• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade II Screenshot Thread | Best looking game this gen so far?

Connxtion

Enjoy the game so far. But spent most of my time in the photomode 😂 such a beautiful game.
DArVydS.png
q0OoTmh.png
ojdgwZH.png
zppdZho.png

Hk8z5Hi.png
Get some cool effect when blocking 😂
M9GeB2D.png

B8gWU9t.png
XsDZMfm.png
wiX9RJ6.jpeg

Last edited:

evanft

Gentlemen, I believe I have found a way to further enhance the graphics in-game.

Someone over on the Nexus was able to extract the base config files for the games. One of these includes the scalability settings that define what low/medium/etc. is. In addition to the settings you'd expect to see, there's another scalability group called "cine". I'm assuming this is some kind of ultra graphics preset that is either used in cut scenes or maybe for the developers to make screenshots.

Anyways, I copy and pasted the "cine" preset into the scalability.ini file and made it so these settings replace the high presets. Here's what my scalability file looks like now:

[ViewDistanceQuality@3]
r.ViewDistanceScale=10.0

[ShadowQuality@3]
r.LightFunctionQuality=1
r.ShadowQuality=5
r.Shadow.CSM.MaxCascades=10
r.Shadow.MaxResolution=4096
r.Shadow.MaxCSMResolution=4096
r.Shadow.RadiusThreshold=0
r.Shadow.DistanceScale=1.0
r.Shadow.CSM.TransitionScale=1.0
r.Shadow.PreShadowResolutionFactor=1.0
r.DistanceFieldShadowing=1
r.VolumetricFog=1
r.VolumetricFog.GridPixelSize=4
r.VolumetricFog.GridSizeZ=128
r.VolumetricFog.HistoryMissSupersampleCount=16
r.LightMaxDrawDistanceScale=1
r.LightMaxShadowDistanceScale=1
r.CapsuleShadows=1
r.Shadow.Virtual.MaxPhysicalPages=8192
r.Shadow.Virtual.ResolutionLodBiasDirectional=-1.5
r.Shadow.Virtual.ResolutionLodBiasDirectionalMoving=-1.5
r.Shadow.Virtual.ResolutionLodBiasLocal=0.0
r.Shadow.Virtual.ResolutionLodBiasLocalMoving=0.0
r.Shadow.Virtual.SMRT.RayCountDirectional=16
r.Shadow.Virtual.SMRT.SamplesPerRayDirectional=8
r.Shadow.Virtual.SMRT.RayCountLocal=16
r.Shadow.Virtual.SMRT.SamplesPerRayLocal=8

[GlobalIlluminationQuality@3]
r.DistanceFieldAO=1
r.AOQuality=2
r.Lumen.DiffuseIndirect.Allow=1
r.LumenScene.Radiosity.ProbeSpacing=4
r.LumenScene.Radiosity.HemisphereProbeResolution=4
r.Lumen.TraceMeshSDFs.Allow=1
r.Lumen.ScreenProbeGather.RadianceCache.ProbeResolution=32
r.Lumen.ScreenProbeGather.RadianceCache.NumProbesToTraceBudget=1000
r.Lumen.ScreenProbeGather.DownsampleFactor=8
r.Lumen.ScreenProbeGather.TracingOctahedronResolution=16
r.Lumen.ScreenProbeGather.IrradianceFormat=0
r.Lumen.ScreenProbeGather.StochasticInterpolation=0
r.Lumen.ScreenProbeGather.FullResolutionJitterWidth=.5
r.Lumen.ScreenProbeGather.TwoSidedFoliageBackfaceDiffuse=1
r.Lumen.ScreenProbeGather.ScreenTraces.HZBTraversal.FullResDepth=1
r.Lumen.TranslucencyVolume.GridPixelSize=32
r.Lumen.TranslucencyVolume.TraceFromVolume=1
r.Lumen.TranslucencyVolume.TracingOctahedronResolution=4
r.Lumen.TranslucencyVolume.RadianceCache.ProbeResolution=16
r.Lumen.TranslucencyVolume.RadianceCache.NumProbesToTraceBudget=1000

[ReflectionQuality@3]
r.SSR.Quality=4
r.SSR.HalfResSceneColor=0
r.Lumen.Reflections.Allow=1
r.Lumen.Reflections.DownsampleFactor=1
r.Lumen.Reflections.MaxRoughnessToTraceForFoliage=0.4
r.Lumen.Reflections.ScreenSpaceReconstruction.TonemapStrength=0
r.Lumen.TranslucencyReflections.FrontLayer.Allow=1
r.Lumen.TranslucencyReflections.FrontLayer.Enable=1

