• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 |OT| Another bug infested game

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Will this game have matchmaking or do you have to manually invite people for online?

Game has crossplay so (random) matchmaking is a given.

Helldivers 2 is not a rehashed gaas game that is chasing trends. It seems like a naturally organic evolution of Helldivers 1. Just by watching previews, there is nothing really like it on the market. GAAS games that push the genre forward shouldn't automatically be criticized

We've seen recently folks taking the stance that "GaaS is GaaS" and there's no nuance there whatsoever; that's clearly nonsense given the lack of hand-wringing in this or the preview thread and it's pretty obvious why: the game doesn't have a massive amount of baggage it is lugging around. Even in the preview videos I've seen where folks - in between the praise - manage to bring up the fact that, "Yes, this is in fact a live service game. . ." a lot of it is just handwaved away given the quality and just overall "fun" that is on offer (nevermind that this is about as GaaS-y a game as you can get and an opening salvo in SONY's "GaaS Wars!").

. . .TLDR: What a good chunk of the (gaming) public is willing to put up with in terms of live-service and GaaS, seems entirely dependent on how "creative" or "genuine" a person thinks the product on offer is.

stickkidsam

As far as I know. The game is a GaaS for sure, I'm surprised more people haven't talked about that and seem more forgiving of it. I guess because of the price tag?
I despise always online most of the time. Even a game like this I feel should have an offline mode for LAN or just masochistic solo players.

That said, the price tag, alleged restraint with microtransactions, and solid gameplay make it an easier pill to swallow here. The galaxy wide war is an interesting mechanic too, so hopefully that actually pays off.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'm uk but my psn is J-SIMPLE. I'd love to join the fight with some gaf compadres.

Does anyone know if it's cross account with steam and ps5?

I've bought on steam but might pick up on ps5 for when I'm in the spare room. If my account is across both.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I'm uk but my psn is J-SIMPLE. I'd love to join the fight with some gaf compadres.

Does anyone know if it's cross account with steam and ps5?

I've bought on steam but might pick up on ps5 for when I'm in the spare room. If my account is across both.
I didn't know you were UK. I only play with older creeps who make me feel uncomfortable and excited at the same time. You also have to be able to peel a banana with your lips

bender

What time is it?
As far as I know. The game is a GaaS for sure, I'm surprised more people haven't talked about that and seem more forgiving of it. I guess because of the price tag?

I didn't love the original but the perspective shift of the sequel had me curious so I watched some previews today. The premium battle pass was an immediate turn off. I guess I'll wait to hear more about the premium currency gains while playing the game before final judgement.

MiguelItUp

I didn't play the first game and may give this a whirl. It's good to see people not immediately writing off a game just because it's always online. For a bit there it was feeling like that was almost always the case.

envyzeal

I’m in, but only next week (Brazilian carnaval, so I won’t be playing ps5)
GMT +3 or not feel free to add me: bmaia

Markio128

PSN: MarkyUK

I’m from Sweden.

Dumb And Dumber Lol GIF

drotahorror

This requires a PSN account on PC right? I'd like to add a few folks but not sure if I should be adding steam names or PSN or both.

I despise always online most of the time. Even a game like this I feel should have an offline mode for LAN or just masochistic solo players.

That said, the price tag, alleged restraint with microtransactions, and solid gameplay make it an easier pill to swallow here. The galaxy wide war is an interesting mechanic too, so hopefully that actually pays off.

As customers spending $40-$70 for a new standard edition of game we should never have to worry about not being able to play it someday in the future! I don't care if it's 2 years, 5 years, or 20 years from now. That should not happen and gamers should never let devs off the hook on this issue. I just learned that I can't play Battleborn, even if I felt like popping in my old disc for it, because it went offline for good. I know it wasn't a great game but it was pretty darn fun. Its really a crime that publishers are allowed to do this to gamers. I can't play most of Destiny 2's campaigns either because they decided to just remove it from the game to "make more space for new content". Fucking rediculous! They even removed the best campaign in Destiny's history with Forspoken ..it's just gone. I did the math and its about $160 worth of content they "vaulted".

This industry cam really suck, esp on consoles due to the closed box nature of it. Gamers passivity towards these practices are a big part of the problem.

lee50_10

Has anyone pre ordered on CDkeys.com and know when they drop the codes? My Steam/PSN is Lee50_10 feel free to add.

Has anyone pre ordered on CDkeys.com and know when they drop the codes? My Steam/PSN is Lee50_10 feel free to add.
They usually don't release the codes until day of release in my experience. Typically the time the game goes live.

I ordered on GMG for £29 with code FEB17 for 17% off and it was delivered yesterday. Keys also come directly from the publisher.

[Sigma]

Hoping the servers be ok by the time I play which will be Thursday around 3pm knowing fed ex or ups. You know the servers are likely going to be fucked for a while lol.

As customers spending $40-$70 for a new standard edition of game we should never have to worry about not being able to play it someday in the future! I don't care if it's 2 years, 5 years, or 20 years from now. That should not happen and gamers should never let devs off the hook on this issue. I just learned that I can't play Battleborn, even if I felt like popping in my old disc for it, because it went offline for good. I know it wasn't a great game but it was pretty darn fun. Its really a crime that publishers are allowed to do this to gamers. I can't play most of Destiny 2's campaigns either because they decided to just remove it from the game to "make more space for new content". Fucking rediculous! They even removed the best campaign in Destiny's history with Forspoken ..it's just gone. I did the math and its about $160 worth of content they "vaulted".

This industry cam really suck, esp on consoles due to the closed box nature of it. Gamers passivity towards these practices are a big part of the problem.
Its always online for a reason.
First game became riddled with cheaters/hacks and since this is a solely PvE game - they irreparably ruined the experience for a lot of innocent players.

Server side (online) helps mitigate a lot of this. Blizzard did the same waaayyy back in Diablo2 (online vs offline characters), due to D1 players.

Hot5pur

Also pumped for this one, hopefully it's as addicting as Outriders was.
My gripe with the original is that it got somewhat boring quickly, I hope that's not the case here. I think the original had very slow moments at times and just didn't have a certain intensity and focus, and fun factor.
As far as addicting third person shooters go, Outriders is the GOAT for me (it's also a looter shooter). Too bad the game launched in a messy state and got shit all over.

3rd best selling game at the moment. If it’s as fun as the videos, we might have a an unexpected winner.

zvgidpp.jpg
Steam WW it's #2 on the list of best sellers, only behind Palworld (a cheaper viral game).

The price point, the fact they are planning a lot of free content in the future, the simultanious PC and PS5 release. At first sight seems like Sony is doing everything right for this. We'll see.

Ogbert

Also pumped for this one, hopefully it's as addicting as Outriders was.
My gripe with the original is that it got somewhat boring quickly, I hope that's not the case here. I think the original had very slow moments at times and just didn't have a certain intensity and focus, and fun factor.
As far as addicting third person shooters go, Outriders is the GOAT for me (it's also a looter shooter). Too bad the game launched in a messy state and got shit all over.
I think it’s a case of managing expectations.

It’s not going to be your main game. It will likely be a fun shooter to drop in and out of.

Can't wait for your opinions. I'll buy only if it's good. Waiting for reviews first.

Incredible how i hated the first 2 trailers and now i look at gameplay and it all looks so good. No wonder Sony doesn't show games too far from release now, lmao.

GymWolf

Gold Member
How stupid it is to unlock the game today at 10PM in italy and part of europe? just unlock the fucking thing tonight at 00:01 ffs :lollipop_squinting:

Edit: nevermind it's 10AM :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
Top Bottom