I don't think it was ever officially confirmed to be UE5 until today

Last edited:

Banned
after the tech demo it instantly made sense why Hellblade 2 looked as detailed as it did.
no pop-in, no LOD switching.

so in hindsight now it makes sense why it looked the way it did.
even if this was still UE4, they might already had early access to UE5 features such as nanite or made the trailer with detail settings that would reflect the game's visuals if they would use nanite

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
Actually what the article says is:

Note the use of future, not present tense in the statement. Basically confirming that what was shown does not employ UE5.

Note nowhere in your quote does it say "future". But it does say "Ninja Theory is using Unreal Engine 5 for Senua's Saga: Hellblade II".

So go spread your "fud" like you warriors like to say, back to the spec thread.

EDMIX

Is there a link you can reference?

Knew as in naturally assumed. We already knew Unreal Engine 5 existed so naturally a game that ran on Unreal Engine 4, would simply move on to 5.

Keep in mind as others have stated, several comments by MS and Epic themselves already hinted at the obvious. It would be like me acting shocked that Days Gone 2 is running on Unreal 5 or something.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Note nowhere in your quote does it say "future". But it does say "Ninja Theory is using Unreal Engine 5 for Senua's Saga: Hellblade II".
es
So go spread your "fud" like you warriors like to say, back to the spec thread.

Your reading comprehension needs work. Why write "The team will be" when "The team is" would be the correct wording if it was presently the case? Let alone "The team has been", which is what you'd expect if it had been used sufficiently in the past to make demo last year!

Stop being stupid and defensive. What version of UE was used for the Senua demo is irrelevant when judging its quality, it doesn't matter.

EDMIX

That's fair, but confirmation is still pretty cool, right? Considering how much buzz and positivity the UE5 demo generated?

Agreed. I think they should do a deep dive into the engine and demo the game if its far enough. I feel that is the way they probably should have announced Hellblade 2, but I don't really know if Sony has some deal with Epic that Epic would demo Unreal Engine 5 on PS5 first or something. Not sure.

That wouldn't really stop MS from having their own team just talk about the new tech in Hellblade 2, but I think it might simply be because its too early. Regardless, I feel maybe this game should have been revealed differently knowing what we know now. To the average gamer, it just looks like a CGI trailer, the gravity of what is shown doesn't hold up well without commentary showing us the tech and doing a deep dive, it just ends up looking like a CGI or In Engine etc. I think we'll get that later this year.

Mr Hyde Mr Hyde if they wanted to flex that muscle, THATS the team to do it with.

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
Your reading comprehension needs work. Why write "The team will be" when "The team is" would be the correct wording if it was presently the case? Let alone "The team has been", which is what you'd expect if it had been used sufficiently in the past to make demo last year!

Stop being stupid and defensive. What version of UE was used for the Senua demo is irrelevant when judging its quality, it doesn't matter.

No your need to shit on any ms related news is pretty transparent. Ad hominem attacks for being called out are also a plus. Shows you're emotionally invested in this "war".

Just go back to the spec thread. Don't care for warriors trying to shitpost anything not about their platform of choice.

Great Hair

Banned
Actually what the article says is:

Note the use of future, not present tense in the statement. Basically confirming that what was shown does not employ UE5.

What ever they´re using, it aint UE5.

Unreal Engine 5 will be available in preview in early 2021, and in full release late in 2021,

xPikYx

I didn't see the point of revealing this now, to demonstrate what? Hellblade2 is yet to be confirmed real time, I would focus on that rather than telling us is made with UE5 to make us believe is feasible in realtime just because UR5 run great on the competition

FranXico

The team will be building the game on Unreal 5 and leveraging the power of Xbox Series X to bring the Hellblade franchise to levels never before seen.

They will upgrade to Unreal 5 in 2021. We already knew this.

EDMIX

What ever they´re using, it aint UE5.

Maybe. I don't know if Hellblade 2 is even coming this year, it might release around when Unreal Engine 5 releases.. So i'd expect developers to work on games using Unreal 4 to just transfer to Unreal 5 with all the extras when its ready to release or something.

xPikYx xPikYx Agreed. I think the info is good, but feels hollow without a deep dive, demo etc. I think they really should have did a huge demonstration with it.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
Maybe. I don't know if Hellblade 2 is even coming this year, it might release around when Unreal Engine 5 releases.. So i'd expect developers to work on games using Unreal 4 to just transfer to Unreal 5 with all the extras when its ready to release or something.

But they´re claiming that it is already using UE5 and or running ... when not even Sony has the UE5 SDK. Epic said 2021 (beta, early), full release fall 2021 and first games to really make use .... 2025 (from scratch).

Everyone else like Ninja Th. will port UE4 code to UE5 and hopefully it does not require additional tweaking (potentially postponing).

To be fair, it´s more an "error" by venturebeat than microsofts, since they didnt claim it to be running on UE5 "The team will be building the game on Unreal 5"

Anyway ... one thing reading the xbox article on xbox.com ... they mention 15 studios, and im pretty sure they had mentioned they had 16?

EDMIX

But they´re claiming that it is already using UE5 and or running ... when not even Sony has the UE5 SDK. Epic said 2021 (beta, early), full release fall 2021 and first games to really make use .... 2025 (from scratch).

Everyone else like Ninja Th. will port UE4 code to UE5 and hopefully it does not require additional tweaking (potentially postponing).

To be fair, it´s more an "error" by venturebeat than microsofts, since they didnt claim it to be running on UE5 "The team will be building the game on Unreal 5"

Anyway ... one thing reading the xbox article on xbox.com ... they mention 15 studios, and im pretty sure they had mentioned they had 16?

Could be. The wording could be off and they might simply be saying it will use it when ready.

I'd rather they show it running on actual series X hardware to be honest instead of it running on PC hardware and then saying it's "reflective".
Why do this. I’d rather they be honest about what they’re using. Which isn’t to say the UE5 tech demo lied but then saying “running on PS5” could be completely bullshit, we didn’t see it physically running on a console did we. Until we literally see any game running on a next gen console it’s pretty safe to assume what’s being shown is from a PC or from a dev kit/equivalent which for all intents and purposes is a customised PC.

How do you come to that conclusion considering its the only 1st party next gen game we've seen so far.
So it’s technically already been the best looking for some time? ;)
Yeah seriously though, we’re not gonna know what game looks best for some time and even then it’ll be subjective, but if people can assume the next ND game will look amazing due to how their previous games have looked it’s not a huge leap to assume NTs next game will look great also.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
No your need to shit on any ms related news is pretty transparent. Ad hominem attacks for being called out are also a plus. Shows you're emotionally invested in this "war".

Just go back to the spec thread. Don't care for warriors trying to shitpost anything not about their platform of choice.

I'm not "shitting" on anything or anyone. I just pointed out an obvious misinterpretation of the text.

Thin-skinned much?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Post history begs to differ. "Thin-skinned"? Im not the one throwing out insults because someone called me out for being a warrior.

Rather than obsessing over my post history, why not just put me on ignore?

I'm not stopping telling it as it is. Truth is a perfect defense.

Top Bottom