[PostProcessQuality@3]
r.MotionBlurQuality=4
r.MotionBlur.HalfResGather=0
r.AmbientOcclusionMipLevelFactor=0.4
r.AmbientOcclusionMaxQuality=100
r.AmbientOcclusionLevels=-1
r.AmbientOcclusionRadiusScale=1.0
r.GTAO.Numangles=4
r.DepthOfFieldQuality=4
r.RenderTargetPoolMin=1000
r.LensFlareQuality=3
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=1
r.EyeAdaptationQuality=2
r.BloomQuality=5
r.Bloom.ScreenPercentage=100
r.FastBlurThreshold=100
r.Upscale.Quality=3
r.LightShaftQuality=1
r.Filter.SizeScale=1
r.Tonemapper.Quality=5

r.DOF.Gather.ResolutionDivisor=1 ; do the gathering at full resolution
r.DOF.Gather.AccumulatorQuality=1 ; higher gathering accumulator quality
r.DOF.Gather.PostfilterMethod=1 ; Median3x3 postfilering method
r.DOF.Gather.EnableBokehSettings=1 ; bokeh simulation when gathering
r.DOF.Gather.RingCount=5 ; high number of samples when gathering
r.DOF.Scatter.ForegroundCompositing=1 ; additive foreground scattering
r.DOF.Scatter.BackgroundCompositing=2 ; background scattering occlusion
r.DOF.Scatter.EnableBokehSettings=1 ; no bokeh simulation when scattering
r.DOF.Scatter.MaxSpriteRatio=0.25 ; only a maximum of 10% of scattered bokeh
r.DOF.Recombine.Quality=2 ; highest slight out of focus
r.DOF.Recombine.EnableBokehSettings=1 ; bokeh simulation on slight out of focus
r.DOF.TemporalAAQuality=1 ; more stable temporal accumulation
r.DOF.Kernel.MaxForegroundRadius=0.025
r.DOF.Kernel.MaxBackgroundRadius=0.025

[TextureQuality@3]
r.Streaming.MipBias=0
r.Streaming.AmortizeCPUToGPUCopy=0
r.Streaming.MaxNumTexturesToStreamPerFrame=0
r.Streaming.Boost=1
r.MaxAnisotropy=8
r.VT.MaxAnisotropy=8
r.Streaming.LimitPoolSizeToVRAM=0
r.Streaming.PoolSize=3000
r.Streaming.MaxEffectiveScreenSize=0

[EffectsQuality@3]
r.TranslucencyLightingVolumeDim=64
r.RefractionQuality=2
r.SceneColorFormat=4
r.DetailMode=2
r.TranslucencyVolumeBlur=1
r.MaterialQualityLevel=1 ; High quality
r.SSS.Scale=1
r.SSS.SampleSet=2
r.SSS.Quality=1
r.SSS.HalfRes=0
r.SSGI.Quality=4
r.EmitterSpawnRateScale=1.0
r.ParticleLightQuality=2
r.SkyAtmosphere.AerialPerspectiveLUT.FastApplyOnOpaque=0
r.SkyAtmosphere.AerialPerspectiveLUT.SampleCountMaxPerSlice=8
r.SkyAtmosphere.AerialPerspectiveLUT.DepthResolution=32.0
r.SkyAtmosphere.FastSkyLUT=0
r.SkyAtmosphere.FastSkyLUT.SampleCountMin=4.0
r.SkyAtmosphere.FastSkyLUT.SampleCountMax=256.0
r.SkyAtmosphere.SampleCountMin=8.0
r.SkyAtmosphere.SampleCountMax=256.0
r.SkyAtmosphere.TransmittanceLUT.UseSmallFormat=0
r.SkyAtmosphere.TransmittanceLUT.SampleCount=30.0
r.SkyAtmosphere.MultiScatteringLUT.SampleCount=20.0
r.SkyLight.RealTimeReflectionCapture=1
fx.Niagara.QualityLevel=4
r.Refraction.OffsetQuality=1

[ShadingQuality@0]
r.HairStrands.SkyLighting.IntegrationType=1
r.HairStrands.SkyAO.SampleCount=8
r.HairStrands.Visibility.MSAA.SamplePerPixel=8
r.AnisotropicMaterials=1

