• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2 will feature “location accurate” poop from birds

0neAnd0nly

You mean this by the typical American

R.2c6371dca741bef1526dfd2bd6583f9e

/s

I mean, you joke but the grown dude in this pic is getting my $ in a cage match against dude in all black and I’d be +90% positive on that bet.

Just the typical salty Sony trolls in every Xbox thread. Report them and try to keep the topic on track. It's the best we can do.

I think a lot of people are just being funny. I also don’t think most Playstation fans are worried about a Ninja Theory game.

Ozriel

M$FT
I'd rather they start showing how they've improved the gameplay, or what they plan on doing to improve the gameplay from the prior game.

Accurate bird poo locations means absolutely nothing to me & I can imagine most won't notice or care.

They’ve stated multiple times that the game is working with a bigger budget, and that combat is being dramatically improved.

daveonezero

Banned
I think the better question:

Is it worth the cost of doing this to get something simulated accurately or would it have been indistinguishable from an artist just making the textures and using photos as reference to create nearly the same thing.

I think small details matter as evidence in some very well done games that shine because of small details but those developers don’t talk about them. They are just there and make the end product a lot better.

I’m playing Hades right now and sort of blown away at all the details they took into account.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Bro you and some other people in this thread are taking our jokes way too seriously. I'm sure as shit no Sony fan, much prefer Microsoft to Sony by about ten times, love my Series X and I'm stoked for this game; a lot of us just saw a light hearted poop joke by the team and we're having fun because.... poop's funny man. Nothing more than that.

For what it's worth I absolutely agree that there's tons of Sony trolls on this forum, and they generally end up on my ignore list, but what you guys are seeing in this thread ain't that.

Long story short, and please read this in a Jack Nicholson voice, "Can't we all just.....get along? And maybe laugh at poop together too?"

Pretty sure that's how the line from the movie went.
I wasn't referring to you or anyone else specifically, nor I'm I bothered by anything specifically in this thread. I was just making a general comment that applies to all positive Xbox threads.

GreenAlien

It looks pretty good on those cliffs. I wish more games had location accurate poop. Like games with dragons. Bonus points if it can fall from the sky and kill you.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
It looks pretty good on those cliffs. I wish more games had location accurate poop. Like games with dragons. Bonus points if it can fall from the sky and kill you.
Cliffracer poop would have turned Morrowind into a bird shit fetish game.

Kimahri

Banned
So what would you have them do then? Pick some random poop instead of using the reference material from their trips to Iceland?

How much this is a waste of time is really not up for you to say as long as you don't know how much time they're actually spending on it.

I'm sure it's a waste of time to figure out the right kinda of moss and algae to use in a moist subterranean area because most people wouldn't know the difference, but it sure adds to the atmosphere when things are done right, yeah?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I think the better question:

Is it worth the cost of doing this to get something simulated accurately or would it have been indistinguishable from an artist just making the textures and using photos as reference to create nearly the same thing.
I take you didnt actually watch the video they posted?
This is literally a vertex painter/scatter tool they to get the cliffs to look more accurate.
It was created for artists to use.
Baking things into textures is old school takes longer and you are basically stuck with whatever you have baked in.
Or you have to go back and bake new textures when you want to change something....an incredible waste of time with how powerful engines are these days.
Having a procedural way of doing it makes more sense and the artists can alter the placement to look however they want in real time in engine, with little to no knowledge of how the underlying engine actually works.
This has to be a joke. Especially given how weak the gameplay was in the first game.
No way are they focusing on bird shit.
Is bird shit a joke to you!?!?!

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
As long as they're all in on Nanite, Lumen, Sampler Feedback Streaming, and Direct Storage, I don't care about anything else.

ANIMAL1975

who the fuck are you to say what they are spending time on?

Just the typical salty Sony trolls in every Xbox thread. Report them and try to keep the topic on track. It's the best we can do.

So what would you have them do then? Pick some random poop instead of using the reference material from their trips to Iceland?

How much this is a waste of time is really not up for you to say as long as you don't know how much time they're actually spending on it

The poop defense force strong in this thread is

dugdug

Banned
Ninja Theory making Hellblade 1: “We’re covering the subject of psychosis very delicately on a tight budget to prove you don’t need AAA!”

Ninja Theory making Hellblade 2: “thank you for the money, daddy, now you fling poop at the big monsterz”

Hoddi

Some of you guys really don't go out into nature. Holy hell.

They're called 'nesting cliffs' and they're everywhere here in northern Europe. You may as well be bitching that having graffiti in your inner city slum games is wasting resources on 'too much detail'.

The old Norse word for stupid is 'heimskur' and it means someone who has never left his home. And it's literally you guys.

Last edited:
Some of you guys really don't go out into nature. Holy hell.

They're called 'nesting cliffs' and they're everywhere here in northern Europe. You may as well be bitching that having graffiti in your inner city slum games is wasting resources on 'too much detail'.

Starfield shows some average looking trees in 1 biome of a gigantic RPG:
"Jesus, how lazy can these artists be. They can't model better trees than that??"

Hellblade 2 recreates an actual location in Iceland in painstaking detail down to the bird poop locations:
"Such an unnecessary waste of resources. What is Microsoft doing to these guys??"

Filben

I mean there's a studio that spent time on accurate size changes in equine testicles due to temperature changes.

Why not that level attention to detail in static objects and landscape.

Last edited:

tommib

It's funny how people constantly whine and crave better graohics, but when devs actually do this, by paying attention to details, it's a waste of time and nobody cares?

Imagine if this was for a movie? Do you think the set dressers would consider location accurate bird poop important or not?
Absolutely. Everyone’s pretending that it doesn’t matter and it’s a waste of resources but then they’ll be armchair analysing whatever DF video comes up about the physics of an eye drop bottle in a school desk.

You can’t have it both ways. It’s not a waste of resources if you want things to look mind-blowing and you want to stop complaining about the cross-gen curse.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm going to assume NT is trolling with that tweet because what dumbass studio would spend time and resources on bird shit.

With modern day studios focusing on minute details like 10,000 hair strands and puddle reflections, you never know what inane aspect of gaming they'll focus on.
Two words.

Horse. Balls.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
What a massive waste of time and resources. Who cares if you have accurate bird poop painted on the cliffs if you haven't implemented proper bird poop physics.

Top Bottom