Couple quick notes:
  • Any overrides you have in engine.ini will actually remove the same line from this file. So if you have a motion blur setting different from above, it'll knock it out of scalability.
  • The game automatically removes any lines that are the same as the existing high preset, so after you start and then close the game you'll see a number of lines get taken out.
  • Shading quality seems to control VRS. I have that set to off in my settings, so I had to use that preset rather than high when making this file.
So here's my actual scalability file with the lines mentioned above removed:

[ViewDistanceQuality@3]
r.ViewDistanceScale=10.0

[ShadowQuality@3]
r.Shadow.MaxResolution=4096
r.Shadow.MaxCSMResolution=4096
r.Shadow.RadiusThreshold=0
r.VolumetricFog=1
r.VolumetricFog.GridPixelSize=4
r.VolumetricFog.GridSizeZ=128
r.VolumetricFog.HistoryMissSupersampleCount=16
r.Shadow.Virtual.MaxPhysicalPages=8192
r.Shadow.Virtual.ResolutionLodBiasLocalMoving=0.0
r.Shadow.Virtual.SMRT.RayCountDirectional=16
r.Shadow.Virtual.SMRT.SamplesPerRayDirectional=8
r.Shadow.Virtual.SMRT.RayCountLocal=16
r.Shadow.Virtual.SMRT.SamplesPerRayLocal=8

[GlobalIlluminationQuality@3]
r.Lumen.ScreenProbeGather.RadianceCache.NumProbesToTraceBudget=1000
r.Lumen.ScreenProbeGather.DownsampleFactor=8
r.Lumen.ScreenProbeGather.TracingOctahedronResolution=16
r.Lumen.ScreenProbeGather.FullResolutionJitterWidth=.5
r.Lumen.TranslucencyVolume.TracingOctahedronResolution=4
r.Lumen.TranslucencyVolume.RadianceCache.ProbeResolution=16
r.Lumen.TranslucencyVolume.RadianceCache.NumProbesToTraceBudget=1000

[ReflectionQuality@3]
r.SSR.Quality=4
r.Lumen.TranslucencyReflections.FrontLayer.Enable=1

[PostProcessQuality@3]
r.GTAO.Numangles=4
r.DepthOfFieldQuality=4
r.RenderTargetPoolMin=1000
r.LensFlareQuality=3
r.Bloom.ScreenPercentage=100
r.DOF.Gather.ResolutionDivisor=1 ; do the gathering at full resolution
r.DOF.Gather.EnableBokehSettings=1 ; bokeh simulation when gathering
r.DOF.Gather.RingCount=5 ; high number of samples when gathering
r.DOF.Scatter.BackgroundCompositing=2 ; background scattering occlusion
r.DOF.Scatter.EnableBokehSettings=1 ; no bokeh simulation when scattering
r.DOF.Scatter.MaxSpriteRatio=0.25 ; only a maximum of 10% of scattered bokeh
r.DOF.Recombine.Quality=2 ; highest slight out of focus
r.DOF.Recombine.EnableBokehSettings=1 ; bokeh simulation on slight out of focus

[TextureQuality@3]
r.Streaming.PoolSize=3000

[EffectsQuality@3]
r.SSGI.Quality=4
r.SkyAtmosphere.AerialPerspectiveLUT.FastApplyOnOpaque=0
r.SkyAtmosphere.AerialPerspectiveLUT.SampleCountMaxPerSlice=8
r.SkyAtmosphere.AerialPerspectiveLUT.DepthResolution=32.0
r.SkyAtmosphere.FastSkyLUT=0
r.SkyAtmosphere.FastSkyLUT.SampleCountMax=256.0
r.SkyAtmosphere.SampleCountMin=8.0
r.SkyAtmosphere.SampleCountMax=256.0
r.SkyAtmosphere.TransmittanceLUT.SampleCount=30.0
r.SkyAtmosphere.MultiScatteringLUT.SampleCount=20.0
fx.Niagara.QualityLevel=4

[ShadingQuality@0]
r.HairStrands.SkyLighting.IntegrationType=1
r.HairStrands.SkyAO.SampleCount=8
r.HairStrands.Visibility.MSAA.SamplePerPixel=8
r.AnisotropicMaterials=1

Here's my engine.ini settings right now. This removes a lot of the post processing along with the black bars.

[SystemSettings]
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
r.Tonemapper.GrainQuantization=0
r.NT.Lens.Distortion.Intensity=0
r.NT.Lens.Distortion.Stretch=0
r.NT.Lens.Softness.RadiusSampleCount=0
r.NT.Lens.Softness.Intensity=0
r.NT.Lens.ChromaticAberration.Intensity=0
r.FilmGrain=0
r.DefaultFeature.MotionBlur=0
r.MotionBlurQuality=0
r.Refraction.Blur=0
r.MotionBlur.Directions=0
r.NT.AllowAspectRatioHorizontalExtension=0
r.NT.EnableConstrainAspectRatio=0
r.MaxAnisotropy=16
r.VT.MaxAnisotropy=16

[/Script/Engine.LocalPlayer]
AspectRatioAxisConstraint=AspectRatio_MaintainXFOV

EDIT: Neglected to list where the files are located lmao

C:\Users\USER_NAME\AppData\Local\Hellblade2\Saved\Config\Windows

Last edited:
I bought both games yesterday and I started with the first one. I did however start up Hellblade 2 to see what the fuss was all about.

MY GOD!! I thought Robocop was a good example of UE5 done right (and it still is. Its GORGEOUS) but this game..... The water dripping down rocks, the audio. Its batshit crazy.

Funny thing is that Hellblade 2 runs WAY better then the first game. HB1 im getting around 70-90 fps with DLSS on and set to Quality. HB2 runs at around 100 fps with DLSS with everything maxed and an edited ini.

I did remove the bars, distortions and Chromatic Headache though. Not playing part 2 until I finished the first.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I can see some visual parallels with The Northman, but imo the tone and look of this game feel very reminiscent of Justin Kurzel's adaptation of Macbeth.

qFb48F7.jpg

macbeth-close-up-1920x1200-wallpaper-17699.jpg
MV5-BMTgx-MDE2-ODU0-NV5-BMl5-Ban-Bn-Xk-Ft-ZTgw-MTgw-ODc2-NTE-V1-FMjpg-UX2160.jpg
Definitely way more color, and even the same face paint for that one scene in Hellblade. I need to see this.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Gentlemen, I believe I have found a way to further enhance the graphics in-game.

Someone over on the Nexus was able to extract the base config files for the games. One of these includes the scalability settings that define what low/medium/etc. is. In addition to the settings you'd expect to see, there's another scalability group called "cine". I'm assuming this is some kind of ultra graphics preset that is either used in cut scenes or maybe for the developers to make screenshots.

Anyways, I copy and pasted the "cine" preset into the scalability.ini file and made it so these settings replace the high presets. Here's what my scalability file looks like now:

Couple quick notes:
  • Any overrides you have in engine.ini will actually remove the same line from this file. So if you have a motion blur setting different from above, it'll knock it out of scalability.
  • The game automatically removes any lines that are the same as the existing high preset, so after you start and then close the game you'll see a number of lines get taken out.
  • Shading quality seems to control VRS. I have that set to off in my settings, so I had to use that preset rather than high when making this file.

Here's my engine.ini settings right now. This removes a lot of the post processing along with the black bars.
Screen(s), pls?

Last edited:

Couple quick notes:

Maybe good to mention where the corresponding ini's can be found:

Driveletter:\Users\profilename\AppData\Local\Hellblade2\Saved\Config\Windows

DaGwaphics

Fantastic shots. Nice to see the teeth are nice and detailed like the original trailer, many on the internet were extremely concerned about a possible downgrade there.

The emotion on the faces during battle is a real highlight.

Last edited:
To be fair this is a 6 hour linear game. I doubt even on next gen consoles we will see a massive 50 hour open world game with these kind of graphics. We could do obviously but that game probably going to take most of next gen to develop.
And it'll come with a mandatory 4TB ssd.

UnrealEck

I'm really not that interested in 'moviegames' but I have a really healthy set up. RTX 4090, AW3423DW and Sennheiser HD800S and IE600. It's really that reason alone I feel I might try this game, but I'll need to get the first one too as it's clearly heavily tied to it.

Bungie

I'm really not that interested in 'moviegames' but I have a really healthy set up. RTX 4090, AW3423DW and Sennheiser HD800S and IE600. It's really that reason alone I feel I might try this game, but I'll need to get the first one too as it's clearly heavily tied to it.
There's a recap at the start of HB2, as for 'moviegames' I personally always felt like I was playing the game if that makes sense. Nothing about HB2 feels too drawn out like some walking & talking segments in games, There's moments that feel like a cutscene and you have to stop touching your controller to be like omg it's me doing this haha. Worth a play in my book. Let me know whacha think if you give it a try :)

OneBigPuss

Can someone take a screenshots of rocks (very close without blur)? I want to compare quality with my settings because i think something is wrong with texture quality on my end.

ZAepKot.jpeg

So does it match the original trailer?
It's not nearly as heavily post processed as the original trailer.. but the model is exactly the same. Does it match it perfectly? Nah.. that exact animation doesn't exist in the game but I'll take another pic that tries to be closer when I have some time, and I'll try to match the focal range it uses in the original trailer.

As for effects and such, no the game is downgraded a fair bit from the OG trailer. Rain and fire effects aren't nearly as good of course. Still got a ways to go. :]

Alright, so I tried a bit and got it somewhat decently close. I'm not going to spend too much time on it lol.

sencg.png
sengame.png

There is NO post editing to this image. Everything here was done using the in-game photo mode, adding 2 additional colored lights and adjusting the focal distances and FOV. Sucks they didn't use the same animations in the full game... but as you can see.. it's very clearly something that can be done with this engine in real-time by professionals who actually know what they're doing with cameras and lighting. The model is damn near the same outside of the hair and clothing.

Obviously other parts of the game don't hold up quuuiiiiite as well as the initial trailer. As I said the fire and other effects are drastically toned down, probably for the consoles, since it's simply too demanding. Still though, pretty amazing how close they got.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Alright, so I tried a bit and got it somewhat decently close. I'm not going to spend too much time on it lol.

sencg.png
sengame.png

There is NO post editing to this image. Everything here was done using the in-game photo mode, adding 2 additional colored lights and adjusting the focal distances and FOV. Sucks they didn't use the same animations in the full game... but as you can see.. it's very clearly something that can be done with this engine in real-time by professionals who actually know what they're doing with cameras and lighting. The model is damn near the same outside of the hair and clothing.

Obviously other parts of the game don't hold up quuuiiiiite as well as the initial trailer. As I said the fire and other effects are drastically toned down, probably for the consoles, since it's simply too demanding. Still though, pretty amazing how close they got.
Nicely done. Insane.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

- Senua pics

Much of this is just some artistic changes anyway. What was initially presented was nearly achieved 100%. So, definite kudos to Ninja Theory!

As for the toned down stuff - perhaps. Even those can be attributed to artistic changes, because sometimes, effects don't need to be as pronounced to get the point across. It could have been a performance issue, but I can imagine it being other factors. Another thing that I give Hellblade more credit on is, the further I progress through the game, the more I realize this is some of the best AF I've ever seen used in a real-time video game. It's why some of the textures are so jarring up close, because they look damn good from a distance and that's a testament to the wonderfully executed use of this effect.

Last edited:
Much of this is just some artistic changes anyway. What was initially presented was nearly achieved 100%. So, definite kudos to Ninja Theory!

As for the toned down stuff - perhaps. Even those can be attributed to artistic changes, because sometimes, effects don't need to be as pronounced to get the point across. It could have been a performance issue, but I can imagine it being other factors. Another thing that I give Hellblade more credit on is, the further I progress through the game, the more I realize this is some of the best AF I've ever seen used in a real-time video game. It's why some of the textures are so jarring up close, because they look damn good from a distance and that's a testament to the wonderfully executed use of this effect.
The ocean waves and fire certainly must not be artistic decisions - the waves and fire in that OG thing looked damn near as photo real as the rest of it. I feel like we’re a long way away from actually achieving that in realtime. It’s amazing they got this close with everything else tho

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
The ocean waves and fire certainly must not be artistic decisions - the waves and fire in that OG thing looked damn near as photo real as the rest of it. I feel like we’re a long way away from actually achieving that in realtime. It’s amazing they got this close with everything else tho
Maybe ....maybe not. That's the thing about game development - you just don't know unless the dev is explicit about it. I'm not entirely convinced that the Series X couldn't do it.

At the same time, it's possible that it couldn't, but considering that the majority of the game either matches or exceeds the OG gameplay trailers, I'm happy to give it (X) benefit of the doubt.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

sencg.png
sengame.png

Happy You Good GIF

I took picture(s) of that segment too but never thought about comparing it with the original announcement trailer.

If the OG was purely a rendering (since the developer said nothing of the game was even in development at that time), they did a remarkably good job of matching the target render.

Top Bottom